ImageImage

Is Huerter the odd man out? (Update: Huerter traded to SAC)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Who would you rather the Hawks keep long term?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:14 am

De'Andre Hunter
67%
Kevin Huerter
33%

Total votes: 3

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Is Huerter the odd man out? (Update: Huerter traded to SAC) 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:46 pm

There's a report that Huerter was dangled in trade talks with NO this fall.

Code: Select all

...by all accounts, New Orleans management successfully engineered a bidding war for Holiday's services. The Boston Celtics offered Gordon Hayward plus their three first-round picks in last week's draft, it is said. Atlanta is known to have discussed the No. 6 pick, Dewayne Dedmon and sharpshooting youngster Kevin Huerter.
Bleacher Report

Now with Bogdan brought in on a 4-year deal (and Reddish likely ahead of him in the rotation because of defensive concerns), is KH in the long term plans for this team? Or trade bait for the big, aggressive next move Schlenk is already hinting at?

PTH's seems to believe Huerter is still an integral part of the long term plans.

Read on Twitter

The Athletic doubts Huerter and Young can make a viable backcourt pairing because oif their defenisve limitations.
Spoiler:
Sam Vecenie wrote:Young never reaching even an adequate level defensively would put real pressure on the roster-building surrounding him and force the Hawks into tougher spots that make them less flexible going forward in the kind of players they can target.

...if Young never gets better on defense, it probably resigns Huerter to either being trade bait or to being more of a sixth-man. It would put way too much pressure on their help defense to have both Young and Huerter out there. Both of them — particularly Huerter — are smart defenders, but neither holds up enough in on-ball defense to really be out there together in late-game situations. In that vein, I actually think it’s really important for the Hawks to find a secondary ballhandler or playmaker who is also good on defense.
The Athletic

What do you guys think?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Re: Is Kevin Huerter the odd man out? 

Post#2 » by jayu70 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 pm

I take no exception trading Huerter for an upgrade, just not interested in moving him for rentals. (Jrue, Hayward). Having said that m, Huerter is going into the season as the backup SG. I think we'll at least see how the rotations are looking thru the trade deadline. The year that Huerter hits RFA, Bogi will have 1 guaranteed year left (he has a player option in last year).
The question is, will Huerter have improved enough to be able to move on from Bogi or take his starting spot or will he be relegated to 6th man and/or be moved.

PG: Young, Rondo/Dunn
SG: Bogdan, Huerter,
SF: Hunter, Reddish
PF: Collins, Gallinari
C: Capela, Fernando/Okongwu
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#3 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Verbs are important.

I'd be more inclined to believe Huerter was "discussed." Not so much "dangled," as-if there was actually a desire to move him.

I agree with the previous poster that Huerter can be viewed as an understudy to BogBog.
Vincecarder
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#4 » by Vincecarder » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:31 pm

Huerter is 22 years old with over 100 NBA starts. He will now get to learn from Bogdan and refine his game while under an affordable rookie contract. Hawks can throw out a ton of different lineups and having a shooter & passer like Kevin is very valuable. No way do you trade him unless it really helps out the team ie getting Giannis.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#5 » by King Ken » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:51 pm

Not at this time, ultimately, he's the ideal 6th to 7th man on any roster. He could start in certain situations but ours probably isn't one of them due to Trae's defensive deficiency.

I do think he's someone that could be a Hawk for the next 10 years or someone we shop next year for a Giannis or Bradley Beal. He has a lot of value but he's the only one of the core 7 that you know is never going to be a starter for us again and that's best for his career. This role is honestly the best for him.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 503

Post#6 » by raleigh » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:39 pm

I'd move him for a draft pick - late lotto?
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#7 » by vtime » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:57 am

If you think you can keep him long term on a cheap deal then you do so. He’s a 4th or 5th starter in a lot of teams due to his shooting and playmaking. If there’s a trade for a star available, then yes you pull the trigger.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:50 pm

Chris Kirschner wrote:Bogdanovic likely will replace Kevin Huerter in the starting lineup and in crunch time, and a case could be made that out of the returning players, there might not be someone who was hurt more with the arrival of a new player than Huerter. Bogdanovic and Huerter are similar players in that they’re both good shooters, not ideal fits with Young defensively, have limited burst and can offer some playmaking ability, but the main difference is Bogdanovic can truly take over games by himself. Bogdanovic had a few games last season for the Kings, one of which was in Atlanta, when he was the difference-maker and the engine of the offense that night.

With continued growth in Huerter’s game, it’s certainly possible that at some point he rises to Bogdanovic’s level where he can be a successful on-ball creator and engine, but Huerter’s not there just yet. Bogdanovic is also a three-level scorer and a genuinely elite mid-range shooter while Huerter hasn’t yet shown much success at the rim or in the mid-range. Huerter was actually the better 3-point shooter last season percentage-wise, but Bogdanovic took 7.2 attempts per game compared to Huerter’s six.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:18 pm

This poorly written Fansided article isn't very good, the trade is actually equal parts insultiong and infuriating. But the fact that outsiders have pondered this same question is noteworthy. If nothing else, it means Kev and his representatives have had the same thought over the last week plus as well.

New Orleans Pelicans should pursue trade with Hawks for Kevin Huerter

Why the Hawks would do it

Huerter could potentially get buried in the depth chart for Atlanta, especially if the Hawks want to keep a defensive-minded guard like Rajon Rondo or Kris Dunn on the floor with Trae Young at all times.

Huerter could be the odd man out, so the Hawks would be trading from a position of strength to bolster their big-man depth at multiple spots.
New Orleans -- Fansided
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:19 am

raleigh wrote:I'd move him for a draft pick - late lotto?
That would be a solid small risk for teams to pursue. Kevin has shown he has what it takes to stay in the league but I'm not as high on him.as some are. I just want to see him shoot first when the look is there.
I look forward to watching his growth during the upcoming season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:25 am

CP War Hawks wrote:If we were to compare Bogs to Huerter, it's just the former is more stronger both mentally and physically. He knows how to get to rim and short mid range area and get his shot off. Simple nuances like that Huerter hasn't figured out.

I do think the reasonable outcome for Huerter is a Bogdan Bogdan caliber of player. Which does make me wonder if another team puts in a strong RFA for Kevin next summer to steal him away from us...
jayu70
RealGM

Post#12 » by jayu70 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:09 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:If we were to compare Bogs to Huerter, it's just the former is more stronger both mentally and physically. He knows how to get to rim and short mid range area and get his shot off. Simple nuances like that Huerter hasn't figured out.

I do think the reasonable outcome for Huerter is a Bogdan Bogdan caliber of player. Which does make me wonder if another team puts in a strong RFA for Kevin next summer to steal him away from us...

I think Huerter has one more year before RFAcy. JC would be a RFA next offseasaon if not extented, Huerter and Trae the following year.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#13 » by graymule » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 pm

:crazy:

WHY?? Hawks will not pay Collins. Boston will get him for $5 million. (As per rumor.) Huerter has lost his position. He's already been replaced so the Hawks will trade him. Just make them a semi-reasonable offer.

We now have a good team and people already are willing to tear it asunder. why?

:banghead:

Collins isn't going anywhere. Huerter isn't the odd man out. They are still part of the long term Hawks team. At least, I hope so.
Atlanta is not yet one of the desired places that those great, all NBA players desire to be. We're still growing.

:D
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#14 » by Spud2nique » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:49 pm

graymule wrote::crazy:

WHY?? Hawks will not pay Collins. Boston will get him for $5 million. (As per rumor.) Huerter has lost his position. He's already been replaced so the Hawks will trade him. Just make them a semi-reasonable offer.

Collins isn't going anywhere. Huerter isn't the odd man out. They are still part of the long term Hawks team. At least, I hope so.
Atlanta is not yet one of the desired places that those great, all NBA players desire to be. We're still growing.

Agreed. People are getting antsy for the season to start so they want to tinker with our roster and trade all our players. Let the kids grow!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#15 » by jayu70 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:02 pm

graymule wrote::crazy:

Yep.
With Rondo and Dunn out, KH becomes the defacto PG. As seen in the preseason game...Goodwin isn't quite ready for the fulltime backup PG role.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#16 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Keep what we got. Heurter looks real good as a 6-8 player on the team and he will continue to get better; all these young guys will. People are so impatient. Look at K Korver, took him 12 years to become a fulltime starter, second year with Hawks.

Everyone wants instant gratification, is it a Covid thing cause it's worse than ever.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#17 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:19 pm

Shouldn't have said everyone. Few reasonable people here :lol:
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#18 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:35 pm

Tend to think the standard of judgment for any of the roster, including notably Goodwin or Trae, is their previous season's performance, not so much their performance in the first two games back after 9 months' layoff.

Maybe that's just me, though.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#19 » by azuresou1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:43 pm

I really like Kevin Huerter - he has one of the wettest strokes in the entire league, has great height and good athleticism for a shooter, has a solid handle for an off-ball guard, and is a willing and able passer.

The only thing he needs is to continue developing his confidence and feel empowered to assert himself on the court.

I think he still has tons of untapped potential, and I'm not moving him for anything less than a CLEAR on-court upgrade (i.e. as part of a Giannis package).
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:52 pm

jayu70 wrote:I think Huerter has one more year before RFAcy. JC would be a RFA next offseasaon if not extented, Huerter and Trae the following year.

You're right. And I stand corrected. But the point still stands. As much as we covet KH and see him on an upward trajectory, it's very likely other teams view him the same way and will be making a fat RFA offer to him when the time comes. If we're only halfway through the Bogdan contract and are paying Trae and Collins top money -- and are prepping strong offers to retain Cam and D Hunter -- something's gotta give.

I fear Kevin Huerter, my favorite current Hawk player, will be the odd man out when the bill comes due.

Return to Atlanta Hawks