ImageImageImage

Gordon Hayward Appreciation Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,220

Re: Gordon Hayward Appreciation Thread 

Post#41 » by K For Three » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:47 am

The Gordon Hayward experience was bizarre. So much hope and heartache all combined into one. Really good player at times though, saw flashes.

I wish him and his family great luck though. Charlotte is a nice city to live in.

rd26
Junior
And1: 592

Post#42 » by rd26 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:06 am

GH has been a great player trapped in a mostly broken body for 3 years. That sucked for both sides. The glimpses of greatness followed by another mia were nervewracking.

He got alot of my respect sticking around in the bubble.

Business is business and he had 120 mil reasons to do what he did.

Best of luck, ill be rooting for you, and kinda glad you moved on all at the same time.
dlamb8888888
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#43 » by dlamb8888888 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:11 am

Is this serious? A Hayward appreciation thread? Thanks for taking over 100MM dollars in three years and doing absolutely nothing to help us win. Then leaving us in the lurch for a huge payday. I don’t fault the guy for the ankle injury, but even when he was healthy, he played timid and passive. Guy shot 2 FT/game in the playoffs this year in 30mpg. Unacceptable. He got outplayed by a rookie in the conference finals and cost us a trip to the finals. Such a waste of money and an opportunity. Who knows how the Indians negotiations went down, but Ainge should’ve traded this guy before the offseason.
dlamb8888888
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#44 » by dlamb8888888 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:15 am

The more I think of it, I can’t believe this guy is getting such a pass around here. I guess nobody is loyal anymore in the league-players or teams, but he did the Celtics dirty. They stuck by him this whole time, and he wants to play for Charlotte and chase the payday. I remember when a player would go through something like that and want to come back and prove himself to the organization and fan base who stuck by him. He sucks. Goodbye.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#45 » by ParticleMan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 am

i said this a couple of times in the last week when everyone was talking about loyalty and him wanting to go home and whatnot: Money talks.

in the end there was no doubt he was going to go for the highest bidder. i don't know what indy offered but i seriously doubt it came close to that number.

thing is, if he is genuinely healthy, he will earn that deal. knowing our luck he probably will be. it's a big gamble for MJ but frankly ain't no other star names lining up to come to Charlotte, so i understand why he did it.
akidlittle
Sophomore
And1: 116

Post#46 » by akidlittle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:37 am

We need to play "Gordon Hayward tribute video" with all of his injuries when the Hornets will play in the Garden jk)
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,344

Post#47 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 am

Sad to see my favourite player go and we will miss him, however with all the injuries it was time to move on. Great BBIQ, awareness, passing and movement without the ball.

The constant effort to come back from injury, quietly dealing with locker room issues and crap thrown his way that weren’t of his own doing.

Didn’t complain about taking more bench minutes and I would imagine helped the growth of Tatum and Brown quite a lot.

Missed the birth of his son and played injured to try and help us to the finals.

Tried to help out with Pacers instead of just walking but can’t blame him for accepting that crazy offer when it came.

Despite all this some people get **** at him or call him whiny. One of the least whiny players out there, has done nothing but honour his contract and give back where he could.

Best of luck Gordo, thanks for your time and effort, a shame it didn’t work out. Hopefully we can still salvage something with a S&T for TPE.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#48 » by Roddy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:35 am

akidlittle wrote:We need to play "Gordon Hayward tribute video" with all of his injuries when the Hornets will play in the Garden jk)

You can make a 10 minutes video with that and all the layups he missed.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#49 » by BillessuR6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 am

There isnt much to be appreciative about...
dans1230
Rookie
And1: 1,141

Post#50 » by dans1230 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 pm

Got paid a ton of money here with little production mostly due to injures. The quick development of Tatum and Brown forced Gordon to become a 3rd or 4th option. It feels like a kick in the balls to see him walk for nothing in return after what feels like waiting for 3 years to see him play to his full potential and the potential of the pay he was receiving. Sounds like the teams are discussing a sign and trade which would hopefully involve a 3rd team because there is nothing in that team that really interests me.
titlebound1
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,354

