ImageImage

#60 - Sam Merrill - Utah State

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,733

Re: #60 - Sam Merrill - Utah State 

Post#141 » by DanoMac » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:17 am

chonestown wrote:NGL, getting eldest son on "Home Improvement" vibes from the lad.

Horst needs to find our demonic era Randy Taylor

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#142 » by emunney » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:14 pm

1st half
  • They are guarding each other to start.
  • Dort switches off with the ball screen, Cheatham pieces Merrill's shot from the left wing.
  • Dort goes glass in transition over the top of Merrill. Good effort by Merill backpedaling, staying perfectly vertical, but not a particularly difficult finish for Dort.
  • Merrill gets tight around a screen and scores a glasser of an OOB play.
  • Merrill gets stuck on a screen and Dort cruises through for a layup.
  • Dort cheats too far off Merrill in the corner, Merrill drills the C&S 3.
  • Looks like they've taken Merrill off Dort. Dort loses the handle. Merrill misses a transition 3 from above the left break off the back rim.
  • Merrill misses a ~10 foot pull up from the left baseline to the right. (Dort is out of the game) Shooting foul on Merrill in transition going the other way.
  • Merrill hits a nice looking jumper off the dribble near the right elbow coming right to left from the right baseline. Dort got clobbered by a screen. Merrill is excellent off ball screens, no difference here. Really gets tight, perfect pace.
  • Merrill back on Dort now. Dort goes right through him for an and-1. Could have been a charge. Very close. Merrill looked like he was toast but got back in front.
  • Dort tip dunk in transition.
  • Dort runs Merrill off the line and Merrill misses a floater.
  • Merrill back off Dort now. Dort hits a 3 from the top.
  • Dort misses a layup. Merrill still off ball.
  • Dort badly misses a 3 at the end of the half. Merrill sitting.

2nd half
  • Dort stuck on another high screen and Merrill cruises in for an easy one.
  • Dort comes right back down and gets to the rim to draw a foul. Merrill watching from the weakside corner.
  • Dort loses track of Merrill on the weakside wing but gets back in time for Merrill to drain one in his eye.
  • And-1 jumper for Dort on the body foul from Merrill in transition.
  • Merrill beats Dort rejecting the screen with a hesitation move but is off balance and misses the layup (tipped in).
  • Merrill beats Dort again with a right to left crossover. Merrill’s pull up threat really twisting Dort up. Misses the layup but draws a foul on the big.
  • Dort hits another 3 from the top (not on Merrill)
  • Tough drive for Dort right down the middle, another and-1.
  • Bad perimeter foul sends Merrill to the line (Dort elsewhere), hits the first.
  • Dort busts the zone by beating Merrill off the right wing and hitting a shooter on the opposite side from the paint.
  • Dort gets past Merrill in transition (off a made FT) and throws down a huge dunk.
  • Merrill catches Dort ball watching again and loses him to drain one from the top.
  • Another great ball screen use for Merrill as Dort chases over and Merrill gets to the rim for an and-1.
  • Merrill draws another foul after Dort switches off on a ball screen.
  • Merrill on Dort again. Dort travels off the catch.
  • Excellent anticipation by Merrill drawing a charge on Dort. He’s been hunting them. Finally gets one.
  • Dort beats Merrill on a crossover and draws a foul on the help.
  • Merrill beats Dort clean with an in and out in transition and draws a foul on the help. Possibly a cut dribble. CLEAN move either way. Both Merrill and Dort fouling bigs out left and right. GIFd this one.
  • Merrill misses a pretty clean look from the left wing with Dort closing.
  • Merrill gets a kick out off an offensive board and misses an off balance 15 foot floater. Uncharacteristically bad shot, looked like he got spooked by a late contest from Dort.
  • Dort faceguarding off the inbounds, but then has a bad closeout in the corner and Merrill easily gets by him for a layup. Possibly instructed to run him off the line at all costs.
  • Dort runs the shot clock down and gets downhill, Merrill can’t negotiate the screen and Dort fouls Queta out.
  • Another high ISO with Merrill on Dort, Dort gets into the paint for a 2 foot runner.
  • Dort hits two more FTs after Merrill fouls him coming out of an attempted backcourt trap that Dort just accelerated past.
  • Foul and chase time.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,870

Post#143 » by Fotis St » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:28 pm

emunney wrote: 1st half....

Man, for real I read every word !!! I loved it and love your passion to share it with us
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter
And1: 1,616

Post#145 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:13 pm

So did we trade this guy to the Pelicans too or not?
emunney
RealGM

Post#146 » by emunney » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:15 pm

ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:So did we trade this guy to the Pelicans too or not?

No, we got him from the Pelicans.
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,202

Post#147 » by Chad34 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:16 pm

ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:So did we trade this guy to the Pelicans too or not?

no, we received the pick from NO
emunney
RealGM

Post#148 » by emunney » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm

This guy ran a random forest model for the NCAA that has Merrill as the best pro 3pt shooter:

https://theplaygrounder.com/2020/11/18/predicting-nba-three-point-shooting-part-2-random-forests/

My dude Nate Darling just a half a point back. Nwora 12th.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#149 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:33 pm

emunney wrote:1st half
  • They are guarding each other to start.
  • Dort switches off with the ball screen, Cheatham pieces Merrill's shot from the left wing.
  • Dort goes glass in transition over the top of Merrill. Good effort by Merill backpedaling, staying perfectly vertical, but not a particularly difficult finish for Dort.
  • Merrill gets tight around a screen and scores a glasser of an OOB play.
  • Merrill gets stuck on a screen and Dort cruises through for a layup.
  • Dort cheats too far off Merrill in the corner, Merrill drills the C&S 3.
  • Looks like they've taken Merrill off Dort. Dort loses the handle. Merrill misses a transition 3 from above the left break off the back rim.
  • Merrill misses a ~10 foot pull up from the left baseline to the right. (Dort is out of the game) Shooting foul on Merrill in transition going the other way.
  • Merrill hits a nice looking jumper off the dribble near the right elbow coming right to left from the right baseline. Dort got clobbered by a screen. Merrill is excellent off ball screens, no difference here. Really gets tight, perfect pace.
  • Merrill back on Dort now. Dort goes right through him for an and-1. Could have been a charge. Very close. Merrill looked like he was toast but got back in front.
  • Dort tip dunk in transition.
  • Dort runs Merrill off the line and Merrill misses a floater.
  • Merrill back off Dort now. Dort hits a 3 from the top.
  • Dort misses a layup. Merrill still off ball.
  • Dort badly misses a 3 at the end of the half. Merrill sitting.

2nd half
  • Dort stuck on another high screen and Merrill cruises in for an easy one.
  • Dort comes right back down and gets to the rim to draw a foul. Merrill watching from the weakside corner.
  • Dort loses track of Merrill on the weakside wing but gets back in time for Merrill to drain one in his eye.
  • And-1 jumper for Dort on the body foul from Merrill in transition.
  • Merrill beats Dort rejecting the screen with a hesitation move but is off balance and misses the layup (tipped in).
  • Merrill beats Dort again with a right to left crossover. Merrill’s pull up threat really twisting Dort up. Misses the layup but draws a foul on the big.
  • Dort hits another 3 from the top (not on Merrill)
  • Tough drive for Dort right down the middle, another and-1.
  • Bad perimeter foul sends Merrill to the line (Dort elsewhere), hits the first.
  • Dort busts the zone by beating Merrill off the right wing and hitting a shooter on the opposite side from the paint.
  • Dort gets past Merrill in transition (off a made FT) and throws down a huge dunk.
  • Merrill catches Dort ball watching again and loses him to drain one from the top.
  • Another great ball screen use for Merrill as Dort chases over and Merrill gets to the rim for an and-1.
  • Merrill draws another foul after Dort switches off on a ball screen.
  • Merrill on Dort again. Dort travels off the catch.
  • Excellent anticipation by Merrill drawing a charge on Dort. He’s been hunting them. Finally gets one.
  • Dort beats Merrill on a crossover and draws a foul on the help.
  • Merrill beats Dort clean with an in and out in transition and draws a foul on the help. Possibly a cut dribble. CLEAN move either way. Both Merrill and Dort fouling bigs out left and right. GIFd this one.
  • Merrill misses a pretty clean look from the left wing with Dort closing.
  • Merrill gets a kick out off an offensive board and misses an off balance 15 foot floater. Uncharacteristically bad shot, looked like he got spooked by a late contest from Dort.
  • Dort faceguarding off the inbounds, but then has a bad closeout in the corner and Merrill easily gets by him for a layup. Possibly instructed to run him off the line at all costs.
  • Dort runs the shot clock down and gets downhill, Merrill can’t negotiate the screen and Dort fouls Queta out.
  • Another high ISO with Merrill on Dort, Dort gets into the paint for a 2 foot runner.
  • Dort hits two more FTs after Merrill fouls him coming out of an attempted backcourt trap that Dort just accelerated past.
  • Foul and chase time.

Elite. Thanks for this.
The Milwaukee Bucks are NBA Champions.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,699

Post#150 » by jimmybones » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:50 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Polygamist Pete Maravich

:lol: I needed this today, thanks Chuck, you're one of my favorite posters.

Wondering if polygamist Pete comes with the magic underpants, could increase the value of this pick.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#151 » by AingesBurner » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:36 am

Why do you guys love USU players so much? Is there a tie there in FO or coaching staff?
Ingles is cooked.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#152 » by Badgerlander » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#153 » by leroyjw10 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:29 am

I've really enjoyed watching Sam's highlights. Smooth, effortless jumper. I don't know who he guards in the NBA, but he really knows how to score.
emunney
RealGM

Post#154 » by emunney » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:50 am

Just good Bucks guard named Sam vibes.

Someone should ask Dort if he had a harder time with Harden or Merrill.
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#155 » by Fotis St » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:53 am

Sam Merrill has the tools to make a multiyear career if he stays in shape and healthy.
I don't like how the NBA GMs evaluate talent. They are trying to find the next Kawhi or Giannis and drafting players with based on their height/wingspan , regardless how well they know the game and their skill level. I am not saying this is completely wrong, I get that their looking for more potential, BUT jesus alot of really talented players go undrafted cause their wingspan is not 4 inches longer than their height or something.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#156 » by AussieBuck » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:24 am

I'm on this bandwagon, going to be calling him better than Bogdan after his second bucket.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,516

Post#157 » by drone3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:44 am

Just chuck Merill in the deep end, start him at SG. He will be fine, and give us much needed shot creation.

Jrue/Merill/Midds/Gianiss/Brook
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#158 » by Jez2983 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 am

I'm so happy that y'all have convinced me that he is thebestplayerwhoeverplayed.

TY.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#159 » by Fotis St » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:53 am

drone3 wrote:Just chuck Merill in the deep end, start him at SG. He will be fine, and give us much needed shot creation.

Jrue/Merill/Midds/Gianiss/Brook

Yes, eventually we will need him to start.
Forbes , DDV and Augustin are undersized especially against the guards of the Heat team.
Merrill has good size for SG.
I believe he will be able to stay in front of Herro and Duncan Rob.
I hope Bud gives Sam lots of minutes going forward
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#160 » by theFireBlanket » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:54 am

AussieBuck wrote:I'm on this bandwagon, going to be calling him better than Bogdan after his second bucket.

Rookie of the year, the next James Harden.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks