Tyrese Haliburton

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#1 » by City of Trees » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:46 am

With the 12th pick in the 2020 NBA draft, the Sacramento Kings select Tyrese Haliburton, guard, Iowa State.

You guys know I've been praying the Kings would draft him and here we are. I couldn't he happier with the pick at 12.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: Tyrese Haliburton  

Post#2 » by City of Trees » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:46 am

Read on Twitter

jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#3 » by jbent87 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Didn't pay a whole lot attention to college ball this year so coming into this draft I didn't know a whole lot at all... but man, I really like this kid. Seems like MCW on steroids. Good luck!
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#4 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:42 pm

I love the pick. Our biggest problem has been that when Fox goes to the bench, the entire team falls apart. This is going to really help that. The 2 of them in the backcourt sharing minutes and having 1 in at all times, I couldn't be happier honestly.

I had him and Deni as guys I was interested in trading up for. To have one fall was amazing.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#5 » by graymule » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 pm

:D

Hawk fan here. I wanted Haliburton. I now have my Hawks and a favorite west coast team !!

Rooting for you Kings (When you are not playing the Hawks!)

:nod:
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#6 » by City of Trees » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:54 pm

According to Lowe, Haliburton fell because he told teams don't draft me! I want to play for Sacramento!

Read on Twitter

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#7 » by KF10 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:28 pm

City of Trees wrote:According to Lowe, Haliburton fell because he told teams don't draft me! I want to play for Sacramento!

Read on Twitter

That's actually good news.

I remember watching Haliburton's reaction right after he got drafted by the Kings, I didn't think it looked good lol

I'm glad to hear that he wanted Sacramento from the start.

I hope this kid turns out good for us.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#8 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:12 am

KF10 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:According to Lowe, Haliburton fell because he told teams don't draft me! I want to play for Sacramento!

Read on Twitter

I remember watching Haliburton's reaction right after he got drafted by the Kings, I didn't think it looked good lol

Actually I am pretty sure he was quietly praying.

And it seems like it was a prayer of thanks.

Let’s hope so.
graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by graymule » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 pm

Tyrese Haliburton is a good one. A point guard but can play 2 guard also. One smart cookie. Has a great IQ.
Read a lot about him before draft. Doesn't just play with talent but with his brain also. May not start to begin
the season but will get a lot of minutes. I believe we will enjoy seeing him play.

:D :D
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#10 » by kb02 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:38 pm

KF10 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Show's his long term planning. Give up a some $ in the first contract to get more in that second contract. I like young men, who are willing to bet on themselves.

As for Haliburton, he was hands down the best player that I saw in college hoops last year. Look forward to seeing Buddy pout when they start Haliburton over him. Future Doug Christie.

See my comments throughout the year from kingsfans.com:

"Dec 3, 2019
Tyrese Halliburton of Iowa State and Myles Powell of Seton Hall were the two most impressive prospects that I watched over Thanksgiving break. Tyrese plays a bit like a UCLA version of Lonzo Ball while Myles Powell plays like Donovan Mitchell. Haliburton is currently slated as a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the top 5. Powell would be a second round steal."

Jan 10, 2020
I've been extremely high on Halliburton since the Thxgiving tournaments. Best prospect from those sets of games that I saw. If he ends up playing the 2 at the NBA level, he has the skills and physical attributes to play like Doug on offense and eventually defense (with his length). Would very much like him on the Kings."

Aug 21, 2020
...This year, the only player I’ll die arguing for is Halliburton. Watched all of the Holiday tourneys (bcz I was sports betting. :)) and he was hands down the best player. Also that Seton Hall scoring guard flashed as well. Forgot his name.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:10 am

I've got a few nuggets on Halliburton for you guys that I accumulated during the year long pre-draft period.

Enjoy!!

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:13 am

Scouting NBA draft lottery prospects: Strengths, comps, intel

7. Tyrese Haliburton | PG | Iowa State | Age: 20.0

Haliburton took advantage of an injury to Iowa's starting point guard to gain valuable experience as a freshman and eventually forced his way onto NBA radar with a strong showing at the FIBA U19 World Cup this past summer where he led USA to a gold medal. His season was cut short in February with a fractured wrist, but not before he emerged as one of the most versatile and efficient college PGs, despite being forced to shoulder a significantly heavier load. -- Schmitz

Projected role: Secondary ball-handling 3-and-D guard

• Has good size for a point guard at 6-5 with a 6-7½ wingspan that should allow him to defend either guard position. Fluid athlete who changes speeds with long strides, polished footwork and smooth body control. Still developing physically.

• Has one of the highest basketball IQs of any player in the draft. Creative passer who empowers teammates with outlet passes and makes the game easy with the tremendous vision in pick-and-roll. Size, length and feel make him a factor on the glass, getting in passing lanes and even blocking shots on occasion.

• Career 43% 3-point shooter and 78% free throw shooter at the college level. Reliable with his feet set despite his unconventional mechanics. Has outstanding touch on floaters.

• Has played off the ball quite a bit in his college career due to his struggles creating offense from in the half court. Can't always beat better defenders off the bounce cleanly. Low release on his pull-up jumper makes it difficult for him to get his shot off at times. Likely will be at his best operating alongside a high-volume shot creator.

• Light frame limits him on both ends. Gets knocked off his path easily and forced to settle for difficult shots from outside the paint. Has a propensity for avoiding contact. Attempted only 71 free throws in 57 games in college.
ESPN
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:14 am

graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by graymule » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Well? What do you think now? Is Tyrese Haliburton as good as advertised? Didn't get to watch but apparently, from the box score, he got on the floor and played some.

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#15 » by codydaze » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:05 pm

graymule wrote::D

Well? What do you think now? Is Tyrese Haliburton as good as advertised? Didn't get to watch but apparently, from the box score, he got on the floor and played some.

The first game he was super passive and just looked nervous as hell out there. Understandable though that it was his first NBA action. The second game he looked a lot more comfortable and stuffed the stat sheet with 11 pts, 6 boards, 7 assists and no turnovers. I think those are the types of games we are expecting of him, he looks really good out there and has great defensive instincts already as well.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#16 » by BoogieTime » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:32 am

If we were actually trying to win he’d be starting. Put Buddy at SF if need be
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#17 » by MarxyLebronist » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:24 pm

BoogieTime wrote:If we were actually trying to win he’d be starting. Put Buddy at SF if need be

Spot on.

He already is, but he will also be widely discussed as and accepted (even by the die hards) as the team's best guard by season's end. He could win ROY if given proper minutes right away. The team's best possible approach this season, if not dumping Hield and Barnes and Joseph and Bagley ASAP to anyone who will take them for go away money, is to run Barnes at PF and let Metu run and board at break neck pace as a small C with the high octane scoring group. Barnes can hit open 3s, Hield off ball obviously a good shooter. Obviously no one is eager to take those contracts, though wow if you could land Oladipo and Drummond somehow and send locked in younger guys (so hard to get in flyover country) to IND and CLE to do it. Maybe one or both sticks, maybe flip one or both elsewhere right away for any picks and even less salary obligation this year to a contender. Whatever, then you're down to just dealing with Fox's albatross contract in the offseason and ready to make the real change happen finally. Frankly, Bjelica looks unhappy but clicks great with Halliburton and especially Guy (a total keeper obviously). He might really shine as a 4 alongside Metu with Halliburton distributing.

The real challenge will be as Halliburton's smarts and instinct make it obvious to all how much better than Fox he is and how much better he will be able to become sooner than later, beyond that. Rude awakening on the way. But Fox as a wildly overpaid mega 6th man is intriguing for sure.

Very tough. The two best guards are Guy and Halliburton but the huge money to Fox and Hield means this probably doesn't end well since the team doesn't have a functioning player development program or longterm plan, etc.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#18 » by City of Trees » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:08 pm

Haliburton is going to be so damn good.
Read on Twitter
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#19 » by City of Trees » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:54 pm

Haliburton leaves his feet a lot but I've yet to see him make a mistake doing so. This pass here was my favorite of the night. Kid is gifted.

Read on Twitter
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#20 » by MarxyLebronist » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:21 pm

City of Trees wrote:Haliburton leaves his feet a lot but I've yet to see him make a mistake doing so. This pass here was my favorite of the night. Kid is gifted.

Read on Twitter

It's a tendency in the game all over it seems. It disrupts defenses to positive effect in cases like these highlights.
Let's keep it all highlights and no worries! :-)

Also, wanted to make another plug for the poster's idea above. Run them all out there together: Fox, Haliburton, Hield, and Barnes together as much as possible is a very good idea. Fine to run Bagley starting C and start rotations from there. As long as main minutes combo has those four guards/wings in it though, can wait and see on trades/next steps but put a lot of teams away this season that didn't plan well for this unorthodox schedule and won't figure it out any time soon with nothing to shoot for. Haliburton can play 3 positions in this NBA and team should try to get started on that right away. Kings can run so let them!!!

Return to Sacramento Kings