ImageImage

Deepest team in the East

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Re: Deepest team in the East 

Post#41 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 am

For all of the joy in Mudville, we have Capela, Collins, Fernando and Okongwu down low, then also the anticipation that a wing player will move to get most of his minutes there, Gallo.

Not real comfortable with that. Need one more.

Goodwin's contract becomes guaranteed on 11/29 according to reports.
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#42 » by vtime » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:24 am

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:For all of the joy in Mudville, we have Capela, Collins, Fernando and Okongwu down low, then also the anticipation that a wing player will move to get most of his minutes there, Gallo.

Not real comfortable with that. Need one more.

Goodwin's contract becomes guaranteed on 11/29 according to reports.

What?
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#43 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:33 am

Not understanding the question.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#44 » by Spud2nique » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:10 am

We have Rondo and Dunn on the same roster here. Didn’t think about this in depth but Dunn is going to benefit a ton from Rajon.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,917

Post#45 » by ChettheJet » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:24 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:Fwiw... one fan's stab at how the MPG stats will look at the end of the season...

Imo, only Trae and Collins will get big minutes in virtually every game.

Others will get big minutes in most games, but will get some relatively frequent "load-management" days, too.

Incidentally, also...

- Labissiere is key to going over the cap so that Schlenk can avail himself of the MLE if necessary... as I understand it, we can resign him for up to 120% of his previous salary.

- Skylar is going to end up as a 2-way

- Goodwin's going to end up released (deadline 11/29)

Anyone going to be unhappy bout thier minutes in this senario? Dunn, Heurt, Okongwu?

Bulls fan here trying to get a look at your roster.

First Dunn is a great defender no doubt, average passer, good going to the basket, poor 3pt shooter, often reluctant jump shooter.

I think the Hawks managed to get too many players for the 48 minutes in a game. As to happy/unhappy, the guys who just signed the big contracts or got drafted this year are unconcerned with minutes being 34 or 24 because they're getting paid. It's the younger guys, Huerter, Hunter, Collins, Reddish, Labisserie who are coming to decision years on their rookie contracts who don't see 16 minutes helping them get a big second contract with ATL or anybody else and they run the risk of being seen as role players who don't get big offers. They only need to look at Tony Snell, a Bulls FRP who is hanging on now.

When they got Dunn and Rondo my first thought was they would come off the bench and play some with Young being freed up to be the SG at times. But signing Bogdan seems to nix that otherwise when does Huerter ever get off the bench? The same goes at both forward spots. If Hunter and Reddish split time neither will be happy and Snell sits. Why pay Gallanari so much to have him come off the bench behind Collins, if they split the time it's almost the same but the less Collins plays the less he sees his next contract being.

If they don''t decide to trade some of the younger guys I think they risk a mutiny from them seeing their futures being stunted
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#46 » by vtime » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:34 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:Not understanding the question.

I do not understand why you don’t think there is enough frontcourt depth.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#47 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:10 pm

ChettheJet wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:
_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:Fwiw... one fan's stab at how the MPG stats will look at the end of the season...

Others will get big minutes in most games, but will get some relatively frequent "load-management" days, too.

Incidentally, also...

- Labissiere is key to going over the cap so that Schlenk can avail himself of the MLE if necessary... as I understand it, we can resign him for up to 120% of his previous salary.

Anyone going to be unhappy bout thier minutes in this senario? Dunn, Heurt, Okongwu?

First Dunn is a great defender no doubt, average passer, good going to the basket, poor 3pt shooter, often reluctant jump shooter.

I think the Hawks managed to get too many players for the 48 minutes in a game. As to happy/unhappy, the guys who just signed the big contracts or got drafted this year are unconcerned with minutes being 34 or 24 because they're getting paid. It's the younger guys, Huerter, Hunter, Collins, Reddish, Labisserie who are coming to decision years on their rookie contracts who don't see 16 minutes helping them get a big second contract with ATL or anybody else and they run the risk of being seen as role players who don't get big offers. They only need to look at Tony Snell, a Bulls FRP who is hanging on now.

When they got Dunn and Rondo my first thought was they would come off the bench and play some with Young being freed up to be the SG at times. But signing Bogdan seems to nix that otherwise when does Huerter ever get off the bench? The same goes at both forward spots. If Hunter and Reddish split time neither will be happy and Snell sits. Why pay Gallanari so much to have him come off the bench behind Collins, if they split the time it's almost the same but the less Collins plays the less he sees his next contract being.

If they don''t decide to trade some of the younger guys I think they risk a mutiny from them seeing their futures being stunted

See above chart. Hawks are running a lot of depth but some guys aren't going to play much barring injury. Snell, Hill, Fernando, Goodwin might not see the floor. Rondo won't get much during the regular season. Heurter will likely be on the short end, but should still be able to play 20 mins average. It will be alright. If we realy have too much talent, Schlenk could move a guy like Snell for a future pick at deadline.

Hawks are trying to win and develop their young guys. Gallo already accepted a bench role in discussion with Schlenk

It's going to be fine
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#48 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:38 pm

ChettheJet wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:

Incidentally, also...

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#49 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:45 pm

vtime wrote:

Um. Dunno where the mystery is, but I'll try again.

You have this many bigs...

1) Capela
2) Collins
3) Okongwu
4) Fernando

You have a wing, Gallo, who most believe will get the majority of his minutes at PF, so that's 5.

Ordinarily, any given roster of 15 players will consist of 3 at each of the 5 positions... right, so... we have 4 PGs right now... and we have 4 pure post players plus a fifth who we think will fit there... there should be six, though.

I get it that Hunter can play PF. But when you've got 4 PGs, why would you do that? Teams rarely need a 3rd PG, let alone a 4th one.

If Capela's foot becomes a problem after all, or if Okongwu's foot becomes a problem after all, or if Collins... I won't even say it, lest I tempt the basketball gods... in other words, you're seriously without size down low if even one of your bigs isn't available. Doesn't make sense. Get another big.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#50 » by Spud2nique » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Expected this but if we announcing starters then announce Cam. I dunno. :P

Read on Twitter
?s=20
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#51 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Kirschner of Athletic wrote today:
There is such a thing as a team being too deep, and the Hawks might be in that category.

Nonsense.

There is such a thing as a head coach having to be extra intelligent about how he distributes minutes.

But there is never such a thing as being too deep. Never. And certainly not in a pandemic year.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#52 » by Spud2nique » Thu Dec 3, 2020 7:54 am

So according to ESPN this is our depth chart. My question is how much is the starting unit better than the 2nd unit if at all? We may have the closest starters to non starters debate of any team out there.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/atl

https://www.rotoworld.com/basketball/nba/teams/atl/atlanta-hawks/depth-chart

Few of them have Huerter starting at the 2 with Bogi at the 3 and some have Bogi at the 2 with Cam at the 3. It’s so versatile it could be any but which combo do you think would work best in the floor together?
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#53 » by graymule » Thu Dec 3, 2020 1:10 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:
vtime wrote:

Um. Dunno where the mystery is, but I'll try again.

You have this many bigs...

1) Capela
2) Collins
3) Okongwu
4) Fernando

You have a wing, Gallo, who most believe will get the majority of his minutes at PF, so that's 5.

Ordinarily, any given roster of 15 players will consist of 3 at each of the 5 positions... right, so... we have 4 PGs right now... and we have 4 pure post players plus a fifth who we think will fit there... there should be six, though.

I get it that Hunter can play PF. But when you've got 4 PGs, why would you do that? Teams rarely need a 3rd PG, let alone a 4th one.

If Capela's foot becomes a problem after all, or if Okongwu's foot becomes a problem after all, or if Collins... I won't even say it, lest I tempt the basketball gods... in other words, you're seriously without size down low if even one of your bigs isn't available. Doesn't make sense. Get another big.

:D STURT: Don't forget, we do have another big. He is on a 2 way contract, meaning, in emergency, he's ready.
Nathan Knight - - 20 years old - - 6'10" - - 245lbs.

Undrafted and stolen by Travis! He and our 2nd round pick on 2 way contracts.

8-)
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#54 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:39 pm

Point well-taken, gray.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:23 am

Deepest team indeed:

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#56 » by Spud2nique » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Deepest team indeed:

Read on Twitter

Hey, I don’t make threads just to make threads. I know what I’m talking about. :wink:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:33 am

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#58 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:56 am

Depth is great. Talented depth is better
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#59 » by graymule » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:25 pm

:D

I love a "I told you so" when it works out. Didn't I say, Hawks have another big man!
Nathan Knight sure came in handy in the second game of the season. He just can't
be this good, can he? He looked mighty good...

:nod:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#60 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks