zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Re: Gobert Available? 

Post#61 » by zero24gravity » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:00 pm

red4hf wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
red4hf wrote:
So you're good with the Jazz paying him more than $40 mil a year?

He's an incredible player, but he's not worth that, especially since we'd be bidding against ourselves.......

"good with" ... questionable. But much better than trading him for a player without half his impact and some future assets that are unlikely to ever reach close to his stature. (You think Mitchell is going to be ok with a 5 year rebuilding plan??) I love Favs, but if people think that he & a defensive wing (via Gobert trade) can replace Gobert for 35mpg, they are crazy.

You don't trade a player of Rudy's caliber unless you KNOW you're going to lose him, you can get an equal talented start in return (never happens), or unless you're totally blowing things up.

But that's just me.

I don't want to trade him either, but you also can't have a situation where he, Mitchell and Bojan account for like 70% of the Jazz payroll...... That's not going to work either.......

Well, if those are the 3 players in question..... you get rid of Bojan and his no D, no passing, no rebounding, a$$, without blinking.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#62 » by red4hf » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:35 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
red4hf wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
"good with" ... questionable. But much better than trading him for a player without half his impact and some future assets that are unlikely to ever reach close to his stature. (You think Mitchell is going to be ok with a 5 year rebuilding plan??) I love Favs, but if people think that he & a defensive wing (via Gobert trade) can replace Gobert for 35mpg, they are crazy.

You don't trade a player of Rudy's caliber unless you KNOW you're going to lose him, you can get an equal talented start in return (never happens), or unless you're totally blowing things up.

But that's just me.

I don't want to trade him either, but you also can't have a situation where he, Mitchell and Bojan account for like 70% of the Jazz payroll...... That's not going to work either.......

Well, if those are the 3 players in question..... you get rid of Bojan and his no D, no passing, no rebounding, a$$, without blinking.

And replace him with whom?
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#63 » by zero24gravity » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:21 pm

red4hf wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
red4hf wrote:

And replace him with whom?

In this scenario, where we're talking about picking between Mitchell, Rudy & Bojan, it doesn't matter. Nobody? Any cost-effective 3&D wing or athletic forward would be fine, if the alternative was losing DM or Gobert.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,281

Post#64 » by babyjax13 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:47 pm

The more I think about it the more I think this offseason was preparing for Rudy possibly leaving. We drafted a center, we signed a starting caliber center, etc. I hope he's still here long term, but I think that may have been in question.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
red4hf

Post#65 » by red4hf » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:15 pm

The fact that they haven't agreed to an extension is concerning.......
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#66 » by Catchall » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 pm

red4hf wrote:The fact that they haven't agreed to an extension is concerning.......

The deadline is around Dec. 20, I think.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#67 » by Catchall » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 pm

babyjax13 wrote:The more I think about it the more I think this offseason was preparing for Rudy possibly leaving. We drafted a center, we signed a starting caliber center, etc. I hope he's still here long term, but I think that may have been in question.

Right, everything we've done this off-season has revolved around Rudy, imo. But I think the Jazz are putting themselves in position to potentially trade Rudy after he's been extended, as well. Might be this year, might be next year or the year after.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
red4hf

Post#68 » by red4hf » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:28 pm

Catchall wrote:
red4hf wrote:The fact that they haven't agreed to an extension is concerning.......

The deadline is around Dec. 20, I think.

I am not saying a deal won't be done...... Just that I would have thought they would have done it by now...... And in my conspiratorial mind, that means something is amiss (even if it may very mean nothing of the kind).......
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#69 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:23 am

If Gobert was not in town I would say something is up because but he is here.
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#70 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:39 pm

GobertReport wrote:If Gobert was not in town I would say something is up because but he is here.

He's here because he's under contract to play. His contract expires after this upcoming season.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#71 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:06 pm

If Gobert doesn't sign the extension in the first part of the season they should trade him. It would be better to just pull the band aid off and get it done with and allow the new rotation time to adjust. The Jazz should avoid another Hayward situation where your best player walks for nothing. I would prefer this not happen. But if he won't sign a max (not supermax) with a ton of built in incentives that allow him to earn above the max, it's time to move on.

The real question is who they trade Gobert for.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#72 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:22 am

Still no news on Gobert's contract situation, so I thought I'll bump this.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#73 » by D Rog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:05 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:If Gobert doesn't sign the extension in the first part of the season they should trade him. It would be better to just pull the band aid off and get it done with and allow the new rotation time to adjust. The Jazz should avoid another Hayward situation where your best player walks for nothing. I would prefer this not happen. But if he won't sign a max (not supermax) with a ton of built in incentives that allow him to earn above the max, it's time to move on.

If you were another team and the Jazz approached you with an offer of an all star center who becomes an unrestricted free agent in 4 or 5 months, how much would you give the Jazz? That other team will be in the exact same place the Jazz are in right now.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#74 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:55 pm

D Rog wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:If Gobert doesn't sign the extension in the first part of the season they should trade him. It would be better to just pull the band aid off and get it done with and allow the new rotation time to adjust. The Jazz should avoid another Hayward situation where your best player walks for nothing. I would prefer this not happen. But if he won't sign a max (not supermax) with a ton of built in incentives that allow him to earn above the max, it's time to move on.

If you were another team and the Jazz approached you with an offer of an all star center who becomes an unrestricted free agent in 4 or 5 months, how much would you give the Jazz? That other team will be in the exact same place the Jazz are in right now.

Yes, and no. As with the Hayward situation Gobert may feel jaded we aren't offering the supermax. If we trade him a team will have the bird rights and can offer him a max and it will be much less than the supermax and he won't feel as jaded with the new team. It's silly, but clearly these guys have egos.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#75 » by BudTugly » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:07 am

Must say I’m a little surprised there isn’t any anxiety about Rudy. I must have a higher opinion of him than most.

Cheers hope you all had a nice offseason.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#76 » by stitches » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:59 am

Read on Twitter

If that's true and he hasn't been budging, we should have known this much earlier and we should have traded him when teams were throwing insane offers for worse players.
red4hf

Post#77 » by red4hf » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Yeah...... Based on that, I don't see a deal being made...... Hope I'm wrong, but......
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#78 » by AingesBurner » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:06 pm

If Rudy doesn’t budge then I hope Ryan Smith gets involved to make a trade happen, it’s bad business to sit on hands, I was one of the few that said trade Hayward, well guess what I was right!!
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#79 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:09 pm

We'll see how this plays out but this situation isn't surprising or unforeseen. If we could discuss this scenario on this board two seasons ago, surely the Jazz knew this could happen. It looks like they're playing contract 'chicken' with Gobert just like they did with Hayward, while not having the leverage to do it. You'd think they'd learned the lesson by now.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#80 » by stitches » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:15 pm

A deal that I think might be done is one that involves the supermax BUT it's heavily incentives laden. Example

- Sure... you get the 35% BUT... only if we win a championship... or only if you are MVP.
- 34% if you get 1st team All-NBA and DPOY
- 33% if you get 1st team All-NBA
- 32% if you get 2nd team All-NBA and DPOY
- 31% if you get 2nd team All-NBA
- 30.5% if you get 3d team All-NBA and 1st team All-Defense
- 30% if you get 1st team all-D
- 29% if you get 2nd team all-D
- 28% in any other case.

Something like this...

And IMO(like others have said above) if Gobert doesn't sign an extension it will be a mistake to wait it out and see what happens. If all negotiations fall through... just trade him. Please! Yes, we will take a step back this year, but it's better to take a step back for a year than to lose an all-NBA talent for nothing.

I hate this...

Return to Utah Jazz