namlede
Sophomore
And1: 105

Welcome to OKC, Theo Maledon 

Post#1 » by namlede » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Highlight package https://youtu.be/CFOF4ak-cBc

Scouting interview with Mike Schmitz
https://youtu.be/GSyisO1o2ks

Really like this pick. He is kinda Shai like to be honest. Not as good a iso scorer, but probably a better shooter and passer. Very crafty, very mature floor game, has been battle tested with multiple playoff games for his french team in Pro A and in the euroleague. Speaking of the euroleague he shot the ball really well this past year as a 18 year old. Shooting splits of 46/37/69. The ft% is a little concerning, but he shot 90% at the free throw line in the french league so I'm not too worried about that.

He won gold for team France at the u16 european Championships scoring 20 in the final. Was named team captain for France at the u17 world cup. Youngest all-star in french league history. Was final MVP in the French Cup Championship.

I think he has the potential to be an all-around do a bit of everything combo guard. I really like his shot mechanics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Re: Welcome to OKC, Theo Maledon 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:27 pm

I love hearing that he has a relentless work ethic.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#3 » by a-French-Fan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:45 pm

A top 10 pick at pick #34. Congrats :)

Indeed, last year Maledon didn't play as much he deserved in french league, and so he felt. That what TP9 thinks, and one of the reason he fired his coach this spring. If you talk about level of french prospects, he was #1 tie with Hayes.
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#4 » by mr570 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:51 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:A top 10 pick at pick #34. Congrats :)

Indeed, last year Maledon didn't play as much he deserved in french league, and so he felt. That what TP9 thinks, and one of the reason he fired his coach this spring. If you talk about level of french prospects, he was #1 tie with Hayes.

Welllllll, Tony Parker did give his brother the open job. Are we sure that's not why the former coach got fired? Nepotism is easy to spot sometimes.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Tony Parker was brining the heat...

“He clearly ‘killed’ Theo Maledon. Theo and his family resent him. He put him under the extinguisher for a lot of games where NBA GMs were there and left before the end after coming from the other side of the world to see Theo. At that time, Theo’s rating was in the top 10, like Killian Hayes and it is not normal that a player like that is not drafted in the first round,” Parker told L’Equipe and added.

“He never played him last year. The way he treated him, it cost him a place in the first round. A player like that should have been in the top 10. I told him he had to be played and to respect the club’s plans.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1133750/tony-parker-blames-zvezdan-mitrovic-for-theo-maledons-fall-in-the-nba-draft/
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#6 » by a-French-Fan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:18 pm

mr570 wrote:

Welllllll, Tony Parker did give his brother the open job. Are we sure that's not why the former coach got fired? Nepotism is easy to spot sometimes.

Well I agree with you, TP9 gave his brother, and last week I saw the two worst basketball game of my life. Thanks TJ Parker for this 2 games. Believe me, you can't imagine how TJ Parker is not an Euroleague coach. Because of him, I thank I would become blind.

But ... TP9's family is his only weakness, and after seeing Maledon last 2 years, Parker is true about Mitrovic and Maledon. And to be honest, I couldn't imagine Hayes drafted higher than Maledon 14 months ago.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#7 » by mr570 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:51 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
mr570 wrote:

Well I agree with you, TP9 gave his brother, and last week I saw the two worst basketball game of my life. Thanks TJ Parker for this 2 games. Believe me, you can't imagine how TJ Parker is not an Euroleague coach. Because of him, I thank I would become blind.

But ... TP9's family is his only weakness, and after seeing Maledon last 2 years, Parker is true about Mitrovic and Maledon. And to be honest, I couldn't imagine Hayes drafted higher than Maledon 14 months ago.

I went and said that and look at this article:

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1133750/tony-parker-blames-zvezdan-mitrovic-for-theo-maledons-fall-in-the-nba-draft/
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#8 » by a-French-Fan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:03 am

mr570 wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:
mr570 wrote:Welllllll, Tony Parker did give his brother the open job. Are we sure that's not why the former coach got fired? Nepotism is easy to spot sometimes.

I went and said that and look at this article:

Whatever the true reasons that lead TP9 to fire Mitrovic, I think he is right when he said that Mitrovic didn't give him enough minutes. Soon or late, he would hire his brother, but we didn't expect this so early. So Mitrovic had to do things bad to be fired. And matter was that minutes were given between 4 PGs almost the same way in Euroleague than Jeep Elite. And for this, Mitrovic is to blame.

Also, when I see Maledon at pick #34, I sincerly wonder if NBA front offices understand how difficult is to get minutes in Euroleague for a young player, that Luka was the exception, and Euroleague is really a step higher than Eurocup. The proof is how things looked easy for (to?) Maledon in Eurocup at 17 years old during the previous season.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#9 » by slick_watts » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:42 pm

https://basket-infos.com/2020/11/26/theo-maledon-je-ne-vais-pas-le-cacher-il-y-a-une-petite-deception-une-opportunite-a-saisir/

maledon seems confident he's coming over, also there is a fact attributed to him that the al horford trade isn't going to be completed until the 8th, which suggests the thunder won't be using the adams tpe to facilitate.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#10 » by Old Man Game » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:21 pm

slick_watts wrote:https://basket-infos.com/2020/11/26/theo-maledon-je-ne-vais-pas-le-cacher-il-y-a-une-petite-deception-une-opportunite-a-saisir/

maledon seems confident he's coming over, also there is a fact attributed to him that the al horford trade isn't going to be completed until the 8th, which suggests the thunder won't be using the adams tpe to facilitate.
So he won't be available for the start of training camp then?

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 630

Post#11 » by remi_222 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:51 pm

what would be the expectations in term of min for him ?
namlede
Sophomore

Post#12 » by namlede » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:26 am

I'm hoping for at least 20 minutes per game.
remi_222 wrote:what would be the expectations in term of min for him ?

namlede
Sophomore

Post#13 » by namlede » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:26 am

Here is a full game of Theo vs Real Madrid in the euroleague.
https://youtu.be/zqJSU4fVOIc

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:32 pm

namlede wrote:I'm hoping for at least 20 minutes per game.
remi_222 wrote:what would be the expectations in term of min for him ?

As long as Hill is gone, I think he will get close to that. Right now we’ve got Hill, Shai, Jerome and Jackson and Theo that will be fighting for minutes.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#15 » by spearsy23 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:20 pm

I mean, I am super high on the guy, but I'd easily play him 25 even at the expense of hill and Jerome
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:43 pm

spearsy23 wrote:I mean, I am super high on the guy, but I'd easily play him 25 even at the expense of hill and Jerome

I think it depends on what they plan on doing with shai. If they are going to play him at point and they still have hill, I could see them giving hill minutes to facilitate a trade. If Theo and Shai can play together and alternate at the point, that might be something we see for years to come based on last years success of the three pg lineup.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#17 » by spearsy23 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I mean, I am super high on the guy, but I'd easily play him 25 even at the expense of hill and Jerome

I think it depends on what they plan on doing with shai. If they are going to play him at point and they still have hill, I could see them giving hill minutes to facilitate a trade. If Theo and Shai can play together and alternate at the point, that might be something we see for years to come based on last years success of the three pg lineup.

Who is the last starting center on a championship team that was above average? I'll take a good player at any position, but I'm not paying for one at center.

Of course you pay for great players regardless of position.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:16 am

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Who is the last starting center on a championship team that was above average? I'll take a good player at any position, but I'm not paying for one at center.

Of course you pay for great players regardless of position.

This year. Davis played 60% of his minutes at center in the playoffs and 40% at pf which was opposite of what he did in the regular season, 40/60. Also I don’t think you can ignore the success of the nuggets and heat with their bigs.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:33 am

It seems like Maledon’s lack of athleticism is overstated. He’s isn’t Russell Westbrook but he seems average to me.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#20 » by getrichordie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:40 am

ThunderBolt wrote:It seems like Maledon’s lack of athleticism is overstated. He’s isn’t Russell Westbrook but he seems average to me.

Agreed. This is something I've always said. A few guys I've talked to about him tell me that he played in a very conservative system. He looked like he had more burst and more shiftiness going to the basket in FIBA competition.
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder