ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,982

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#1121 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:04 am

Parliament10 wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:Ima right a short story where literally everything posted on twitter is true. Contradictions, impossibilities, all of it. It's gonna be a sci-fi comedy horror sports romance starring coach mang, Celtics History Lesson, Pogue Mahone, and several of Constable's lesser known egos.

Fencer reregistered wrote:Poul Anderson once wrote a book whose premise was that everything Shakespeare wrote was true, from Prospero's Isle to Fortinbras' cannon. The premise sort of worked. Not among my 10 favorite books of his, however.

SMTBSI wrote:Well, if you've read enough Poul Anderson to have a top 10, let me ask you:

What are some of your favorite sci-fi novels, by any author, that I've likely not read?

Fencer reregistered wrote:I don't know anything about your reading habits, other than that you seem to know who Poul Anderson, but for starters and in no particular order:

-- Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series is amazing. Miles is my favorite dwarf character, Tyrion Lannister not excepted.
-- If you haven't read Leguin's Left Hand of Darkness, it's one of the greats.
-- Samuel Delany's Babel-17 is as great as his other books without the tediousness that can creep in.
-- I love Zelazny, who could write pure fantasy (Amber series) or do similar stuff in SF (the delightful Lord of Light or the great but depressing This Immortal). His novella A Rose For Ecclesiastes was one of the things that first hooked me on SF. Lord of Light is an amazing romp: Space travelers reinvent Hinduism (with functioning reincarnation) and are evil despots. One of their number reinvents Buddhism to lead a revolution.
-- In general, the Science Fiction Hall of Fame is a lot of what hooked me. Vols 2A and 2B were even better than Vol 1.
-- Niven/Pournelle was a great collaboration. Mote in God's Eye was their best.
-- Generally I love Niven's hard SF. And one of his best stories, Inconstant Moon, can be found plagiarized online.
-- Brin's Practice Effect is a fun, fantasy-like romp.
-- Also on the light side, Piers Anthony's first six Blue Adept books are fun. But stop with the series right there.
-- I really liked John Brunner's work back in the day, notably Shockwave Rider. That might seem dated now, however; I haven't read it for decades. His fantasy Traveler in Black is woefully underrated.
-- In straight fantasy with strong Earth history analogues, I really like G. G. Kay's A Song For Arbonne and Turtledove's Videssos series.

I also edited some of my wife's paranormal erotic romances, one of which was a top seller on Amazon, but I'm going to guess your taste doesn't run in that direction. :)

SMTBSI wrote:Actually never read any Poul Anderson, which is why I asked: if you've got a full top-10 by an author I haven't even gotten to yet, you were likely way better read than I.

At this point, I've mostly been exposed to the big names classics that are readily findable in any book store. Asimov, Clarke, Herbert, Bradbury, Heinlein, Le Guin (Left Hand is certainly an all-time favorite), Dick, etc. Some Niven/Pournelle, including Mote+sequel and Footfall. Bester - The Stars My Destination. Still on the lookout for The Demolished Man.

I'm mostly thrifting these days. Last haul included my first exposure to Harlan Ellison and Delany. Babel-17 has been on my list for a while, per an earlier recommendation, but haven't found it yet. Not much modern stuff, but The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi was absolutely excellent.

Either way, you've got a couple names in there I've definitely never heard of, which was the goal. So, thank you very much.

Fencer reregistered wrote:Got it. You're welcome. :)

Poul Anderson was one of those guys who wrote both hard SF and fantasy. His fantasy was more memorable. If you can find his anthology with 5 novellas including Goat Song and Queen of Air and Darkness, they're awesome. (Fantasy in spirit; technically SF.) Tau Zero is my my favorite straight SF novel by him. Three Hearts and Three Lions is one of his fun fantasies, as is one whose name I'm now forgetting about a witch and a werewolf in a magic-heavy alternate WW2 and beyond. The Man Who Counts (straight SF) is the most memorable of his van Rijn books/stories.

Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series is one of the all time classics (I think the first was called To Your Scattered Bodies Go, but check). Ditto Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight series, if you don't mind that 4 of the first 6 books have female protagonists. (I think that's the name of the first book.)

Spider Robinson's Callahan's Saloon story collections were fun ... uh, you do like puns, don't you? ;)

I'll stop now. :)

Bad-Thoma wrote:I'm not as well read as either of you apparently but am a sci-fi/fantasy go to as well, if you're looking for something more modern The Expanse novels by James S.A. Corey are good fun. I know we're in the wrong thread though.

floyd wrote:Recommendation for The Three-Body Problem. Hard Sci-fi from a Chinese author (Cixin Liu). Slow pacing but I really enjoyed the series.

yosemiteben wrote:Totally off topic but I loved that series, highly recommended.

Curmudgeon wrote:I love the Expanse, both in print and on the screen. My other faves are CJ Cherryh's Faded Sun Trilogy and her Morgaine Cycle, and of course Asimov's Foundation trilogy. I'd also love to see a movie of Cherryh's Serpent's Reach, to let the guys and gals at WETA Digital have a go at the Majat, her alien species from that book.

CavemanDoctor wrote:Netflix has greenlit the production of a The Three-Body Problem series by the way. Created by the creators of Game of Thrones. Just FYI!

Fencer reregistered wrote:While we're on filmed adaptations of great book series, His Dark Materials is VASTLY better than the movie was. Season 1 did suffer from lack of budget, specifically in that humans' intertwining with daemons wasn't clear, and similarly a little in the bear/armor area. But otherwise it was excellent. Little of the acting was scenery-chewing brilliant, but this is a story where almost every important character has important internal conflict, and the actors and writers were consistently effective at capturing that.

I base that all on Season 1, but my wife tells me Season 2 recently started.

Y'all should check out Octavia Butler. She was an African-American Feminist Sci-Fi Writer.
Most of her Protagonists are African-American Women.

She wrote a number of really great series of books. The Pattermaster Series (of 5 books), Xenogenesis Trilogy, Parable Series.
Though, her most acclaimed work is Kindred, ironically a solo novel.

Here's the Wikipedia link detailing her works and life. It's mostly accurate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_E._Butler

She was a fantastic Writer. Unfortunately, she passed in 2006.
I don't know too many African-American Women, who wrote as well as her, in the Sci-Fi genre.

I'm actually working on the Parable of the Sower right now
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#1122 » by SMTBSI » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:00 am

Bad-Thoma wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Y'all should check out Octavia Butler. She was an African-American Feminist Sci-Fi Writer.
Most of her Protagonists are African-American Women.

She wrote a number of really great series of books. The Pattermaster Series (of 5 books), Xenogenesis Trilogy, Parable Series.
Though, her most acclaimed work is Kindred, ironically a solo novel.

Here's the Wikipedia link detailing her works and life. It's mostly accurate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_E._Butler

She was a fantastic Writer. Unfortunately, she passed in 2006.
I don't know too many African-American Women, who wrote as well as her, in the Sci-Fi genre.

I'm actually working on the Parable of the Sower right now

Hugo, Nebula and Locus award winner? Good enough for me.

Parable of the Sower and Kindred added to the list.

Keep it coming, y'all.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1123 » by jmr07019 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Just discovered this guy today. Incredibly talented. Here's Northing Else Matters by Metallica jammed into the Game of Thrones theme

and a cover of the "Where is My Mind" by the Pixies

Show Love Spread Love
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#1124 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:36 pm

Mando is by far the best new star wars product. Seems like disney has their new *willing participant* leading lady for another project.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,781

Post#1125 » by flintsky21 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:14 pm

Turned 32 today. Asked my auntie, who's a baker, to make me a Kemba Walker cake, although it ended up looking like Brad Wanamaker. :lol:

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,892

Post#1126 » by SuperDeluxe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:21 pm

flintsky21 wrote:Turned 32 today. Asked my auntie, who's a baker, to make me a Kemba Walker cake, although it ended up looking like Brad Wanamaker. :lol:

Spoiler:

Happy birthday! The angle of the first photo makes it look more like a smug-looking Kyrie Irving than Wanamaker or Kemba :D
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,781

Post#1127 » by flintsky21 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:49 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
flintsky21 wrote:Turned 32 today. Asked my auntie, who's a baker, to make me a Kemba Walker cake, although it ended up looking like Brad Wanamaker. :lol:

Spoiler:

Happy birthday! The angle of the first photo makes it look more like a smug-looking Kyrie Irving than Wanamaker or Kemba :D

It actually does now that you've mentioned it! :D
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#1128 » by Pacino62 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:06 am

If you have Hulu, check out Run with Sarah Paulson. If you have Prime, check out Uncle Frank. And if you’re looking for a fun mindless action Christmas movie, checkout Fatman.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#1129 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Pacino62 wrote:If you have Hulu, check out Run with Sarah Paulson. If you have Prime, check out Uncle Frank. And if you’re looking for a fun mindless action Christmas movie, checkout Fatman.

Prior to your recs, I've only seen Love & Monsters so far. One of my favorite movies of the year. Since your recs, I've seen Uncle Frank (really well done! Paul Bettany was great and that girl that looks like Ellen Page was amazing too), Fatman (fun mindless action is right!), and Possessor (probably not for me haha but loved the premise and the ending).
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#1130 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:36 pm

Pacino62 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:Ok. I, as most people, have seen a lot of garbage over the last 5-6 months. There were a few highlights thought...

1.-Possessor - On Demand - My favorite film of 2020
2.-Love and Monsters - On Demand - Top 5 2020
3.-The Wolf of Snow Hollow - On Demand - Think Fargo meets American Werewolf in London
4.-The Mortuary Collection - Shudder - comedy/horror anthology
5.-Spiral - Shudder - solid psychological horror

That is super high praise for Wolf of Snow Hollow as Fargo and American Werewolf in London are all time greats. Will add it to my watch list.

Yeah man. As unique a movie I’ve seen in a while (in a good way)

Really enjoyed Wolf of Snow Hollow, a great dark comedy

Speaking of Shudder, I really like Hell House LLC. I throw it on every couple of months

One Cut Of The Dead is easily my favorite movie of the year, an amazing movie
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#1131 » by Pacino62 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:12 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:If you have Hulu, check out Run with Sarah Paulson. If you have Prime, check out Uncle Frank. And if you’re looking for a fun mindless action Christmas movie, checkout Fatman.

Prior to your recs, I've only seen Love & Monsters so far. One of my favorite movies of the year. Since your recs, I've seen Uncle Frank (really well done! Paul Bettany was great and that girl that looks like Ellen Page was amazing too), Fatman (fun mindless action is right!), and Possessor (probably not for me haha but loved the premise and the ending).

Ha. Yeah. I probably should have had a disclaimer in there about how odd Possessor is. I mean. It’s definitely a Cronenberg film, even if it’s his son. If Cronenberg senior isn’t your bag, Possessor wouldn’t be either. The girl is a great actress. She’s got a bright future. You recognized her from the It movies...right?

I really hope the pandemic doesn’t hurt Love and Monsters chance at a franchise. Because, it almost undoubtedly would have been in a perfect world.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#1132 » by Pacino62 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
That is super high praise for Wolf of Snow Hollow as Fargo and American Werewolf in London are all time greats. Will add it to my watch list.

Yeah man. As unique a movie I’ve seen in a while (in a good way)

Really enjoyed Wolf of Snow Hollow, a great dark comedy

Speaking of Shudder, I really like Hell House LLC. I throw it on every couple of months

One Cut Of The Dead is easily my favorite movie of the year, an amazing movie

Yeah man. People sleep on LLC. Great movie. One Cut was great. Did you catch Little Monsters last year?

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#1133 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Yay Asian-Americans FTW!
Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#1134 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed Dec 2, 2020 2:55 am

If you like proggy/djenty/melodic instrumental music, an Australian cat I really like released his latest album a couple of days ago.

Rick Beato broke down one his older songs a while ago too.

I also just recently discovered some more recent music by a British DJ/producer I listened to a bit 20 years ago called Aim. Sean Price must have recorded this not long before he passed, he was definitely one of the best.

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,892

Post#1135 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Dec 2, 2020 9:18 pm

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1136 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 4:24 pm

I ate some edibles and watched alien worlds on net flix lol not bad
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,003

Post#1137 » by exculpatory » Thu Dec 3, 2020 9:14 pm

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2031382

Important

The Undoing on HBO - last couple of episodes could have been done better.
Hugh Grant is fat.
Nicole Kidman is impossibly hot.
Donald Sutherland was awesome - albeit stunningly ugly.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1138 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Dec 5, 2020 12:03 am

The Flight Attendant on HBO max is awesome. Dark, hilarious, weird, and addicting.

Kaley Cuoco is brilliant in it as well, the 98% on RT is well deserved.
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#1139 » by Pacino62 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 10:14 am

It isn’t art, music or literature - but it’s a guilty pleasure

Spoiler:
Euphoria - :oops: that is all

jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1140 » by jmr07019 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 12:23 am

Utopia on Amazon prime was fantastic and so is Schitts creek (Netflix)
Show Love Spread Love

Return to Boston Celtics