Post#21 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:59 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Yoeli Childs 

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:17 pm

You know what Caleb says after he posterizes someone as he flexes: "You've been Homeschooled!"

And um... Yoeli aint no Latter day Millsap. Get it, cuz he's from BYU... Latter-day Saints? No? Ok - sorry.

2 worthy players to develop in the G League. I'm happy to have them aboard. It'd be interesting to watch Yoeli practicing against Rui - somewhat similar physically. Would either be able to defend the other?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Yoeli Childs 

Post#23 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:33 am

I like him -- thoughts?

Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:14 am

He's definitely more than the 225 lbs he's listed at. Dude is a moose on the loose. Power player who made 22 of 45 3's in 19 games last season. Obviously, NBA teams think he's short to play inside - otherwise they'da picked him, but maybe he should be playing outside more if he can shoot like that. Take more 3's! Then bulldoze inside. Anyone remember Corliss Williamson? Yoeli reminds me of him, except with a 3 point shot.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#25 » by DCZards » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:04 am

Ruzious wrote:He's definitely more than the 225 lbs he's listed at. Dude is a moose on the loose. Power player who made 22 of 45 3's in 19 games last season. Obviously, NBA teams think he's short to play inside - otherwise they'da picked him, but maybe he should be playing outside more if he can shoot like that. Take more 3's! Then bulldoze inside. Anyone remember Corliss Williamson? Yoeli reminds me of him, except with a 3 point shot.

Definitely remember Corliss Williamson. Won a national championship on the Arkansas team coached by Nolan Richardson.

I also remember that when Williamson played for Sacramento his teammates singled him out as their leader--high praise for a player who wasn't a star or even a starter.

He's been an assistant coach in the NBA lately.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#26 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:15 am

Weird. He looks kind of slow and plodding in games, but then I look at his combine numbers and they're pretty impressive! He had a 10.87 agility score and anything under 11 for a big man is very good. His 3/4 sprint was faster than all the big men in the combine. And his standing vertical leap was a remarkable 34" - 5th highest in the combine and better than nearly every guard and wing.

I think he must have lost a bunch of weight and gotten in shape in preparation for the combine. He weighed just 223 at the combine in October, and the guy I saw in those videos was at least 240.

He is 6-7 (in shoes) with a 6-11.5 wingspan. That's a respectable wingspan, but not freakishly long enough to make up for his diminutive height. Looking at the last 20 years, there aren't very many success stories of burly guys sub 6-8 with a less than 7-0 wingspan. The best case scenario physical comps are Eric Pashall, Tobias Harris, Trevor Booker, Kenneth Faried, and Jae Crowder.

Although, it's possible that he no longer really physically resembles the guy we saw in college last year. Going by the weight and the agility score, he might look and move like Stanley Johnson, Luol Deng or Harrison Barnes.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#27 » by DCZards » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:49 am

nate33 wrote:Weird. He looks kind of slow and plodding in games, but then I look at his combine numbers and they're pretty impressive! He had a 10.87 agility score and anything under 11 for a big man is very good. His 3/4 sprint was faster than all the big men in the combine. And his standing vertical leap was a remarkable 34". 5th highest in the combine and better than nearly every guard and wing.

I think he must have lost a bunch of weight and gotten in shape in preparation for the combine. He weighed just 223 at the combine in October, and the guy I saw in those videos was at least 240.

He is 6-7 (in shoes) with a 6-11.5 wingspan. That's a respectable wingspan, but not freakishly long enough to make up for his diminutive height. Looking at the last 20 years, there aren't very many success stories of burly guys sub 6-8 with a less than 7-0 wingspan. The best case scenario physical comps are Eric Pashall, Tobias Harris, Trevor Booker, Kenneth Faried, and Jae Crowder.

Although, it's possible that he no longer really physically resembles the guy we saw in college last year. Going by the weight and the agility score, he might look and move like Stanley Johnson, Luol Deng or Harrison Barnes.

You're probably right that Childs was smaller than he appears in these game videos when he put up those speed and agility numbers at the combine. But I don't think he has the body type to ever look like a Johnson, Deng or Barnes. He more likely looks like a young Paul Milsap, a player Childs says he models his game after.

He has a very nice low post game...with a nice set of moves and a soft touch. At 6-6, he probably won't be able to score over most NBA PFs in the paint, but he could be a matchup nightmare for some PFs...and the SFs he might be matched up against from time to time.

Childs entered the NBA draft last year but dropped out. He was told that he needed to work on his 3 ball. Yoeli improved his 3 pt % from .323% during the 2018-19 season to .489% last season. It shows that he's willing to put in the work to improve his game.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:55 am

nate33 wrote:Weird. He looks kind of slow and plodding in games, but then I look at his combine numbers and they're pretty impressive! He had a 10.87 agility score and anything under 11 for a big man is very good. His 3/4 sprint was faster than all the big men in the combine. And his standing vertical leap was a remarkable 34". 5th highest in the combine and better than nearly every guard and wing.

It is hard to believe the guy in the video is now 223 and scored so high in speed and agility drills. It'll be interesting to see if he can play defense now and become more like a Tyler Bey. And he might have more agility in getting off his 3 point shot. Glad we got him for one of the 2 way contracts.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#29 » by pcbothwel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:13 pm

If you look at his standing reach of 8'10 thats quite impressive for his height and wingspan... he must have high shoulders/no neck.
His standing reach is equal to higher than Draymond Green, Tillman, Reggie Perry, Tillie, Grant Williams, John Collins, Criss, Julius Randle, Dwight Powell, etc...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#30 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:34 pm

pcbothwel wrote:If you look at his standing reach of 8'10 thats quite impressive for his height and wingspan... he must have high shoulders/no neck. His standing reach is equal to higher than Draymond Green, Tillman, Reggie Perry, Tillie, Grant Williams, John Collins, Criss, Julius Randle, Dwight Powell, etc...

I take standing reach with a grain of salt these days. Too many guys tank the measurement to make their vertical leap look better. It's very much possible that some of the guys you just mentioned have a better standing reach (and worse vertical leap) than what they measured at the combine. That said, you're observation of Childs' standing reach suggests that he didn't tank the standing reach, which means his vertical leap is legit.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#31 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:02 am

Look at https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/yoeli-childs-1.html, & you'll see that he faced the toughest schedule his senior year. Yet, he also put up his best numbers his senior year.

I can't say for sure he'll make it as an NBA player, but I can say this: I've pretty rarely seen a player put up the numbers Childs did as a senior, with this strength of schedule, & fail to make it in the NBA.

Yet, those outstanding overall Senior numbers are held down a bit by his terrible FT% -- .538% -- the worst in his college career. Yet, the previous year his FT% was .709; i.e. you ought to expect him to improve his FT shooting.

To get a sense of what I mean by his outstanding numbers, compare them to Rui's at https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rui-hachimura-1.html -- per 40 minutes, overall, Childs production is significantly better than Rui's.

Now, I'm not suggesting Childs should have gone #9 in the draft! Or even in the lottery. & Rui was a year younger than Childs his last season at Gonzaga. Yet, it's still enlightening to make the comparison.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#32 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:16 am

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:If you look at his standing reach of 8'10 thats quite impressive for his height and wingspan... he must have high shoulders/no neck. His standing reach is equal to higher than Draymond Green, Tillman, Reggie Perry, Tillie, Grant Williams, John Collins, Criss, Julius Randle, Dwight Powell, etc...

I take standing reach with a grain of salt these days. Too many guys tank the measurement to make their vertical leap look better. It's very much possible that some of the guys you just mentioned have a better standing reach (and worse vertical leap) than what they measured at the combine. That said, you're observation of Childs' standing reach suggests that he didn't tank the standing reach, which means his vertical leap is legit.

Azubuike posted a 9',1.00" standing reach at this year's Combine. Thing is, he also came to the Combine two years ago, when he was measured with a 9',4.50" standing reach.

Between those two combines, btw, he lost 14 pounds. Yet, his % body fat went up from 7.95% to 9.61%.

Reminds me of how I used to grade papers back when I was a college professor.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#33 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 9:24 pm

We got our first glimpse of Childs in training camp. He is #22:

Like we discussed earlier, he looks MUCH more slim and fit than he did in college. He has the physique of modern power forward, or even a combo forward. He no longer looks like an undersized center.
TheBlackCzar
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#34 » by TheBlackCzar » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:25 am

He kinda reminds me of Bison Dele build wise....
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#35 » by verbal8 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:38 am

Seems like an interesting prospect. The kind of player that EG kept ignoring/overlooking.
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#36 » by ruffian253 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:02 pm

As a big Zags fan, I've watched a lot Yoeli over the years and everytime, he has been the type of player they would have to game plan on, especially this past year. In previous years, he was a little pudgy but he really slimmed down last year and became a very good player in college. Probably Should've been drafted as he is a proven player, but for some reason, nba draft is all about freshma/1AD players over proven college players. Like the comparisons to Millsap, corliss, and the Harrell typel players strong undersized bruiser type big man, but with a shot.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#37 » by NatP4 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:05 pm

ruffian253 wrote:As a big Zags fan, I've watched a lot Yoeli over the years and everytime, he has been the type of player they would have to game plan on, especially this past year. In previous years, he was a little pudgy but he really slimmed down last year and became a very good player in college. Probably Should've been drafted as he is a proven player, but for some reason, nba draft is all about freshma/1AD players over proven college players. Like the comparisons to Millsap, corliss, and the Harrell typel players strong undersized bruiser type big man, but with a shot.

Is he a good defender though?
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#38 » by ruffian253 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:00 pm

Yeah, good rebounder, decent length, knew how to use his body on defense. BYU was always a tough match up offensively for the zags primarily because of yoeli. Probably a better roster fit than admiral and more under control than Wagner on defense.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:56 pm

ruffian253 wrote:Yeah, good rebounder, decent length, knew how to use his body on defense. BYU was always a tough match up offensively for the zags primarily because of yoeli. Probably a better roster fit than admiral and more under control than Wagner on defense.

Guessing it'll be an adjustment for him to play primarily on the perimeter - particularly on defense. He'll likely have to get his PT in the G League - assuming there is a G League this season - sounds like there will be but only for a month or so.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#40 » by payitforward » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:39 pm

I'm ticked off that the Wizards waived Yoeli Childs.

How about you? Was this the right move? Or... who cares? Or... what?

Return to Washington Wizards