2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:34 pm

Solid performance by Cade. He's just so strong and has a great feel. Side notes- I forgot how bad the camera angle is inside G-Iba arena. Almost has bad as those blue jerseys OSU wore.

Mobley didn't have a huge statistical game but he is so fluid on the court. His passing is very good.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#42 » by Old Man Game » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:21 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Solid performance by Cade. He's just so strong and has a great feel. Side notes- I forgot how bad the camera angle is inside G-Iba arena. Almost has bad as those blue jerseys OSU wore.

Mobley didn't have a huge statistical game but he is so fluid on the court. His passing is very good.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
What channel was that game on? I couldn't find it on YouTube tv.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#43 » by namlede » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Was on espn+, online only

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#44 » by Old Man Game » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:20 pm

namlede wrote:Was on espn+, online only

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
Oh. Typical.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:26 am

Boston is a great talent but he’s still pretty raw compared to a guy like Cade. If he dropped a little bit because of that and as a result of being at UK, it would t surprise me.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Old Man Game » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:00 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Boston is a great talent but he’s still pretty raw compared to a guy like Cade. If he dropped a little bit because of that and as a result of being at UK, it would t surprise me.

I watched the second half of their game against Richmond today. It took me forever to even figure out who Boston was. Getting strong Kevin Knox vibes there.

I like Coach Cal, but I'm starting to wonder how much he really coaches at this point. Richmond, senior laden, but otherwise a team of nobodies just thoroughly outclassed them.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Boston is a great talent but he’s still pretty raw compared to a guy like Cade. If he dropped a little bit because of that and as a result of being at UK, it would t surprise me.

I watched the second half of their game against Richmond today. It took me forever to even figure out who Boston was. Getting strong Kevin Knox vibes there.

I like Coach Cal, but I'm starting to wonder how much he really coaches at this point. Richmond, senior laden, but otherwise a team of nobodies just thoroughly outclassed them.

Cal seems to have made his name as being a guy who recruits with the main purpose of helping guys get to the league. The success of the program is almost secondary. We've seen examples of some guys that have been better than expected like Murray and Booker. Of course we've also seen Diallo and Knox. Boston is built like Ingram. He has a lot of tools. His shot selection hasn't impressed me.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm wondering what happens if the pandemic gets out of control and the current teams records aren't conclusive enough to determine a draft order.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Old Man Game » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:57 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I'm wondering what happens if the pandemic gets out of control and the current teams records aren't conclusive enough to determine a draft order.

Are there alternative plans in place? Like is a COVID explosion going to trigger a return to the bubble or something?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I'm wondering what happens if the pandemic gets out of control and the current teams records aren't conclusive enough to determine a draft order.

Are there alternative plans in place? Like is a COVID explosion going to trigger a return to the bubble or something?

I was listening to the athletic podcast and said that based upon the protocols in place and how the schedule is being released in two parts, the NBA may be hedging their bets on a vaccine becoming available soon. So to answer your question, not really.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#51 » by Old Man Game » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:38 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

I was listening to the athletic podcast and said that based upon the protocols in place and how the schedule is being released in two parts, the NBA may be hedging their bets on a vaccine becoming available soon. So to answer your question, not really.

Well, Dr. Fauci had publicly stated vaccine could be available to the general public by April so maybe its not as far fetched as one might imagine. Long term care residents and healthcare professionals will begin getting it sometime after an FDA advisory panel meets on the 10th to consider the emergency use authorization for the Pfizer vaccine. Thereafter the moderna EUA will be considered, expected by the 17th. It is expected by the end of December up to 22.5 million doses could be available in the U.S. between those two vaccines which would be enough for healthcare and long term care facility residents. Next group, first responders, third group, 65 and older and vulnerable from underlying conditions. Finally, general public in 4th. (Sorry I don't have cites for all of this but I've pieced it all together from news reports recently).
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#52 » by retrobro90 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:06 am

Don't watch this if you are like me and need to stop obsessing over Jalen Suggs this early.

Seriously though I'm finding it hard to see a weakness on this kid. Great athlete, great IQ, shot looks compact and quick. Competes hard and plays with energy. I know Cade's got the size and I've watched him dominate on the U19 stage but Suggs to me right now looks like the guy. Doesn't help Cade's case that he's on a much worse team but Suggs' energy and bounce that he plays with is infectious. Cade's even temper comes across as aloof house cat energy sometimes. Idk it's still early like I said but I'm not afraid to go out on a non-controversial limb and say I'm a big time Suggs fan.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:18 pm

Spoiler:
retrobro90 wrote:

Don't watch this if you are like me and need to stop obsessing over Jalen Suggs this early.

Seriously though I'm finding it hard to see a weakness on this kid. Great athlete, great IQ, shot looks compact and quick. Competes hard and plays with energy. I know Cade's got the size and I've watched him dominate on the U19 stage but Suggs to me right now looks like the guy. Doesn't help Cade's case that he's on a much worse team but Suggs' energy and bounce that he plays with is infectious. Cade's even temper comes across as aloof house cat energy sometimes. Idk it's still early like I said but I'm not afraid to go out on a non-controversial limb and say I'm a big time Suggs fan.

I was kind of skeptical that he was just an athletic ball hog guard but he's much more skilled than I thought. He's really good at finishing through contact. His release is fast. I'm really impressed with him. It's nice that it feels like this draft isn't make or break if we don't get pick number one.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#54 » by thedoppelganger » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:30 pm

Full day of top 20 prospects playing - Texas, UNC, Stanford all playing in the Maui tournament this afternoon, with UK and Duke each playing in the Champions Classic tonight. Oklahoma State faces Marquette tonight as well which should be a good test for Cade.

Was able to watch some of Ziaire Williams first game for Stanford yesterday, and he definitely has quality shot mechanics and vision for his size, but you can tell he's still growing into his frame with how easily he was walled off on any dribble penetration. Between him, Mobley, and Suggs I'm glad there's a reason to stay up to watch some west coast games this year.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:22 pm

thedoppelganger wrote:Full day of top 20 prospects playing - Texas, UNC, Stanford all playing in the Maui tournament this afternoon, with UK and Duke each playing in the Champions Classic tonight. Oklahoma State faces Marquette tonight as well which should be a good test for Cade.

Was able to watch some of Ziaire Williams first game for Stanford yesterday, and he definitely has quality shot mechanics and vision for his size, but you can tell he's still growing into his frame with how easily he was walled off on any dribble penetration. Between him, Mobley, and Suggs I'm glad there's a reason to stay up to watch some west coast games this year.

I didn’t watch the game but smith’s highlights were pretty impressive. I would like to see Cade be a little more assertive this game.

mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#56 » by mr570 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:32 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
retrobro90 wrote:

I was kind of skeptical that he was just an athletic ball hog guard but he's much more skilled than I thought. He's really good at finishing through contact. His release is fast. I'm really impressed with him. It's nice that it feels like this draft isn't make or break if we don't get pick number one.

Everyone says he looks like Derrick Rose. He looks like Derrick Rose. :o
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#57 » by retrobro90 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:46 pm

mr570 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
retrobro90 wrote:

That might be pushing it. Rose was in the 0.00000001% of athletes to ever play the PG position. Suggs has great athleticism but he's not in Rose's echelon imo. Will say Suggs' jumper looks much better at this stage. Rose was a two motion shooter with a really flat arc before he started to improve the past couple years as his athleticism waned. Similar to Westbrook I think both Russ/Rose just get too much elevation on their J and it makes their shoulders high/tight. I legitimately think Suggs can be a high level 3pt shooter at the next level given his mechanics and quick release.
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#58 » by mr570 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:15 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
mr570 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:

That might be pushing it. Rose was in the 0.00000001% of athletes to ever play the PG position. Suggs has great athleticism but he's not in Rose's echelon imo. Will say Suggs' jumper looks much better at this stage. Rose was a two motion shooter with a really flat arc before he started to improve the past couple years as his athleticism waned. Similar to Westbrook I think both Russ/Rose just get too much elevation on their J and it makes their shoulders high/tight. I legitimately think Suggs can be a high level 3pt shooter at the next level given his mechanics and quick release.

Oh you're definitely right. Not near the athleticism of Rose. I don't know enough about shooting mechanics to form my own opinion but your comment in that regard makes sense. I just think that the way Suggs attacks a defense is very similar to Rose. His passing, how he plays the pick and roll. Stylistically, they look very similar to me. But again I'm not a draft guy like you or getrichordie are.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:00 pm

I just don’t see much that Mobley doesn’t do well.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#60 » by retrobro90 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 2:38 am

ThunderBolt wrote:I just don’t see much that Mobley doesn’t do well.

Agreed. He's a 7ft'er that's got everything on offense outside of KD level handles. Awesome touch and great passer. Protects the rim. Probably gonna get brutalized and massacred by the Embiid's and Jokic's of the world but he's just too nimble and skilled to be a bust imo.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder