Image ImageImage Image

Woj: Bulls sign Devon Dotson to 2-Way Deal

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Re: Woj: Bulls sign Devon Dotson to 2-Way Deal 

Post#61 » by bad knees » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:44 pm

Here's a positive analysis from NBADraftnet. They projected him going at the end of the first round. Very promising UDFA pickup.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/devon-dotson/
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,265

Post#62 » by kodo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:56 pm

R3AL1TY wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
mtron32 wrote:they're both 6'2"

Yeah but Dotson is probably more like 6'.5"

Yeah, they appear to be a little generous with how his height is listed. He looks as tall as Trey Burke or CP3.

He got measured at the combine, 6' 1.75" in shoes.
That puts him a whisker above Collin Sexton & Devonte Graham, 6' 1.5".
Looks like a NBA comparable is Trae Young, also measured 6' 1.75"
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#63 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:01 pm

bad knees wrote:Here's a positive analysis from NBADraftnet. They projected him going at the end of the first round. Very promising UDFA pickup.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/devon-dotson/

He's definitely a player to watch. UDFA or not, he's a talented kid who fits a major need on the roster and should be able to find some PT.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#64 » by Chi town » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Dotson has a special skill... speed. He can get his own shot. Only Zach and Coby can do that right now.

I like his upside too.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,610

Post#65 » by Repeat 3-peat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:44 pm

I would say Dotson will make the Windy City Bulls watchable but it seems there won't be a season. I wonder if they'll change the rules for the two-way contracts? Per the rules, players signed to TW contracts can only spend up to 45 days with the NBA club, maybe this year the TW contracts will basically be viewed as regular roster spots?
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#66 » by MrSparkle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:13 pm

Great project for 3rd string PG! Thrilled if we replace Arci & Sato with a legit vet point...

We'll finally have ourselves some competent speed & scoring at PG, as well as competent size and athleticism on the wings (no more 6'3 SFs - hello win column, goodbye blowout losses).
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#67 » by d boy gentleman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 pm

PhilLeotardo wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:Had my eye on Markus Howard from Marquette as an option but I think everyone was turned off by his height despite leading the NCAA in scoring

Huh? Howard was snagged by Denver. It was a brilliant pick up for them

I’ll bet they got to him first before anyone else. Their bench has the size & defense to mask his deficiencies

I absolutely wanted Howard too, but I’m fine with Dotson

Didn't know he was picked up. Good for him
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
ChiSox
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#68 » by ChiSox » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:07 am

Dotson was up for player of the year last year. Why did he go undrafted? A whole lot of point guards went ahead of him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,402

Post#69 » by fleet » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:50 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#70 » by Ccwatercraft » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:I would say Dotson will make the Windy City Bulls watchable but it seems there won't be a season. I wonder if they'll change the rules for the two-way contracts? Per the rules, players signed to TW contracts can only spend up to 45 days with the NBA club, maybe this year the TW contracts will basically be viewed as regular roster spots?

what is the story in the G League right now have they settled anything?
TheHrvReport
Bench Warmer
And1: 798

Post#71 » by TheHrvReport » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Already better than Arch. Shocked he went undrafted. Hopefully he can become our backup PG for the next 2-3 years at least.
thefranchise3
Junior
And1: 80

Post#72 » by thefranchise3 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm

He would've been a good pick in the early 2nd and maybe late first. His stock would have rose if the NCAA didn't shut down. Would've gotten at least 1 game from the B12 tournament as well as 2-6 more games in the NCAA tournament. In his last 10 games he was averaging 18 pts and the 3pt% was at 36% If he can get his 3 pt shooting to that level, he's a borderline starter in the NBA.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#73 » by R3AL1TY » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:53 pm

yea, the lockdowns caused certain players stock to fall since there weren't more games to see how their stats pan out nor any tournaments to assess how these guys play under pressure.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM

Post#74 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:55 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:I would say Dotson will make the Windy City Bulls watchable but it seems there won't be a season. I wonder if they'll change the rules for the two-way contracts? Per the rules, players signed to TW contracts can only spend up to 45 days with the NBA club, maybe this year the TW contracts will basically be viewed as regular roster spots?

So far what's reported is that it's not guaranteed they'll have a season. "uncertainty" is the word being used.

I for one don't expect a GL season. Covid-19 is likely to create a headache for the NBA alone, I'm not sure they want to add to the potential problem.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM

Post#75 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:36 am

Read on Twitter
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#76 » by Ccwatercraft » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:53 am

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:

So far what's reported is that it's not guaranteed they'll have a season. "uncertainty" is the word being used.

I for one don't expect a GL season. Covid-19 is likely to create a headache for the NBA alone, I'm not sure they want to add to the potential problem.

I checked with a friend that said there is a big call coming up Monday regarding the subject.
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#77 » by Big_C_KU » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:30 am

As a Bulls and a KU fan I’m always pumped to see a Jayhawk in Chicago.

Having watched all of his games the last 2 years I’ll break down what I’ve seen.

Strengths
-Speed in open floor and getting by defenders.
-Great attacking the basket with his speed and handles. Great change of direction to get through the lane.
-Great finisher at the rim including through contact. Was great finishing from day 1 at KU.
-Really good FT shooter especially with how often he went to the line.
-Good 3pt shooter when left open his freshman year. Only ok his sophomore year.
-Really good on-ball and help defender at KU both as freshman and a sophomore.

Weaknesses
-A little undersized at around 6-1 in shoes. Not an explosive leaper or long arms to make up for being undersized.
-Perimeter shot needs some work. Shoots a set/push shot and Needs space to get it off. Took a step back as a shooter from his sophomore year to his freshman year. Has potential though to be a strong 3pt shooter when left open.
-Lacks PG instincts. Not a great passer. Avg only 4 assists a game at KU and was not much of a creator for others. While He improved as the season went on in the PnR he’s still not really good at it. Marcus Garrett became more of the creator on the team than Dotson. Dotson is not strong with the drive and kick.

Overall Dotson has great potential to be a change of pace back up PG because of his speed, ability to attack the basket and his potential to be a good 3pt shooter when left open. Luckily for him the NBA has moved away from PGs having to be the de facto shot creator for NBA teams but still you won’t count on him to get open shots for everyone else. Worse for him is the fact that you must be able to guard multiple positions in the NBA now a days and while Dotson is a good on-ball defender he may be a target for switches to get bigger wing scorers on him.

I’m excited to see what he does in the NBA. Posted below one of Dotson’s best games of his career against Obi Toppin and Dayton if wanted to check it out.

StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Woj: Bulls sign Devon Dotson to 2-Way Deal 

Post#78 » by StunnerKO » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
TheFinishSniper