Toronto's new center rotation is ... ?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

TPV
Senior
And1: 144

Re: Toronto's new center rotation is ... ? 

Post#21 » by TPV » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Whiteside makes the most sense now. Baynes as well.

Maybe Cousins on a cheap prove yourself deal

I can't picture Whiteside on the Raptors. Doesn't fit the team at all. Maybe pick him up on a 1-year deal as a stop gap since he has the most starting experience out of anyone left on the free agent market.

If not him, then I'd want Gasol to come back. Baynes would be a good pick up too.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#22 » by Bentley1225 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:02 pm

TPV wrote:

I can't picture Whiteside on the Raptors. Doesn't fit the team at all. Maybe pick him up on a 1-year deal as a stop gap since he has the most starting experience out of anyone left on the free agent market.

If not him, then I'd want Gasol to come back. Baynes would be a good pick up too.

Ill take talent over apparent attitude reputation of Whiteside in a 1 year deal. No risk that way. He needs to realize if he’s going to stay in the league and get paid as much as possible he needs to rebound and block shots. His offence will come from garbage buckets. If he wants his offensive number called, go play in China
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,501

Post#23 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Pascal Siakam and OG Anunoby? lol
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Post#24 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 pm

TPV wrote:

Think Whiteside or Cousins make sense. Nurse has the respect of his players plus Masai strikes me as a GM who will do whatever it takes to make his players happy. Don't see too many offers for Whiteside or Cousins they are probably going to get prove it type of offers
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#25 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:33 pm

Wouldn’t touch Cousins if I were them, Baynes seems like the best option.
Yenrallik1111
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#26 » by Yenrallik1111 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:34 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
TPV wrote:

Think Whiteside or Cousins make sense. Nurse has the respect of his players plus Masai strikes me as a GM who will do whatever it takes to make his players happy. Don't see too many offers for Whiteside or Cousins they are probably going to get prove it type of offers

Ahh, well. Masai sure didn't make his franchise PG in Lowry too happy when he dealt Demar away. But that did end up being a championship ring type move. With that in mind, I think Masai is simply a smart executive and he will make moves that are in the best interest of the team. honestly, I would love to have jakob and demar back. let demar and kyle have a contract year together and see what happens after. jakob would be nice to simply have back in general, he could fit next to pascal well for awhile. I think his new contract is pretty reasonable. but that is just my little pipe dream.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#27 » by chrbal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 pm

Pistons haven’t officially waived Dedmon yet, you can have him for mccaw and Johnson. Pistons would sell one of them to thunder or Knicks, avoid paying dead money for 5 years
TPV
Senior

Post#28 » by TPV » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:14 pm

chrbal wrote:Pistons haven’t officially waived Dedmon yet, you can have him for mccaw and Johnson. Pistons would sell one of them to thunder or Knicks, avoid paying dead money for 5 years

This should happen for both sides. Phone it in!
TPV
Senior

Post#29 » by TPV » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
TPV wrote:

Ill take talent over apparent attitude reputation of Whiteside in a 1 year deal. No risk that way. He needs to realize if he’s going to stay in the league and get paid as much as possible he needs to rebound and block shots. His offence will come from garbage buckets. If he wants his offensive number called, go play in China

It's not even the supposed attitude concerns that make Whiteside or Cousins a bad fit. The Raptors don't play in the post or need their bigs to shoot. Now both Whiteside and Cousins shoot a bit, but I'd prefer someone who can extend to three point range. And both are just bad defenders who I don't think will be able to play in the different types of defenses that Nurse likes to employ.

I don't think even the best case scenario of Whiteside or Cousins would make a huge difference on this team, and I'd prefer someone who could better fit for what the Raptors like to do.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#30 » by E S V L » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
E S V L wrote:JV is available...

Sign me up! JV was legit the most universally loved raptor in his time. He fits well with siakam and he an lowry had chemistry.

What would be the offer?
FK NFL
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#31 » by Prospect Dong » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:56 pm

E S V L wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
E S V L wrote:JV is available...

Sign me up! JV was legit the most universally loved raptor in his time. He fits well with siakam and he an lowry had chemistry.

What would be the offer?

Dieng would come a lot cheaper, and offer more shooting (and less of everything else). I wouldn't give up JV for a single Raptors first.

Otherwise I think Whiteside makes sense as a guy to eat minutes in the regular season, and then he either works out well enough you can live with him in the playoffs, or you sign a ring chaser who can give you 24mpg after the deadline.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#32 » by E S V L » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:41 pm

Prospect Dong wrote:
E S V L wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

What would be the offer?

Dieng would come a lot cheaper, and offer more shooting (and less of everything else). I wouldn't give up JV for a single Raptors first.

Otherwise I think Whiteside makes sense as a guy to eat minutes in the regular season, and then he either works out well enough you can live with him in the playoffs, or you sign a ring chaser who can give you 24mpg after the deadline.

Dieng isn’t a starter. JV should cost the Raptors the 1st 2021, no deal otherwise. I would do it as a Memphis fan.
FK NFL
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#33 » by Prospect Dong » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:46 pm

E S V L wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:
E S V L wrote:
What would be the offer?

Dieng isn’t a starter. JV should cost the Raptors the 1st 2021, no deal otherwise. I would do it as a Memphis fan.

I wouldn't, not for a probably bottom 5/near-certain bottom 10 first rounder. Maybe for an unprotected 1st in a couple of years. But JV is a starting quality C in his prime signed to a good deal, and a rare veteran presence on a team that's stuffed with young guys trying to make their mark on the league. Unless we explicitly move into tank mode for the season, I wouldn't ditch him for a late first.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,490

Post#34 » by bboyskinnylegs » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:01 am

the Raptors won't give up on 2021 free agency to bring JV back. I guess it will be one of Whiteside, Cousins, Baynes, or Len unless they have a trade for some expiring C in mind.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#35 » by Kilo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:10 am

chrbal wrote:Pistons haven’t officially waived Dedmon yet, you can have him for mccaw and Johnson. Pistons would sell one of them to thunder or Knicks, avoid paying dead money for 5 years

Not enough money coming back as Dedmon makes 13M and Johnson and McCaw combined only make 7.6M.

Toronto would be better off waiting for Dedmon to hit FA and sign him with the Room Exception. Dedmon gets paid $13M from Detroit for the season (even if it's stretched in cap hit), so he might even play for vets minimum for the right situation to earn his next longer term contract.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#36 » by Saul Goodman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:42 am

E S V L wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:
E S V L wrote:
What would be the offer?

Johnson
McCaw
Hernandez
2021 lotto prot 1st

For

Jv

Phone it in.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,415

Post#37 » by ThatBoyNick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:46 am

WTH Raptors lol

Raptors could have offered Ibaka double, could have offered Gasol quadruple, and nobody would have blinked an eye... either Ibaka/Gasol REALLY love LA and really want a ring... or the Raps didn’t offer to pay premiums for them.

Baynes is still out there, I really wanted hi for the Rockets, but unless we make a trade to get us further below the cap the best we could offer is vet min.

It seems logical for Baynes to get a 2/18 deal from the Raps.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#38 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:58 am

Baynes: $14.3 million over 2 years with second year team option. Should still go after Whiteside as well. This is a 45 win team now that won’t win a playoff series.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,490

Post#39 » by bboyskinnylegs » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 am

Baynes+Boucher I guess
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Post#40 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:26 am

The word is that Masai gave a 1/$12 million deal because they are $21 million under the luxury tax and wanted to add a player with their MLE probably a backup C.

I don't blame Ibaka for going to The Clippers they needed a veteran stretch five and truth be told there isn't a guy better than Ibaka
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry

Return to Trades and Transactions