PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#841 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:12 am

Jesus christ lol man got schmacked
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#842 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Did Nate Robinson ever wake up?
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#843 » by freethedevil » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:05 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:Jesus christ lol man got schmacked

This should hve suprised no one.
Firebird1
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#844 » by Firebird1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:53 pm

Im still playing 2k20.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#845 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:44 pm

Firebird1 wrote:Im still playing 2k20.

Waiting for the ps5

Played 48 minute games with the roomates and got nice with it but online input delay is too much
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#846 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:45 pm

freethedevil wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:Jesus christ lol man got schmacked

This should hve suprised no one.

I didnt think he would win

But i didnt think he would naruto run into him for a round and a half

Firebird1
Sophomore

Post#847 » by Firebird1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:04 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:

Waiting for the ps5

Played 48 minute games with the roomates and got nice with it but online input delay is too much
Me too. I usually play on MyTeam 2k20. Lots of fun especially if you have a mic and can talk to random strangers (LOL!). Only thing I dislike is that it requires money to even have a decent opal card ugh!!
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#848 » by Odinn21 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 7:01 pm

Man I'm so f'ing tilted over the last F1 GP. Mercedes... There are not enough words to cuss out properly.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#849 » by Jaivl » Sun Dec 6, 2020 10:29 pm

Eminence wrote:.

What about that Valencia half-marathon though? 8-)
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Post#850 » by eminence » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:17 am

Jaivl wrote:
Eminence wrote:.

What about that Valencia half-marathon though? 8-)

I need to watch it, but those times are crazy.
I bought a boat.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#851 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:01 pm

Firebird1 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:

Waiting for the ps5

Me too. I usually play on MyTeam 2k20. Lots of fun especially if you have a mic and can talk to random strangers (LOL!). Only thing I dislike is that it requires money to even have a decent opal card ugh!!

Input lag literally hurts me on a spiritual level so i hate online 2k lol

Damn defenders dont go where i tell them too, offline ngl 2k gets alot of hate but its so goated, curious how next gen gonna feel

Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#852 » by Odinn21 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 8:07 pm

I'll be stepping away from the message board in a week or so, don't know for much or if indefinitely. It's been a great run mates, cheers.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Firebird1
Sophomore

Post#853 » by Firebird1 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:31 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Firebird1 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Waiting for the ps5

Damn defenders dont go where i tell them too, offline ngl 2k gets alot of hate but its so goated, curious how next gen gonna feel
Huh. Lag doesn't affect me as much. I usually run the 2013 heat playbook. I run heat 2013 playbook and 2018 hawks freelance (essentially 5-out).

Im grinding for GOAT larry bird. Currently done with 2 out of the 5 finals spotlight sims. Should be fun once i got him.
eminence
RealGM

Post#854 » by eminence » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:09 pm

Odinn21 wrote:I'll be stepping away from the message board in a week or so, don't know for much or if indefinitely. It's been a great run mates, cheers.

G'luck out there in the real world!
I bought a boat.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#855 » by MyUniBroDavis » Tue Dec 8, 2020 6:52 pm

Firebird1 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Firebird1 wrote: Me too. I usually play on MyTeam 2k20. Lots of fun especially if you have a mic and can talk to random strangers (LOL!). Only thing I dislike is that it requires money to even have a decent opal card ugh!!

Huh. Lag doesn't affect me as much. I usually run the 2013 heat playbook. I run heat 2013 playbook and 2018 hawks freelance (essentially 5-out).

Im grinding for GOAT larry bird. Currently done with 2 out of the 5 finals spotlight sims. Should be fun once i got him.

My playbook consistes of R2+ hold square

Occasionally R2+Right analog stick backward to sauce

We do 48 minute series and fantast drafts (2k20) and we literally have it down to a science at this point lol, In terms of who to pick

Kobe/giannis/wilt all are so stupidly OP, its hilarious

Giannis with takeover just autodunks

Wilt had 22 blocks for me once

And kobe is just in another dimension lmfao idk why hes ten times better than bron and jordan combined at dunking in 2k

Firebird1
Sophomore

Post#856 » by Firebird1 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 11:48 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Firebird1 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:Input lag literally hurts me on a spiritual level so i hate online 2k lol

We do 48 minute series and fantast drafts (2k20) and we literally have it down to a science at this point lol, In terms of who to pick

And kobe is just in another dimension lmfao idk why hes ten times better than bron and jordan combined at dunking in 2k
Giannis is a cheatcode in 2k like irl. :lol: Its cool that you guys hold drafts and series. :nod:

I really hate the rebounding in 2k20. Im like "rebound idiots!"
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#857 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:16 am

Firebird1 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Firebird1 wrote: Huh. Lag doesn't affect me as much. I usually run the 2013 heat playbook. I run heat 2013 playbook and 2018 hawks freelance (essentially 5-out).

Giannis is a cheatcode in 2k like irl. :lol: Its cool that you guys hold drafts and series. :nod:

I really hate the rebounding in 2k20. Im like "rebound idiots!"

Wilt genuinly breaks the game with his rebounding sometimes Mans literally had a few games with

20-40-5-15 statlines, his rim protection is actually broken he blocks everything

So when i get wilt and yao its pretty jokes because then i put a literall great wall of china behind hkm that for skme reason can drvie

Also zion catches every oop and its hilarious, when we play reg teams i had a game where i only scored off of oops it was insane

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,431

Post#858 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:22 pm

I see conversations about college, so as a high school teacher I thought I'd join in. I'm going to share my perspective while noting up front that the perspective of younger people is something I value.

What I see is a massive systemic problem that has its roots in a few things pertaining to employment:

1. At least in the US, we have an overarching cultural ontology defining ourselves through our employment. "If you don't have a job, there's something wrong with you." This isn't just a curse against the unemployed during their working years, but a massive source of unhappiness for men after they retire if they don't get involved in some form of volunteering that they can take pride in.

2. This has caused us specifically to look at creating employment through government works with suspicion. While many of us are still working for the government, many industries have been privatized, and other forms of infrastructure building have just stopped.

3. Employment through private industries then becomes the route most championed, and this is a problem because the goal of such corporations is not to provide employment, which is a cost, but to maximize profit. When technological innovation allows them to get more done with less workers, the working class gets squeezed.

4. When the working class gets squeezed companies have their pick of the litter and they tend to put qualifications in jobs that are not necessary simply to reduce the amount of human resources work is required. A major criteria they've put in is a college degree. Any college degree. They don't care what you learn, they care that you successfully navigated through a gauntlet others did not, and thus are on average more competent than those without degrees. The sad truth is that this assumption is true more than it is false, and thus it works for the companies even though it results in a students competing like mad to get into and get through college, the more prestigious the better.

5. This in turn has led to massive student loans burying the young generation from the start.

6. What we get then is a situation where it's not that generic college degrees are worthless, as they are largely a requirement in order to gain access to most high paying jobs, but that the degree itself guarantees nothing. It's merely going to open the first door for you, but there are other doors you must learn to navigate to outcompete the others at the same door.

7. Obviously STEM majors have it a bit better in this front, but don't fool yourself into thinking you won't encounter a milder version of the same problem, and do understand that if you want to climb up the ranks, the skills you need will have more in common with an English major than Engineering major.

8. If you're in the US, because of our privatized health care system, companies are realizing that it makes more and more sense to higher a part-time work force, because then they don't have to pay for the costs our society has decided a citizen's employer should pay for rather than the government. And because they now have ample access to workers, in this age of greater productivity (more work done by less people), they don't have to choose whether to give you the good job or someone else. They can just make you split it, giving both of you the crappy job.

And now the effects on education:

1. The college/university system was intended to be for liberal arts, not vocational training, but at a certain point it became less about what it taught and more about this notion that "College is the best education". This happened because in the past only the elites got this sort of education and thus in the name of equality we tried to make it so that every citizen had a path toward the same opportunity.

2. At the tertiary (college) level, they embraced this. I would personally say they effectively sold their soul. They built out programs based on whatever people wanted without a notion of managing the supply of workers (Medical Schools being a notable exception to this). Contrary to popular belief, the big beneficiaries of this were obscure fields in the humanities but STEM programs. I mean, MIT exists basically to be a vocational counterpart to Harvard, but now Harvard has its own engineering programs. Why? Because even Harvard got on board with the trend.

3. At the secondary level where I am, they responded by re-shaping their education output around college. This made sense based on how the populace thought, but it also has had some nasty downstream effects.

4. Goodbye vocational programs that cost a lot of money to maintain. I went to a crappy high school out in the country, and we had wood & metal shop in middle school, and wood, metal & auto shop in high school. I've taught at two superior high schools, neither have had a wood or metal shop, one still had the old auto shop in part because they still had their old teacher who was a pillar of the community. Why pay to upkeep this stuff when you could run an AP class for far cheaper and the odds of a student losing a finger are drastically less? (School districts are terrified of lawsuits and make policy to avoid even the possibility of one.)

5. Secondary education becomes more abstract. Kids aren't learning specific real-life skills, they are learning the next level of math before the next level after that. How do they respond? An epidemic of poor morale. You get a small fraction who can succeed without great effort, you get another chunk with exceptional motivation - often induced by overbearing parents, and then you get everyone else going through taking class after class where they are told they aren't good enough but have to keep taking anyway, because "We're all going to go to college! Yay!".

6. Kids get frustrated, and act out. The school begins to resemble a police state as administration tries to maintain control, and teachers end up looking at the kids as a threat, get frustrated, burn out.

Where should we go from here?

Well, you can make up your own mind. I won't go too far into detail, but I'll tell you that this isn't anything that can actually get fixed by the educational system alone, so we're talking about a broader systemic shift which surely will involve your political beliefs.

I'll just say that it's really not that hard for me to think of systemic solutions, but they'll do no good without the buy-in of people in society on all levels. And of course, as I've said, we've all go poor morale right now because of the existing system, and this essentially makes us feel like whatever we try will fail. And if we believe we'll fail, we probably will.

Somehow we need people to become hopeful and optimistic again.

I'll end with this: I'm not better we're about to be more hopeful and optimistic, but I will say that a family member is a nurse who has her vaccine appointment schedule for later this month. As someone who might be called a scientist before I am attached to any political philosophy, my wish for 2021 is that the vaccine will succeed, and people will have a collective "Oh, that's why we use science, and that's why we need to rely on experts to do certain things, and maybe those people doing things I never bothered to learn or understand are actually trying to help."
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
eminence
RealGM

Post#859 » by eminence » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:This isn't just a curse against the unemployed during their working years, but a massive source of unhappiness for men after they retire if they don't get involved in some form of volunteering that they can take pride in.

Oof, this one spoke to me, my father got a pretty severe injury recently and it forced him into retirement in his early 50's and whew, has that been a headache to navigate with all the troubles it's caused him.
I bought a boat.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#860 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Been doing vert training and think i might be getting jumpers knee

Programs been fire though even though im butchering it, granted post injury and leg muscles were basically atrophied because of how lazy ive been during covid

Pjf performance is hella legit tho, completely butchered the program (cuz of time constraints) and kind of cut down on alot of the mobility work/strengthening work

2 weeks in

Max standing vert went from 22 inches to 27 inches
Max running vert, both single leg and doible leg were at around 24 inches and now theyre at 31

More importantly, surgury leg went from 15-18 inches to 27 :D

And skipping the weight training (mostly cuz bodyweight stuff sucks lol) was prolly a bad call, i realized how much my posterior chained weakened when i did light sprints and couldnt walk afterwards for 2 days

Pretty sure i can get 3-4 more inches off my running vert through just form tweaks, because of how long its been since ive jumped, and gettin dat zion butt. My actual strenfth is pathetically low (can barely squat half my bodyweifht) so the gap between my standing vert and running vert should be pretty substantial, but im pretty happy with the results

Prolly gonna rehab this week, some isometrics and low level pylos to help the tendon too

Return to Player Comparisons