NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Re: Welcome Jalen Smith! 

Post#141 » by NTB » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:59 pm

matt131 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter
Barely recognize him without his glasses. I hope he still wears them in the NBA. They are are honestly really cool and can be his trademark look

(Weird connection here, but those glasses remind me of Rodrigo Blankenship's glasses. He is a rookie kicker for the Colts who I think currently leads the NFL on points scored and is performing super well as a rookie. Hopefully Jalen Smith can be as good his rookie year!)

He said he is gonna continue wearing them.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#142 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:48 pm

NTB wrote:
matt131 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter
Barely recognize him without his glasses. I hope he still wears them in the NBA. They are are honestly really cool and can be his trademark look

(Weird connection here, but those glasses remind me of Rodrigo Blankenship's glasses. He is a rookie kicker for the Colts who I think currently leads the NFL on points scored and is performing super well as a rookie. Hopefully Jalen Smith can be as good his rookie year!)

Fine. But if losing them and getting surgery or contacts helps his play, they need to go.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#143 » by NTB » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:54 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
NTB wrote:
matt131 wrote:Barely recognize him without his glasses. I hope he still wears them in the NBA. They are are honestly really cool and can be his trademark look

Fine. But if losing them and getting surgery or contacts helps his play, they need to go.

Goggles or not I don't care. I just want to see a good player.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#144 » by NTB » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:28 pm

Read on Twitter
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#145 » by bigfoot » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:23 am

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,462

Post#146 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:53 am

bigfoot wrote:

:o Now if he can only add some of that muscle mass and tone to those legs too. It would be kind of cool to have a dynamic offensive ( Ayton) Defensive ( Smith) twin towers duo compliment for our frontcourt. :nod:
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Re: Welcome Jalen Smith! No 

Post#147 » by jcsunsfan » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:03 am

bigfoot wrote:

Skipping leg day I see. I know that looks impressive but to guys who lift seriously, that dude has a huge imbalance between his upper and lower body. It’s not good.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#148 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:10 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

Skipping leg day I see. I know that looks impressive but to guys who lift seriously, that dude has a huge imbalance between his upper and lower body. It’s not good.

Anyone who lifts even semi seriously should know Squats are easily the most important. Then probably deadlifts and cleans.

With long legs though and with trainers I imagine he has done squats, but it probably takes a lot longer to build up your legs and arms when 6'10. Muscles below the knees are even tougher to build.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#149 » by matt131 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

Anyone who lifts even semi seriously should know Squats are easily the most important. Then probably deadlifts and cleans.

With long legs though and with trainers I imagine he has done squats, but it probably takes a lot longer to build up your legs and arms when 6'10. Muscles below the knees are even tougher to build.
Not calling myself a body builder or a professional athlete or even someone who knows too much about this.

All I know is that I'm fairly tall and lanky, and dang it's hard to put "meat" on my lower body. My legs are just thin and it's super tough to add weight in general, let alone to my legs and especially my calves.

I can see gains in my chest and arms and shoulders fairly quickly (not massive, but slight improvements) but even with consistent days dedicated to lower body, I don't see much of a difference.

I'm sure Jalen has worked on it and will continue to as well. It's now his full time, paid job to exercise and work out. I imagine he'll make improvements. But I also imagine part of this is just genetics and overall body shape/type
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#150 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:56 pm

After watching a bit more about Jalen Smith I really like him, but I have a question for some of you who usually watch NCAA basketball...

Why Daniel Oturu got drafted at #33? I have watched his highlights and overall numbers and he is pretty similar to Jalen Smith as a player. He is around 6 months older, but other than that they look about the same as a long 6'10 PF/Cs who can score from 3 and are great shot blockers.

Oturu averaged 20 points, 11 boards and 2.5 blocks per game, shooting 37% from three but on just 1.7 attempts per game. He improved a lot from his freshman season too.

I will say it again... I really like Smith as our #10 pick, but I want to understand why Oturu got drafted that late in the draft being so similar (on theory) to him, and probably there is something that I don't know about Oturu (headcase, low motor, etc...). I am curious about which are the biggest differences between them.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#151 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:51 am

Saberestar wrote:After watching a bit more about Jalen Smith I really like him, but I have a question for some of you who usually watch NCAA basketball...

Why Daniel Oturu got drafted at #33? I have watched his highlights and overall numbers and he is pretty similar to Jalen Smith as a player. He is around 6 months older, but other than that they look about the same as a long 6'10 PF/Cs who can score from 3 and are great shot blockers.

Oturu averaged 20 points, 11 boards and 2.5 blocks per game, shooting 37% from three but on just 1.7 attempts per game. He improved a lot from his freshman season too.

I will say it again... I really like Smith as our #10 pick, but I want to understand why Oturu got drafted that late in the draft being so similar (on theory) to him, and probably there is something that I don't know about Oturu (headcase, low motor, etc...). I am curious about which are the biggest differences between them.

I think a lot of teams made a mistake. He is going to be a good player.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#152 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:58 am

matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#153 » by matt131 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:40 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Definitely seems like a cool guy. Should be really easy to root for him. Not sure what kind of impact he'll have in his first year, but you know he's going to try really hard. I like that he said he's ready for coach to cuss him out. Seems like he thrives with that tough love style of teaching (should bode well with Chris Paul as his PG). I hope he rubs off on Ayton with his maturity and that the two form some good competition in practice.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#154 » by suns12345 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 7:36 am

matt131 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Definitely seems like a cool guy. Should be really easy to root for him. Not sure what kind of impact he'll have in his first year, but you know he's going to try really hard. I like that he said he's ready for coach to cuss him out. Seems like he thrives with that tough love style of teaching (should bode well with Chris Paul as his PG). I hope he rubs off on Ayton with his maturity and that the two form some good competition in practice.

Is that girl replacing lindsey smith?
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#155 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Dec 5, 2020 5:19 am

They should ban every question that starts out with “How excited are you to ...”
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#156 » by Fo-Real » Sat Dec 5, 2020 4:31 pm

suns12345 wrote:
matt131 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Is that girl replacing lindsey smith?

I'd be ok with it.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#157 » by thamadkant » Sat Dec 5, 2020 5:57 pm

matt131 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Jalen Smith was raised in a military type discipline house hold because of his dad.

Ayton was raised by a poor family living in a shack.

You have to realize why they have different characters.

Secondly... Ayton has been praised for his work ethic during practices ever since college... And looking at Ayton's physique you can easily tell he doesn't need much motivation to work hard.

Both will compliment each other and is a good front court moving forward.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#158 » by bigfoot » Sat Dec 5, 2020 6:12 pm

thamadkant wrote:
matt131 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Jalen Smith was raised in a military type discipline house hold because of his dad.

Ayton was raised by a poor family living in a shack.

You have to realize why they have different characters.

Secondly... Ayton has been praised for his work ethic during practices ever since college... And looking at Ayton's physique you can easily tell he doesn't need much motivation to work hard.

Both will compliment each other and is a good front court moving forward.

Gotta train the body AND mind. Not sure Ayton has spent much time on the latter.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Re: Suns sign Creighton guard Ty-Shon Alexander 

Post#159 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,807

Re: Suns sign Creighton guard Ty-Shon Alexander 

Post#160 » by RedIndian » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:58 am