Post#1921 » by worthlessBucks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:10 am

May all your crypto's be mooners.
Go Bucks!
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1922 » by vital_signs » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:15 pm

Held onto palantir and feel like dancing a jig this morning, also bought more rkt on this mornings dip.

On the flipside I'm punching air for not buying fcel.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#1923 » by humanrefutation » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:19 pm

FCEL's jump in stock price has been pretty fun to watch, but I'm thinking these gains might be temporary.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,398

Post#1924 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Investors often spend a lot of time researching when to buy a stock but little time into when to sell. I'm pretty much a buy and hold investor but when I have a big run up I usually try to lock in some profit and run with the rest. When an investment heads south it's tricky. It's human nature to not want to admit a mistake and sell. You keep hoping for a rebound. But being able to cut your losses is important.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1925 » by Mags FTW » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:41 pm

humanrefutation wrote:FCEL's jump in stock price has been pretty fun to watch, but I'm thinking these gains might be temporary.

Pssh, what do YOU know?

Sent from my GOLD PLATED IPHONE 12 using RealGM mobile app
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#1926 » by bucksbrewers3 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:16 am

I’m trying to get stock for my 4 year old but i am literally lost in this world. I have no idea how risky to go or what to choose.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1927 » by M-C-G » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:44 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:I’m trying to get stock for my 4 year old but i am literally lost in this world. I have no idea how risky to go or what to choose.

I would study ETFs that reinvest dividends. That way it is growing in multiple ways plus you are diversifying your risk in a sense that your ETF will be made up of 10-20 companies.

For instance, I moved some money into XAR which is a space/defense ETF. So it lets me have a piece of Boeing, Lockheed etc at a cheaper cost (then buying into the stocks directly) plus I enjoy reading on advanced military weapons and planes.

So maybe find an industry or area of interest for you and your kid and research there to start. Otherwise there are more general ETFs that are long term plays that are bigger and follow the general economy.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#1928 » by hege53190 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 11:34 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:I’m trying to get stock for my 4 year old but i am literally lost in this world. I have no idea how risky to go or what to choose.

Buy Voo or SWPPX. They are index funds that mirror the S&P 500. That is the top 500 american companies. S&P are constantly swapping companies in and out of this. This has gotten a 10-12% return on investment pretty consistently over the last 80 years. When he gets his first job and gets a w-2 at 16 or whatever roll it over to a Roth IRA

My dad taught me the rule of 72. Whatever your return is you divide 72 by it and that is how long it takes your money to double.

So if you have a 12% return divide 72 by it and it would take 6 years for your money to double. So say you have $5,000. Your kid is 4. In 6 years you will have $10,000. In 12 years you will have $20,000. At 18 he should have about $25,000 assuming a 12% return. 10% is more realistic.

If you are a hands off investor, investing in low maintenance fee mutual funds is the way to go.

Investing in individual stocks gives you a better chance at a better return but it also opens you up to losing money or not gaining nearly as much. Plus you want to do more research and stay on top of it more.

I hope this info helps.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1929 » by M-C-G » Thu Dec 3, 2020 11:46 pm

hege53190 wrote:

Buy Voo or SWPPX. They are index funds that mirror the S&P 500. That is the top 500 american companies. S&P are constantly swapping companies in and out of this. This has gotten a 10-12% return on investment pretty consistently over the last 80 years. When he gets his first job and gets a w-2 at 16 or whatever roll it over to a Roth IRA

My dad taught me the rule of 72. Whatever your return is you divide 72 by it and that is how long it takes your money to double.

So if you have a 12% return divide 72 by it and it would take 6 years for your money to double. So say you have $5,000. Your kid is 4. In 6 years you will have $10,000. In 12 years you will have $20,000. At 18 he should have about $25,000 assuming a 12% return. 10% is more realistic.

If you are a hands off investor, investing in low maintenance fee mutual funds is the way to go.

Investing in individual stocks gives you a better chance at a better return but it also opens you up to losing money or not gaining nearly as much. Plus you want to do more research and stay on top of it more.

I hope this info helps.

I am asking this as a question, but feel like I recall the S&P being 90% driven by the FAANG stocks. With all the discussion going on about repealing or modifying Section 230 (my basic understanding is this was an exception granted to FB and Twitter to operate as a 'publishers' without legal liability).

If that happens, that could open up a huge legal mess and who knows what that does to the stock price. Just want to raise a caution flag is all. I sold FB when they got busted giving all that data to Cambridge and it hurt their stock for like two minutes, so who the hell knows.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#1930 » by hege53190 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 11:58 pm

M-C-G wrote:
hege53190 wrote:

I hope this info helps.

I am asking this as a question, but feel like I recall the S&P being 90% driven by the FAANG stocks. With all the discussion going on about repealing or modifying Section 230 (my basic understanding is this was an exception granted to FB and Twitter to operate as a 'publishers' without legal liability).

If that happens, that could open up a huge legal mess and who knows what that does to the stock price. Just want to raise a caution flag is all. I sold FB when they got busted giving all that data to Cambridge and it hurt their stock for like two minutes, so who the hell knows.

That is when I bought into FB.

Two quotes I love are Caddy shack

Rodney Dangerfield. Sell, Sell, Sell.

repeats what he is hearing on the phone. "Everyone is selling?"

Then Buy, Buy Buy

The other quote is When there is Blood on the streets. Buy Property.

Now you have to research the stock and make sure that the bad news is just temporary but I like investing in companies that are money makers with a negative reputation.

I am definitely not an expert investor but what I do works for me. Investing in the S&P marks me as a basic investor because I don't really trust myself to beat a 10% return consistently with as many stocks as I would like to be able to diversify properly over an extended period of time. Something always drives the S&P500; Oil, Telecomunications, Stores, Tech. But they are the top 500 companies. When one or a dozen fail the other picks up the aggregate. It has been a pretty safe bet year after year for 8+ decades. Sure there are some down years but within a year usually it is back up to higher than it was.
MiCo7
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#1931 » by MiCo7 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 11:06 pm

What cryptocurrencies are ppl in? I've dabbled a bit. I'm very well aware of the top ones but curious if anyone has some sleepers out there?

I trade on both Bittrex and Coinbase.

Right now my main low cap holds are LBC and Nexus. Curious if anyone has heard of them.

Sent from my SM-T510 using RealGM mobile app
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1932 » by M-C-G » Wed Dec 9, 2020 11:53 pm

MiCo7 wrote:What cryptocurrencies are ppl in? I've dabbled a bit. I'm very well aware of the top ones but curious if anyone has some sleepers out there?

Right now my main low cap holds are LBC and Nexus. Curious if anyone has heard of them.

I'm upside down in XRP, but the good news is that it will only have to go up 200% or so for me to break even. Good news is that it is a pretty small investment, the bad news is it got a lot smaller after I made it.
MiCo7
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#1933 » by MiCo7 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:19 am

I'm down as well and have done a fair amount of dollar cost averaging. I'm mostly in alt coins right now as well. I'm just hoping regulations of some sort don't mess this up.
M-C-G wrote:
MiCo7 wrote:What cryptocurrencies are ppl in? I've dabbled a bit. I'm very well aware of the top ones but curious if anyone has some sleepers out there?

I'm upside down in XRP, but the good news is that it will only have to go up 200% or so for me to break even. Good news is that it is a pretty small investment, the bad news is it got a lot smaller after I made it.

jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#1934 » by jmart762 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:55 pm

Where's Bizarro?? I haven't been hanging around here much the past year, just a weird year with COVID and whatnot. I basically spent most of my time that I would have reading about and following the Bucks reading about Ethereum. That ecosystem is something else, and gonna be fun to watch unfold over the next 1-1.5 years (let alone 10+). Lots of potential across the board, but I like Maker, SNX, and AAVE the most.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,398

Post#1935 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Nice to see a little spike in XRP last month but it has a ways to go for me to break even let alone make a profit.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#1936 » by jmart762 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:13 pm

I remember first reading about XRP on this board back in 2017/2018 and being hyped. I couldn't get my KYC processed though at a couple of exchanges so I never ended up doing it.

Now that time has passed and I came back to crypto this year, everyone hates it. Is it just because of how it failed the hype and everyone is salty or is it truly not worthy, fundamentally?
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,771

Post#1937 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Hope everyone got in on AirBnB at the open. It's more than doubled.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#1938 » by drew881 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:38 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Hope everyone got in on AirBnB at the open. It's more than doubled.

We’ve been hosts for 3 years. Bought 60 shares at 68 dollars. Wish I had bought up to the 13k limit now.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,949

Post#1939 » by Stannis » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:48 pm

drew881 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:Hope everyone got in on AirBnB at the open. It's more than doubled.

We’ve been hosts for 3 years. Bought 60 shares at 68 dollars. Wish I had bought up to the 13k limit now.

How were you able to get in at 68 dollars?
Free Palestine
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 674

Post#1940 » by thonnisbeastley » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:53 pm

ChainLink all day.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks