ImageImageImage

MOREY!!!!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Re: MOREY!!!!! 

Post#201 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:32 pm

76ciology wrote:https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/18/daryl-morey-says-westbrook-trade-boosted-title-odds-by-30-percent/

All this RW trade talk made me do some research on RW and ask why did Morey wanted this guy..

RW is an inefficient scorer. He’s floating on 52TS%, after the 2016-2017 season (peak stat padding season). He is a horrible scorer in the playoffs with an average of 41FG% for his career.

I know people will say it’s Fertita’s fault. But Morey sounds like he wanted RW and when I was listening to a podcast (i believe its woj) that the guy being interviewed said Fertita is the one who wanted RW, Morey called the guy and told him everyone was on board with RW. Including himself.

The offseason trade of Chris Paul (and draft considerations) for guard Russell Westbrook boosted the Houston Rockets’ odds of winning the NBA championship by about 30 percent, according to GM Daryl Morey, who cited internal calculations

For the time being, let’s stick with the facts. He traded for RW and thought they’re a better team with RW.

Did he assume RW was going to play like how he did 3 years ago when he averaged 30-10-10 (2016-2017)?

But should RW’s career playoff shooting numbers should have informed him better?

You can't say "let's stick to the facts" and then put the opinion that suits your argument as a fact. It's a fact that Morey traded for Westbrook. That Morey thought the team would be better via the trade is what's being disputed, and not necessarily a fact.

Regardless, I image the miscalculation was the health of Chris Paul rather than thinking Westbrook was something that he wasn't.
RealAlex01
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#202 » by RealAlex01 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 pm

I have to admit, I really love the direction we have been going in since hiring Morey. Hopefully we have gotten rid of every last bit of the snakes known as the Colangelos.
Save Our 76ers...Oust Josh Harris and his entire regime!
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#203 » by davesilver » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:56 pm

Nailed the draft. Interested to see how FA works out now
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#204 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:34 pm

RealAlex01
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#205 » by RealAlex01 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Damn! Morey trolled the Thunder in a subtle yet savage tweet. I am getting more and more sold on Morey!
Save Our 76ers...Oust Josh Harris and his entire regime!
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#206 » by Bruteque » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:58 pm

elchengue20 wrote:Last moves Morey made on Houston didn't make him look good IMO.

I don't care about his RS stats, Westbrook never was a winning player. Also he relies a lot on athlicisim, so he's going to regress a lot and turn into a terrible contract in no time.

The trade to make them a full time small ball team was also very questionable.

I hope these moves were just made by context and having little to no options. The CP3/Harden beef really messed with his plans.

That wasn't a move Morey wanted to make. The owner forced his hand. Morey would have readily taken the blame, but Fertitta bragged publicly when it happened about forcing the move despite management's reluctance, something about Fertitta being the man having the balls to pull the trigger.

:lol:

It probably ultimately led to the breakup, despite the amicable appearance. Morey is obviously not high on owner interference. HOU's loss is PHI's gain.

:wink:
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#207 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but does it worry anyone else that Morey chose to trade our *2025* 1st with light protections? This tells us one of three things IMO:

1) He believes we'll be contending, and nowhere near the 1-6 pick range
2) He believes the window with this roster will be closed, and thus, we'll be tanking and be in that 1-6 pick range
3) He'll be GONE in 5 years and doesn't care where we'll be

Option 1 is the least likely to me, as Jo will be over 30 years old and we know his health may prevent him from being productive deep into his career.

Option 2 is possible and is what I initially believed to be the thought process in trading that pick.

However, I'm starting to believe option 3 is the most likely (and scariest) reason. If we start seeing him trade additional picks beyond 2025 then I think it's safe to assume he sees us strictly as a 5-year-only project and won't hesitate to mortgage our future the way he did in Houston.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,908

Post#208 » by Wilfried » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:32 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed already, but does it worry anyone else that Morey chose to trade our *2025* 1st with light protections? This tells us one of three things IMO:

2) He believes the window with this roster will be closed, and thus, we'll be tanking and be in that 1-6 pick range

Option 1 is the least likely to me, as Jo will be over 30 years old and we know his health may prevent him from being productive deep into his career.

Option 2 is possible and is what I initially believed to be the thought process in trading that pick.

However, I'm starting to believe option 3 is the most likely (and scariest) reason. If we start seeing him trade additional picks beyond 2025 then I think it's safe to assume he sees us strictly as a 5-year-only project and won't hesitate to mortgage our future the way he did in Houston.

Option 4) He knew he could only start building something when he could trade Al Horford. OKC said 'yes but' and we attached a pick that could have some value (Presti knows the first couple of years, that pick will probably be in the 20's) so ...

There is that
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#209 » by LloydFree » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:39 pm

Wilfried wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed already, but does it worry anyone else that Morey chose to trade our *2025* 1st with light protections? This tells us one of three things IMO:

Option 4) He knew he could only start building something when he could trade Al Horford. OKC said 'yes but' and we attached a pick that could have some value (Presti knows the first couple of years, that pick will probably be in the 20's) so ...

There is that

... Or maybe consider what was important to the other team in the trade, and realize that Embiid won't be under contract by then and any 1st they received from us between now and then would likely be in the 20's.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#210 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Wilfried wrote:

There is that

But that doesn't explain why he chose a pick 5 years from now. Do you think OKC specifically demanded 2025?

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#211 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:51 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
Wilfried wrote:

There is that

But that doesn't explain why he chose a pick 5 years from now. Do you think OKC specifically demanded 2025?

Because you can’t trade picks consecutively, so it allows him to trade 2021 and 2023. And 2021 1st round pick is one of our most valuable trade asset.

Case closed?

I expect him to trade both picks BTW.

I dont think Presti would want any pick later than 2025. And its also too risky for us.

And lastly, the more I analyze this trade the more I think Morey won this trade which is impressive.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#212 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:22 pm

76ciology wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
Wilfried wrote:

There is that

Because you can’t trade picks consecutively, so it allows him to trade 2021 and 2023. And 2021 1st round pick is one of our most valuable trade asset.

Case closed?

I expect him to trade both picks BTW.

I dont think Presti would want any pick later than 2025. And its also too risky for us.

And lastly, the more I analyze this trade the more I think Morey won this trade which is impressive.

Hope y’all are right. Just something to think about though.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#213 » by TTP » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:52 pm

jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#214 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:25 pm

youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/18/daryl-morey-says-westbrook-trade-boosted-title-odds-by-30-percent/

All this RW trade talk made me do some research on RW and ask why did Morey wanted this guy..

RW is an inefficient scorer. He’s floating on 52TS%, after the 2016-2017 season (peak stat padding season). He is a horrible scorer in the playoffs with an average of 41FG% for his career.

I know people will say it’s Fertita’s fault. But Morey sounds like he wanted RW and when I was listening to a podcast (i believe its woj) that the guy being interviewed said Fertita is the one who wanted RW, Morey called the guy and told him everyone was on board with RW. Including himself.

The offseason trade of Chris Paul (and draft considerations) for guard Russell Westbrook boosted the Houston Rockets’ odds of winning the NBA championship by about 30 percent, according to GM Daryl Morey, who cited internal calculations

For the time being, let’s stick with the facts. He traded for RW and thought they’re a better team with RW.

Did he assume RW was going to play like how he did 3 years ago when he averaged 30-10-10 (2016-2017)?

But should RW’s career playoff shooting numbers should have informed him better?

You can't say "let's stick to the facts" and then put the opinion that suits your argument as a fact. It's a fact that Morey traded for Westbrook. That Morey thought the team would be better via the trade is what's being disputed, and not necessarily a fact.

Regardless, I image the miscalculation was the health of Chris Paul rather than thinking Westbrook was something that he wasn't.

I sort of have a different opinion on the trade. To me what led to the trade wasn't Morey or the owner it was Harden. Remember there were reports that Harden made the decision he didn't want to play with Paul anymore.

At that point Morey and ownership is stuck between a rock and a hard place because Paul contract at that time was basically immovable so they had to trade for Westbrook because that really was their only option to get out of Pauls deal while still getting a piece that could help them remain a contender. Of course in hindsight what happened is they sold low on Paul and bought high on Westbrook but tell me what the other option was if Harden wanted him gone?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers