clyde21 wrote:Joey Baker
Jaemyn Brakefield
Matthew Hurt
Jalen Johnson
Wendell Moore Jr.
Jeremy Roach
DJ Steward
Mark Williams

Brakefield is barely going to play, same with Williams, Baker isn't a 2021 guy, will come back for Senior year

Steward I bet comes back, Duke is playing Goldwire-Roach-Moore-Johnson-Hurt as a starting group

Coleman could earn enough respect even from the bench to leave early
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 910

Re: Duke prospects thread 2021 

Post#3 » by retrobro90 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:08 am

Fischella wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Joey Baker
Jaemyn Brakefield
Matthew Hurt
Jalen Johnson
Wendell Moore Jr.
Jeremy Roach
DJ Steward
Mark Williams

Brakefield is barely going to play, same with Williams, Baker isn't a 2021 guy, will come back for Senior year

Steward I bet comes back, Duke is playing Goldwire-Roach-Moore-Johnson-Hurt as a starting group

Coleman could earn enough respect even from the bench to leave early

This seems like a nice 5 for Johnson to play a little point-forward
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,464

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Almost done with the 1st half of the first game and pretty much what I thought with this group. No elite NBA talent on it, except for Johnson. But its pretty clear Johnson doesnt have the foot speed to be an elite prospect. If his 3pt shot is solid all year, I can see him going somewhere in the teens, if not I can see him going in the 20s.

Either than that.

Hurt: Doesnt have the athleticism to make it in the NBA
Moore: Just doesnt have a NBA skillset or enough athleticism to go off of raw athleticism
Baker: Doesnt have the athleticism
Steward: Doesnt have the size or athleticism
Roach: Is going to be a very good college PG, but dont see him being talked about as a NBA prospect for a few years
Coleman/Williams/Brakefield: Probably going to be incompletes this year, wont get consistent minutes.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,478

Post#5 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Almost done with the 1st half of the first game and pretty much what I thought with this group. No elite NBA talent on it, except for Johnson. But its pretty clear Johnson doesnt have the foot speed to be an elite prospect. If his 3pt shot is solid all year, I can see him going somewhere in the teens, if not I can see him going in the 20s.

Either than that.

Moore: Just doesnt have a NBA skillset or enough athleticism to go off of raw athleticism
Roach: Is going to be a very good college PG, but dont see him being talked about as a NBA prospect for a few years
Coleman/Williams/Brakefield: Probably going to be incompletes this year, wont get consistent minutes.

Sorry to hear that about Johnson. Based on his box score I was hoping he was killing it out there. His archetype is one I really enjoy.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:49 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Almost done with the 1st half of the first game and pretty much what I thought with this group. No elite NBA talent on it, except for Johnson. But its pretty clear Johnson doesnt have the foot speed to be an elite prospect. If his 3pt shot is solid all year, I can see him going somewhere in the teens, if not I can see him going in the 20s.

Either than that.

Sorry to hear that about Johnson. Based on his box score he as hoping he was killing it out there. His archetype is one I really enjoy.

Dont get me wrong, I think he looks really good. Wont shock me if he is on some All American teams, the dude is a hell of a player. He looks really big out there as well, he looks bigger than the 6'8 than many places have him listed as. His vertical looks pretty good as well. But just looking at his footspeed and trying to picture him as a perimeter player in today's NBA isnt the best thought haha. The feet just look pretty slow out there. The more I think about it, I dont see him slipping to the 20s, but in this draft I can definitely see him going late teens.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,181

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:24 pm

if your eval is at the 4 his footspeed i think is fine, his skill set at pf is definitely a +, if he can keep shooting/scoring like this he'll be intriguing in the teens for me for sure.

that said I'm not sure how much we can take from Coppin **** State
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#8 » by Marcus » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Yeah I'd be looking at JJ as a Lamar Odom type which would be a 4 right now. He had the size, seems tough enough but the speed advantage could negate what he might give up other end in terms of banging. Frame could add size though.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:31 pm

clyde21 wrote:if your eval is at the 4 his footspeed i think is fine, his skill set at pf is definitely a +, if he can keep shooting/scoring like this he'll be intriguing in the teens for me for sure.

His skillset is no doubt a +. I also assume as the season progresses we will see K use him more as a point forward (at least I hope so). The footspeed is his big red flag (as of it kills any kind of versatility for his game). Everything else gets positives, solid explosiveness, the passing is obviously there, good handle for the size, the form on his shot is solid as well, and he uses his size pretty well. Also to be clear, this is how I viewed him prior to today's game, really the only thing I was going to take from today's game is how his athleticism looks.

I cant wait to see him up against another high-end perimeter talent to get a better measure of his footspeed.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:38 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:if your eval is at the 4 his footspeed i think is fine, his skill set at pf is definitely a +, if he can keep shooting/scoring like this he'll be intriguing in the teens for me for sure.

His skillset is no doubt a +. I also assume as the season progresses we will see K use him more as a point forward (at least I hope so). The footspeed is his big red flag (as of it kills any kind of versatility for his game). Everything else gets positives, solid explosiveness, the passing is obviously there, good handle for the size, the form on his shot is solid as well, and he uses his size pretty well. Also to be clear, this is how I viewed him prior to today's game, really the only thing I was going to take from today's game is how his athleticism looks.

I cant wait to see him up against another high-end perimeter talent to get a better measure of his footspeed.

yea I think that's gonna be key, if he can showcase he can fill that secondary playmaker role in a lineup that will drive up his value, kinda like in the Deni range to me (11-16).
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 910

Post#11 » by retrobro90 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:49 pm

I don't quite see how he's a step slower than most guys with his body type that play the 4. At least enough for it to be a big concern. He's obviously gonna be someone who can function as a decent shot blocker too so I don't see him being a pure negative on that end. His performance on D today was a far cry to guys like Rui/Toppin who were lotto selections. What did bother me was his lazy telegraphed passes. Some of the turnovers he had today were innocent ones where he's trying to keep the ball in bounds etc but there were two specific live ball TOs that made me say yuck. Sometimes I get poor body language signals from him too but hard to quantify that as it's purely speculative. He was good vibes by the end of the game.

His grab n go potential could be truly lethal though. When he's forced to not be passive he's really impressive ripping it end to end and making plays. He had an impressive drive in the half court too that led to a kick out for a Steward 3. I think he needs to show a bigger arsenal when it comes to his creating his own shot for me to put him in the high lotto right now. A lot of his buckets today were on put backs and tip ins etc. I don't think that's tenable in the NBA for someone his size.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#12 » by CptCrunch » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:15 am

Jalen Johnson will be a top 5 pick imo.

Players like him simply don't come along often. Even if his foot speed isn't that great or he can't jump 35+ inches, legit PF sized players who can bring the ball up and not have a broken shot is like a beyond rare. We aren't talking about SF type players who bulk up to play PF later in their career.

His frame looks thick with those nice wide shoulders. Just reminds you physically of The Candy Man
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#13 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:58 am

Either than that.

Jesus man you are low on JJ, he is a top15 prospect pretty clearly and unless he **** it up off-the-court or with interviews he is def going to go lotto/top15

Steward is a very good prospect and def 1st round worth it with his quicks, off-ball play and in game understanding

Coleman and Brakefield I like too but they won't come out this year, Moore is just bad and doesn't make sense in such a big role, Hurt prob will have a nice career in Europe

Roach I think is also not a OAD guy, but prob does make it in the league and ends up solid
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#14 » by hcsilla » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:44 am

Fantastic performance from Jalen Johnson.

Based on this game he reminds me of the more athletic version of prime-time Boris Diaw.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#15 » by nicnac215 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:53 pm

hcsilla wrote:Fantastic performance from Jalen Johnson.

Based on this game he reminds me of the more athletic version of prime-time Boris Diaw.

Boris Diaw was really athletic in his prime
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#16 » by hcsilla » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 pm

nicnac215 wrote:

Not really.

He was a bit slow-footed combo F with limited lift.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#17 » by nicnac215 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:35 pm

hcsilla wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:

Not really.

He broke the Sun’s vertical record barefoot. Don’t confuse fat Boris and athletic Boris
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#18 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:35 pm

Good test for JJ tonight. Expect to see thread jumping.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
clyde21
RealGM

Post#19 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 11:08 pm

nicnac215 wrote:
hcsilla wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:Boris Diaw was really athletic in his prime

Not really.

He broke the Sun’s vertical record barefoot. Don’t confuse fat Boris and athletic Boris

being slow footed has nothing to do with verticals tho
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#20 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:24 am

I like Seward more in his second year than his first. He would be much better coming out in his second year. Maybe he proves himself later in the season.

Return to NBA Draft