Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#801 » by Jordan Syndrome » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:02 pm

limbo wrote:
Jordan Syndrome wrote:
limbo wrote:
How come?

From my experience, Religion has often been used an extension to be ignorant and thrust one owns belief systems upon others. I haven't seen the same egregious behavior from people claiming to be "non-believers".

Don't people cling to anything they can to be ignorant and thrust their own belief systems upon others regardless?

No.

Good or bad, I think there's something natural about human beings wanting to impose and influence their ideology upon others. I mean... isn't this forum basically living proof of that? How many people here are trying to convince and argue with others about how their view of basketball is the 'correct' way to think about the game and the players.

No, I dont engage with people here to heard a group of lesser minds or get all the yes-men to agree with my opinion. I set out to engage with individuals to gain perspective and knowledge--sometimes my perspective or view point is reinforced but often times I am left questioning my own views.

It would he a sad forum if everyone here agreed with me just as it would be a sad world if everyone had the same political ideology as me or the same perspective on consumpt or enjoyed the same wines and spirits as I succumb to.

It is very easy to have the view point you have. It's an easy way out in a crazy and chaotic society to attribute everything to control or manipulation and move all discussions, as you tend to, to those parameters rather focus on individualistic ideologies.

It is the same reason I will no longer continue this discourse with you--it's repetitive and not fruitful.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#802 » by limbo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:14 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:My question for you:

If RealGM runs things poorly, shouldn't there be a competitor that does it better?

Now, maybe you think there is a place that does it better and I'm not going to even tell you you're wrong - though it'd be worth noting what further use RealGM remains for you if that's the case - but I'd ask this further prompt:

What if forums with more rule structure produce better content? How would you feel about said rules were that so?

Have you been on reddit lately, Doc? :D

RealGM is cool, content wise. Also there's a bunch of very knowledgeable people here that i enjoy talking to, regardless if we agree or not. I kind of miss the throwback forum style boards like this nowadays, i wish there were more around now, reminds me of my childhood as well, before Big Tech and social media started manipulating the internet, introducing BS like upvotes (even though RealGM has And1, that's actually a fun little feature to show you appreciate or echo a comment without it devolving into senseless competition of collecting And1's by sacrificing content) and dividing people...

I try my best to respect the rules. I'm not someone who goes around baiting and trolling people (well, sometimes i have my fun on the General Board, who doesn't :D God forbid we got rid of good ole fashioned banter too, especially in a time like this), or trying to fear/hate monger around the boards.

What bothers me is that there's a certain level of thought/speak policing on this Board akin to Twitter or MSM in general... I don't know if this is done consciously or not, nor do i really care, but the bottom line is that if you want to engage with other users on serious subjects outside of basketball, you're only allow to view things a certain way (or play a very PC version of Devil's advocate) otherwise you're automatically labeled as an -ist (the most popular past time in US, labeling others as -ists) and immediately contacted/warned by a mod.

And i'm not here trying to suggest it should be a free-for-all where people can come here and spew whatever vitriol they choose, obviously that can't fly if you don't want the forum to devolve into complete degeneracy, but some common sense would be appreciated for certain moderators. Some of them are LARP-ing some weird internet police heroes on concerning levels. Bro, save that energy elsewhere.

But i take full responsibility for my actions breaking any rules, nonetheless. I could avoid some strikes by simply using the PM option to a person i was talking with (too lazy to do that, and i also want others to be able to respond, if they want, so there's that) and i've also walked in the middle of a lot of 'heated' threads with my privates hanging and things started getting emotional, and not in the good kind of way... The smarter move would probably be to let things cool down and not stoke the fire even higher, but hey, i never claimed i was smart. ;) I forget most people don't have my ability to just... not take the internet that seriously... I think some people forget it's just a screen and words at the end of the day...
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,430

Post#803 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:27 pm

limbo wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:My question for you:

If RealGM runs things poorly, shouldn't there be a competitor that does it better?

Now, maybe you think there is a place that does it better and I'm not going to even tell you you're wrong - though it'd be worth noting what further use RealGM remains for you if that's the case - but I'd ask this further prompt:

What if forums with more rule structure produce better content? How would you feel about said rules were that so?

Have you been on reddit lately, Doc? :D

RealGM is cool, content wise. Also there's a bunch of very knowledgeable people here that i enjoy talking to, regardless if we agree or not. I kind of miss the throwback forum style boards like this nowadays, i wish there were more around now, reminds me of my childhood as well, before Big Tech and social media started manipulating the internet, introducing BS like upvotes (even though RealGM has And1, that's actually a fun little feature to show you appreciate or echo a comment without it devolving into senseless competition of collecting And1's by sacrificing content) and dividing people...

I try my best to respect the rules. I'm not someone who goes around baiting and trolling people (well, sometimes i have my fun on the General Board, who doesn't :D God forbid we got rid of good ole fashioned banter too, especially in a time like this), or trying to fear/hate monger around the boards.

What bothers me is that there's a certain level of thought/speak policing on this Board akin to Twitter or MSM in general... I don't know if this is done consciously or not, nor do i really care, but the bottom line is that if you want to engage with other users on serious subjects outside of basketball, you're only allow to view things a certain way (or play a very PC version of Devil's advocate) otherwise you're automatically labeled as an -ist (the most popular past time in US, labeling others as -ists) and immediately contacted/warned by a mod.

And i'm not here trying to suggest it should be a free-for-all where people can come here and spew whatever vitriol they choose, obviously that can't fly if you don't want the forum to devolve into complete degeneracy, but some common sense would be appreciated for certain moderators. Some of them are LARP-ing some weird internet police heroes on concerning levels. Bro, save that energy elsewhere.

But i take full responsibility for my actions breaking any rules, nonetheless. I could avoid some strikes by simply using the PM option to a person i was talking with (too lazy to do that, and i also want others to be able to respond, if they want, so there's that) and i've also walked in the middle of a lot of 'heated' threads with my privates hanging and things started getting emotional, and not in the good kind of way... The smarter move would probably be to let things cool down and not stoke the fire even higher, but hey, i never claimed i was smart. ;) I forget most people don't have my ability to just... not take the internet that seriously... I think some people forget it's just a screen and words at the end of the day...

Wait, so you're talking about how RealGM treats stuff outside of basketball?

Are you fine with the standards of rudeness-moderation in basketball boards?
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
limbo
Veteran

Post#804 » by limbo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:51 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Wait, so you're talking about how RealGM treats stuff outside of basketball?

Are you fine with the standards of rudeness-moderation in basketball boards?

Basketball and 'stuff outside of basketball' seem a lot more connected nowadays. Tons of threads on the GB every month about politics in some form or fashion seeping into the NBA fabric and vice versa.

I understand RealGM is trying to make a concerned effort to separate basketball from non-basketball, but when there's a thread every month on GB about why women professional basketball players earn less then men, or Morey commenting on Hong Kong and the league censoring him but kneeling for BLM... What do you want me to do? I'm in there giving my stance like everybody else...

Not to mention that for those exact reasons of not mixing politics/sport i decided to migrate to the Current Affairs side of the board and suffered the same faith :D so ultimately, the message i'm getting is that it really doesn't matter. You will 'groupthink' or you will be warned. That's the gist of it. Eerily similar to MSM.

And i don't know about you Doc, but i'm no thought slave, and i hope you're not as well. I don't like it when people tell me what to think and try to cancel me from giving my opinion. And no, not in a stick-my-fingers-in-my-ear and yell ''lalalalala'' kind of way... like a kid who doesn't want to listen to others. I'm actually the one trying to engage in discourse and see how people rationalize their views... i guess the feelings aren't mutual.

I appreciate your efforts, Doc, but i don't want to turn this into a pity thread for me. It's not like my livelihood is in jeopardy or something... like i said, it's a screen and a bunch of words... it's not that important.

I just really hope someday in the future people aren't going to wake up, look around themselves and say, ''damn, do you think we should've talked about some of these things more openly in the past?'' Hopefully, i'll be long dead before then.
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#805 » by Odinn21 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:20 am

Looking at the conversation trex_8063's question sparked and it really highlights how the demographics are significantly different in the US compared to my country, and Europe in general.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#806 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:54 am

Dr Positivity wrote:
limbo wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:However I believe without religion, there would be a vacuum that could be filled in unpredictable ways.

This is already happening in plain sight. People are lost and searching for guidance, something else that would guide them in the right direction in life. Unfortunately, that vacuum you mentioned is currently being controlled by MSM, politics etc. and they're sucking people directly under their wing and turning them into tax cattle zombie workers, with the only exceptions being truly exceptional people who can break free of that mold by providing extra-ordinary value.

I can't really get into it without breaking the politics rule, but yes, I agree with you. You have a generation of people that grew up in the narcissistic social media era that are now depressed, with student debt, didn't have the romantic lives they wanted, etc. which made them the perfect marks by offering them meaning.

"Hard times make strong men. Strong men make good times. Good times make weak men. Weak men make hard times" I believe the world has had a good run for a number of decades. But you can only go so long before people become complacent, forget the past, and forget about the snakes in the grass long enough for them to rebuild their plans and make another move. I'm actually optimistic the snakes overplayed their hand this time and the future is bright, but again that may be pushing the rules in this thread.

This sounds very American centric. The internet and social media exist all over the world including the most religious parts and there are plenty of depression in those parts. Student debt..? Who the hell is crippled with student debt outside of USA lol.

The idea that people did not struggle with depression back then is really way off. Most people know about older times from watching movies and TV not form reading actual history or memoirs. People suffered just as much back then if not more so because of having to closet their emotions.
limbo
Veteran

Post#807 » by limbo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:30 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:This sounds very American centric. The internet and social media exist all over the world including the most religious parts and there are plenty of depression in those parts. Student debt..? Who the hell is crippled with student debt outside of USA lol.

Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Netherlands, that i know of. Total student debt might 'just' be in the billions instead of trillions like in the US, if that helps your argument. Also, if we are talking about the negative effects of the education industry on people's psyche/future, debt is only one part of the equation. A much larger problem is that 80-90% of college degrees give you no flexible employable skillsets. Stuff like primordial dinosaur studies have no value in the job market, and you can't use degree to help build your own buisness either. Yet, people are being told that 'any degree is a good degree' and ended up wasting at least 4 years of their prime for a worthless piece of paper. The other big problem is that educational institutions have become mass indoctrination camps creating the exact opposite of free-thinking skilled individuals. And yes, there are definitely exceptions to this, but even some of the most stern STEM-based programs are susceptible to this, because they're expected to follow suit.

The idea that people did not struggle with depression back then is really way off. Most people know about older times from watching movies and TV not form reading actual history or memoirs. People suffered just as much back then if not more so because of having to closet their emotions.

Depression is a nautral human condition. The idea that depression is some form of 'disease' that must be avoided at all costs, that there's something fundamentally wrong with a person's brain if he feels depressed, to the point they need to be chemically treated for it, that's a new-age concept.

Depression is a complicated topic that i can't really dive too deep in now, because i don't have the time, but i think the way view and treat depression in the West at present time is fundamentally wrong, and ends up harming a lot more people than it does them any good. That's just my personal opinion, i could elaborate on that later on a bit, if anyone is interested.

Finally, if we're talking about depression, i think we can not skip over the fact that there seems to be an obviois correlation between depression and Maslow's hierarchy, and not in a way one would expect. People who live in countries with objectively better conditions and have more of their basic/fundamental needs met (food, money, shelter, safety etc.) tend to experience a higher/more frequent rate of depression. And this ties back to the idea of purpose like somebody mentioned a couple of posts ago... If you're living in tougher/harder conditions, you simply can't afford to stew and wallow in your feelings because if you don't get up and go address your problems, you will simply lose everything and die.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#808 » by Jaivl » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:59 am

limbo wrote:The other big problem is that educational institutions have become mass indoctrination camps creating the exact opposite of free-thinking skilled individuals.

Man, USA is a weird place. You can't just make some ridiculous image, then oppose it to "freedom" and call it a day.

PS: By the way, all the latest messages in this thread (including mine, of course) are political talk.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
limbo
Veteran

Post#809 » by limbo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:39 am

Man, USA is a weird place. You can't just make some ridiculous image, then oppose it to "freedom" and call it a day.

I don't think i understand what you're trying to say exactly? Could you expound? You think most people come out of college equipped to handle real life and be productive/content members of society?

Btw, i'm not from the US, but US culture/thought seeps into every other corner of the planet, especially Western EU and Australia/NZ, because certain American conglomerates make the rules and control the narrative/information that gets distrusted through the internet directly into people's minds. And we know their agenda as businesses is primarily capital-driven. They're not there to enrich people's lives...

PS: By the way, all the latest messages in this thread (including mine, of course) are political talk.

Everything is political nowadays... That's the reality of life, i didn't make it this way... Even basketball has become political. People can either accept this and try to talk about things that are begging to be discussed, or they can silently put their mask on and choose to ignore it, and pretend like everything will work itself out...

How much longer are the powers that be going to mix politics into every facet of life and then be told we arent allowed to discuss it because ''rules and feelings'' are more important.

One takes strength and courage, the other doesn't, and likely further contributes to the problem.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,430

Post#810 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:58 pm

limbo wrote:The other big problem is that educational institutions have become mass indoctrination camps creating the exact opposite of free-thinking skilled individuals. And yes, there are definitely exceptions to this, but even some of the most stern STEM-based programs are susceptible to this, because they're expected to follow suit.

So, I really am not sure how much to go into this given our No Politics rule, but something I'll say is that while I'm older than some, the notion of colleges being mass indoctrination camps is not that new.

I grew up in a small town as "the smart one" and thus folks in my church would pull me aside would warn me about going off to college and the "hubris" of scientists thinking they know better than God.

I showed up to college, got involved in tons of conversations with people who disagreed with me, and saw my worldviews change drastically, admittedly in some of the precise ways the town church elders feared, but certainly not because I was afraid to challenge my profs or anyone else. On multiple occasions, I responded in the middle of class rebutting my profs, and never once felt that any kind of retribution was a danger.

I will say, I wonder if things are becoming different because people are showing up to college already more set in what they believe due to social media, but that's not a professor thing so much as a peer thing.

My impression having gone through college having previously been warned against indoctrination was simply that to the people in my town "indoctrination" meant coming to believe something different from what the people in the town espoused.

Re: STEM being better. What I'll say there is that my STEM education would generally be seen as "solid", but I thought they were terrible at actually teaching us to think...which I actually think they're inclined to see as a feature rather than a bug. STEM is riding a wave of a terrified populace who thinks that the only way to ensure livelihood is to do STEM, and rather than risk the golden goose by focusing on more on ethics and epistemology, it's variations of plugging and chugging.

While in high school the classes that made me think came from STEM, in college in my STEM majors, it was largely the Humanities classes that actually made me a better thinker (with my Cognitive Science classes being a glaring exception).

limbo wrote:Finally, if we're talking about depression, i think we can not skip over the fact that there seems to be an obviois correlation between depression and Maslow's hierarchy, and not in a way one would expect. People who live in countries with objectively better conditions and have more of their basic/fundamental needs met (food, money, shelter, safety etc.) tend to experience a higher/more frequent rate of depression. And this ties back to the idea of purpose like somebody mentioned a couple of posts ago... If you're living in tougher/harder conditions, you simply can't afford to stew and wallow in your feelings because if you don't get up and go address your problems, you will simply lose everything and die.

I wanted to speak to this specifically. So as you might have seen me say before, I'm a teacher.

People often ask what's wrong with K-12 Education, and I always say that if you want one word, it's Demoralization.

They same is true for my whole damn country, and many other countries. We are Demoralized. We no longer seem to believe we can build big things together. We've become cynical, and while this gives us a certain type of confidence, it leaves us largely disempowered as do-ers.

I try to imagine how current Americans would respond to WWI and WWII and I just fine myself thinking "We'd have done nothing." We quite possibly wouldn't have entered into either war, and if we did enter in, we'd fail to achieve the kind of rapid development of manufacturing and trained that turned us from a backwater to a superpower in a remarkably brief window.

If this seems like I'm attacking one side of the aisle, know that while certain related phenomena are spread asymmetrically across the proverbial political spectrum, I am talking about a general phenomenon where we're getting lost in certain types of abstractions.

When the task was as concrete as building factories and tanks, we believed that we were in this together.

We've lost a lot of that now, and if we don't find a way to get it back, we should expect to be outperformed by other nations that actually have their ducks in a row.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#811 » by 70sFan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:07 am

Religion is very sophisticated topic, but I don't think a world without religion would be better. Personally, I can only speak about Catolicism as I'm from Poland (I know a bit about excint religions, but not much about other that still exist). Recently, we have very tough times for Catolic churches in Poland due to political and social environment we live in now (recent scandal with abortion). I'm clearly against what Catolicism say about these things, but it doesn't mean that I believe the world would be better without it.

I think there is a strong connection between the history of science and the history of european religions. I might be wrong, but I believe that Catolicism created better social environment for exploring and studying the whole world than any other religion. Many people still don't realize that our wester civilisation is built at two things: ancient Greeks thought and Catolic beliefs. Now a lot of people believe that the church slowed down the process of understanding the world but I don't see convincing reasons to believe that. Not to mention that Catolicism provided the purest and most beautiful (at least in my opinion, so if there's anyone with different beliefs don't feel offended) set of moral values - the values we still use as a foundation of our civilization.

Religion always had two purposes - to find a greater truth but also to organize societies. If there's one big problem for religion in recent time, it's with the second one - people don't need religion to organize our lives anymore. Due to globalization and capitalism, people have much wider pool of possibilites now. Catolicism has been doing a poor job at adaptation to these new world. I think it's fair to say that they live in a huge recession for over a hundret of years to this day. Again - this is from my experience, but priests aren't educated enough in most ways to do their job well and religion classes in schools are mostly a joke (I don't know if something like this exist outside of Poland). People don't realize that theology is a real study, people don't find it serious.

I will say one thing though - if the progression of science didn't eliminate religion (and it shouldn't, they act about completely different things), then I don't think anything coming from public masses that would replace/remove religion would be better for society. I say this as someone who's not Christian and I hasn't decided which path I'll choose. The world is fascinating anyway after all ;)

You may disagree of course, I'm just a young student who still has a lot to learn about life ;) Sorry if this post is against the rules by the way.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#812 » by 70sFan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:14 am

limbo wrote: A much larger problem is that 80-90% of college degrees give you no flexible employable skillsets. Stuff like primordial dinosaur studies have no value in the job market, and you can't use degree to help build your own buisness either. Yet, people are being told that 'any degree is a good degree' and ended up wasting at least 4 years of their prime for a worthless piece of paper.

Actually I 100% agree with you here (maybe we should talk more about non-basketball topics? :D ).

Nowadays people expect that college degree give you a job, but it shouldn't work this way (and it didn't). College education should be for people who want to expand the boundaries of knowledge in given study. College education should be for people who want to work as scientists (don't know the word for human study scientists...) and it shouldn't be something most people want to do for the first years of maturity. We shouldn't act like having no degree is a bad thing - in fact, most people shouldn't go to universities in first place.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#813 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:45 am

70sFan wrote:
limbo wrote: A much larger problem is that 80-90% of college degrees give you no flexible employable skillsets. Stuff like primordial dinosaur studies have no value in the job market, and you can't use degree to help build your own buisness either. Yet, people are being told that 'any degree is a good degree' and ended up wasting at least 4 years of their prime for a worthless piece of paper.

Actually I 100% agree with you here (maybe we should talk more about non-basketball topics? :D ).

Nowadays people expect that college degree give you a job, but it shouldn't work this way (and it didn't). College education should be for people who want to expand the boundaries of knowledge in given study. College education should be for people who want to work as scientists (don't know the word for human study scientists...) and it shouldn't be something most people want to do for the first years of maturity. We shouldn't act like having no degree is a bad thing - in fact, most people shouldn't go to universities in first place.

Wait are you my age lol, i always thought u were like, from the 70s lol
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
70sFan
RealGM

Post#814 » by 70sFan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
70sFan wrote:

I will be 23 next year ;)
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#815 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:54 am

70sFan wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
70sFan wrote:Actually I 100% agree with you here (maybe we should talk more about non-basketball topics? :D ).

im actually shook

i mean your still a good deal older than me

but im shook

im turning 20 and it triggers me

I know the guys on the board r waaay older than me, alot of them at least. I joined when i was 14 lol the amount of things i Pulled out of my *@* was incredible
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
limbo
Veteran

Post#816 » by limbo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:15 am

70sFan wrote:Actually I 100% agree with you here (maybe we should talk more about non-basketball topics? :D ).

There are still some jobs on the market that have a relatively good salary and don't require a college education, i.e. trade jobs, truck driving, etc. but they usually involve a higher degree of hard work, time spent and are potentially health hazardous. On top of that, there's absolutely no status/prestige that comes from jobs like this (which people might laught at this, but social status plays a very signficant role in your ability to build and lead relationships with other people, especially women)...

Understandbly, most people don't like the idea of sitting in a truck and driving all day, or working 8-10 hours as a welder, being exposed to UV radiation that is cancerous and coming home tired and smelling like crap everyday... Most people like the idea of nice easy going job with some fancy reputable title (that's why you see all these social media accounts with 'Head of HR department' so proudly highlighted in their bio, you never see anyone put Joe Schmoe, truck driver on their profile...) and most college programs sell you on that idea.

They tell you to get a degree because it's better than not having a degree. This, in turn, devalues all degrees by law of supply/demand, so now having a degree is the same as having a high school diploma basically, most people have it... so now to stand out you have to go do your Masters, or whatever the next step in American colleges is. So people realize they can't get employment with a standard degree and everyone wastes another couple of years for their Masters. But again, more and more people are doing it, so it devalues it...

And the end of the day you have these people who were being told to pursue an education in a field that interests them in a structure where 80% of degrees don't mean much in the job market, and the stakes for entry are getting higher with every 10, 20 years... First you needed a degree to separate yourself from the rest of the field, now you need a Masters, soon you will need like a doctorate, and that's almost a decade of time and money invested... AND SOME STILL WON'T GET A NORMAL JOB, because they don't realize a doctorate in XYZ studies doesn't give you any translatable skills you can use to make money, which is what 99% of the market cares about... it's a pure scam, making your read and study some niche subject and selling a piece of paper at the end of the turdbow to make you feel like you've achieved something and are educated...

Like you said, leave the college education levels to people who really need the education for what they want to do in life, i.e be an engineer, programmer, scientists, medic... It doesn't help that employers have follow suit with the education industries. 90% of job offers on the market now require you to have a degree, on top of preferably 3 years of experience, on top of knowing 3 languages (if you live where i do), and the job descriptions are always so intimidating like they're doing top level research and require someone who needs to know 100% what he's doing from the jump and not mess up once... Then you get hired and your realize you're just pushing a couple of buttons and entering some data on your PC... Most jobs out there can be learn on the fly relatively quick, because you're doing the same thing over and over and over again... You don't need supreme levela of education for that...people aren't that stupid. Just give them like 6 months - 1 year period of working for free as an insurance to see how serious and capable they are if you're scared and move on from there...

Not to mention when you decide to send an application they don't even care to respond back most of the time, because there's so many people applying they can afford to do whatever...

There's absolutely no need for a young person to go through such as complicated, convuluted and demanding process just to be able to put some food on the table independently... nobody needs this.
limbo
Veteran

Post#817 » by limbo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:21 am

Also, lol at 70sFan being 23 :D that's a bit of a plot twist i wasn't expecting.

I was sure Unibrow was young because he writes exactly like a zoomer would, one/two-sentenced paragraphs with horrible punctuation, formatting and a lot of internet speech
70sFan
RealGM

Post#818 » by 70sFan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:10 am

limbo wrote:

There are still some jobs on the market that have a relatively good salary and don't require a college education, i.e. trade jobs, truck driving, etc. but they usually involve a higher degree of hard work, time spent and are potentially health hazardous. On top of that, there's absolutely no status/prestige that comes from jobs like this (which people might laught at this, but social status plays a very signficant role in your ability to build and lead relationships with other people, especially women)...

Understandbly, most people don't like the idea of sitting in a truck and driving all day, or working 8-10 hours as a welder, being exposed to UV radiation that is cancerous and coming home tired and smelling like crap everyday... Most people like the idea of nice easy going job with some fancy reputable title (that's why you see all these social media accounts with 'Head of HR department' so proudly highlighted in their bio, you never see anyone put Joe Schmoe, truck driver on their profile...) and most college programs sell you on that idea.

They tell you to get a degree because it's better than not having a degree. This, in turn, devalues all degrees by law of supply/demand, so now having a degree is the same as having a high school diploma basically, most people have it... so now to stand out you have to go do your Masters, or whatever the next step in American colleges is. So people realize they can't get employment with a standard degree and everyone wastes another couple of years for their Masters. But again, more and more people are doing it, so it devalues it...

And the end of the day you have these people who were being told to pursue an education in a field that interests them in a structure where 80% of degrees don't mean much in the job market, and the stakes for entry are getting higher with every 10, 20 years... First you needed a degree to separate yourself from the rest of the field, now you need a Masters, soon you will need like a doctorate, and that's almost a decade of time and money invested... AND SOME STILL WON'T GET A NORMAL JOB, because they don't realize a doctorate in XYZ studies doesn't give you any translatable skills you can use to make money, which is what 99% of the market cares about... it's a pure scam, making your read and study some niche subject and selling a piece of paper at the end of the turdbow to make you feel like you've achieved something and are educated...

Like you said, leave the college education levels to people who really need the education for what they want to do in life, i.e be an engineer, programmer, scientists, medic... It doesn't help that employers have follow suit with the education industries. 90% of job offers on the market now require you to have a degree, on top of preferably 3 years of experience, on top of knowing 3 languages (if you live where i do), and the job descriptions are always so intimidating like they're doing top level research and require someone who needs to know 100% what he's doing from the jump and not mess up once... Then you get hired and your realize you're just pushing a couple of buttons and entering some data on your PC... Most jobs out there can be learn on the fly relatively quick, because you're doing the same thing over and over and over again... You don't need supreme levela of education for that...people aren't that stupid. Just give them like 6 months - 1 year period of working for free as an insurance to see how serious and capable they are if you're scared and move on from there...

Not to mention when you decide to send an application they don't even care to respond back most of the time, because there's so many people applying they can afford to do whatever...

There's absolutely no need for a young person to go through such as complicated, convuluted and demanding process just to be able to put some food on the table independently... nobody needs this.

100% agreement with everything you said. A shame the world goes to the wrong direction...

limbo wrote:Also, lol at 70sFan being 23 :D that's a bit of a plot twist i wasn't expecting.

Well, I'm young but I have old fashioned soul. Ask my fiancee :D
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#819 » by Goudelock » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:59 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
70sFan wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:

im actually shook

i mean your still a good deal older than me

but im shook

im turning 20 and it triggers me

I know the guys on the board r waaay older than me, alot of them at least. I joined when i was 14 lol the amount of things i Pulled out of my *@* was incredible

I'd like to join the "People thought I was way older than I actually am when I posted a lot on this board" club too! Makes me wonder how much younger/older people on this board are than what i think they are.

btw 70sFan I'll get back to your email later today.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#820 » by Jaivl » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Damn, Diego really died. Equally expected and unexpected news.

For those who don't follow football, he was easily bigger than the other big sports death this year in Kobe. I'd say bigger than Jordan, even. His cultural impact is unparalelled in sports.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.

Return to Player Comparisons