Read on Twitter
?s=19
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Other team's trades and transactions 

Post#82 » by suns12345 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:53 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
nevetsov wrote:I know that if Klay is out for the season, then GSW can apply for a disabled player exception of half his salary (giving them another ~$17m exception) but does it also reduce the tax they pay? Surely if insurance is covering the salary of a guy out for the season, it would also cover the tax incurred on that salary?

Klay's injury might end up saving them $100m this season.

It doesn't teally make sense to me for them to charge tax on a guy that is out for the season. Especially on a guy that's been out for two seasons. And if Oubre's $14 million salary really costs $80 million like they say, or an additional $66 million in taxes, that must mean they are paying more than $3.50 per $1 of additional salary at this point.

When they discuss the CBA, I wonder who brings up the tax? Or is this just something Silver and his cronies decide? That doesn't make sense because Silvers basically works on behalf of the players and owners, who own everything.

You'd think if a player was deemed out before the season they'd get an injury and tax exception. Of course they'd still have to pay the player's salary, which is almost injury enough...but it impacts competitiveness in the league and a tax like that when you can barely field a starting lineup because you have a few high salaries with one of them being out, is crazy.

I think max contracts have gotten too big too. I know some think the stars should make even more and everyone else less, but I think it just kills team flexibility when guys make any more than like 25% of the cap..that's what Booker makes...but a guy like Paul will make over 41% of the cap next year, assuming it stays flat again, and with Booker's salary, they will make close to 75% of the cap.

I agree BW

I remember in the min 2000s, the cap was ~$75m and max contracts were around $20 or slightly under (I think thats right at least)?

Seemed much more reasonable.

And now the Cap is higher, instead of spreading the wealth around with fringe players, the good players all just make absurd amounts and the market for "max" players is so inflated whereby, if you're a B+ star like Kris MIddleton you basically are guarenteed a Max.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#83 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Lost in yesterdays madness was Wall requesting a trade. That was hilarious. The wizards should have issued a press release saying 'yes we too would like to trade john Wall'. Like the utter lack of self awareness to request a trade when you haven't played in like 2 years and have the most toxic contract in the league is really something.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#84 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:08 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Lost in yesterdays madness was Wall requesting a trade. That was hilarious. The wizards should have issued a press release saying 'yes we too would like to trade john Wall'. Like the utter lack of self awareness to request a trade when you haven't played in like 2 years and have the most toxic contract in the league is really something.

Yeah, wow, he has the same contract has Paul the next two years, but then another player option after that. I wonder what he will look like when he comes back.

That player option is over $47 million. The Wizards should implore him to not pick it up if he wants out....in 2 years.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,156

Post#85 » by Revived » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:53 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Lost in yesterdays madness was Wall requesting a trade. That was hilarious. The wizards should have issued a press release saying 'yes we too would like to trade john Wall'. Like the utter lack of self awareness to request a trade when you haven't played in like 2 years and have the most toxic contract in the league is really something.

Guys like Wall and Parsons is why I think the NBA should go away from guaranteed contracts being the norm. Make it like the NFL where teams can cut you if you’re never playing or stop giving a damn after getting paid.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,156

Post#86 » by Revived » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Revived wrote:

Guys like Wall and Parsons is why I think the NBA should go away from guaranteed contracts being the norm. Make it like the NFL where teams can cut you if you’re never playing or stop giving a damn after getting paid.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=21
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#87 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:59 am

Revived wrote:
Revived wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=21
I kind of hate the NBA vs NFL salary comps. Basketball has 15 players on a roster vs 53 for football, kindergarten math would make it obvious why you see the disparity in individual salaries.

And whats the solution, nba players paid less? Yeah cool let's put more money in the billionaire owners pockets.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#88 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:15 am

Read on Twitter
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#89 » by ATTL » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:19 am

I wonder what atlanta will do this season with all these signings. Will trae's scoring go down with all these new mouths to feed?
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#90 » by Bogyo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 am

ATTL wrote:I wonder what atlanta will do this season with all these signings. Will trae's scoring go down with all these new mouths to feed?

He will hear more than an earfull from Bogdanovic and Gallinari if he doesn't pass more often. Probably from his coach too, as last year there wasn't really anyone to feed, that is one of the reasons why it was the Trae show, much like in his college days on that crappy team.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#91 » by nevetsov » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:46 am

Bogyo wrote:
ATTL wrote:I wonder what atlanta will do this season with all these signings. Will trae's scoring go down with all these new mouths to feed?

He will hear more than an earfull from Bogdanovic and Gallinari if he doesn't pass more often. Probably from his coach too, as last year there wasn't really anyone to feed, that is one of the reasons why it was the Trae show, much like in his college days on that crappy team.

I'm more curious as to who is going to play defense. Trae, Bogdan and Gallo aren't exactly known for their defense.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#92 » by Bogyo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:42 am

nevetsov wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

I'm more curious as to who is going to play defense. Trae, Bogdan and Gallo aren't exactly known for their defense.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen :D. They will try to D up with Rondo and Okongowu, but the 136-140 final scores will be there often, question is which one will be ATL.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#93 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:36 pm

Bogyo wrote:

He was already second in assists per game at 9.3 per game. How many do you expect him to get per game?
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#94 » by NTB » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#95 » by Saberestar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 pm

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#96 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:56 am

Read on Twitter
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#97 » by Bogyo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:42 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

He was already second in assists per game at 9.3 per game. How many do you expect him to get per game?

Right, I stand corrected, let me rephrase that a bit. So more passing - more ball movement, and letting other (worthy) players handle it, and swing it around. Less of the "Kobe-assists", more of "real assists". Maybe his APG will even decline, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if his assist/turnover ratio gets better, and maybe even his effective fg% goes up due to having better teammates and a bit less duties and possibilities to pound the air out of the ball.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#98 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:09 am

Bogyo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

Right, I stand corrected, let me rephrase that a bit. So more passing - more ball movement, and letting other (worthy) players handle it, and swing it around. Less of the "Kobe-assists", more of "real assists". Maybe his APG will even decline, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if his assist/turnover ratio gets better, and maybe even his effective fg% goes up due to having better teammates and a bit less duties and possibilities to pound the air out of the ball.

I saw him once in college and by far the thing I was most impressed with was his passing. It wasn't those types of assists then...it was some awesome court vision that is rare. I haven't watched Atlanta really at all so maybe he has turned into more of one of those Harden type guys where it's all him until there isn't anything else except a last ditch assist. I hope not, because he has excellent court vision and passing skills.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#99 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Read on Twitter
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#100 » by BobbieL » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:12 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thats an interesting statement.. well alrighty than

By the way BWG - really like Herbert. Playing so well - just needs a new head ball coach

Return to Phoenix Suns