ImageImageImage

Official Miami Heat Off-Season GT - Saving you from IggieCC

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Re: Official Miami Heat Off-Season GT - Saving you from IggieCC 

Post#1981 » by HeatIn5 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:00 pm

CONGRATS BAM!!!!!
Read on Twitter
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,563

Post#1982 » by greg4012 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Definitely thrilled for Bam

I know he will take it upon himself to continue to live up to his ability

I'm very intrigued as to what's next
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1983 » by greg4012 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:10 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
insfo wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh well, I guess folks at Milwaukee, LA & Toronto are rejoicing at this news

The team would only have to clear 13 million to sign Giannis (or any other max FA). Iguodala will be an expiring, his contract + a pick should get it done.

Actually disregard that, Barry broke it down here
https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article242186851.html?__twitter_impression=true

Reading Barry Jackson's article above (see excerpts below), I can only imagine this Bam extension means that the Heat are fully committed to making a big trade within the next year and are largely abandoning the 2021 free agency plan.

▪ Scenario 1 of extending Adebayo this offseason: Let’s say the 2021-22 cap is the lowest possible ($112.4 million), the figure projected by ESPN.

In that scenario, Adebayo’s first-year max would be $28.1 million and Antetokounmpo’s would be $33.7 million. Those two players — combined with Jimmy Butler’s $36 million salary, a $5.2 million waive-and-stretch hit for Ryan Anderson and cap holds for nine empty roster spots would leave no room for any other current Heat player.

Miami’s other cap commitments for 2021-22: Tyler Herro at $4 million, Kendrick Nunn (either $2.2 million or more likely $4.7 million cap hit), Duncan Robinson ($4.7 million cap hit), the Heat’s 2020 first-round pick if Miami doesn’t trade the pick (around $3 million) and KZ Okpala ($1.8 million guaranteed). Miami also has 2021-22 team options on Andre Iguodala ($15 million) and Chris Silva ($1.8 million).

That means Herro, Nunn, Robinson, Okpala and the player selected 20th overall would need to be traded only for draft picks to sign Antetokounmpo — using cap space — in that scenario if Adebayo gets his extension in the next five weeks. And the team obviously would need to decline the Iguodala and Silva options.

So we'd be sacrificing Herro, Nunn, Robinson, Okpala and Precious to bring in a max in free agency. Not great.

Scenario 2: if the 2021-22 cap is $120 million (the highest possible), Adebayo’s first-year max would be $30 million and Antetokounmpo’s would be $36 million, giving Miami room for both of them at the max, Butler, and Herro, but nobody else from the current team. That would be the best case “scenario one” possibility if Miami relents and gives Adebayo the extension in the next five weeks.

It's a really strange sequence of events to not commit any offseason moves to anything that will compromise 2021 free agent flexibility then proceed to blow up that flexibility with Bam's extension. SO, it has to mean that the plan is to make a trade this season.

Let's see what happens next.

If anyone has any insight on the above analysis produced by Barry Jackson, I'm very open to hearing more.
The Bunk
Senior
And1: 1,200

Post#1984 » by The Bunk » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:11 pm

What the **** are we doing.

Did we just limit ourselves for flexibility only to kill that flexibility? Very confusing.

Must be going after Beal.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1985 » by greg4012 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:13 pm

▪ Scenario 2 of extending Adebayo this offseason: This is more plausible than Scenario 1.

This scenario involves acquiring Antetokounmpo or another 2021 free agent option — Victor Oladipo, Holiday, perhaps restricted free agents De’Aaron Fox or (long shot) Donovan Mitchell — through a sign-and-trade. (The same would apply in a trade for Washington’s Bradley Beal.)

So how could the Heat make salaries match up — to satisfy NBA cap rules — in that scenario?

Simple: First Miami should attach a 2021-22 team option to either Goran Dragic’s or Jae Crowder’s free agent deals that the Heat will try to strike quickly when free agency starts on Nov. 20.

Say Dragic signs a two-year, $40 million deal with a team option on the second year. (I expect Dragic to come to terms fairly quickly with Miami.)

Next summer, the Heat then could exercise the hypothetical Dragic or Crowder team options and Iguodala’s $15 million team option for 2021-2022 and send those two players, and perhaps Herro or Robinson (Miami assuredly would fight to keep Herro) to the Bucks in a hypothetical sign-and-trade for Antetokounmpo if he informs Milwaukee that he wants to sign with Miami. Or the Heat could craft a similar deal for another 2021 free agent.

There is one dicey issue with this scenario: Miami likely would need to make decisions on the Iguodala and hypothetical Dragic/Crowder options before 2021 free agency starts. So it would need intel on whether a top free agent wants to come here before free agency starts, and a sense of the other team’s willingness to facilitate a sign-and-trade. That’s not ideal but a risk Miami likely would need to take.

So we're fully depending on an in-season trade or sign and trade with our team option deals next off-season. Giving away some control in those scenarios as we need the other side to accept the expirings that may or may not appeal to them and likely will need draft picks.

Tough
Kobewade11
Head Coach
And1: 15,588

Post#1986 » by Kobewade11 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:14 pm

My best guess is they have a plan in place and they will execute it. We do not know more than the guys in that room.
insfo
General Manager
And1: 10,874

Post#1987 » by insfo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm

greg4012 wrote:
It's a really strange sequence of events to not commit any offseason moves to anything that will compromise 2021 free agent flexibility then proceed to blow up that flexibility with Bam's extension. SO, it has to mean that the plan is to make a trade this season.

Let's see what happens next.

Or some of these other max deals, folks getting in Bam's ear etc caused a change of heart. Another reason could be that Giannis is going to sign his extension, and Bam's agent conveyed that to Riley. Either way, I totally agree, that we went into the offseason wanting to preserve 2021 cap space and in less than a week we've reversed course which seems odd, to say the least.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1988 » by greg4012 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:My best guess is they have a plan in place and they will execute it. We do not know more than the guys in that room.

SHould we not discuss?
Kobewade11
Head Coach
And1: 15,588

Post#1989 » by Kobewade11 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:20 pm

greg4012 wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:My best guess is they have a plan in place and they will execute it. We do not know more than the guys in that room.

SHould we not discuss?

I dont know where in my post I implied nobody should discuss. In fact thats what im doing, offering my opinion on where things stand
twozeroMM
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,698

Post#1990 » by twozeroMM » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:22 pm

This front office has gotten players without cap before, lets not start to question what they're doing. If we've learned anything in the last few years, it's if a player wants to be somewhere, they'll find a way. Also take care of your own before anyone else!
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#1991 » by IggieCC » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:25 pm

continue discussion here. congrats BAM

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2022786
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,000

Post#1992 » by TroubleS0me » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:15 pm

we went from Crowder to Harkless ...downgrade
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#1993 » by HeatFanLifer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:29 am

Celtics got rid of Hayward like he was Chalm Down to the team.

Bet he is wishing he wore a Heat uniform. Maybe we get him off waivers in March?
OP for NBA FT record
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#1994 » by HeatFanLifer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:31 am

TroubleS0me wrote:we went from Crowder to Harkless ...downgrade

Yes.

There is a but though.

But, Pat Riley is dreaming of 2021 offseason. I think he knows this core needs another superstar talent and that talent is not going to be acquired through a late teens or 20’s draft pick.

Sucks to see another Yimmy year go to waste. Hoping for the best in 2021 offseason.
OP for NBA FT record

Return to Miami Heat