ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Offseason Chatter

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Re: Around the NBA - Offseason Chatter 

Post#141 » by aq_ua » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 am

Impressive - this is the list of rookies the Thunder drafted. I don't think I've seen a list like this since the 2004 Blazers draft.

- Aleksej Pokusevski
- Theo Maledon
- Vit Krejci
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#142 » by Sark » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:48 pm

god shammgod wrote:the rockets can get ben simmons and start over and are gonna take the nets pu pu platter instead....right

Did Philly offer Simmons? They're crazy if they did.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,610

Post#143 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Tatum got his money, and well-deserved (and I gotta eat crow by trashing him cause he brought up my Melo trauma). Hope that signals the end of Boston's contention hopes though.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#144 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:15 pm

I put up a short Myles Powell profile with KFTV for those that are unfamiliar with the kid (if you're a Red Storm fan, you probably remember him). My general take on second rounders and UDFAs is to go either with home run prospects or swing on highly productive college players that the league has doubts about (it's even my BAF philosophy). Powell fits that profile well.

https://knicksfantv.com/knicks-sign-undrafted-free-agent-myles-powell-to-exhibit-10-contract/
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#145 » by Fury » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:22 pm

Just quickly looking over his numbers, if he stopped shooting 40 3s a game, his FG% would be sky high
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,447

Post#146 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:26 pm

j4remi wrote:I put up a short Myles Powell profile with KFTV for those that are unfamiliar with the kid (if you're a Red Storm fan, you probably remember him). My general take on second rounders and UDFAs is to go either with home run prospects or swing on highly productive college players that the league has doubts about (it's even my BAF philosophy). Powell fits that profile well.

https://knicksfantv.com/knicks-sign-undrafted-free-agent-myles-powell-to-exhibit-10-contract/

Good stuff. I love taking a flyer on Powell. He is a much better shooter then the numbers show imo. The injuries seemed to have an impact.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,636

Post#147 » by mpharris36 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

well done NBA
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,458

Post#148 » by TheGreenArrow » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Smart move by the pelicans. I can see them Doing the same with Zion in the future!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#149 » by Tron Carter » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:25 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Smart move by the pelicans. I can see them Doing the same with Zion in the future!!!!

Will Zion last that long? Am I the only one who was pretty dismayed by his conditioning and defense? I always felt like he was a generational talent during pre-draft but his weight looks like it might be a serious long term issue. I never paid too much attention to his detractors regarding his size but some of those criticisms look like they have merit.
R.I.P Black Mamba
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,458

Post#150 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:33 am

Tron Carter wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Will Zion last that long? Am I the only one who was pretty dismayed by his conditioning and defense? I always felt like he was a generational talent during pre-draft but his weight looks like it might be a serious long term issue. I never paid too much attention to his detractors regarding his size but some of those criticisms look like they have merit.

Totally fair, I have my doubts also.

Only time will tell.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#151 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:17 am

Tron Carter wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Zion is not Charles Barkley. Chuck had some force to his game, but he was also pretty durable. What he didn't have was Zion's propulsion which is going to shred this guy to bits if he doesn't lose weight and commit to some kind of yoga (which kept Kareem in the game forever though he was an entirely different body type).

I called it like I called KP's career. Both will never achieve their potential due to repeated injuries.

The best basketball players are usually not the most jacked up guys for a reason. It is too much of an airborne sport with unpredictable landings and sudden lateral shifts for that much meat. I'd say MJ is probably the gold standard for basketball physiques.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#152 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:23 am

The Detroit Pistons have waived Zhaire Smith.

The Philadelphia 76ers traded Smith to the Pistons this offseason for Tony Bradley.

Smith was the 16th overall pick by the 76ers in 2018, but he has played sparingly following a foot fracture and a severe allergic reaction to sesame.

I remember some here liked this guy in that draft, but damn, a "severe allergic reaction to sesame"
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#153 » by Oscirus » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:24 am

If anything, the pelicans should work on trying to acquire harden without giving up ingram or zion, they have more than enough to get it done if they so desired.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,164

Post#154 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:41 am

Oscirus wrote:If anything, the pelicans should work on trying to acquire harden without giving up ingram or zion, they have more than enough to get it done if they so desired.

After all that **** Griffen gave Lebron. I doubt he wants an ego diva like Harden
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Post#155 » by aq_ua » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:54 am

Tron Carter wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

We've gotten so used to LeBron and his ability to maintain his athleticism for so long that we've forgotten that most NBA players that rely on athleticism tend to have health issues throughout their career. One major data point is Blake Griffin. He hasn't played a full season since his rookie/sophomore year and the fall-off since then has been massive. The end of Zion's first max contract has a serious chance of looking rocky. For what it's worth - it would be great to see Zion defy the worst predictions and a real rivalry with RJ to emerge. That would be fun to watch.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,060

Post#156 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:09 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Zion is not Charles Barkley. Chuck had some force to his game, but he was also pretty durable. What he didn't have was Zion's propulsion which is going to shred this guy to bits if he doesn't lose weight and commit to some kind of yoga (which kept Kareem in the game forever though he was an entirely different body type).

I called it like I called KP's career. Both will never achieve their potential due to repeated injuries.

The best basketball players are usually not the most jacked up guys for a reason. It is too much of an airborne sport with unpredictable landings and sudden lateral shifts for that much meat. I'd say MJ is probably the gold standard for basketball physiques.

I agree Zion needs to lose weight, and I'm sure some ink will be spilled on his various injuries in his bio when it's all said and done.

But I think when healthy Zion will terrorize the league and be an MVP candidate almost immediately. Even for a short period of time.

Interesting observation re your last paragraph. Shaq was the exception that proves the rule, I guess.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#157 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:31 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:

I agree Zion needs to lose weight, and I'm sure some ink will be spilled on his various injuries in his bio when it's all said and done.

But I think when healthy Zion will terrorize the league and be an MVP candidate almost immediately. Even for a short period of time.

Interesting observation re your last paragraph. Shaq was the exception that proves the rule, I guess.

Shaq is an anomaly for sure, but for all his size he was still built like he could be wearing a Mexican wrestling mask. He was strong as an ox, but if he was naturally ripped he could have ripped to shreds too.

Plus, Shaq was carrying 325 lbs on a massive 7'1" frame whereas Zion is carrying 285 on a 6'8" frame. The difference in terms of load tolerance is pretty significant.

And Shaq didn't need to elevate anywhere near the height Zion sometimes leaps to overpower his defenders. If he was within 8 feet of the basket his body mass took care of that and he didn't have to elevate that much to dunk. So even if Shaq has some comparables he was rarely inducing the same stresses relative to his weight and build as Zion does when he takes off.

I don't know how much weight Zion at his size can shed, but I just can't see him lasting for that long if he doesn't get below 250.
Montmorencie
Rookie
And1: 814

Post#158 » by Montmorencie » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:53 pm

Pelicans got this right for a change. They got 2 generational talents and they will have them for at least next 5 years together. I don't know what's going on with Lonzo but if he stays there they will be a contender next season assuming Zion is healthy.

The guy was averaging 20 points while sleeping. He wasn't shooting the ball, he wasn't attacking as much as he wants, he played 20-25 minutes per game and he was top 15 players in the league for the time.

This team was cooking without Zion. They were something like 2nd or 3rd offensively. Gentry was a bad coach, no defense. Now the got Gundy and they will definitely improve defensively. Don't sleep on them.

1. Lakers; 2. Nuggets 3. Clippers; 4. Pelicans; 5. Suns; 6.Blazers

These are the 6 big dogs in the West. Luka is not doing anything without actual support even if KP is healthy, their team stinks.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#159 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:57 pm

Sark wrote:
god shammgod wrote:the rockets can get ben simmons and start over and are gonna take the nets pu pu platter instead....right

Did Philly offer Simmons? They're crazy if they did.

I don't like either Houston guard, but you're overrating Simmons imo.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,059

Post#160 » by RHODEY » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:57 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Right , Lebron being the one exception to this...he's been durable his whole career while being petty damned jacked...

Return to New York Knicks