Barely Legal: The Vernon Carey Jr Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Vernon Carey Jr 

Post#101 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:56 am

316Hornets wrote:It's pretty eye opening if you compare Vernon and Zeller's college stats. They are identical in a lot of areas and I think they play the game in a similar way. Wouldn't surprise me if we look to move Zeller before the deadline if Vernon is able to hold his own.

I don’t see him to be anything like Cody at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#102 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:19 am

Zeller and Carey are complete polar opposites, Especially coming into the league. Carey is waaaaay more polished offensively. Zeller is a much better athlete and overall defender. Too bad we can't combine them
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#103 » by BlackOutBuzz » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:21 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
1. Correct?

2. Also if an undrafted FA signs a 2 year deal with a team then signs a 1 year deal with another team, is he still going to be a restricted FA at the end of the third year?

3. What about first rounders where the team declines the option years? Would they be restricted free agents for the next team that picks them up? Apologies for the interrogation haha.

1. Yes!

2. That's a pretty good question. The scenario you described isn't actually possible because all offer sheets have to be for at least two years. Players can be restricted multiple times though, but I'm not sure there's much info about a guy changing teams. I have to do some research, because a player coming off a one-year rookie contract could theoretically then be signed for two years and become restricted again after year 3. Just not sure that's actually happened.

3. If a team declines an option on a first round pick they're basically declining their right of first refusal. So that player will become unrestricted once his contract expires.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist

Post#104 » by BlackOutBuzz » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:23 am

Alright, who here is Dan Feldman? This article is basically what I was saying earlier about Carey's potentially record-setting contract, he even includes the same tweet from Bobby Marks about Tillman's contract.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/30/report-hornets-signing-no-32-pick-vernon-carey-jr-to-record-breaking-contract/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Hornets Picks by Year

BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist

Post#105 » by BlackOutBuzz » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:50 am

Carey's contract ends up having the second-biggest guaranteed money for a second rounder. Falls between Fernando and Tillman.

Read on Twitter

Hornets Picks by Year

316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#106 » by 316Hornets » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:01 am

:crazy:
Come on man, the stats showed Zeller and Carey Jr had an almost identical BPM, both offense and defense. Zeller actually had a slightly better true shooting percentage. I'm not saying their the exact same person, but to act like they don't relate at all is a flat out lie.

Both have similar wingspan, play with energy, good at boxing out, rebounds.

Sure, we can nitpick and say Zeller is a better free throw shooter and Carey is a better blocker. But they are pretty fking similar.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#107 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:06 am

316Hornets wrote::crazy:
Come on man, the stats showed Zeller and Carey Jr had an almost identical BPM, both offense and defense. Zeller actually had a slightly better true shooting percentage. I'm not saying their the exact same person, but to act like they don't relate at all is a flat out lie.

Sure, we can nitpick and say Zeller is a better free throw shooter and Carey is a better blocker. But they are pretty fking similar.

They are nothing alike, and play nothing alike. I've watched every single game Carey played in college.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by 316Hornets » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:19 am

"Arguably the best pure rebounder in the class Carey is someone willing to do the dirty work to come up with the ball. Not a tremendous leaper who can simply out-jump opponents, Carey is fundamentally sound on the glass and is disciplined when it comes to boxing out. His work on the defensive glass will end possessions and allow his teammates to get out and run and the second chance points he’ll get on the offensive glass will bring a smile to his coaching staff.

Even though he’s not much of a jumper Carey is a solid rim protector. He accomplishes this by having great anticipation and using verticality to bother offensive players. Carey’s frame is so wide and he’s so stoutly built that oftentimes drivers would just bounce off of him, and even though Carey wasn’t credited with a ton of blocks he was able to deter a lot of layups at the rim."

Nothing alike, riiiiiight....
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#109 » by LofJ » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:23 am

Cody was one of the best athletes of his class. Carey isn't a bad athlete, but at the same age Zeller outclassed him. He can't handle the ball, shoot, or rebound quite as well as Carey though.

I don't see much similarity between them other than the fact that both of them were dominant in college.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by 316Hornets » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:28 am

Zeller draft profile strengths:
Shows a willingness to battle in the post
Plays with great energy, a focused and intense competitor
Highly unselfish, team guy and a willing passer with good vision for a big
Shows solid ability to face up and knock down mid-range jumpshots … Displays good hands, rarely fumbles the ball …
Good rebounder, good technique, anticipation, getting low and boxing out … A solid defender.
great body control for a center, showing unusual ability to convert plays on the break …

Carey Jr draft profile strengths
Not afraid of playing physical and using his body to establish position and bang in the post
Plays with solid energy, sense of urgency, runs the floor hard, staying active
Good vision and passing skills, especially for a big
Lefty with decent touch and the potential to improve as a mid-range shooter
Averaged a solid 8.8 rebounds per game in just 25 mpg, showing solid ability to box out and seek out rebounds
Underrated athlete, with good coordination

nbadraft.net
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#111 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:28 am

LofJ wrote:Cody was one of the best athletes of his class. Carey isn't a bad athlete, but at the same age Zeller outclassed him. He can't handle the ball, shoot, or rebound quite as well as Carey though.

I don't see much similarity between them other than the fact that both of them were dominant in college.

Precisely
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by 316Hornets » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:33 am

You dudes are being biased as all heck. I'm not participating in a forum that wants to treat people like this. Later.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#113 » by DY_nasty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:44 am

nbadraft.net is the same site that said deshawn stevenson was the next jordan lmao
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#114 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:44 am

316Hornets wrote:You dudes are being biased as all heck. I'm not participating in a forum that wants to treat people like this. Later.

Ummmm. Ok. Im honestly not even sure how to reply to this.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#115 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:58 am

I'm just disagreeing with you. Mainly based on their athleticism and ability to get up and down the court. One is also a rim runner, and Carey is not that. Zeller is pretty good at guarding the pick and roll and Carey was abysmal in that at Duke. However, Carey has shown in very limited attempts he can shoot, and has a much better touch around the rim. Im not bashing either, just simply disagreeing with you. Sorry if you felt otherwise.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#116 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:52 am

316Hornets wrote::crazy:

I can’t work out if you’ve never watched Cody play, never watched Vernon play or never watched either of them play.

Which one is it?

B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#117 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:54 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:You dudes are being biased as all heck. I'm not participating in a forum that wants to treat people like this. Later.

Careful mate, this is just phase #1.

If this goes to phase #2 we’ll be heading into Misterglover territory!!

B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#118 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:05 am

BigSlam wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

LOL. Whew, that guy would have legitimately murdered me. No doubt.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#119 » by James Gatz » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:46 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

LOL. Whew, that guy would have legitimately murdered me. No doubt.

Woahhhhhhh! Forgot all about that. How many years ago did that happen?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,931

Post#120 » by JDR720 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:01 am

Maybe Carey can be a Greg Monroe type. That'd be good for a second rounder.

I don't think he is similar to Cody though.

Cody was an athletic scoring center in college, he used his quickness to beat others in the post and did a bunch of cuts to the rim. Now he had to transition into a defensive player because he isn't big enough to score in the post vs most NBA centers, and he also isn't a good shooter. He still does a lot of cuts, because he is very good at screening. Cody was and is still a good passer too.

Vernon is also a scoring big, but he isn't as athletic as Cody is. Cody had a 40 inch vertical and runs like a horse. Vernon is more of a classical post scoring center, who also rebounds better than Cody did. He is more likely to be able to have a similar-ish style as he did in college than Cody. He can still be used as a post scorer, he just needs to work on passing and defense.

TLDR:

Cody is an athletic defensive center, who cuts and screens on offense.

Vernon is an offensive, less athletic center who scores from the post and rebounds.

The other big guy we picked is more similar to Cody than Vernon is.

Return to Charlotte Hornets