ImageImageImage

Rank the Free Agent Signings

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,700

Re: Rank the Free Agent Signings 

Post#21 » by minimus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:22 am

Dewey wrote:Seems we are lurking to get involved in bigger Harden/Wall type deals... hopefully we can swap spit to balance out roster some.

Source? Would be great to steal Tucker from HOU!
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#22 » by breatnach » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Dewey wrote:Seems we are lurking to get involved in bigger Harden/Wall type deals... hopefully we can swap spit to balance out roster some.

I'm not really sure how we would go about doing that. We don't have any cap space to absorb any bad deals, nor do we have any picks (including our own) next year.

I think the big trade ship sailed when we drafted #1 and traded away JJ.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Post#23 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:27 pm

shrink wrote:
andyhop wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
He averaged over 20 ppg on good efficiency, I think your reaction is pretty dismissive.

So you don't believe that there are any other parts that make up the game of basketball?

Of course there isn’t. Don’t harsh their buzz, here at FanGM.com! He’s wearing a TImberwolves jersey!

Wtf is this???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
minimus
RealGM

Post#24 » by minimus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter

72mil/4yrs for 27yo who cant defend and is not starter in NBA?!
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#25 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:23 am

Worm Guts wrote:He averaged over 20 ppg on good efficiency, I think your reaction is pretty dismissive.

_AIJ_ wrote:
shrink wrote:
andyhop wrote:
So you don't believe that there are any other parts that make up the game of basketball?

Of course there isn’t. Don’t harsh their buzz, here at FanGM.com! He’s wearing a TImberwolves jersey!

Wtf is this???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haters be hating. More of their same.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#26 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:45 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe in need of his 3pt shooting. Attempted just over 7/g last season and kept it above 37% anyway, that's respectable. I think some teams are sick of getting completely out shot every game. But it's just another contract making the Beasley deal look like a steal.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#27 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:27 am

Wayne Ellington $2.6 one yr
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#28 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:33 am

andyhop wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
andyhop wrote:
Sure but you don't play at a high level for a team by being a net negative on the court like Beasley was in his 14 games for the Wolves. If someone wants to spruik how well he shot then that's fine but that isn't playing at a high level

I’m not sure what metric you’re using, but his rpm was a positive.

Raptor.BPM,PIPM all negative and a negative BPM for the time he was with the Wolves as well as overall for the season.

The team was better without him on the court than with him on it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy:
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#29 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:34 am

shrink wrote:Seriously though, I agree - it is unlikely, but not impossible, for Beasley to improve and be worth that contract. However, we should not be paying him like that’s the player he is.

I listed six reasons why Beasley has less leverage when you determine the contract he should have received. To illustrate, Joe Harris is another three point shooting player, who had leverage. The Nets couldn’t afford to lose him with their immediate championship goals, and couldn’t replace him if he left. Those are the teams that should be overpaying.

I looked briefly to find the specs on the other deals. Beasley’s team option improves his deal, and I think it is very likely others have this, specifically Goren Dragic. In his situation, MIA has a lot of unnecessary cap space this season, but their real target is Giannis next year. That’s a franchise maker. In their situation, overpaying Dragic for this year alone to keep him is worthwhile to outbid longer term offers, if Dragic’s second year is unguaranteed, and keeps MIA in 2021 cap space.

My point here is that each free agent contract needs to be evaluated based on the player, the team, and the short and longterm affects of that individual team. In our situation, I think we overpaid, especially with minutes being used on guards like Russell, Rubio, Edwards, and our last two 1sts also spent on guards, plus his continually bad defense over his career so far. He has not been a positive player yet - and focusing solely on his three point shooting isn’t a fair representation of who he really is. I have my fingers crossed that his production reaches his new contract level - in the meantime, it’s a negative trade asset.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy: Shrink makes one good point near end of this diatribe of hating that can/does make sense. Still having the guards from the previous two FRPs and no sign yet of moving them, then drafting one #1 overal this year, then adding Rubio, and then also telling people you are going to at times run Rubio with Dlo so Dlo can play some 2 offball, all kind of looks/sounds like it might at times eat into the minutes for Beasley. This isn't a great thing because although still efficient just short of starters minutes, he is significantly more efficient and productive as a starter or over 30 minutes.

Not that he really cares about any of that, he just wants to hate on him specifically. But now that he and Andybop can see all the FA contracts are much higher it's time to find more reasons to hate the signing. Maybe, just maybe Shrink, you should be more disgusted with the team's choice to draft yet another guard and sign yet another FA guard, and holding onto Culver/Okogie both. Maybe that's the actual mistakes that have the propensity to mess with what is currently the best shooting guard on the team and the best they've had like forever. This is something I warned about all summer long.

Maybe they are just covering their backs in case he misses some time. But at some point they will need to find trade partners for guards yet unless they are certain they can use three of them as forward wings.
minimus
RealGM

Post#30 » by minimus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:46 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe in need of his 3pt shooting. Attempted just over 7/g last season and kept it above 37% anyway, that's respectable. I think some teams are sick of getting completely out shot every game. But it's just another contract making the Beasley deal look like a steal.

I understand that ATL have no max contract, they, kind of can afford an overpay, just like CHA did with Hayward. They also have glut of wings, just like MIN. Rondo, Trae, Dunn, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, Bogdanovic. They also have two defensive-minded bigs who cant shoot Capella and OO.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#31 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:51 am

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I understand that ATL have no max contract, they, kind of can afford an overpay, kust like CHA with Hayward. They also have glut of wings, just like MIN. Rondo, Trae, Dunn, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, Bogdanovic. They also have two defensive-minded bigs who cant shoot Capella and OO.
That is interesting, especially with Trae who loves to shoot it. Another team stockpiling.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#32 » by Dual » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:52 am

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I understand that ATL have no max contract, they, kind of can afford an overpay, kust like CHA with Hayward. They also have glut of wings, just like MIN. Rondo, Trae, Dunn, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, Bogdanovic. They also have two defensive-minded bigs who cant shoot Capella and OO.

Atlanta will make some noise. Playoffs for sure, love the Bogdanovic signing.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,179

Post#33 » by Neeva » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:00 am

I dont find atlanta’s free agent signings impressive at all. Bogdonavich is overated and now overpaid.will atlanta even have enough to pay Collins?
Good for Bogdan but wish that happened to wiggins and wolves never matched.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,392

Post#34 » by shrink » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:13 pm

I think Schlenk probably looks at the Hawks situation as,

“We have cap space this year, when none of the free agent destination cities can make offers. If we roll it over a year when the free agents are better, we need to compete with the destination cities, and we will lose. Also, after a disappointing season, I am also under pressure from the owner to make the playoffs, or my job is in jeopardy. I need to turn this cap space into “somebody” who is more win-now.”

I don’t think Bogdon is the perfect fit in SAC, but I also admit I don’t see a player who is.

(I also wouldn’t be surprised if Schlenk got a little nudge from the nba head office, encouraging a signing that would foul up the tampering issue and take Bogdon off the table.)
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves