Constructing the Timberwolves rotation

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Constructing the Timberwolves rotation 

Post#881 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:42 am

Jedzz wrote:
But I've got a left field question. What are the chances they have some kind of crazy trade in mind that would include sending both Towns and Dlo out of town for some heavy hitter?

If that was ever considered (i dont believe) should have been before the Chris Paul trade to Phoenix.
Im sure that Phoenix would give everything to have KAT, Dlo and Booker together...
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#882 » by younggunsmn » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 am

1. I think we should stick Edwards on the wing for his rookie year. No PG or PF shenanigans.
Make things simple until he gets more minutes under his belt.

2. We have 144 mins to split up between PG?SG?SF
Russell 34, Rubio 30, Beasley 30.
That leaves 50 minutes to split up between Edwards, Okogie, Culver.
I really like the defensive options Okogie and Culver give us, but barring injury there is going to be a minutes crunch which could hinder the development, of Culver especially.

3. Assuming Juancho is re-signed, your PF minutes are split between Juancho, Layman, and Vanderbilt.
The rose colored glasses hope is Vanderbilt becomes your Taj Gibson def/reb guy and Juancho fills his role as bench shooter perfectly.

4. Naz is our only backup C. This is a spot I think we could use a vet backup, for cheap. Maybe Dwayne Dedmon.
Aaron Baynes would be perfect, but that's probably wishful thinking.
If KAT gets hurt again I want someone who can hold down the fort and keep us afloat without completely changing our scheme.

5. Rubio and Russell will share the court at times, but when one is off the court, what are the backcourt pairings going to be?
Rubio/Beasley balances shooting, but Rubio/Edwards balances youth with experience, and it may be more important to get Edwards easier shots to get his confidence up.
Russell/Beasley really seemed to click last year, so maybe that is the better pairing,

PG: Rubio 30, Russell 18
SG: Beasley 30, Russell 16, Okogie 2
SF: Edwards 30, Culver 18
PF: Hernangomez 28, Vanderbilt 15, Layman 5
C: KAT 34, Reid 14

Others:
G: Mclaughlin, Nowell
F: McDaniels

Cut/trade bait: Spellman, Evans

Possible 2-way: Martin
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#883 » by Jedzz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:59 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Left field thought.

We all see the glut of guards, two starting level PGs. Only Rosas/Ryan really know what their plans are to make this work.

Was watching the Edwards/McDaniels welcome presser and then they sort of slipped Rubio talk into it with a question. Rosas steps in to answer and says he's happy to finally be able to talk about that/him and what his playmaking is going to mean to everyone. Now, he did talk about how having Dlo and Rubio will mean 48 minute coverage of the highest level playmaking for all the guards.

But I've got a left field question. What are the chances they have some kind of crazy trade in mind that would include sending both Towns and Dlo out of town for some heavy hitter? Or even just a plethora of these guards and one PG. I mean it looks like they have enough guards to lose a couple, they could lose one PG and still survive. They would be weak on bigs, but uh, I know one heavy hitter who last played without any bigs and he's asking out right now. The Wolves front office guys have connections to teams like Houston, Brooklyn maybe Denver and now Philly. I don't know if any players from Brooklyn that fit this thought but maybe Philly and Houston sure do. Whether big names coming in or going out or both. Any of this remotely possible yet this period?

I see very little chance of this. Like basically no chance. But I will say, that question and answer is what inspired my McLaughlin idea earlier.

Yeah I figured it was out there. Another thing in that presser Rosas talked about was how Edwards and McDaniels both represented position flexibilitiy and how that is becoming a big part of what Wolves will be. I don't really see Towns with position flexibility mostly because we all kind of know he doesn't want to. When Rosas was talking about this point was when I had the left field thought. I still hope your JMac plan comes through for him to get on another roster and us some pf/f depth.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#884 » by Jedzz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:08 am

mercgold3 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
But I've got a left field question. What are the chances they have some kind of crazy trade in mind that would include sending both Towns and Dlo out of town for some heavy hitter?

If that was ever considered (i dont believe) should have been before the Chris Paul trade to Phoenix.
Im sure that Phoenix would give everything to have KAT, Dlo and Booker together...

Good point, but maybe nobody here had any talks going with anyone there at the time when CP deal was getting dreamed up. I wonder if these recent moves by Suns dried up any dreams of such to pull back Booker and caused Rosas to do an about face and so we are seeing that change in plans result in a bit of tempory guard overload as they change gears?

I just can't see any teams in the league really sitting back and saying to themselves, we aren't even going to think about getting James Harden even though he's being waved in the storefront like he is now. You have to at least think about it for a few minutes. And what kind of positions were the Rockets always overloading? guards? Could be the current roster here is just more of that same Houston North ideals.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#885 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:18 am

Jedzz wrote:Another thing in that presser Rosas talked about was how Edwards and McDaniels both represented position flexibilitiy and how that is becoming a big part of what Wolves will be. I don't really see Towns with position flexibility mostly because we all kind of know he doesn't want to. When Rosas was talking about this point was when I had the left field thought.

Center is really probably the hardest position to have that kind of flexibility in this system. You have to be someone like James Johnson athletically to have that flexibility.....which is what a Larry Nance role could look like for example. 1 through 4 is really where most of the defensive switching happens here. That's why it often seems like Minnesota is undersized at PF....because they have to be in this system. RHJ would probably be a 4, Miles Bridges would probably be a 4, Jake Layman plays a lot of 4, Moe Harkless would be a 4, etc. It's a big wing role.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#886 » by Jedzz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:41 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Another thing in that presser Rosas talked about was how Edwards and McDaniels both represented position flexibilitiy and how that is becoming a big part of what Wolves will be. I don't really see Towns with position flexibility mostly because we all kind of know he doesn't want to. When Rosas was talking about this point was when I had the left field thought.

Center is really probably the hardest position to have that kind of flexibility in this system. You have to be someone like James Johnson athletically to have that flexibility.....which is what a Larry Nance role could look like for example. 1 through 4 is really where most of the defensive switching happens here. That's why it often seems like Minnesota is undersized at PF....because they have to be in this system. RHJ would probably be a 4, Miles Bridges would probably be a 4, Jake Layman plays a lot of 4, Moe Harkless would be a 4, etc. It's a big wing role.

That makes a lot of sense, especially keeping Towns. But then I also see teams like Houston not have a traditional center at all. The heat make the finals with Bam 6'8 or 6'9 their lone big boy. I guess they have Kelly Olynyk at 6'11 but they refused to really even use him at times. One difference with Heat would be they were overloading themselves with more classic SF/PF sized players than anything but also definitely utilizing position flexibility with all those guys. Which is maybe why Kelly was out of the gameplan at times. Not that any of this worked against a team like the Lakers and all their little BIGS.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#887 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:04 pm

ESPN+ Insiders - Bobby Marks - Timberwolves Off Season Map

Minnesota Timberwolves

Offseason transactions: Malik Beasley (free agent), Ricky Rubio (trade), Anthony Edwards (draft), Leandro Bolmaro (trade) and Jaden McDaniels(trade) and Ashton Hagans (PG)

What to watch: Juan Hernangomez

The Timberwolves are allowing the forward to go out and shop for a new deal in an unfriendly market. While Minnesota does have leverage, the team should avoid forcing Hernangomez into picking up his one-year, $4.6 million qualifying offer.

Available exceptions: Non-tax midlevel ($9.3 million), biannual ($3.6 million) and minimum

Room under the tax: $10 million

Dates to watch

Naz Reid ($1.5 million), Jaylen Nowell ($1.5 million) and Jarred Vanderbilt ($1.7 million) have non-guaranteed contracts. The contacts become fully guaranteed if they are not waived by February 25.

Players under contract: 14

Note: Leandro Bolmaro is not expected to play with Minnesota this season

Extension eligible: Jarred Vanderbilt

Free-agent status

Juan Hernangomez | Restricted Bird

Evan Turner | Bird

Kelan Martin | Restricted Non-Bird

Jordan McLaughlin | Restricted Non-Bird
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#888 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:36 am

What to think of the Ashton Hagan pickup? Shot 3s at .258, shot 2s at .448 last season.
Good passer/assists production, but also over 3 turnovers/g.

There wasn't better shooting point guards available as udfa? Who wants to say something good about this kid that we might not know.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#889 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 am

Jedzz wrote:What to think of the Ashton Hagan pickup? Shot 3s at .258, shot 2s at .448 last season.

There wasn't better shooting point guards available as udfa? Who wants to say something good about this kid that we might not know.

He's a crappy shooter. He was one of the best defenders in all of college ball.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#890 » by old school 34 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:35 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:What to think of the Ashton Hagan pickup? Shot 3s at .258, shot 2s at .448 last season.

Gets a lot of player comps to Pat Beverly. He can't shoot 100%, correct. But love his defense....very much Beverly like in...really aggressive in your face type. Started at pg for Kentucky for 2 yrs...for what that's worth....think he maybe sat the last few games cause of some blow up...Calipari...said it was more a just being too competitive thing? At least publicly...they still tight.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#891 » by old school 34 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:38 am

old school 34 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Gets a lot of player comps to Pat Beverly. He can't shoot 100%, correct. But love his defense....very much Beverly like in...really aggressive in your face type. Started at pg for Kentucky for 2 yrs...for what that's worth....think he maybe sat the last few games cause of some blow up...Calipari...said it was more a just being too competitive thing? At least publicly...they still tight.

They did chase Dotson as well (Kansas pg), but he went to Bulls....Dotson probably very JMac like & Hagans more polar opposite as to what they're best strengths are.

Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#892 » by Norseman79 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:02 am

I am just throwing this out there. Vanderbilt came into league as a SF, point forward type with comps to Lamar Odom. We know he struggles with 3, at least has to this point. If the kid can defend 2-4, does it matter if is three isn't money considering the other 4 potential starters can. It will be interesting, but what if we look like this...

Russell, Rubio, Hagans
Edwards, Beasley, Nowell
Vanderbilt, Culver/Okoge
Hernangomez, Layman,. McDaniels
Towns, Davis, Reid
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#893 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:15 am

Rubio
DLo
Edwards
Juancho
Towns

Culver
Beasley
Okogie
Davis
Naz

Jmac RFA
Nowell
Layman
Vandy
McDaniels
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#894 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:26 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:Rubio
DLo
Edwards
Juancho
Towns

Culver
Beasley
Okogie
Davis
Naz

Jmac RFA
Nowell
Layman
Vandy
McDaniels

To start the season we might get Russell Beasley Culver Juancho and KAT, or Rubio Russell leaving Beasley out, but eventually our starting lineup will be the one you posted here. I just doubt Edwards starts day one.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,178

Post#895 » by Neeva » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:27 am

old school 34 wrote:
old school 34 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:He's a crappy shooter. He was one of the best defenders in all of college ball.

They did chase Dotson as well (Kansas pg), but he went to Bulls....Dotson probably very JMac like & Hagans more polar opposite as to what they're best strengths are.

Should have chased after Killian Tillie instead. memphis got him:/ would not surprise me if he makes that roster.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#896 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:06 am

DLo
Edwards
Juancho
Towns

Culver
Beasley
Okogie
Davis
Naz

Jmac RFA
Nowell
Layman
Vandy
McDaniels

So, you are expecting Culver to be a PG this year? Is that what I see you listing here along with some other questionable slottings.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#897 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:12 am

Norseman79 wrote:I am just throwing this out there. Vanderbilt came into league as a SF, point forward type with comps to Lamar Odom. We know he struggles with 3, at least has to this point. If the kid can defend 2-4, does it matter if is three isn't money considering the other 4 potential starters can. It will be interesting, but what if we look like this...

Russell, Rubio, Hagans
Edwards, Beasley, Nowell
Vanderbilt, Culver/Okoge
Hernangomez, Layman,. McDaniels
Towns, Davis, Reid

Not sure why people want to loft Vanderbilt from the G role straight to starter. You aren't the only one suggesting this in the past month. Is it ok if he gets some bench minutes and proves who is first before you suggest that?
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#898 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Jedzz wrote:
DLo
Edwards
Juancho
Towns

Culver
Beasley
Okogie
Davis
Naz

Jmac RFA
Nowell
Layman
Vandy
McDaniels

So, you are expecting Culver to be a PG this year? Is that what I see you listing here along with some other questionable slottings.

As of right now, he is probably the 3rd string PG
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,652

Post#899 » by Shaka_Zulu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:34 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
DLo
Edwards
Juancho
Towns

Culver
Beasley
Okogie
Davis
Naz

Jmac RFA
Nowell
Layman
Vandy
McDaniels

You expect Jmac to not be picked up?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#900 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:37 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

You expect Jmac to not be picked up?

he said as of RIGHT NOW.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves