ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams:Ibaka to the Clippers 2 yrs 19 million

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Re: Shams:Ibaka to the Clippers 2 yrs 19 million 

Post#381 » by Danny1616 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Bankai wrote:Raptors had to pay Ibaka $21 Million Per Year to keep him. Clippers got him at 50% off at $19 Million for 2 years. Yikes.

All bigs are underpaid now compared to 3 years ago.

Millsap was making 20m a year and now only 10m.

Favours was making 18m a year and now only 10m.

Tristan was making 15m a year and now only 9m.

Don't make conspiracy theories. In 2016 and 2017 bigs were still paid top dollar, now bigs don't have much value, that's just facts. You would never see guys like Bogdon and Harris make 18m plus 3-4 years ago. The league has changed its priorities in value.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,437

Post#382 » by KL78192020 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:52 pm

I was hoping Raptors could've landed Harry Giles. he went cheap.
tekfreak1
Ballboy
And1: 47

Post#383 » by tekfreak1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:54 pm

nobay wrote:Lol this board is losing their minds because of this. I'm not that surprised - the terms a little but clearly LA was sold to him and I'm sure being tight with Kawhi helped. I think a lot of people aren't looking into endorsements/fashion/hollywood opportunities he has there to build his brand - probably fashion etc. Sad to see him go but we move forward.

Ibaka can say goodbye to the fashion endorsements and opportunities he worked so hard to get here..."On Thursday, the Toronto Raptors centre and NBA champion dropped his winter clothing fashion line in collaboration with Canadian premium outerwear brand Nobis. and you can bet it includes oversized scarves. "
tekfreak1
Ballboy

Post#384 » by tekfreak1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Bankai wrote:Raptors had to pay Ibaka $21 Million Per Year to keep him. Clippers got him at 50% off at $19 Million for 2 years. Yikes.

Don't make conspiracy theories. In 2016 and 2017 bigs were still paid top dollar, now bigs don't have much value, that's just facts. You would never see guys like Bogdon and Harris make 18m plus 3-4 years ago. The league has changed its priorities in value.

Remind me how much We just paid Siakam?
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#385 » by Danny1616 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 pm

tekfreak1 wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

Siakim isn't considered a "big."

He's a guy who can guard the 2, 3, 4 and 5, with an insane motor, incredible speed/quickness, a smooth touch, that is one of the best transition players and is only 26 years old.

Don't know what Siakim's salary has to do with it.

He's making 30m a year but I would much rather have a 26 year old Siakim with room to grow making that over a guy like Hayward who is 31 making that.

I'm saying that the more traditional slower bigs like Ibaka, Gasol, Tristan etc. are now undervalued compared to 3 years ago.
tekfreak1
Ballboy

Post#386 » by tekfreak1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
tekfreak1 wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

Siakim isn't considered a "big."

He's a guy who can guard the 2, 3, 4 and 5, with an insane motor, incredible speed/quickness, a smooth touch, that is one of the best transition players and is only 26 years old.

Don't know what Siakim's salary has to do with it.

He's making 30m a year but I would much rather have a 26 year old Siakim with room to grow making that over a guy like Hayward who is 31 making that.

I'm saying that the more traditional slower bigs like Ibaka, Gasol, Tristan etc. are now undervalued compared to 3 years ago.

We will see just how undervalued they are this year in regards to how bad the Raptors do without one....
Supermann98
Assistant Coach
And1: 648

Post#387 » by Supermann98 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:50 pm

tekfreak1 wrote:
nobay wrote:Lol this board is losing their minds because of this. I'm not that surprised - the terms a little but clearly LA was sold to him and I'm sure being tight with Kawhi helped. I think a lot of people aren't looking into endorsements/fashion/hollywood opportunities he has there to build his brand - probably fashion etc. Sad to see him go but we move forward.

Ibaka can say goodbye to the fashion endorsements and opportunities he worked so hard to get here..."On Thursday, the Toronto Raptors centre and NBA champion dropped his winter clothing fashion line in collaboration with Canadian premium outerwear brand Nobis. and you can bet it includes oversized scarves. "

Nice jackets and all but I'm sorry Serge, I won't be buying any Nobis merch anymore, just like I won't buy New Balance merch (not like I did anyway but still)
BigShaq34
Sixth Man
And1: 2,849

Post#388 » by BigShaq34 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:53 pm

seanbig wrote:I felt sad for a moment cuz we apparently could offer serge the most money

But honestly Serges impact was more off the court than
On the court

Sure he would hit a couple threes here and there and have the occasional block only to travel on offense or butter fingers

His advanced metrics show like demar- he just doesn’t impact the game much

We wouldn't have won the championship without him. That is clear.
Supermann98
Assistant Coach
And1: 648

Post#389 » by Supermann98 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:05 pm

ItsDanger wrote:His social media will take a serious hit. In LA, Serge will get drowned out. Better hope they win this season as that team could implode real quick.

Interesting, I stopped following him on IG and had a look at how many followers he had at the time (1.3m) ... I guess I'm not alone as I looked just now and he's down to 1.2m followers. He's got a great personality and I'm sure LA will catch on soon but yeah you're right, he's definitely gonna get drowned out in LA compared to here where he had a whole country following the Raps
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#390 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
kingr wrote:I hope I don't read that we didn't offer him anything that beats 2years 19 milll.

i can buy into the speculation that they did not want to pay the luxury tax this year, with the anticipation of going into the tax next year thereby avoiding the repeater tax.

also havent confirmed this but ownership may want to cut costs as they likely have to pay rent for an arena in Tampa that they did not originally anticipate.

How could we go into the tax next year while remaining under the cap to sign a max UFA?
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#391 » by MavCarter » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:
kingr wrote:I hope I don't read that we didn't offer him anything that beats 2years 19 milll.

i can buy into the speculation that they did not want to pay the luxury tax this year, with the anticipation of going into the tax next year thereby avoiding the repeater tax.

also havent confirmed this but ownership may want to cut costs as they likely have to pay rent for an arena in Tampa that they did not originally anticipate.

How could we go into the tax next year while remaining under the cap to sign a max UFA?

OG extension next summer?
#Enjoytheride
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,341

Post#392 » by alpngso » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:44 pm

People still mad about this deal? The dude was worth 5 mil based on advanced stats. It’s not like he took severe paycut. We don’t even know what the Raps offered
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#393 » by gp2015 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:45 pm

Supermann98 wrote:
tekfreak1 wrote:

Nice jackets and all but I'm sorry Serge, I won't be buying any Nobis merch anymore, just like I won't buy New Balance merch (not like I did anyway but still)

Why launch a line with a Canadian brand that's not very popular in the US (that I'm aware of) when you're planning on leaving the very same week?

Nobis seemed like it got screwed by Serge. Surely no one will be interested in his line now.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
Jeremy Lin 7
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,261

Post#394 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:55 pm

Ibaka is a real snake. Masai should demand Ibaka to give his ring back
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#395 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm

MavCarter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:

9.5 million cap hold minus whatever he gets? That's doesn't seem easy to go over. More likely we use the MLE and get hard capped.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#396 » by nabbs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Raps offered him 1 Yr/12Mil

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#397 » by 6ixSideSniper » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:52 pm

gp2015 wrote:
Supermann98 wrote:
tekfreak1 wrote:

Why launch a line with a Canadian brand that's not very popular in the US (that I'm aware of) when you're planning on leaving the very same week?

Nobis seemed like it got screwed by Serge. Surely no one will be interested in his line now.

Because nothing is coming out of his own pocket to launch this line. Maybe Serge also thought the clout from being on the ring-winning team will carry on even when he’s not on the team anymore.

But either way, this is on Nobis, they stupidly decided to collaborate with a guy that was only under contract until this year.
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#398 » by gp2015 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:21 am

6ixSideSniper wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
Supermann98 wrote:Nice jackets and all but I'm sorry Serge, I won't be buying any Nobis merch anymore, just like I won't buy New Balance merch (not like I did anyway but still)

Because nothing is coming out of his own pocket to launch this line. Maybe Serge also thought the clout from being on the ring-winning team will carry on even when he’s not on the team anymore.

But either way, this is on Nobis, they stupidly decided to collaborate with a guy that was only under contract until this year.

Not only did nothing come out of his pocket but I'm sure Nobis paid Serge for his name and time.

I'm guessing that both parties expected Serge to come back. Serge seemed like he wanted to come back but we ended up lowballing him.

Don't really feel sorry for either of them though, bad planning all around.

Serge could have spent his time more wisely designing a line for an American brand.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#399 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
MavCarter wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

9.5 million cap hold minus whatever he gets? That's doesn't seem easy to go over. More likely we use the MLE and get hard capped.

We can't sign a FA with cap space, then use the MLE. Room exception and vet mins only.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#400 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:28 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
MavCarter wrote:

We can't sign a FA with cap space, then use the MLE. Room exception and vet mins only.

If we sign a UFA, then re-sign OG, are we not over the cap and then able to use the MLE?

Return to Toronto Raptors