Post#51 » by titlebound1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:56 pm

I was so excited when we signed him. And now I'm totally fine watching him leave. Good luck with the Bobcats, or whatever they're called now
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,490

Post#52 » by VeryMuchWoke » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 pm

A part of me agrees with all the takes in this thread. It's hard to know how to feel about Gordon. Seems like a mostly good guy, a bit to passive and sulky at times, but he went through a lot here. 3 really tough injury breaks in just 3 years, and the one year he didn't suffer a major injury he was recovering from the last one while the locker room crumbled around him.

As snakebitten as his time was here, I would have loved to have him back on 3/85 or something in that neighborhood. I can't blame him for taking the $ and running, especially with the $ figure coming in about 20M higher than expected.

In the end only one thing's for certain. His wife is a total ****.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#53 » by 31to6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:48 pm

It’s easy to say if only Hayward hadn’t gotten hurt and if only Kyrie hadn’t been cray..

..but if Hayward never gets hurt how do JT and JB develop? I’m not sure I’d make that trade off to find out, honestly. Al/Hay/Kyrie never struck me as a title team even if healthy, given the Warriors and LBJ Cavs.

Still can’t believe Hayward broke his hand on a Lemarcus Aldridge screen. Fair the well and honestly kudos for missing the birth of your son. I couldn’t have done that.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#54 » by Taget » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:00 pm

He has a hot wife. He owned a rocking goatee. Besides that unfortunately his injuries counteracted all his positives. A good player you can't depend on is in some ways worse than a bad player who just accept as is.

That is not necessarily his fault. So we all move on and wish him the best.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,311

Post#55 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Thought he was our 2nd best player last year. Good luck.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#56 » by darrendaye » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 pm

31to6 wrote:It’s easy to say if only Hayward hadn’t gotten hurt and if only Kyrie hadn’t been cray..

..but if Hayward never gets hurt how do JT and JB develop? I’m not sure I’d make that trade off to find out, honestly. Al/Hay/Kyrie never struck me as a title team even if healthy, given the Warriors and LBJ Cavs.

Still can’t believe Hayward broke his hand on a Lemarcus Aldridge screen. Fair the well and honestly kudos for missing the birth of your son. I couldn’t have done that.

Personally I would have preferred a less PG centric offense and more Hayward/Tatum to achieve the hierarchy you would have looked for, but it likely would have been more growing pains in terms of wins and losses and obviously the injury bug derails the whole thing anyway.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#57 » by sam_I_am » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:Thought he was our 2nd best player last year. Good luck.

He was capable of being that good but he played in 5 of 17 playoff games last year. 14/64 in his career. When it mattered, Wannamaker was better simply because he was available. I think he needs a fresh start so he can assert himself again rather than play like a whipped dog. Charlotte is a real good opportunity for him.
SeattleMack
Ballboy
And1: 49

Post#58 » by SeattleMack » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm

Hornet trainer better ask for a raise, he'll be busy.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#59 » by 31to6 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:48 am

I guess, in the end, this sums up my thoughts about Hayward, and his new deal with CHA:
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#60 » by sully00 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:15 am

VeryMuchWoke wrote:A part of me agrees with all the takes in this thread. It's hard to know how to feel about Gordon. Seems like a mostly good guy, a bit to passive and sulky at times, but he went through a lot here. 3 really tough injury breaks in just 3 years, and the one year he didn't suffer a major injury he was recovering from the last one while the locker room crumbled around him.

As snakebitten as his time was here, I would have loved to have him back on 3/85 or something in that neighborhood. I can't blame him for taking the $ and running, especially with the $ figure coming in about 20M higher than expected.

In the end only one thing's for certain. His wife is a total ****.

I was thrilled when we signed him thought he was going be so solid here. But honestly I am so relieved that I don't have to pretend that I like Gordon Hayward anymore. He had become such a timid player and the next CF is right around the corner.

Return to Boston Celtics