2020 Draft & Free Agency

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: 2020 Draft & Free Agency 

Post#301 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:47 pm

boomershadow wrote:Both Hayward and Bogdan would have been good additions. Idk how I would feel about paying either one of them the contract that they ultimately got, but they're both good players that would have made an impact imo. Without having made any moves, this team is still one fringe all-star, some good role players on decent contracts, and one former all-star who is: coming back from injury, on a contract with only one year left, wanting more money than most are comfortable giving him, and having very uncertain value as a possible trade piece.

It's still a much better situation than many teams in the league are in. This roster was a fourth seed last year and has some hope that a new system might better fit their talents together, that a couple guys will continue to grow (Aaron and Warren as scorers, Brogdon as a floor general), that Vic will look like he did that one year again. Still, it is difficult to see how they can really take an extra step and become a team a that looks bound for a conference finals or finals run.

We'll see.

That all said, continuity is a good thing unless someone on the team is a jerk and must go. I doubt the stories about Vic are as serious as we've seen. But if he's smart it is his contract year, this is the one that will set him for life. When he looks and see's what Hayward got from Charlotto he's got to think he's gonna get at least $25 million. If he plays well and rehabs the reputation that he had he'll get that at least. If the Pacers decide he's more valuable as a trade asset then he gets traded by the dead line. Either way it's better than trading him for scraps.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#302 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:33 pm

Kinda cool...

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#303 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#304 » by boomershadow » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:28 pm

I watched the Kevin Pritchard press conference, but there wasn't much in there that hasn't already been said or known for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#305 » by Topofthekey » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 pm

So it looks like Pacers really did offer Myles and Doug for Hayward

I don't understand the logic behind this

Myles is the more valuable player in a vacuum. Younger, cheaper, rarer skillset, no injury concerns like Hayward

Were they planning on going small ball with Warren at PF if they traded Myles for Hayward? That sounds horrible defensively

And Hayward at $30m makes more than Myles and Doug, so it probably would have impacted our ability to re-sign Justin as well

Was KP afflicted by temporary insanity?

Thank goodness for Ainge being a greedy scumbag, helped us dodge a fricking bullet there

Otherwise people need to picket Banker's Life and physically remove KP from office
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#306 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Topofthekey wrote:

So it looks like Pacers really did offer Myles and Doug for Hayward

I don't understand the logic behind this

Myles is the more valuable player in a vacuum. Younger, cheaper, rarer skillset, no injury concerns like Hayward

Were they planning on going small ball with Warren at PF if they traded Myles for Hayward? That sounds horrible defensively

And Hayward at $30m makes more than Myles and Doug, so it probably would have impacted our ability to re-sign Justin as well

Was KP afflicted by temporary insanity?

Thank goodness for Ainge being a greedy scumbag, helped us dodge a fricking bullet there

Otherwise people need to picket Banker's Life and physically remove KP from office

Pritchard said we’re going to see a ton of Warren at the 4 this year.

Otherwise, reports have been clear that we offered Hayward around 4/105, which would’ve been Myles/Doug, and Charlotte upped their offer to 4/120 to best us and finish it off.

I think he saw Myles and Gordon as similar in value with Doug matching salary. He said Hayward was a special player and you have to pay to get them. I think we would’ve seen Hayward and Warren switch the 3 and 4 back and forth if acquired.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#307 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#308 » by Topofthekey » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:29 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I guess that's where I disagree

KP thinks that Hayward is a better player overall than Myles, I don't

But of course, he's the one running an NBA franchise, I'm just a guy on the internet
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#309 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:43 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Well, reports out of Indy are that we offered Myles, a 1st and a “rotation player” (makes me think it might have been Lamb instead of McDermott, but that’s just my guess), but Ainge wanted a second starter instead of the rotation player and thought he could force Indy to overpay, but Charlotte was a surprise to him. Also reporting that Boston really wanted Turner going back to last deadline but misplayed their hand in this case.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#310 » by pacers33granger » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:47 am

That would have been an overpay for us so thank god Ainge got majorly greedy. Hayward isn't the answer and tying up $70-80 mil in a trio of him, Vic, and Brogdon is a real risky bet with little chance of really succeeding.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#311 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:22 am

Also saw in reporting that Simon was willing to pay the tax this year to bring back Hayward. I think that Simon was all in on Hayward and Pritchard was likely the one holding him back in a way in regard to his comments about not wanting to go overboard for a good player.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#312 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:55 am

I see. Looks like Simon was the one who got emotional about Hayward. It felt really uncharacteristic of KP, who made good and admirable decisions so far the past few seasons, to suddenly make what is most likely going to be a very poor decision in chasing after and overpaying for Hayward. Good on Simon willing to pay the tax though. I guess he felt compelled to bring Hayward back, this being the first time a high profile player openly stated the desire to play for his franchise. Again, good on Simon willing to pay the tax, but Hayward isn't what's going to push the team to contender status, especially not if it comes at the price of Myles. Trading Myles and overpaying for Hayward is basically taking one step forward and two steps back. Let Bjorkgren work with Domas and Myles first, I'm quite optimistic that he is going to be able to optimize their pairing
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#313 » by boomershadow » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:32 am

I agree that trading like Myles, Warren, and a 1st for Hayward would have been crazy and absolutely not worth it. But if it had been something more reasonable, paying 25 million might be an overpay, but would absolutely be worth it to bring in a player of Hayward's caliber. Even if he only played the same amount of games for us as he did Boston, that would still make him probably the second best free agent signing in team history
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#314 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:24 am

I would have been happy with something along the lines of Lamb + Doug + fillers. I could also be convinced to part with a 1RP, Warren, or even both. But when price tag balloons to include Myles, that's where I would draw the line
Wizop
RealGM

Post#315 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

But of course, he's the one running an NBA franchise, I'm just a guy on the internet
Where did he say Hayward was better than Myles? He only said you have to explore the possibility of getting a good player and Hayward is certainly that. I doubt we'll ever know exactly what either side offered. There is a report though that Charlotte is trying to make it a sign and trade which suggests the ink isn't dry on the paperwork. Stay tuned.

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#316 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Where did he say Hayward was better than Myles? He only said you have to explore the possibility of getting a good player and Hayward is certainly that. I doubt we'll ever know exactly what either side offered. There is a report though that Charlotte is trying to make it a sign and trade which suggests the ink isn't dry on the paperwork. Stay tuned.

Sent from my phone.

About the trade, he said that it materially improves the team

I take that as him saying the incoming player is better than the outgoing players
Wizop
RealGM

Post#317 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:48 pm

IndyStar is now saying we offered Turner, a rotation player, and a FRP, but Celtics wanted two starters. If true, Celtics badly overplayed their hand

Sent from my phone.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#318 » by Tom White » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:55 pm

Wizop wrote:IndyStar is now saying we offered Turner, a rotation player, and a FRP..........

Just my opinion of course, but even that would be over-paying. For instance, why even include a FRP?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#319 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#320 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:48 pm

I'm wondering about Exhibit 10s, 2 ways, and the G League season.

Sent from my phone.

Return to Indiana Pacers