ImageImageImageImageImage

Immanuel Quickley to the Knicks @ 25

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Re: Immanuel Quickley to the Knicks @ 25 

Post#181 » by SelbyCobra » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:04 pm

karkinos wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
If anybody has ESPN+, they can get the rest of this report:

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/216435/immanuel-quickley

Spoiler:
ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/16/2018

Strengths:
He's a true point guard with great positional size (6-foot-3.5) and length (6-foot-8 wingspan). He has a high I.Q., good instinctive feel for the game, is very fluid with the ball, equally adept at handling to both sides, and a dependable decision maker and good passer in a variety of situations. He can see and pass over the defense, feeds the post beautifully, makes basic reads off the ball-screen, and throws ahead in transition. He makes open shots to the arc and is a generally competitive defender who moves his feet relatively well and uses his length effectively. There's more value in his intangibles as he's a worker with humility and the type of point guard that his teammates like playing with.

Weaknesses:
He's not quite as dynamic with the ball as some of the other five-star point guards in the class and so not quite as valuable in late clock situations. He's a good, not great, athlete who relies on his size and length more so than his burst to create playmaking opportunities and hasn't yet shown a ton of craft as a finisher in traffic. He's a consistent shooter with his feet set but not yet the type of guy who can make tough shots on a regular basis. Defensively, he tends to be better playing gaps and angles than he is pressuring the ball away from the basket.

Bottom Line:
Quickley isn't the most dynamic or creative of the five-star point guards, but he may be the most reliable. He's a true floor general with great positional size and length who distributes the ball, makes good decisions, knocks down open shots, defends, and brings a wealth of intangibles.

You are the man, thank you, sir!
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#182 » by SelbyCobra » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:11 pm

Oh wow, check out this article I just found from February that is almost entirely Kenny Payne speaking about Quickley. If you're not familiar, Just after the new year (1/18/20) Kentucky made Quickley, who had been playing but not starting, a permanent starter when they shifted to a 3 guard lineup, and the team took off like a rocket finishing the last 15 games of the season after the decision 13-2.

We heard Kenny Payne was involved in the selection on draft night, but here is your evidence of his thoughts on IQ (and our hope that he's a steal ready to make that UK Leap™):

https://247sports.com/Article/Kentuckys-Quickley-is-talk-of-the-SEC-but-process-started-last-summer-144239434/

Last year, Quickley averaged 5.2 points reaching double figures in SEC play on three occasions. This season, Quickley has topped double figures in all 14 conference games, averaging a team-best 18.4 points. He is shooting 45.6 percent from 3-point range and has made 90 of 99 free throws.

“Just his mental approach from the summer when he first came back,” associate head coach Kenny Payne said Monday. “I think there was an all-star game or a summer league game or something that he played in and people were calling and saying, ‘Wow. He had 40-something in this game against pros. It was against top-level guys and he looked different.’

“Then when he came here there was a different type of swagger about him,” Payne said. “He could handle criticism. He could handle tough coaching, which last year he struggled with. Being able to deal with letting the coach down by not performing to your ability, I think that weighed on him last year, whereas now it’s the only person I have to please is me. I know what I’m doing. I’m comfortable with who I am as a player. I think another part of Immanuel’s growth is his faith in God. It doesn’t get talked about a lot, but he has depended on that when he needed it the most.”

Quickley’s game has matured right along with his personal growth as he moved away from being the team’s point guard.

“It is a huge adjustment just simply from the point of not having the ball in your hands. You lose a little bit of that making decisions,” Payne said. “So you have to adjust your game. The great ones that have come here, the players that have had a lot of success – Jamal Murrays, Isaiah Briscoes – those guys had the ball in their hands so much in high school and the adjustment of playing off of the ball, traditionally it has made them better basketball players. I think Immanuel is a case of that. It’s going to make him – and it has made him – a better basketball, a more well-rounded player.

“What you are watching, his decision-making has come just as far as any part of his game,” Payne said. “Now, is it where it needs to be? No. But, it’s light years ahead of where it was. To be able to beat a person off of the dribble and make a quick decision, whether it’s a lob, a skip pass or shoot it, I think that has come a long way with him.”

In a situation nobody saw coming, Quickley has elevated himself to be the player Kentucky turns to with the game on the line. The coveted “go-to” player.

“I think when you look back over the baskets that we’ve had down the stretch of games, it’s one common denominator. He’s been making big plays and putting that ball in the basket a multitude of ways,” Payne said. “A guy you would start out saying is a catch-and-shoot guy is now beating people off of the dribble, getting into the lane, making floaters, making pull-ups, making tough 2s, layups, along with making 3s.”

Quickley has played his way into serious consideration for SEC Player of the Year.

“Immanuel Quickley, who probably doesn’t get enough credit simply from where he came from to where he is today, unbelievable,” Payne said. “Where he is mentally as opposed to last year where his mind was racing and there was so much doubt, the growth that he’s shown, not just in the shooting and in basketball and making plays, but just mentally of being sure who he is as a player, it’s a long way. He came a long way.”
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#183 » by SelbyCobra » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm

Seriously - read that and tell me 9 months later new Knicks assistant coach Kenny Payne wasn't holding the war room at gunpoint until the Quickley pick was turned in. I love it.

Here's the ESPN feed from when they cut to Leon & Co, showing Kenny Payne responding to Scott Perry saying he didn't like IQ after Rose went around the table asking for feedback.

FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#184 » by FlashFlood » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 pm

I'm pretty excited for Quickley. He's projecting into a future starter in the NBA with his shooting and defense.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Post#185 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:44 pm

ABOVE_THE_RIM wrote:So deal ends up being Quickley, 2023 2nd & rights you Mathias Lessort who looks like a beast. Hope they bring him over. His energy is needed. Even if it’s at the end of the bench & in French lol.

Do the Knicks have Lessort's rights or not?
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#186 » by Triple C » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:43 pm

Read on Twitter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#187 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:18 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
ABOVE_THE_RIM wrote:So deal ends up being Quickley, 2023 2nd & rights you Mathias Lessort who looks like a beast. Hope they bring him over. His energy is needed. Even if it’s at the end of the bench & in French lol.

Do the Knicks have Lessort's rights or not?

I would prefer to have Moresort's rights.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#188 » by BKlutch » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 pm

I know we've all been so beaten up over years and years that nobody wants to believe the current front office can do anything right. But they are all in on IQ and so is Coach Cal. The least we can do is accept we don't know quite as much as they do, and wait to see how their draft signings work out. Then we can judge.

Whatever IQ is, he is clearly much smarter and knows a lot more about the game than Knox. That's something.

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#189 » by GEOLINK » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Read on Twitter
NewEra
RealGM
And1: 13,289

Post#190 » by NewEra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:57 am

Great kid! Rooting for him
BAF- 2020 Champs | 2021 2k Champs
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,062

Post#191 » by RHODEY » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 am

Rook is repping his new city...

Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,719

Post#192 » by Handledatruth » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:39 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:This guy could be a future 50-40-90. These guys are not easy to find. If he's at least a consistent Wayne Ellington I'm cool with it. Especially at 25.

i dunno about the 50 part

Yea that's the hard one, but having the 40-90 part on lock is good start.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,020

Post#193 » by moocow007 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:50 am

He needs to work on his ball skills...a lot.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Post#194 » by Jose7 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:36 am

He can shoot but he has no handle. Hope he’s good at finding his spots off the ball.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Davis18
Senior
And1: 674

Post#195 » by Davis18 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:44 am

I would definitely take Ben Gordon with defense for 25th pick.
If he ever becomes that.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#196 » by DowNY » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#197 » by Fury » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:43 pm

His defense might even be more important than his ball handling tbh. That’s what will keep him on the court.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#198 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:09 pm

moocow007 wrote:He needs to work on his ball skills...a lot.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

That's what she said.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,356

Post#199 » by Ray Williams » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Read on Twitter
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,606

Post#200 » by stuporman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:36 pm

I watch video of him and I can see the PG skills peeking through even though his role at KY wasn't allowing him to show them as much.

He may never be a 8-10apg guy but he can run an offense, play in the half court and dish it so combine that with his ability to shoot and defend he can be very effective at the 1. Especially if there are other players on the floor with him who can facilitate like RJ can because he can play off ball as demonstrated by the time he spent at KY.

Could he be the type of player taken later in the first round that winds up being the 'steal' of the draft? He has the skill set and mentality to be that but let's see if he even gets the chance to flourish this season in a crowded back court on a team with a new coach and system.

On a college team that had two other good defenders he was the primary guard stopper plus he is a flame thrower so he has some ready made NBA skills right now.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job

Return to New York Knicks