Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Beat back in a new format with Mark K and See Red Fred

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,750

Re: Bulls Beat 11/19 - About 30 minutes on why you shouldn't Panic on Patrick Williams 

Post#61 » by dougthonus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:45 pm

New show up on the draft, action is going to be hitting fast now!
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Re: Bulls Beat 11/19 - About 30 minutes on why you shouldn't Panic on Patrick Williams 

Post#62 » by dougthonus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:48 pm

New show up on the Bulls full off-season, C is for Conservative
@doug_thonus on twitter
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#63 » by Pax for Prez » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:45 am

dougthonus wrote:New show up on the Bulls full off-season, C is for Conservative

Thanks Doug, just got caught up on the last 2 esp. of Bulls Beat.

Agreed on both draft and Free Agency grades.

After the draft I felt the same way on Williams as you, but after seeing the last practice video, his body seems a bit slimmer than when he played in college. I also thought this on draft night when he was in his suit. With his age we hope the upside is there. I was also happy with the Dotson signing as a developmental player. This team needs to become more athletic overall.

The biggest problem is the lack of roster spots and future assets (only our own picks and missing our 2nd rd in 2023- possible the HS draft) for AKME to work with. I was surprised with the Valentine QO. I think things may also be quite at trade deadline this year because of the long term player deals other teams will be pushing at that time trying to make a deal. Next off season will be the time to make a big leap forward.
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Re: Bulls Beat 11/22 - C is for Conservative, off-season grades 

Post#64 » by Jello Biafra » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:56 pm

dougthonus wrote:Hey everyone, and please excuse the blatant promotion.

Now that I'm full time remote permanently at my job and gained 2.5 hours back on my commute, I'm going to try and bring back the Bulls Beat on a regular basis. I'm going to be experimenting with a new format of trying to record three to five times per week in shorter bursts with fewer topics.

Your old feed may not work as I moved to podbean for subscriptions:

You can check out the reboot episode at:
RSS: https://feed.podbean.com/bullsbeat/feed.xml
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat will get you links to everything

If you ever want to ask a question for the show, just respond to this thread or @doug_thonus on twitter.

Hey Doug. I listened to your podcast for the first time and I'm super impressed. I listen to Bulls Talk, Gimme the Hot Sauce and Sharp Shooters during my daily run. Your podcast is now in the rotation, and I must say, it is at least as good if not better than all of them and is far superior to Bulls Talk which imo is ruined by Jason Goff who can't say "what do you think KC?" in less than 200,000 words. (I never understood the idea of a host who talks over and through the expert talent and guests).

Thanks for this. I'll hit you up on twitter as well.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#65 » by dougthonus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:Hey Doug. I listened to your podcast for the first time and I'm super impressed. I listen to Bulls Talk, Gimme the Hot Sauce and Sharp Shooters during my daily run. Your podcast is now in the rotation, and I must say, it is at least as good if not better than all of them and is far superior to Bulls Talk which imo is ruined by Jason Goff who can't say "what do you think KC?" in less than 200,000 words. (I never understood the idea of a host who talks over and through the expert talent and guests).

I like Jason Goff a lot, but I agree that he hasn't yet fully transitioned from "I am the man stating my opinion" to "I am the host facilitating others opinion" due to his move from being a radio guy where his primary role was the first of those things to his new role with the Bulls.

I also am often screaming at him to let KC talk in my head. It's funny, one of the reasons I rarely have guests on the show is that I know I struggle to let the guest speak and behave exactly like Jason Goff in that same situation.
@doug_thonus on twitter
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,489

Post#66 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:26 pm

I’m an infrequent Bulls Talk listener and hadn’t noticed the Goff overtalking thing until last week, when I walked my dog 7 city blocks during one of his rants (I counted) about giving this front office a chance to prove itself.

I hope someone slides him that note because he’s super talented and deserves to go far.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#67 » by PaKii94 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:41 pm

I guess I never considered bulls talk as a host-guest relationship. In my mind it was an equal footing chat so I haven't noticed Goff overextending himself. But I probably will notice it now :lol:

Gonna give the latest episode a listen during my drive into the city tonight. I probably won't agree with you doug considering our other discussions on the board but I'm always grateful for more bulls content (especially from this board)!
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#68 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:08 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I’m an infrequent Bulls Talk listener and hadn’t noticed the Goff overtalking thing until last week, when I walked my dog 7 city blocks during one of his rants (I counted) about giving this front office a chance to prove itself.

I hope someone slides him that note because he’s super talented and deserves to go far.

Yeah, I think its just knowing what role you fill in which situation. Goff is very good and can definitely carry these types of conversations on his own and in fact, it has largely been his job to do primarily that his whole career.

I don't listen to any of the other podcasts too regularly, so I don't know if I also just caught him on a bad day.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#69 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:10 am

PaKii94 wrote:I guess I never considered bulls talk as a host-guest relationship. In my mind it was an equal footing chat so I haven't noticed Goff overextending himself. But I probably will notice it now :lol:

Yeah, I do think it is back and forth, but there are occasions where he's asking for KC's opinion, but then leading him for an extended period of time and won't let him get there. It kind of depends on the topic. Either way, I'm sympathetic, because a big reason I do my show solo is because I struggle a lot with that.

Gonna give the latest episode a listen during my drive into the city tonight. I probably won't agree with you doug considering our other discussions on the board but I'm always grateful for more bulls content (especially from this board)!

Haha, you never know, I don't think I came on too strong in one direction. I typically will state my point, but even then, I'm pretty open to the idea that I'm the moron on the room :lol:
@doug_thonus on twitter
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#70 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:54 am

dougthonus wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:Hey Doug. I listened to your podcast for the first time and I'm super impressed. I listen to Bulls Talk, Gimme the Hot Sauce and Sharp Shooters during my daily run. Your podcast is now in the rotation, and I must say, it is at least as good if not better than all of them and is far superior to Bulls Talk which imo is ruined by Jason Goff who can't say "what do you think KC?" in less than 200,000 words. (I never understood the idea of a host who talks over and through the expert talent and guests).

I like Jason Goff a lot, but I agree that he hasn't yet fully transitioned from "I am the man stating my opinion" to "I am the host facilitating others opinion" due to his move from being a radio guy where his primary role was the first of those things to his new role with the Bulls.

I also am often screaming at him to let KC talk in my head. It's funny, one of the reasons I rarely have guests on the show is that I know I struggle to let the guest speak and behave exactly like Jason Goff in that same situation.

I sometimes ramble a little when I ask a question as well, but I think I've gotten better at it when we are interviewing a guest.

I try to make it a point now.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Jello Biafra
Analyst

Post#71 » by Jello Biafra » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:08 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I sometimes ramble a little when I ask a question as well, but I think I've gotten better at it when we are interviewing a guest.

Mark Schanowski is a pro's pro when it comes to to asking the right question succinctly and stepping a side. Guess I've been spoiled by listening to him the last few years. Goff has bounced around for a reason.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#72 » by rtblues » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:26 am

Overall I prefer the podcasts where you are solo. Having said that, an occasional guest, one who is an "expert" in some aspect of the NBA/Bulls. Someone like Danny Leroux or John Hollinger, although I realize there are probably contractual situations about which podcasters can be a guest on which podcasts, that's out there. But maybe do avoid the ill-informed, cringe-worthy "Stans" who say incredibly dumb stuff, although I do like your retorts and take-downs of mad science. Not naming any names, the people on this board can connect whatever dots come to mind. ;-)
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Jello Biafra
Analyst

Post#73 » by Jello Biafra » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:11 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I'll give your podcast a listen today. It's Cash Considerations, right? And apologies in advance if I don't gush over it like I did Doug's. I've got a busy day today.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#74 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I'll give your podcast a listen today. It's Cash Considerations, right? And apologies in advance if I don't gush over it like I did Doug's. I've got a busy day today.

He's Bulls Gold. Cash Considerations is Ricky O'Donnell and Jay Patt whom are both blogabull guys. I think that one is pretty good too though, I especially like Jay Patt.
@doug_thonus on twitter
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#75 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

As Doug said, I do Bulls Gold. No worries on not gushing over it. You simply listening is more than appreciated. :D
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Jello Biafra
Analyst

Post#76 » by Jello Biafra » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:14 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:I sometimes ramble a little when I ask a question as well, but I think I've gotten better at it when we are interviewing a guest.

As Doug said, I do Bulls Gold. No worries on not gushing over it. You simply listening is more than appreciated. :D

I thought you did a great job interviewing Spencer Pearlman! That being said, after he explained his methodology to KC in a podcast a month ago wherein he stated that all he needed to look at was clips from six games in order to properly evaluate a prospect I immediately discounted his evaluation of this draft class. None of these guys have been in a vacuum the last 9 months and he has been employed as a lawyer in the intervening period so his evaluation was stale.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#77 » by dougthonus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:33 pm

If you aren't a regular listener, a couple fun episodes in the last two:

All subscription links here:
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat

Direct links to the couple new recent shows:
Big Dave from Bulls Outsiders / Bulls Outcasts / BAWL sports joins the show
and
Kc Johnson joins the show
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#78 » by dougthonus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:37 am

dougthonus wrote:If you aren't a regular listener, a couple fun episodes in the last two:

and

It was really interesting to hear KC describe his relationship with John Paxson (and to contrast to where he is at with AKME). I thought it was pretty insightful given how many people felt how plugged in KC was.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#79 » by Pax for Prez » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 am

dougthonus wrote:If you aren't a regular listener, a couple fun episodes in the last two:

and

Thanks Doug, loved the KC show. Will be interesting at the trade deadline with Lauri.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#80 » by rtblues » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Pax for Prez wrote:

and

Thanks Doug, loved the KC show. Will be interesting at the trade deadline with Lauri.

Call me crazy, but I think you just found the perfect partner to do 2-man pods with! The episode with K.C. Johnson was quite good. It's good to hear you when you're not fending off wild-eyed ideas from Stans, but rather engaging in-depth discussions with another very knowledgeable and realistic analyst.

For me the two of you are better than the pod that KC does with the NBC Sports crew, or the pod you do with SRF.
Although your ability to completely annihilate the insane ramblings of SRF does have its own special brand of entertainment value!
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016

Return to Chicago Bulls