ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray. 

Post#1 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:31 pm

I mean it's never too early for Wiz fans plus it's a shortened season so we have to get an early start. :clown:

Seriously though. While I am irked we are still lacking a round 2 pick from the Ernie era, there is lovely talent coming up this year. Always the future holds hope. :D
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Cade Cunnigham here we come! :) 

Post#2 » by prime1time » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:53 pm

doclinkin wrote:I mean it's never too early for Wiz fans plus it's a shortened season so we have to get an early start. :clown:

Seriously though. While I am irked we are still lacking a round 2 pick from the Ernie era, there is lovely talent coming up this year. Always the future holds hope. :D

We are lacking a 2nd rounder? Wow. That hurts.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#3 » by Shoe » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:57 pm

2021 international prospects.

Garuba is a strong, agile 6’8 big man who was already earning minutes in Euroleague at 17 years old. The hope is that he can become a Draymond Green-lite as a switchable defender with elite help instincts while also providing short-roll passing and spot-up shooting on offense. His offense remains a major work in progress, but he feels like the clear-cut top international prospect heading into the ‘21 draft.

Hukporti won MVP at Basketball Without Borders during All-Star Weekend in Chicago in February, which is traditionally an indicator that big things are to come for a prospect. It’s easy to see the German center’s talent. A massive 7-foot, 250 pound big man, Hukporti projects as a rim runner and rim protector who separates himself from the pack by being surprisingly light on his feet. Teams will want to see more tape to make sure he can consistently defend on the perimeter, but his rebounding and finishing make him valuable in the right situation regardless.

Coveted since winning MVP of the 2018 U16 European championship, Prkacin had a strong year for Cibona, standing out for his scoring versatility and IQ. The 6'9" forward shot 18-of-49 from three in the Croatian league, also showing the ability to attack closeouts and finish or pass on the move. He'll look like a fit for NBA teams as long as his perimeter skills continue to improve.

The younger brother of former Wolverines star Moritz Wagner, Franz Wagner is a 6’8 two-guard who enters his sophomore season hoping to emerge as Michigan’s leader alongside veteran forward Isaiah Livers. Wagner should get every opportunity to create with the ball in his hands for the Wolverines, and potentially profiles as a high-volume three-point shooter. While he only hit 31.1 percent of his threes last year, he’s a great free throw shooter (83 percent) and made big strides in his all-around offensive game late last season.

At 7'1" with a 7'8" wingspan and a 9'10" standing reach, Badji is too special physically to overlook despite his game being almost entirely dependent on tools and athleticism. He blocked 20 shots in 92 minutes at the Adidas Next Generation Tournament and registered a 12.7 block percentage in the LEB Silver League. He combined to shoot 42.9 percent from the free-throw line with 10 assists in 29 games, numbers that reflect his skill level. But prospects with his size, length and mobility don't come around very often.

Jokubaitis profiles as a scoring combo guard who also possesses excellent floor vision. He is around 6’4, left-handed, and extremely crafty offensively. A solid shooter, he’s a legitimate offensive force for Žalgiris when he’s rolling.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#4 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:36 am

It would be great to add a #1 pick to add to our young core and move on from Wall.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#5 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:40 am

I'd love to get Franz Wagner! Let's build this team around the Wagner brothers! Trade Wall and Beal.

:lol:
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#6 » by prime1time » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:19 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:It would be great to add a #1 pick to add to our young core and move on from Wall.

I feel like the #1 pick would come at the expense of Beal. Which hurts because Cunningham seems like the perfect pg to pair with Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:37 pm

One player to keep an eye on that's practically in our back yard and nobody talks about is 7'1 Jay Huff from UVA. Yeah, he's not what the NBA is looking for (short arms, not athletic looking), but he's an awfully good college center who has wonderful defensive fundamentals, has started hitting 3's, and there's something to be said for playing for UVA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Shoe
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by Shoe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:13 pm

Roko Prkacin 6'9 international forward with some handles.

A smooth, talented combo forward with an advanced skill set. Plays more of a below the rim game but has enough length and speed to project as a solid defender at the next level.

Very skilled with the ball, showing small forward skills in a big frame. Understands the game at a high level (he’s the son of a professional ball player) and seems to always know where to be on the court. A good passer with excellent court vision.

Roko can really handle the ball and can play some point forward. Good at taking his man off the dribble and getting into the lane, where he’s a creative shot-maker. Has a very quick first step and good burst into the lane.

At this point outside shooting is his biggest weakness. It’ll be interesting to watch over the next year to see if he shows good improvement in this area.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:24 pm

Anyone get a chance to watch the Gonzaga/Kansas game late last night? Jalen Suggs is a stud - excelling in every asset of the game - primarily at PG - though he's starting with Joel Ayayi - who's also a PG. They share the PG duties when they play together. Suggs was also a HS quarterback and has the kind of confidence you see in top QB's. He knows he's good, and it shows, but he's not only athletic, he competes hard. I also like Ayayi, but he's more of a late 1st kind of talent - with good size at 6'5. Suggs is 6'4 and build strongly - a high lottery prospect.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:39 am

Ruzious wrote:Anyone get a chance to watch the Gonzaga/Kansas game late last night? Jalen Suggs is a stud - excelling in every asset of the game - primarily at PG - though he's starting with Joel Ayayi - who's also a PG. They share the PG duties when they play together. Suggs was also a HS quarterback and has the kind of confidence you see in top QB's. He knows he's good, and it shows, but he's not only athletic, he competes hard. I also like Ayayi, but he's more of a late 1st kind of talent - with good size at 6'5. Suggs is 6'4 and build strongly - a lottery prospect.

:nod:

He sure does look like a lottery pick.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Anyone get a chance to watch the Gonzaga/Kansas game late last night? Jalen Suggs is a stud - excelling in every asset of the game - primarily at PG - though he's starting with Joel Ayayi - who's also a PG. They share the PG duties when they play together. Suggs was also a HS quarterback and has the kind of confidence you see in top QB's. He knows he's good, and it shows, but he's not only athletic, he competes hard. I also like Ayayi, but he's more of a late 1st kind of talent - with good size at 6'5. Suggs is 6'4 and build strongly - a lottery prospect.

:nod:

He sure does look like a lottery pick.

And I'm sure it helps that he plays with such great college players like Timme, Kispert, and Ayayi, but the skills, talent, and competitiveness are there. Kispert's a first rounder for his shooting and scoring - he should be a 6th man in the NBA - instant offense off the bench. Doesn't look like much as a defender or rebounder, but we shall see. Timme's a great scorer, but he can't handle double-teams by good teams - he turns it over too much pounding the ball too much. Does not appear to be a rim protector. Still, as a 3 point shooting 5 who can score 1 on 1 inside, he'll get drafted.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#12 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:36 pm

After watching Suggs, now I'm contemplating trading Beal for a high lotto pick. It would have to be Beal + Lopez to Golden State for Wiggins + Wiseman + the Minny 1st. Then trade Wall for whatever cap relief we can get and tank.

Go into next year with two top 8 picks plus Brown Jr, Bertans, Wiggins, Avdija, Hachimura, Wiseman and Bryant
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#13 » by Dat2U » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:10 pm

nate33 wrote:After watching Suggs, now I'm contemplating trading Beal for a high lotto pick. It would have to be Beal + Lopez to Golden State for Wiggins + Wiseman + the Minny 1st. Then trade Wall for whatever cap relief we can get and tank.

Go into next year with two top 8 picks plus Brown Jr, Bertans, Wiggins, Avdija, Hachimura, Wiseman and Bryant

Its better to wait till after the lottery to see where the picks land. Beal has enough value that we can target who we want and be able to make a deal happen.
Shoe
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by Shoe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#15 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Shoe wrote:
Read on Twitter

He also had 4 blocks in that video alone. And the assists he made were all very impressive.
Shoe
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by Shoe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:02 pm

nate33 wrote:
Shoe wrote:
Read on Twitter

He also had 4 blocks in that video alone. And the assists he made were all very impressive.

Yep and that's the ACC freshman projected to go 4, compared to the one that went 4 this year. This class is leagues ahead but I expect the Wizards to be picking 9 at the earliest.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:28 pm

Btw, yes Cade Cunningham is a legit 1/1 - something that was lacking in the 2020 draft. Seems to see everything 2 steps ahead of everyone else. A deceptively good (not great) athlete that can over-power the opposition.

Jalen Johnson - going 7 for 7 is a great start, but there are still major concerns about his jump shot. His game is a lot like Ben Simmons' - but he's not as big as Simmons.
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 3, 2020 12:46 am

Jalen Suggs just went down with an injury.

Looks like an Achilles year to me.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:18 pm

While Cunningham already looks like a legit 1/1 in most drafts, I think there's a player who's gone ahead of him. Evan Mobley is the next great big. So far, looks like a better version of... JJJ.

RealGM

Post#20 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:42 pm

Evan Mobley is obviously a great, can’t miss player.

He’s not quite as explosive as some but he’s supremely skilled. I was trying to decide who he reminds me of. Danny Manning? Rasheed Wallace? Most recently and the one others are saying, Jaren Jackson Jr. If he were stronger I’d even say Tim Duncan.

Between him, Cade Cunningham, Jalen Suggs this draft is completely loaded. It’s like the draft that had Olajuwon, Jordan, and Barkley,

I can tell these young men will become superstars.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards