Cassius Winston Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Cassius Winston Thread 

Post#61 » by Ruzious » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 pm

As Warner Wolf might have said - If you had 2 players named Cassius going consecutively in the NBA draft, you won! - Winston at 53 and Stanley at 54.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#62 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:04 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:can I just be happy about the draft picks and watch them play first before start criticizing them. Most wizards fans are split between the picks we made.

H6ll no you can't! What's the matter with you? Don't you realize how much better & many more we could have gotten?

& it's not about criticizing the picks -- is it their fault? It's about criticizing the guys who made the picks -- for making them.

Big difference, there, really big difference. Wrong team picks you, you can be ruined. Look what happened to Admiral once we picked him! Kid stopped being able to play the game.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#63 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:As Warner Wolf might have said - If you had 2 players named Cassius going consecutively in the NBA draft, you won! - Winston at 53 and Stanley at 54.

Unfortunately, neither of them either float like a butterfly OR sting like a bee
In Rizzo we trust
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#64 » by DCZards » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:05 am

Fred VanVleet just signed a 4-year, $85 mil contract with the Raptors. Here’s one of the 2016 pre-draft reports on VanVleet. Sounds very similar to what’s being said about Winston. (VanVleet went undrafted.)

Chad Ford's Top 100 ranking -- No. 62: "I've always thought VanVleet had the makings of a good, dependable backup point guard in the league. But I think his lack of size and elite athletic ability really give scouts pause. It's hard to be lacking in both of those at his position."

Scouting report -- positives:
• Smooth, steady point guard
• Good shooter with deep range

Scouting report -- negatives:
• Lacks size for position
• Lacks explosive athletic ability
payitforward
RealGM

Post#65 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 am

To be perfectly clear, from my POV, Cassius Winston was an absolute steal at #53.

He & VanVleet -- they are similar in size, that's for sure! By my analysis VanVleet was slightly the more productive player overall.

Winston is the better scorer -- more points & higher efficiency on higher usage. He also got significantly more assists than VanVleet.

But, VanVleet rarely turned the ball over & had lots of steals, whereas Winston turned the ball over a fair amount & had way fewer steals. VV also out-rebounded Winston.

Still, the 2 guys were close in overall productivity. &, obviously, if Winston develops in the way VanVleet did, he'll be a big-time player. OTOH, right now he's a guy who was a bargain at #53.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager

Post#66 » by DCZards » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:30 am

payitforward wrote:To be perfectly clear, from my POV, Cassius Winston was an absolute steal at #53.

He & VanVleet -- they are similar in size, that's for sure! By my analysis VanVleet was slightly the more productive player overall.

Winston is the better scorer -- more points & higher efficiency on higher usage. He also got significantly more assists than VanVleet.

But, VanVleet rarely turned the ball over & had lots of steals, whereas Winston turned the ball over a fair amount & had way fewer steals. VV also out-rebounded Winston.

Still, the 2 guys were close in overall productivity. &, obviously, if Winston develops in the way VanVleet did, he'll be a big-time player. OTOH, right now he's a guy who was a bargain at #53.

PIF, I don't how you come to the conclusion that VanVleet was more productive when Winston was better than him in 5 categories (FT%, 2pt%, 3pt%, Pts. and assists) while VanVleet was better in 3 categories (steals, TOs, Rebs).

In addition, Winston has a significant edge in a very important category for PGs (assists) while VanVleet has a modest edge in rebounds, which in my imo is a less important category when judging PGs.

But I will give VanVleet props for his lower TOs and more steals.

Yes, they are close overall but I give a clear edge to Winston when it comes to their #s in college.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#67 » by youngWizzy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 am

The Fred VanVleet comparisons to practically every upperclassman guard drafted in the late second round/undrafted need to go. It's hard for a lot of players to accomplish what he did in his time in the NBA.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#68 » by Kanyewest » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:48 am

Wasn't Fred considered a good defender coming out of Wichita state, at least at the college level?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#69 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 pm

youngWizzy wrote:The Fred VanVleet comparisons to practically every upperclassman guard drafted in the late second round/undrafted need to go. It's hard for a lot of players to accomplish what he did in his time in the NBA.

Can I still compare every short unathletic guard to him? :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#70 » by trast66 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Anyone know where I can get an analysis of his hip bend and back arch?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#71 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 pm

Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#72 » by Eli Babak » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:59 am

Read on Twitter
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#73 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:20 am

Marlon Taylor has some springs for legs. Dude can get up in a hurry. Hasn't played great, but athleticism for miles.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#74 » by DCZards » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:00 am

doclinkin wrote:Marlon Taylor has some springs for legs. Dude can get up in a hurry. Hasn't played great, but athleticism for miles.

Noticed that Taylor is from my former neck of the woods--Mount Vernon, NY. Mt. Vernon HS has turned out its share of ballers, including Gus and Ray Williams, Rodney and Scooter McCray and Ben Gordon. Actor Denzel Washington and rapper Heavy D are also from Money Earnin' Mt. Vernon.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#75 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:42 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:To be perfectly clear, from my POV, Cassius Winston was an absolute steal at #53.

PIF, I don't how you come to the conclusion that VanVleet was more productive when Winston was better than him in 5 categories (FT%, 2pt%, 3pt%, Pts. and assists) while VanVleet was better in 3 categories (steals, TOs, Rebs).

In addition, Winston has a significant edge in a very important category for PGs (assists) while VanVleet has a modest edge in rebounds, which in my imo is a less important category when judging PGs.

But I will give VanVleet props for his lower TOs and more steals.

Yes, they are close overall but I give a clear edge to Winston when it comes to their #s in college.

Missed this...

Actually, as Seniors, VanVleet had more assists per 40 minutes.

But, if we look at their career numbers per 40 minutes, & we leave out VanVleet's edge in rebounding, the two players are about equal in productivity.

Better yet, if we leave out turnovers, Winston is much much better than VanVleet. & if we leave out steals too, why... it's no contest at all -- Cassius Winston is a far far better player than Fred VanVleet.

But, really, Zards, isn't that a little bit unnecessary? Aren't we really just turning the info this way & that until we find a way to have it tell us that Winston put up better numbers?

Here's a better way to look at it: VanVleet put up a bit better college numbers than Cassius Winston -- but, he did it against a lower level of competition than Winston faced. & that's the truth! I think Cassius Winston has a chance to be quite a good NBA player!
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#76 » by WallToWall » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:06 am

OFFICIAL: We’ve transferred G Cassius Winston to the @ErieBayHawks. He will play with them at the @nbagleague single site in Orlando this week.

#DCAboveAll | @cassiuswinston
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#77 » by NatP4 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:52 pm

4 games in the G-league and Winston has been great.

16.7 points 6.1 assists on 67% TS with a 17.8 net rating.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#78 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:11 pm

NatP4 wrote:4 games in the G-league and Winston has been great.

16.7 points 6.1 assists on 67% TS with a 17.8 net rating.

I still don't think Winston has the minimum level of athleticism necessary to function on an NBA level. He can't guard anyone and he can't bend a defense. Being really smart and skilled isn't enough when you are short and slow. His peak is a Shabazz Napier level player, and those guys are always available. Indeed, the actual Shabazz Napier is available.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#79 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:24 am

Great to see him doing so well. Here are his per-40-minute numbers: https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1630216/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Per40

To see some mind-blowing G League numbers, take a look at what Jordan Bell is doing per 40 minutes: https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1628395/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Per40.

Those are the kinds of numbers Nikola Jokic puts up in the NBA. Literally. I just compared them.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#80 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:44 am

Bell is an NBA player. He really doesn't need the G-League.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards