ImageImageImageImageImage

Nic Batum To Sign w/ Clippers After Clearing Waivers

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 147

Nic Batum To Sign w/ Clippers After Clearing Waivers 

Post#1 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:03 am

Nicolas Batum plans to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers after he clears waivers, sources tell The Athletic NBA & The Stadium.
The Hornets waived Batum on Sunday.

Source: https://www.nba.com/news/hornets-waive-forwards-nicolas-batum-ray-spalding
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Re: Nic Batum To Sign w/ Clippers After Clearing Waivers 

Post#2 » by illastrate » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 am

That would explain why they were quiet for a whole week. Probably had a gentlemen's agreement with Batum once waived. If healthy, he's the backup wing they needed.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 147

Batum To Sign w/ Clippers After Clearing Waivers 

Post#3 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:41 am

illastrate wrote:That would explain why they were quiet for a whole week. Probably had a gentlemen's agreement with Batum once waived. If healthy, he's the backup wing they needed.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I wonder if Lawrence and Jerry have some more good transfer moves in the back pocket...
RonMexico915
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#4 » by RonMexico915 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 am

Not bad. Just not sure how much better this makes the team. Still behind the Lakers and a healthy Warriors
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#5 » by Clemenza » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:40 am

RonMexico915 wrote:Not bad. Just not sure how much better this makes the team. Still behind the Lakers and a healthy Warriors

Behind the Lakers how? DHoward, Rondo>> Gasol, Trez, Matthews, Schredor

And the Warriors are expected to fight for the 7th and 8ths seed.
clips4ever
Junior
And1: 498

Post#6 » by clips4ever » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:45 am

RonMexico915 wrote:Not bad. Just not sure how much better this makes the team. Still behind the Lakers and a healthy Warriors

Behind the Warriors??
And I think Lakers might be better in regular season but it is undeniable that their team defense took a hit in the playoffs, I feel confident going up against them without Dwight, Javale and Rondo.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#7 » by nickhx2 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:15 am

this team has improved tremendously and still has a ways to go. if we can make a lou for hill trade we'll be sitting quite pretty.

i think the lakers regressed and the warriors are not the warriors of yore.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#8 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:15 am

Batum info: he is the gm of a french basketball team a competitive one. This is probably a reason why Batum looked so uninterested in Carolina. Hopefully the contention will change his mind otherwise this will be another Hedo Turkoglu move.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
BlueNGold
Sophomore
And1: 236

Post#9 » by BlueNGold » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Clemenza wrote:

:crazy:
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#10 » by TheNewEra » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Good addition still need more moves
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 980

Post#11 » by clipperlover » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:30 pm

Hope they aren't spending more than the league minimum. he isn't any better than any player we could get off the street.

Go out and grab Ty Walllace and Thornwell. Let's see how they play with PG and Kawhi.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,890

Post#12 » by ejftw » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Clemenza wrote:

Prior to the Marc news, I thought the Lakers really messed up letting Dwight walk. As it stands, I think the Marc move puts them right back on top in power rankings. Also, despite HGH usage, father time will also kick in
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#13 » by og15 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:21 am

He could be good, he could be trash, those are basically the options. He has had some injuries slow him down, but has also let himself go. Let's hope for a rejuvenation.

Clemenza wrote:

Gasol's impact outpaces his statistical output, and to cover Dwight's minutes, he will be playing 19 mpg, I can't say I consider Dwight "better", he could be better for certain needs, sure. Trez is replacing McGee, different players and skills, but I think at the minimum you can exact similar impact, but in different ways. Schroder will give them more energy in the regular season, he's obviously not the passer and playmaker that Rondo is, but he's much better defensively than people realize, and at least last season he was an efficient offensive player.

These were good moves for the Lakers on paper. Trez fits much better on that team defensively than he does on the Clippers because of AD and Gasol who allow him to play at the 4 without the paint being clogged. Of course we'll have to see how they bring it all together.

The Warriors on the other hand don't have a "healthy" anymore with Klay out for the season.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#14 » by TheNewEra » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:59 am

So it should become official tomorrow?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#15 » by esqtvd » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:06 am

clipperlover wrote:Hope they aren't spending more than the league minimum. he isn't any better than any player we could get off the street.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2020-11-30/clippers-nicolas-batum-free-agent-hornets

Yet even if Batum is no longer the player who shot better than league average from deep five times in his first six seasons, his career 35.7% three-point shooting suggests an ability to keep defenses honest — and not only because of his shooting. Batum isn’t turnover-prone, and his assist-to-pass percentage last season ranked second for Charlotte and would have ranked fifth for the Clippers.

JaMychal Green, the versatile forward who left for Denver in free agency and essentially would be the man Batum is replacing, was valued for his versatility. Batum doesn’t have Green’s ruggedness to hang defensively with centers. (Offensively, Green was also a superior three-point shooter in recent seasons.) Still, Batum’s 7-foot wingspan allows him to defend multiple positions around the perimeter.

Batum signed at the league minimum. J-Myke never did a thing for me and he just signed with the Nugs for $7M/yr. IMO, JaMychal only took care of his numbers and disappeared for long stretches and sometimes for entire games.

I can't remember when he won us a game. And if he did, it wasn't a memorable game or else I'd remember it. :wink: Looks like we just replaced 75% of him at 25% of the price. I'm good.

Go out and grab Ty Walllace and Thornwell. Let's see how they play with PG and Kawhi.

I just wrote a rather discouraging post on T-Mann's future but I think he's already better than them. I wish Ty and especially Sin well because they gave us their all but they can't play the point or shoot the 3, which is why they're out of the league. Mann can do some of each plus he has a better NBA body.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#16 » by esqtvd » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:14 am

ejftw wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

Prior to the Marc news, I thought the Lakers really messed up letting Dwight walk. As it stands, I think the Marc move puts them right back on top in power rankings. Also, despite HGH usage, father time will also kick in

I didn't bother to post it, but Gasol's numbers were dogspit in the bubble--both the 8 game mini-season and the playoffs. If everybody here thinks Trezz is garbage for doing the same, Gasol turns 36 in January. Not to worry. ;-)
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,890

Post#17 » by ejftw » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:32 am

If we do end up trading Lou for a PG, I'd love to snag Allonzo Trier to be our third string PG
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,996

Post#18 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:21 pm

Nice addition to your team and should provide positive leadership. Congrats

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#19 » by og15 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:17 pm

esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:Hope they aren't spending more than the league minimum. he isn't any better than any player we could get off the street.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2020-11-30/clippers-nicolas-batum-free-agent-hornets

Yet even if Batum is no longer the player who shot better than league average from deep five times in his first six seasons, his career 35.7% three-point shooting suggests an ability to keep defenses honest — and not only because of his shooting. Batum isn’t turnover-prone, and his assist-to-pass percentage last season ranked second for Charlotte and would have ranked fifth for the Clippers.

JaMychal Green, the versatile forward who left for Denver in free agency and essentially would be the man Batum is replacing, was valued for his versatility. Batum doesn’t have Green’s ruggedness to hang defensively with centers. (Offensively, Green was also a superior three-point shooter in recent seasons.) Still, Batum’s 7-foot wingspan allows him to defend multiple positions around the perimeter.

Batum signed at the league minimum. J-Myke never did a thing for me and he just signed with the Nugs for $7M/yr. IMO, JaMychal only took care of his numbers and disappeared for long stretches and sometimes for entire games.

I can't remember when he won us a game. And if he did, it wasn't a memorable game or else I'd remember it. :wink: Looks like we just replaced 75% of him at 25% of the price. I'm good.

Batum is more skilled, yes, but health and fitness are the deal. As long as last season was an outlier and not a sign of things to come in terms of his health and play, he's a better player than Green, but not better at C obviously. Right now all we can say is "we'll see"
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#20 » by og15 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:19 pm

He got waived, so Charlotte is still paying him. They stretched him I believe for like $9M a year for the next three seasons, so it's unlikely a player in that situation asks for more than the minimum, which he did not.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers