Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#1461 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:41 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Some wait and see time and patience is needed here.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#1462 » by whatisacenter » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:06 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Read on Twitter

I am really curious to see what if anything the team does with this. My early favorites were DRose or Tucker but I think it would require a 1st going out and it would need to be heavily protected to make it worth it for a year rental.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#1463 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:49 am

whatisacenter wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Read on Twitter

I am really curious to see what if anything the team does with this. My early favorites were DRose or Tucker but I think it would require a 1st going out and it would need to be heavily protected to make it worth it for a year rental.

It's doubtful that the Warriors will do anything with this in the near-term, unless somebody of great value (but low enough salary) becomes available by surprise. More likely, IF they end up using it (which is a big "if", considering that the luxury tax penalty will be pretty extreme), it will be at the trade deadline or after buyouts occur. Having a salary slot available of that size could be really helpful in signing somebody who was bought out - when other contenders might only be able to offer a minimum salary slot, the Warriors being able to offer significantly more could help bring on some late help.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1464 » by Mylie10 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:42 am

What he said
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1465 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:14 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's doubtful that the Warriors will do anything with this in the near-term, unless somebody of great value (but low enough salary) becomes available by surprise. More likely, IF they end up using it (which is a big "if", considering that the luxury tax penalty will be pretty extreme), it will be at the trade deadline or after buyouts occur. Having a salary slot available of that size could be really helpful in signing somebody who was bought out - when other contenders might only be able to offer a minimum salary slot, the Warriors being able to offer significantly more could help bring on some late help.

Yep.

They also have some MLE available for getting talent if needed.

Batum is going to make his full contract, so he is going to choose a team not based on money most likely.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#1466 » by Kilo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Is the FO and coaching staff comfortable with the PG situation? Is Curry going to play big minutes and 72 games? No "load management"?
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#1467 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:00 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:[

Do they have to use the full DPE or they can use part of it?

I don't know that a buyout player in February or March would be worth the full DPE.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#1468 » by The-Power » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Kilo wrote:Is the FO and coaching staff comfortable with the PG situation? Is Curry going to play big minutes and 72 games? No "load management"?

They want to make the playoffs – for which the owners have paid handsomely – and aren't a playoff team without Curry. So I'd suspect that if Curry can play, he will play. They won't rush him when he's injured and who knows what our record is after a number of games, but I doubt there's any plan to have Curry rest games just to manage the load. We're simply in no position to do that, although that doesn't mean we're going to see Curry play 36+ MPG on average.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#1469 » by xdrta+ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:10 pm

Kilo wrote:Is the FO and coaching staff comfortable with the PG situation? Is Curry going to play big minutes and 72 games? No "load management"?

I think they're counting on Wanamaker to take some of the load off. From what I've seen of him he's looks pretty reliable. Not a lot of mistakes.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#1470 » by whatisacenter » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:44 pm

I would like to see the Warriors use their DPE on DRose or Tucker but I think Houston and Detroit would like a 1st round pick in addition. Unless it his HEAVILY protected I don't think it would be worth the tax hit and the 1 year rental.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#1471 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:39 pm

wco81 wrote:

I don't know that a buyout player in February or March would be worth the full DPE.

Rules around the DPE:
1. It expires on April 19th.
2. The value is $9.3M. They can use any amount up to the full $9.3M.
3. They can use it on only 1 player, via trade, free agency, or waiver claim. (It is NOT similar to the TPE or MLE, in which multiple players could be acquired up to the amount of the exception.)
4. The player they use it on must not be under contract beyond this year (i.e. even a player under contract with options for next year are not eligible to be acquired under the DPE). If they sign a free agent, it can only be for the rest of this season.
5. They will not get Bird rights on the player they acquire.

The scenario I can foresee is that a non-playoff team buys out a pretty good player after the trade deadline. Other contenders can only offer him a minimum salary slot, because they’re fully capped out. Meanwhile, the Warriors could offer him any amount they want, up to $9.3M, to try to attract him. That’s quite a bargaining chip to try to get potentially difference-making talent before a playoff run.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1472 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:42 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Rules around the DPE:
3. They can use it on only 1 player, via trade, free agency, or waiver claim. (It is NOT similar to the TPE or MLE, in which multiple players could be acquired up to the amount of the exception.)
4. The player they use it on must not be under contract beyond this year (i.e. even a player under contract with options for next year are not eligible to be acquired under the DPE). If they sign a free agent, it can only be for the rest of this season.

The scenario I can foresee is that a non-playoff team buys out a pretty good player after the trade deadline. Other contenders can only offer him a minimum salary slot, because they’re fully capped out. Meanwhile, the Warriors could offer him any amount they want, up to $9.3M, to try to attract him. That’s quite a bargaining chip to try to get potentially difference-making talent before a playoff run.

I don't know if there's been any buyout player in the last 5 years who really made a difference in the playoffs. They would have to integrate to a new team with maybe a month or two of the season left?

But late season trades can help. Gasol probably helped the Raptors that year.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#1473 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:49 pm

wco81 wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Rules around the DPE:

I don't know if there's been any buyout player in the last 5 years who really made a difference in the playoffs. They would have to integrate to a new team with maybe a month or two of the season left?

But late season trades can help. Gasol probably helped the Raptors that year.

A couple of interesting potential buyout guys, as I scanned around the league - Redick, and half the Spurs roster (including Aldridge and Gay). We’ll obviously have to see how this develops......
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1474 » by Mylie10 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:26 pm

Right now Lou Williams or Tucker move the needle for me. Both make 8mil.

I think either guy would fit really well for the roster. I doubt either team would want to deal with us for different reasons.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM

Post#1475 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:12 pm

Yeah but it's not worth trading for many of these, unless the teams would take 2nd round picks.

Better to let the teams buy them out and then try to get them then.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#1476 » by Phase 3 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:38 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Right now Lou Williams or Tucker move the needle for me. Both make 8mil.

I think either guy would fit really well for the roster. I doubt either team would want to deal with us for different reasons.

I’d take Lou, DRose, or Tucker...in that order.

Imo the Warriors need another lethal scorer without Klay. DRose and Tucker(Rockets have a cheap owner) are probably way more obtainable though...I doubt the Clippers send Lou to the W’s.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#1477 » by Coxy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:27 pm

Phase 3 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Right now Lou Williams or Tucker move the needle for me. Both make 8mil.

I’d take Lou, DRose, or Tucker...in that order.

Imo the Warriors need another lethal scorer without Klay. DRose and Tucker(Rockets have a cheap owner) are probably way more obtainable though...I doubt the Clippers send Lou to the W’s.

We should be keeping an eye on Daniel House Jnr. If Houston trade Harden or Westbrook, theymay listen to offers to start a rebuild.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#1478 » by xdrta+ » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 pm

One reason to be patient with the DPE is that over half the teams in the league are hard-capped and some may have to shed salary as the season goes on. The Warriors will be in a position to pick someone up.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1479 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:44 pm

xdrta+ wrote:One reason to be patient with the DPE is that over half the teams in the league are hard-capped and some may have to shed salary as the season goes on. The Warriors will be in a position to pick someone up.

I'm watching the Rockets because they are going to have trouble fielding a full roster it seems at the moment.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1480 » by Mylie10 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:25 pm

I’m all for waiting until buy outs with this thing, unless a team makes a player that makes really good sense for us becomes available.
Khoee wrote “

Return to Golden State Warriors