ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Re: With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn 

Post#361 » by Dalek » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:41 pm

Not that we would ever doubt the drafting in Toronto, but this information maybe confirms how Toronto rated Flynn.

Based on the 1,000+ possessions of data we collected for the 60 prospects in the SIS Hoops database, Flynn had the fourth-highest Net Winning Impact per Offensive Possession.

Note: Winning Plays are defined as any play, on-/off-ball, where a player either significantly increases his team’s chances of scoring or decreases his opponent’s chances of scoring; Losing Plays are simply the opposite.

Even more telling — and before our data existed impossible to quantify — is that despite his positional size Flynn led the entire database in Defensive Winning Impact. It’s not surprising that San Diego State went from 21-13 in 2018-19 to 30-2 in 2019-20 after Flynn joined the team.

Flynn will be able to help Toronto’s offense right away both on-ball (where he rated 9th in Creating On-Ball Advantages, 8th in Passing/Playmaking) and off-ball (4th in Outside Shooting).

Similarly, on defense he will be able to defend ball-handlers at the point-of-attack (5th in Point-of-Attack Defense) and can be relied upon to be disciplined (3rd in Defensive Discipline & Maturity) and active (6th in Defensive Willingness & Activity) away from the ball.

https://actasports.com/statoftheweekthe-biggest-steal-of-the-2020-nba-draft/

Winning impact leaders of this class:

1. LaMelo Ball Hornets
2. Killian Hayes Pistons
3. Kira Lewis Jr. Pelicans
4. Malachi Flynn Raptors
5. Tyrese Haliburton Kings

Curious most about the POA defense. If he can be a plus on that end I feel really good about this pick. The only thing really holding me back with him is his smallish measurements and athleticism. He just just looks a bit skinny to me being a sub-200 lbs guard. Will he fight through screens and survive? Can those quick hands still translate in a league that watches hand-checking? The good nees is he will immediately learn from the two best small guards in the NBA.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,280

Re: With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn 

Post#362 » by raptorstime » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 am

Flynn will be special
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#363 » by fbalmeida » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:30 pm

I've already got him pencilled in as a starter along side Fred in 2021.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,986

Post#364 » by DelAbbot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Flynn sounds like a FVV with more offensive abilities, albeit similar lack of size and athleticism. Going to be a winning/high impact player on a contender.

Our draft analytics is really fantastic.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#365 » by RaptorsNorth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Flynn is better at finishing at the rim than Fred is. I would pay good money to watch those guys in practice. If he can learn how to get to his spots to pick up charges like Lowry smh man man man hoo man!!!
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#366 » by DreamTeam09 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:10 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Flynn sounds like a FVV with more offensive abilities, albeit similar lack of size and athleticism. Going to be a winning/high impact player on a contender.

Our draft analytics is really fantastic.

He's definitely more athletic than both FVV + Lowry

But he's not jumping out the gym at the same time

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Dalek
RealGM

Post#367 » by Dalek » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 pm

I like Flynn but I wonder how far off Tillman was rated from him? As predicted, our frontcourt is in shambles after free agency. Tillman would have been strong and smart enough to throw out there.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#368 » by ItsDanger » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:34 pm

Listened to his local interviews. Impressed by his maturity and focus on winning.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Post#369 » by God Squad » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:05 am

VC15Era wrote:my question is will there be official updated rosters for NBA 2K21?

There was on next gen. All rookies added to teams
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#370 » by beanbag » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:36 pm

I'm not reading through this thread to see if someone said this already, but I'm just letting you guys know I'm never referring to Malachi Flynn as Malachi Flynn ever again.

Read on Twitter
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,259

Post#371 » by mrdressup » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:11 pm

The Red VanVleet...I like.
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,378

Post#372 » by visionquest » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:46 pm

According to this guy, selecting Malachi was a SURPRISE!

He's not sure what Toronto was doing with this pick.

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,621

Post#373 » by Psubs » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:57 pm

visionquest wrote:According to this guy, selecting Malachi was a SURPRISE!

He's not sure what Toronto was doing with this pick.

He was put on the spot and I see it with the plethora of guards the Raptors have.

Though he said Pritchard will be a good backup PG, which I agree, like Jalen Brunson. Flynn is more complete and a potential starter.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,207

Post#374 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Dalek wrote:Not that we would ever doubt the drafting in Toronto, but this information maybe confirms how Toronto rated Flynn.

Based on the 1,000+ possessions of data we collected for the 60 prospects in the SIS Hoops database, Flynn had the fourth-highest Net Winning Impact per Offensive Possession.

Note: Winning Plays are defined as any play, on-/off-ball, where a player either significantly increases his team’s chances of scoring or decreases his opponent’s chances of scoring; Losing Plays are simply the opposite.

Even more telling — and before our data existed impossible to quantify — is that despite his positional size Flynn led the entire database in Defensive Winning Impact. It’s not surprising that San Diego State went from 21-13 in 2018-19 to 30-2 in 2019-20 after Flynn joined the team.

Flynn will be able to help Toronto’s offense right away both on-ball (where he rated 9th in Creating On-Ball Advantages, 8th in Passing/Playmaking) and off-ball (4th in Outside Shooting).

Similarly, on defense he will be able to defend ball-handlers at the point-of-attack (5th in Point-of-Attack Defense) and can be relied upon to be disciplined (3rd in Defensive Discipline & Maturity) and active (6th in Defensive Willingness & Activity) away from the ball.

1. LaMelo Ball Hornets
2. Killian Hayes Pistons
4. Malachi Flynn Raptors

Curious most about the POA defense. If he can be a plus on that end I feel really good about this pick. The only thing really holding me back with him is his smallish measurements and athleticism. He just just looks a bit skinny to me being a sub-200 lbs guard. Will he fight through screens and survive? Can those quick hands still translate in a league that watches hand-checking? The good nees is he will immediately learn from the two best small guards in the NBA.

how does this stat compare with players from past drafts. Have they made anything of themselves?
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#375 » by Dalek » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:27 am

mrdressup wrote:The Red VanVleet...I like.

Damn. I was hoping he could adopt the nickname Micky Finn. All the 90s Junglists out there would know.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#376 » by Dalek » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:48 am

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Dalek wrote:Not that we would ever doubt the drafting in Toronto, but this information maybe confirms how Toronto rated Flynn.

1. LaMelo Ball Hornets
2. Killian Hayes Pistons
4. Malachi Flynn Raptors

how does this stat compare with players from past drafts. Have they made anything of themselves?

I wish I could tell you more about this stat but they have a database that is locked behind a paywall. I think these guys do baseball stats normally, so this must be a new venture for them.
WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Post#377 » by WeTheNorth123 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:59 am

Red VanVleet was the right pick. This dude straight up balling....best player on both the best High School & Collage team (*One of the best)

everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#378 » by everdiso » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:27 am

1. LaMelo Ball Hornets
2. Killian Hayes Pistons
4. Malachi Flynn Raptors

This is delicious.

We have the best front office in the league. By a lot.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
JPriest
Senior
And1: 843

Post#379 » by JPriest » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:52 am

Dalek wrote:I like Flynn but I wonder how far off Tillman was rated from him? As predicted, our frontcourt is in shambles after free agency. Tillman would have been strong and smart enough to throw out there.

The Raptors front court is hardly in shambles. Shouldn't let the brand names of Gasol and Ibaka fool us. In are younger players who can shoot, who are way more athletic and can keep up with Nurse's defensive schemes. Out are two older guys who got exposed by a younger faster team in the playoffs. It was obvious this team needed some new blood in the front court after that Boston series. Whether Nurse relies on a front court of Siakam-OG more often remains to be seen. I think it's been made clear how this front office drafts and values talent. They never draft for need nor should they. Regardless of position, they value skill, defence, hard work, advanced stats darlings, and confidence without that me-first arrogance of stars born between the mid 80s and the early 90s. But it seems they've also learned quality bigs are a dime a dozen and unless one's a Jokic or Embidd, bigs aren't true impact players that they used to be. They don't waste picks on bigs when highly naturally skilled guys are still on the board. Flynn was a no brainer.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,888

Post#380 » by Reeko » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:07 am

I think his absolute floor is Luke Ridnour, a great back up and passable starter. Not sure what his ceiling is, but I think a great and likely outcome is Mike Bibby with better defense, so borderline All Star.

I noticed some people saying he reminded them of Chris Paul, I also noticed this, it's the way he navigates and probes the court with his dribble. However, looking at CP's college stats I highly doubt that Flynn will be that good, Paul shot around 48% from the field and from 3 in his two college seasons.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.

Return to Toronto Raptors