Dennis Schröder: Starting job prerequisite for trade with Lakers

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Re: Dennis Schröder: Starting job prerequisite for trade with Lakers 

Post#21 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:35 am

This leaves an opening for a possible trade for a point guard. Def include Kuz and Horton Tucker Carlson for DRose.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
toodarkmark
Sophomore
And1: 483

Post#22 » by toodarkmark » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:26 am

Optms wrote:He's a starting caliber PG that only came off the bench last year because CP3 was not being paid max dollars to ride on the bench, and CP3 was just better anyway. If he wants to start, I don't see the problem. We already have our sixth man in Harrell.

Agreed. He's starting caliber PG. This weird "He has to come off the bench" thing is kind of insulting to him. He is a better player then Matthews, and that's who would start in front of him. Lebron is the PG, but he was matched up with SF's last year, while Green and KCP were in the backcourt. KCP starts, Lebron starts, AD starts, I say Marc Gasol starts, and Dennis starts. Harrell spells Lebron or Anthony or Gasol, as the 6th man, Caruso and Matthews are the first guards off of the bench, Kuzma comes in for whatever forward goes out, and Marckief. That's the 10 man roster.

Matthews starting in front of Dennis would not only piss Dennis off, but me as well. And it won't be Kuzma because you don't need Lebron guarding PG's at the beginning of the game.

So please people, let go of this Dennis needs to be a bench guy notion, because he should be a starter, and only won't be starting if things go poorly.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,835

Post#23 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:31 am

iamworthy wrote:Side note: this is a great problem to have...lol

Champagne problems. If the biggest issue we have this year is starting Schroder, a role he's had before and has had success, to keep him happy (spoiler: it won't), we're going to have another f'ing good season.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#24 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:43 am

iamworthy wrote:Side note: this is a great problem to have...lol

Yep.

Schröder is going to have to outplay Caruso for the starting job. AC started game 6 of the NBA finals for us at PG. He kicked ass. Welcome to LA, Dennis. Nothings free here.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#25 » by iamworthy » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:51 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:This leaves an opening for a possible trade for a point guard. Def include Kuz and Horton Tucker Carlson for DRose.

How dare you put THT in a trade!
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#26 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:15 am

iamworthy wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:This leaves an opening for a possible trade for a point guard. Def include Kuz and Horton Tucker Carlson for DRose.

Rather him than AC
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#27 » by iamworthy » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:56 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
iamworthy wrote:

Rather him than AC

True.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#28 » by loveshaq786 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:14 am

iamworthy wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:
iamworthy wrote:

Rather him than AC

True.

Detroit:
Kuz and beans or GTFO lol
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#29 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:05 am

iamworthy wrote:Have you guys heard about this? LakerFilmRoom tweeted out an interview Dennis did in Germany and apparently one of the prerequisites for trade was a promised starting roll. I don't know how I feel about this.

Edit:. Added link

Read on Twitter
?s=21

As a player under contract that is traded he really isn't in a position to make any demands, but prior to the trade they could have had discussions about him wanting to start with the Lakers, which is fine. Who knows.

Honestly, i think he probably are going to be closing in a lot of games so there's no reason why he shouldn't start in my opinion. The other options at the 1 we have (KCP, Caruso, THT) aren't exactly real point guards in my opinion.

Unless we sign another back-up 5, which would put AD at the 4 full-time, i think i would start with the lineup that i expect will be closing in the playoffs, which is:
Schroeder-KCP-Wes-Lebron-AD
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#30 » by kblo247 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:51 am

So address these elephants for me ...

Rose is a worse defender than Kuz, but you want him here? Rose also isn’t wing size so who you replacing Kuz with?

Rose played with big media in NY and left for mental health reasons because the press got to him. How does he handle LA media? How does he handle a fandom Danny Green said got to him with their constant criticism despite Danny playing for pop and being a champion, long before the death threats and bubble struggles?

Rose played with Bron in Cleveland. He called playing with him weird. He was so mentally fried he left the team trying to deal with Bron and Wade and the attention they brought as well as Bron being passive aggressive. Does that magically change when Bron is a Laker, chasing Kobe’s ring count next year, and with the fact the team losing means he go get blame for not being Rondo?

Rose also does not want a trade. Minny offered him one and he said no. Detroit offered him one last year or a buyout like Kieff and he said no. He liked the obscurity and lack of scrutiny and just playing ball. So if he doesn’t want to move and he’s had mental health issues, health issues, defensive issues, and Lebron issues ... what makes you want him?
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#31 » by kblo247 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:55 am

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Have you guys heard about this? LakerFilmRoom tweeted out an interview Dennis did in Germany and apparently one of the prerequisites for trade was a promised starting roll. I don't know how I feel about this.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

As a player under contract that is traded he really isn't in a position to make any demands, but prior to the trade they could have had discussions about him wanting to start with the Lakers, which is fine. Who knows.

Honestly, i think he probably are going to be closing in a lot of games so there's no reason why he shouldn't start in my opinion. The other options at the 1 we have (KCP, Caruso, THT) aren't exactly real point guards in my opinion.

Unless we sign another back-up 5, which would put AD at the 4 full-time, i think i would start with the lineup that i expect will be closing in the playoffs, which is:

So you are going to force AD to play the 5 despite seeing that him playing most the 4 got him to the playoffs healthy enough to be a 5?

So you are going to play Bron as your 4 despite Bron not liking playing the 4 doing the year?

So you are going to not start Marc despite Marc being a top 5 defensive big in the league last year and better than both Dwight and Javale on that end by a large margin?
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#32 » by lazybatman » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:22 am

I loved the confidence and maturity he did these interviews with. Knows how he wants to make an impact on Offense and Defense. Embraces AD+Lebron's leadership and shows the zeal to win. He basically said "You may be Walmart / McD, but I'm a f*cking Manager and I make 80k for a reason. I'm not a fresh college grad who'll work the cash register anymore. You can hire a college grad if that's what you need."

Why the f*ck not? He averaged 19-4-4 and played great defense last season and helped drag the biggest underdog team to the playoffs and lose a tight 7 game series to one of the better teams in the league.. When someone else on the team does more, they can ask for his role, but for now, he owns it. The way I see it, that confidence, comes an inherent responsibility to deliver, which he isn't afraid or confused about. I'd rather have him than a clueless Melo / Wiggins / Lavine / Derozan kinda one dimensional guys.

Schroeder and Harrell should both play more than 30-35 mins a night, hopefully tapering off Lebron to an easy 28-30 mins a night - 18-12-8 kinda statline this season with the much improved offensive personnel.

His fit next to Lebron is an absolute non issue -
- Lebron has wanted to play with him for a long time.
- Old man Lebron looks for a second ball handler, or forces guys like Bradley, Green and KCP to bring it up.
- His best partner in crime before AD, has been Kyrie Irving, who is a dominant primary ball handler, who'd often end games with 'zero' assists. Lebron absolutely loved playing with Kyrie, despite the lack of defense.
- Lebron is the most adaptable player to have ever played the game. He's probably looking forward to having Schroeder and Caruso develop and take the burden off his shoulders.
- If they both play 30 mins, they're bound to overlap at least 12 minutes, and I wouldn't mind it those were the first 6 and the final 6 minutes.

I hope Harrell feels the same way honestly. I don't feel either is a dumb loser like Dwight or pre-Blazers Melo to not be reasonable about what suits the team more at a later point, but these two guys earned the right to feel that way last year.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,243

Post#33 » by heezyo2o » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:29 am

Nothing wrong with Schroder wanting to start, but I doubt that plays any role in what the coaches are thinking. As everyone says, Lebron handles the ball so Schroder will be more effective running point for the 2nd unit. Who else is going to run PnR with Harrell. The Lou/Harrell pick and roll was very effective for the clips and no reason this version can't be with the lakers next season.

Schroder should be more concerned if he's closing out games...which I think will be dependent on his defense.
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by lazybatman » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:32 am

loveshaq786 wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Rather him than AC

True.

Detroit:
Kuz and beans or GTFO lol

I'm not even doing AC / THT straight up for D. Rose.

Relax, we'll get a back up PG around the deadline for free.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,243

Post#35 » by heezyo2o » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:32 am

I've been a fan of Schroder since his Atlanta days, but inserting yourself into the starting lineup now can just cause chemistry issues. Dwight was better than Javale, but you never heard a peep from him about wanting to start.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#36 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:32 am

kblo247 wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

So you are going to force AD to play the 5 despite seeing that him playing most the 4 got him to the playoffs healthy enough to be a 5?

So you are going to play Bron as your 4 despite Bron not liking playing the 4 doing the year?

So you are going to not start Marc despite Marc being a top 5 defensive big in the league last year and better than both Dwight and Javale on that end by a large margin?

Well, yes. Generally i would prefer to start the guys that i expect would finish games.

I get you point, although i dont think you're being all that fair. Its fine that AD wants to play the 4 full time, but the only other rim-protector/defensive anchor we is Marc Gasol, so unless we find another defensive anchor in free agency (which we should - (Dewayne Dedmon?)) i think AD is going to have to play the 5 on defense whenever Marc sits. Especially in lineups with Montrezl and less so with Morris.

Now the easiest solution to Schroeder wanting to start is to let him start and then just bring Wes off the bench, which is perfectly fine.
Schroeder - KCP - Lebron - AD - Gasol
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by lazybatman » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:37 am

heezyo2o wrote:Nothing wrong with Schroder wanting to start, but I doubt that plays any role in what the coaches are thinking. As everyone says, Lebron handles the ball so Schroder will be more effective running point for the 2nd unit. Who else is going to run PnR with Harrell. The Lou/Harrell pick and roll was very effective for the clips and no reason this version can't be with the lakers next season.

Schroder should be more concerned if he's closing out games...which I think will be dependent on his defense.

The Lou - Harrell PnR was just out of this world. Those two were walking 40 pts off the bench for them, which is why Ibaka is never gonna level that production.

I haven't seen Schroeder much, so am curious to see how good he is at the P&R. Even a discounted version of that would be pretty goddamn amazing. Cos Lebron's surely gonna milk Harrell for a few easy assists.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#38 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:40 pm

We could have an entire five man unit of 6MOY candidates come off the bench:

Schröder
Matthews
Pope
Kuzma
Harrell

Edit: that’s a starting five in the EC.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#39 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:28 pm

He can start, but we all know, who is out there on the finish is what counts. From experience with my own eyes, I know who can finish. Come thru in tough situations. So he may start, but ending lineups are subject to change.
Secondly, I had mentioned in previous threads, CHEMISTRY and OOHESION is key to a repeat. Hopefully this aint a start of somethin. Because we al know Bron starts
Lastly, Matthew's gonna fight for time as well
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#40 » by mcscotty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:59 pm

Heard him in an interview say that he would help Lebron with ball handling duties allowing him to take some possessions off. Considering he's solid off ball and can adequately defend the 1, I have no problem with him starting. We can make adjustments for guys like Russ, Steph, and Kyrie if needed.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers