Gobert Available?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Re: Gobert Available? 

Post#41 » by red4hf » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:32 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:Gobert made 3 All-NBA teams, won 2 DPOYs and made an all-star team in the last 3 years.

A certain player who barely played in those 3 years and has been heavily hit by injuries just got 4/120 contract.

There is zero chance Rudy is going to agree to anything less than 4/150... I don't think...

Hayward was paid the wing premium, I think Gobert will likely get the same money, maybe a bit more, 4 yr 140.

I don't think it's a wing premium, I just think whoever is running the Hornets is an idiot...... Not only base on this singning, mind you......
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#42 » by Catchall » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:39 pm

Maybe make it $132M with outlandish incentives to make it potentially $145M or something.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#43 » by zero24gravity » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:13 pm

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:Gobert made 3 All-NBA teams, won 2 DPOYs and made an all-star team in the last 3 years.

A certain player who barely played in those 3 years and has been heavily hit by injuries just got 4/120 contract.

There is zero chance Rudy is going to agree to anything less than 4/150... I don't think...

Hayward was paid the wing premium, I think Gobert will likely get the same money, maybe a bit more, 4 yr 140.

I don't think it's a wing premium, I just think whoever is running the Hornets is an idiot...... Not only base on this singning, mind you......

Yup, this. (sorry I don't have anything more to add.)
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#44 » by stitches » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:16 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I mean Lowe is saying both Boston and Indiana had offers north of 100M too. Something between 105 and 110M. It's not the 120 he got but still pretty close.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by zero24gravity » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:16 pm

Catchall wrote:I could see a deal around 4 years/$132M. Kawhi is on a 3-year deal at $103M, so an average of $31M/year.

Giving Gobert a 4-year deal at an average of $33M/year should be fine for both sides. I don't think the Jazz should go higher than that, tbh.

Mitchell's deal is an average of $33M/year.

Whatever Gobert signs for is a good deal for the Jazz, IMO. The lack of appreciation for his unique impact is astonishing. With that said, I'm more concerned with the number of years than I am the yearly amount. I'd prefer to see a shorter contract, so if his skill set erodes or injuries strike (common in big guys) in a couple years, the team isn't stuck with a plodding big man on a massive contract.
red4hf

Post#46 » by red4hf » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:34 pm

stitches wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
red4hf wrote:

I mean Lowe is saying both Boston and Indiana had offers north of 100M too. Something between 105 and 110M. It's not the 120 he got but still pretty close.

Boston and Indiana both dodged a bullet...... They should be thanking the Hornets....... Not that Gordon is a scrub, but his game is going to decline, he's not living up to that contract..... Not even close.......
red4hf

Post#47 » by red4hf » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Catchall wrote:I could see a deal around 4 years/$132M. Kawhi is on a 3-year deal at $103M, so an average of $31M/year.

Giving Gobert a 4-year deal at an average of $33M/year should be fine for both sides. I don't think the Jazz should go higher than that, tbh.

Whatever Gobert signs for is a good deal for the Jazz, IMO. The lack of appreciation for his unique impact is astonishing. With that said, I'm more concerned with the number of years than I am the yearly amount. I'd prefer to see a shorter contract, so if his skill set erodes or injuries strike (common in big guys) in a couple years, the team isn't stuck with a plodding big man on a massive contract.

So you're good with the Jazz paying him more than $40 mil a year?

He's an incredible player, but he's not worth that, especially since we'd be bidding against ourselves.......
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by zero24gravity » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:46 pm

red4hf wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

He's an incredible player, but he's not worth that, especially since we'd be bidding against ourselves.......

"good with" ... questionable. But much better than trading him for a player without half his impact and some future assets that are unlikely to ever reach close to his stature. (You think Mitchell is going to be ok with a 5 year rebuilding plan??) I love Favs, but if people think that he & a defensive wing (via Gobert trade) can replace Gobert for 35mpg, they are crazy.

You don't trade a player of Rudy's caliber unless you KNOW you're going to lose him, you can get an equal talented star in return (never happens), or unless you're totally blowing things up.

But that's just me.
red4hf

Post#49 » by red4hf » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
red4hf wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

"good with" ... questionable. But much better than trading him for a player without half his impact and some future assets that are unlikely to ever reach close to his stature. (You think Mitchell is going to be ok with a 5 year rebuilding plan??) I love Favs, but if people think that he & a defensive wing (via Gobert trade) can replace Gobert for 35mpg, they are crazy.

You don't trade a player of Rudy's caliber unless you KNOW you're going to lose him, you can get an equal talented start in return (never happens), or unless you're totally blowing things up.

But that's just me.

I don't want to trade him either, but you also can't have a situation where he, Mitchell and Bojan account for like 70% of the Jazz payroll...... That's not going to work either.......
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#50 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:12 pm

No matter what the money amount is on Gobert’s contract, it doesn’t effect team building. It’s simply a higher tax bill. Question is, do we still want to be a good team with Mitchell before he leaves? If the answer is yes, you have to sign Gobert. You are not getting equal value back.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 771

Post#51 » by dr0welf » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:07 am

Trading Gobert makes this team worst in almost any plausible option. This is a no go for me. Unless you have some ridiculous offer that is hard to turn down you don't entertain even the thought of this.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#52 » by Rauxcee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:30 am

If the Jazz are going to trade Gobert they should trade Mitchell too. There is no point in keeping one without the other and there is no fair value in return, plus Mitchell is not going to go for a rebuild. I question if this team can even make the playoffs without Gobert - whatever we get in a trade will be a downgrade.

I'm one that would rather be good for as long as possible, even if the players don't get it done. I don't see the point in trading a known, high quality player, who is your best player, for a bunch of lesser players and a draft pick that may or may not work out. It's crazy logic.

But if the Jazz go that route, they need to trade Mitchell too and commit to a full rebuild with the best possible assets. Keeping Mitchell is just half assing it, and delaying the inevitable and lowering his trade value.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#53 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:45 am

Potentially relevant for Gobert extension. Adams and Gobert got similar deals in 2016. It's a different market for C's.

Read on Twitter
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#54 » by AingesBurner » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:41 am

KqWIN wrote:Potentially relevant for Gobert extension. Adams and Gobert got similar deals in 2016. It's a different market for C's.

Read on Twitter

Gobert will get at least 10 mill more.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#55 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:33 am

My prediction is 5/$160. Flat at $32 M.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#56 » by stitches » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:48 am

KqWIN wrote:Potentially relevant for Gobert extension. Adams and Gobert got similar deals in 2016. It's a different market for C's.

Read on Twitter

I'm still waiting for anyone to tell me in what way is Adams better than Favors? I mean that... in any way possible. Favors is the better player offensively, better finisher, better shooter, better defender, better rim protector, better rebounder. There is nothing Adams does better on a basketball floor than Favors. Maybe availability? But when healthy Favors is the better player pretty clearly for me.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#57 » by KqWIN » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:59 am

stitches wrote:

Read on Twitter

I'm still waiting for anyone to tell me in what way is Adams better than Favors? I mean that... in any way possible. Favors is the better player offensively, better finisher, better shooter, better defender, better rim protector, better rebounder. There is nothing Adams does better on a basketball floor than Favors. Maybe availability? But when healthy Favors is the better player pretty clearly for me.

TBF, availability is important. I’d be scared to give Favors more than 24 minutes a game. Even that would be pushing it. But you’re right, healthy Favors is clearly better than Adams. But he’s better than a lot of C’s when healthy, he’s top 10.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,384

Post#58 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:05 am

I'm kind of like...if the Jazz can improve by trading Rudy for equal or better I'm all in. I was a champion of Rudy when he was in Corbin's doghouse, but he either signs on a Jazz favorable contract or willing to see him in the rear-view mirror. Yes, Rudy is - but f-him if he can't play with current roster based on ego. He and DM could be epic if he wasn't being such a prima donna.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#59 » by Tom349 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:30 am

stitches wrote:

Read on Twitter

Teams must have little confidence in Favors being able to handle the workload of playing C on big minutes over the course of an 82 game season. Otherwise it makes little sense.

I wonder if Favors has reached a similar conclusion and is why he thinks being a back up to Rudy plus a few minutes at the four is best for the longevity of his career while also having the low key lifestyle he seemingly wants.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#60 » by Catchall » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Jimmy Butler's current contract is 4 years and $140MM. I'd assume Gobert will be in that range.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz