ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 59th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors select: Jalen Harris

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,545

Re: With the 59th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors select: Jalen Harris 

Post#141 » by Psubs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:20 am

Fast_Feets wrote:Holy moly. The highlight vids look great but his physicsl measurements are elite. Sleeper pick. He should be our backup 2 guard in no time. Eventual starter

He's like TD with better PG skills.
Retro_Junkball
Senior
And1: 277

Re: With the 59th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors select: Jalen Harris 

Post#142 » by Retro_Junkball » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Impressive highlight clip. Looks like he should have been a first rounder. Based on athleticism and aggressiveness, he's a very good prospect. Good handle. Can see him being another second round steal. Based on clips, he looks better than Flynn...but it was mostly scoring on the interior or mid-range that impressed me.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#143 » by Psubs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Retro_Junkball wrote:Impressive highlight clip. Looks like he should have been a first rounder. Based on athleticism and aggressiveness, he's a very good prospect. Good handle. Can see him being another second round steal. Based on clips, he looks better than Flynn...but it was mostly scoring on the interior or mid-range that impressed me.

Super quick hops.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#144 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Looking at some more video of him there were a couple of clips where he broke down the defender and he reminded me of Bradley Beal. Could he be a poverty-stricken Bradley Beal? He would have to improve his spot up shooting and his defense but they're both scoring guards with identical dimensions who can rebound the ball and have swagger. It is a comparison with 19 yr old Beal and 22 yr old Harris but still he could be dynamic.

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/03/05/jalen-harris-scouting-report/
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,683

Post#145 » by Badonkadonk » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:29 pm

Psubs wrote:
Fast_Feets wrote:Holy moly. The highlight vids look great but his physicsl measurements are elite. Sleeper pick. He should be our backup 2 guard in no time. Eventual starter

That's a really good analogy, as he has the same weaknesses - slow/simple reads out of the PnR and lost on D.

I see why he almost slipped out of the draft, but at the same time I see why the Raps bet on his potential even at his age.

I'm cautiously optimistic that he can learn to see the game better under Nurse and Lowry/FVV.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#146 » by Psubs » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:58 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
Psubs wrote:

That's a really good analogy, as he has the same weaknesses - slow/simple reads out of the PnR and lost on D.

I see why he almost slipped out of the draft, but at the same time I see why the Raps bet on his potential even at his age.

I'm cautiously optimistic that he can learn to see the game better under Nurse and Lowry/FVV.

With more experience his ceiling could be Norman Powell with better PG skills. :nod:
rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#147 » by rrdjutriurt » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Jalen seems to have a really great feel for where everyone is on the floor and makes plays in a variety of different ways with a variety of different speeds. He never really looks out of control. Even has a nice teardrop floater he uses to avoid taking charges. High IQ player and probably capable of becoming a good defender if he puts his mind into that area of the floor.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,672

Post#148 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:18 pm

Yeah, he's got a high ceiling. He's a bit short, that's really my only gripe with him

His shot is great, check every release. Not rushed, feet set...it looks like the same shot every time. Next to no variance. He's going to be a great shooter.
rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#149 » by rrdjutriurt » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:23 pm

How the heck does a guy with such a variety of skills like Jalen and testing so high in the combine end up almost not getting drafted at all. Clearly every team in the league was sleeping on this guy. Thank goodness we have Masai and Bobby.
Dalek wrote:A pick is just a number, let's not forget this guy is a three level scorer who has grinded his way into being a draft pick. He tested as one of the best at the Combine as well:

Harris 6-foot-4 in shoes, 6-7 wingspan with 4.4 percent body fat

Standing vertical jump of 37.5 inches was the highest in the 2020 combine and the best in the last four NBA combines

Max vertical jump was 42.5 inches

Lane agility time of 10.59 seconds, the third best at this year's combine

3.11-second three-quarter-court sprint ranked fifth

And he can do these types of dunks

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Basically, I see a bit of Jamal Murray in his game and with Toronto development system you never know how high he can reach. At the minimum he takes some bench minutes as as an off-guard.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#150 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:05 pm

antonaki1 wrote:How the heck does a guy with such a variety of skills like Jalen and testing so high in the combine end up almost not getting drafted at all. Clearly every team in the league was sleeping on this guy. Thank goodness we have Masai and Bobby.
Dalek wrote:A pick is just a number, let's not forget this guy is a three level scorer who has grinded his way into being a draft pick. He tested as one of the best at the Combine as well:

Harris 6-foot-4 in shoes, 6-7 wingspan with 4.4 percent body fat

Standing vertical jump of 37.5 inches was the highest in the 2020 combine and the best in the last four NBA combines

Max vertical jump was 42.5 inches

Lane agility time of 10.59 seconds, the third best at this year's combine

3.11-second three-quarter-court sprint ranked fifth

And he can do these types of dunks

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Basically, I see a bit of Jamal Murray in his game and with Toronto development system you never know how high he can reach. At the minimum he takes some bench minutes as as an off-guard.

- Not as strong spot up shooter
- School he attended
- Slighty undersized
- Limited passer

Stats wise he's similar to TD at Ole MIss - size too - but he's feel for the game is better. Smoother (Murray, Beal type of smooth). A much purer scorer than both TD and Norm. Our staff should be able to turn him into a better player than TD if Harris is willing to put in the work. He does have a chip on his shoulder which seems to be necessary for a Masai pick.

https://www.babcockhoops.com/post/jalen-harris-q-a
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,134

Post#151 » by Dalek » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:32 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Yeah, he's got a high ceiling. He's a bit short, that's really my only gripe with him

His shot is great, check every release. Not rushed, feet set...it looks like the same shot every time. Next to no variance. He's going to be a great shooter.

You mentioned the height and I could say that is my recurring gripe with almost all of offseason moves:

Malachi Flynn about 6'1" when Theo Maledon was there who was 6'5" with a decent wingspan
Jalen Harris a bit undersized at 6'4" but makes up for it with his wingspan
Aron Baynes not a seven footer and 7'2" wingspan makes him a bit short as a C

All of those guys make up for their height with tenacity and IQ so we should be okay, but the league is trending towards more size overall, so it is interesting that Toronto doesn't pay attention to trends.

Alex Len and Chris Boucher are ideal height for their positions.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,908

Post#152 » by lolwut » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:41 pm

Dalek wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Yeah, he's got a high ceiling. He's a bit short, that's really my only gripe with him

You mentioned the height and I could say that is my recurring gripe with almost all of offseason moves:

Malachi Flynn about 6'1" when Theo Maledon was there who was 6'5" with a decent wingspan

All of those guys make up for their height with tenacity and IQ so we should be okay, but the league is trending towards more size overall, so it is interesting that Toronto doesn't pay attention to trends.

Isn't the league trending in the opposite direction?
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
GM89
Sophomore
And1: 202

Post#153 » by GM89 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:57 pm

lolwut wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Isn't the league trending in the opposite direction?

I believe Raps value skill and bbiq over size. Obviously the goal is to get a player that has all 3 but those usually are lottery picks.

Return to Toronto Raptors