Bucks sign Bobby Portis

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#181 » by Bernman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:Portis has previously played on bad teams in bad situations. I'm not going to hold that against him. A good system with an established pecking order can turn almost anyone around.

But he's been a contributing reason for those teams being bad. Of course that should be held against him.

That assertion doesn't hold much water statistically:

Last yr he had a basically neutral on/off +/-: -0.2

In '19 the Wizards marginally out-played their opponents w/ him on the court: +.0.8. And his on/off was quite positive: +4.7.

Earlier that season was his worst, when he sported a -3.3 on/off, exacerbating their terrible -11.3 overall. But a small sample.

A much bigger one his previous season he enjoyed his best on/off +/-: a strong +8.

Had a positive on/off +/- in his lone playoff stint against Boston. Prior to that it was negative as a developing player.

And all of his teams were expected to do poorly outside of him, besides maybe his rookie season.

It certainly can be de-motivating always playing with such dross & for nothing. Especially for a player that was noted for his intensity in pre-draft scouting reports & had semi-positive defensive projections surrounding it, his feet, + solid wingspan.

That, a positive playoff performance, & extended stints of satisfaction from fans, surrounded by indifference & dissatisfaction, gives us realistic hope he could wind up an asset on a contending team with a good coach. A savvy move at this low price.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,718

Post#182 » by Ayt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:03 pm

He has a lot of Drew Gooden in him. Terrible defense and awful shot selection.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#183 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:46 pm

Bernman wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:Portis has previously played on bad teams in bad situations. I'm not going to hold that against him. A good system with an established pecking order can turn almost anyone around.

But he's been a contributing reason for those teams being bad. Of course that should be held against him.

In '19 the Wizards marginally out-played their opponents w/ him on the court: +.0.8. And his on/off was quite positive: +4.7.

Earlier that season was his worst, when he sported a -3.3 on/off, exacerbating their terrible -11.3 overall. But a small sample.

A much bigger one his previous season he enjoyed his best on/off +/-: a strong +8.

Had a positive on/off +/- in his lone playoff stint against Boston. Prior to that it was negative as a developing player.

And all of his teams were expected to do poorly outside of him, besides maybe his rookie season.

It certainly can be de-motivating always playing with such dross & for nothing. Especially for a player that was noted for his intensity in pre-draft scouting reports & had semi-positive defensive projections surrounding it, his feet, + solid wingspan.

That, a positive playoff performance, & extended stints of satisfaction from fans, surrounded by indifference & dissatisfaction, gives us realistic hope he could wind up an asset on a contending team with a good coach. A savvy move at this low price.

Proof... that absolutely anything - no matter how ridiculous - can be argued if you find the wrong stat.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
wallus
Rookie
And1: 1,188

Post#184 » by wallus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:03 pm

If he is bad, that means more Giannis at the 5 which I am in favor of.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,006

Post#185 » by BuckFan25226 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:25 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Bernman wrote:
Ruzious wrote:But he's been a contributing reason for those teams being bad. Of course that should be held against him.

Proof... that absolutely anything - no matter how ridiculous - can be argued if you find the wrong stat.

No matter what you think of Bobby Portis as a player. That dude has been on some laughably bad teams.

He's being asked to be a backup on a already really good team. I suppose if you are asking Bobby Portis to be an integral part of a winning team, well then that's completely different topic of discussion.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,718

Post#186 » by Ayt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 pm

DJ will get minutes over Portis.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#187 » by Bernman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:Proof... that absolutely anything - no matter how ridiculous - can be argued if you find the wrong stat.

The burden of proof is on you. You made the accusation.

It was proven anyway that he wasn't the reason some of his teams were bad, considering they were often much better with him on the court. Unless you're arguing he's having a negative impact off the bench. You're basically suggesting nihilism about data.

You effectively acknowledged you had an axe to grind here because of his cheap shots. So you can't even acknowledge the positive aspect of his intensity, which has been a consensus about him since forever.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#188 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Bernman wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Proof... that absolutely anything - no matter how ridiculous - can be argued if you find the wrong stat.

The burden of proof is on you. You made the accusation.

It was proven anyway that he wasn't the reason some of his teams were bad, considering they were often much better with him on the court. Unless you're arguing he's having a negative impact off the bench. You're basically suggesting nihilism about data.

You effectively acknowledged you had an axe to grind here because of his cheap shots. So you can't even acknowledge the positive aspect of his intensity, which has been a consensus about him since forever.

I've given my analysis of him. Let's make sure to go back to this during the season - several times. Agreed?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter
And1: 1,605

Post#189 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:31 am

Ayt wrote:He has a lot of Drew Gooden in him. Terrible defense and awful shot selection.

Ugh, I was searching for that name in my head. He does strike me as an empty stats guy -- but the skill set he has is legit. Maybe the Bucks will turn him around.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,895

Post#190 » by Brewhoopfan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:29 am

The only bad thing about the signing is he'll cash in and be gone after this year. He'll knock down a bunch of 3s at a high %. I think he'll thrive playing against 2nd units. What an opportunity for him.
Bmaasse
Senior
And1: 563

Post#191 » by Bmaasse » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:57 am

But is he better than Thon?
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#192 » by AussieBuck » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:15 am

Lifelong Portis hater here. To me guys who can't play D lack the desire, IQ/anticipation or they are just physically overmatched. Portis has the size and plays hard, maybe with enough coaching, teammates and reps, he can put it together. I dunno, haven't really watched him since he was a Bull.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#193 » by RiotPunch » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:02 am

Wonder if Harkless would have signed for the BAE here. Would have rather had a big, versatile wing defender like him, although I do somewhat see the appeal of Portis as a bucket getting big. Can't really argue with the price.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#194 » by drone3 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:12 am

Here's some Portis vs Bucks

BucksRule18
Senior
And1: 360

Post#195 » by BucksRule18 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:30 pm

It's all relative at this point. Portis as the 3rd or 4th best player on a contending team is a huge problem, but as the 7th or 8th option on a $4M/year contract, is worth taking a shot at. Heck, I'd even take prime Gooden on that salary with this team as a 12-15 minute back-up (ok maybe not. :)).
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,357

Post#196 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:53 pm

A version of Drew Gooden that didn't wait until his last couple years to start shooting 3's would have been a pretty damn good player. I think Portis is gonna get maximized as a pick & pop guy in Bud's offense. Which is great because his biggest issues IMO are that he's both not a great finisher (60% career at-the-rim), and is allergic to the FT line (2.6 FTA per-36 on 23% career usage rate). Less worried defensively when he's playing in an actual system and not stuck on the Knicks/Bulls/Wizards. I like the Forbes and Craig acquisitions, but I think this is the best bargain signing we've made.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Post#197 » by raysbookclub » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:55 pm

I haven't seen Portis play in like 5 years, but people talking about him as an enforcer and a mean guy piqued my interest. Saw a youtube video of his "top 5 dirty plays," hoping to see a skinnier modern version of Rick Mahorn or Charles Oakley.

Was underwhelmed. They don't dirty like they used to, I guess. Maybe because I had just watched old Pistons Bad Boy clips in a Rodman 30-for-30 (which was excellent btw)?
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#198 » by Bucksfan28 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:00 pm

If he can sustain that >36% 3pt shooting, dude will be a nice fallback when Splash Mountain hits a cold streak.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#199 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:06 pm

ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:
Ayt wrote:He has a lot of Drew Gooden in him. Terrible defense and awful shot selection.

Ugh, I was searching for that name in my head. He does strike me as an empty stats guy -- but the skill set he has is legit. Maybe the Bucks will turn him around.

Pretty big difference in that the Bucks gave Gooden a 5-year, $35 million dollar contract to be a starter. Bucks gave Portis what will likely be a 1-year, $3.5 million dollar contract to come off the bench. This is a low risk, potentially high reward signing.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,221

Post#200 » by Sigra » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:44 pm

In first part of last season we had only Ersan as backup PF. And we had great record then.

So, for now I would compare him only to Ersan from last season. And he cant be much worse then 100 years old Ersan.

He loves to shoot a lot? Well, great. Our coach will love him. All our bigs shoot 3s.

This may work. We didnt pay him much anyway.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks