Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#301 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:27 pm

stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:They could also be keeping a few spots open anticipating a Rudy trade. It’s most likely we take back more than we send. If that’s the case having open roster spots makes it easier I believe.

You can have 20 players on the roster in the off-season. You have to cut it to 15 before the season starts.

I am referring to the Jazz having 13 roster spots instead of 15. If they need to trade Gobert because he won’t sign an extension wouldn’t it be easier to make the trade go through if the Jazz have a few open roster spots? Let’s say they trade Gobert for three guys. Then we wouldn’t have to cut or waive anyone on the roster. I could be wrong, but if I understand correct it could mean a trade is just easier in that scenario.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#302 » by stitches » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:30 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:They could also be keeping a few spots open anticipating a Rudy trade. It’s most likely we take back more than we send. If that’s the case having open roster spots makes it easier I believe.

You can have 20 players on the roster in the off-season. You have to cut it to 15 before the season starts.

I am referring to the Jazz having 13 roster spots instead of 15. If they need to trade Gobert because he won’t sign an extension wouldn’t it be easier to make the trade go through if the Jazz have a few open roster spots? Let’s say they trade Gobert for three guys. Then we wouldn’t have to cut or waive anyone on the roster. I could be wrong, but if I understand correct it could mean a trade is just easier in that scenario.

Don't quote me, but I think they had extra spots available even before that trade if such a trade was coming.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#303 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:11 pm

stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:You can have 20 players on the roster in the off-season. You have to cut it to 15 before the season starts.

Don't quote me, but I think they had extra spots available even before that trade if such a trade was coming.

Yup, you have 20 until the season starts.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#304 » by Catchall » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:43 am

Jazz are doing the right thing to try to re-sign Rudy. Even if they ultimately plan to trade him, he has more value if he's locked in on a long-term deal. Also, if the Jazz do end up trading Rudy this year, at least they'll be getting a pick in the 2021 draft instead of this past draft. They also buy some time to get a read on whether Udoka is going to be the real deal.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
D Rog
Junior
And1: 82

Post#305 » by D Rog » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Rudy is one of my all time favorite Jazz guys. I would hate to see him get traded. That being said, if for some reason he gets traded I just hope it is not to the Celtics or Lakers. THE ONLY FUNNY THING about him getting traded to the Celtics this year would be if they won the title with him the same year Hayward left for Charlotte. I still want Rudy to stick around.
stitches
RealGM

Post#306 » by stitches » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Of course we gave them both player options too...

:banghead:
Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#307 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:49 pm

We are the worst negotiating team in the league. Nobody comes back on a discount.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#308 » by babyjax13 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:27 pm

We just signed Romaro Gill - I am guessing to an exhibit 10 contract, but who knows? Not sure why we need another 7-2 monster center.

https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2020/11/seton-hall-7-footer-romaro-gill-hopes-to-hear-his-name-called-at-nba-draft.html

"he’s hoping one team values his skill set enough to select him during the NBA Draft on Nov. 18. His agent, Steve McCaskill, said Toronto, Utah and San Antonio are the teams who seem to like Gill the most."

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#309 » by babyjax13 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:33 pm

Well, I think there is a more optimistic way to look at these signings - we don't mind paying the luxury tax. I don't think Clarkson is being paid more than he's worth in a normal market, and I'd say the same about Favors. If we are willing to go into the luxury tax to keep or add players that we really like, that's a great sign. Not sure why people are excited about trying to duck it.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#310 » by tugs » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:46 am

babyjax13 wrote:We just signed Romaro Gill - I am guessing to an exhibit 10 contract, but who knows? Not sure why we need another 7-2 monster center.

https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2020/11/seton-hall-7-footer-romaro-gill-hopes-to-hear-his-name-called-at-nba-draft.html

"he’s hoping one team values his skill set enough to select him during the NBA Draft on Nov. 18. His agent, Steve McCaskill, said Toronto, Utah and San Antonio are the teams who seem to like Gill the most."
Seems smart and knows his value. Interesting.

But yeah these moves does seem to signal an impending Rudy departure
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#311 » by babyjax13 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:41 am

tugs wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:We just signed Romaro Gill - I am guessing to an exhibit 10 contract, but who knows? Not sure why we need another 7-2 monster center.

Seems smart and knows his value. Interesting.

But yeah these moves does seem to signal an impending Rudy departure

Maybe the idea is to help Rudy develop his finishing near the rim during practices/camp, idk. It does seem possible, but you aren't going to have a competent backup if you trade Rudy. The lack of extension at this point, though, is concerning. He must think he's worth the supermax.

JColl
stitches
RealGM

Post#312 » by stitches » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:59 am

Signings at the bottom of the roster(or maybe even for the Stars roster) rarely mean anything about the very top of the roster. This has nothing to do with Rudy.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#313 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:51 am

The Pistons just waived Zhaire Smith so if we wanted him we could still get him. Also, I didn't know Okobo was waived\let go by the Suns but he's already signed with the Nets.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#314 » by zero24gravity » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:46 pm

Another trade I'm seeing tossed around online is:

Boston gets: Mike Conley
Utah gets: Kemba Walker, 2021 first-round pick, and a 2022 second-round pick

The thought process being that Boston gets out from under Kemba's 3 year max deal, but that Utah would want that 3 year deal is a little odd. Kemba is 3 years younger, but also is having knee issues that will cost him the 1st month of this season. Walker was the PG I wanted even more than Conley last offseason, so my ears are perked, but the Jazz would be tied into some major money the next few years (with Gobert still pending), which I'm not so sure they'd do for another 6' PG who may or may not be able to find a roll next to DM. It's interesting, as I think Walker may be the most underrated guard in the league.... but the money & injury make me skeptical (even with getting a couple draft picks).
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#315 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:56 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Another trade I'm seeing tossed around online is:

Boston gets: Mike Conley
Utah gets: Kemba Walker, 2021 first-round pick, and a 2022 second-round pick

The thought process being that Boston gets out from under Kemba's 3 year max deal, but that Utah would want that 3 year deal is a little odd. Kemba is 3 years younger, but also is having knee issues that will cost him the 1st month of this season. Walker was the PG I wanted even more than Conley last offseason, so my ears are perked, but the Jazz would be tied into some major money the next few years (with Gobert still pending), which I'm not so sure they'd do for another 6' PG who may or may not be able to find a roll next to DM. It's interesting, as I think Walker may be the most underrated guard in the league.... but the money & injury make me skeptical (even with getting a couple draft picks).

The Jazz need to spend money on a big wing or shooting guard and put the ball in Donovan’s hands long term. Kemba is too small. Donovan needs to be the smallest guy in the starting lineup.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#316 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 2, 2020 10:26 am

This is a reverse Celtics-type trade. Somehow the Jazz get the better player in the trade and also draft picks. No way the Celtics do that.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#317 » by stitches » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter

OK, please tell me how DL manages to find the worst deals ? Why did we need to use a 2nd when there were obviously teams willing to sign Tucker for nothing? Is he even calling around to see what's on the table or is he just dealing with the same 4-5 GMs he's close with? CLE, NYK, DET, it's always the same teams we are dealing with and getting fleeced by.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Post#318 » by red4hf » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:49 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

OK, please tell me how DL manages to find the worst deals ? Why did we need to use a 2nd when there were obviously teams willing to sign Tucker for nothing? Is he even calling around to see what's on the table or is he just dealing with the same 4-5 GMs he's close with? CLE, NYK, DET, it's always the same teams we are dealing with and getting fleeced by.

I don't get it, what does LAC being interested in signing Tucker as a free agent have to do with the Jazz trading him? It's pretty obvious that they had no interest in giving anything up to get him.......
stitches
RealGM

Post#319 » by stitches » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:54 pm

red4hf wrote:I don't get it, what does LAC being interested in signing Tucker as a free agent have to do with the Jazz trading him? It's pretty obvious that they had no interest in giving anything up to get him.......

It means there is a team out there who values him enough to give him the exact same contract we had to pay to get rid off. It means if you offer him to them for nothing there is a chance you don't have to give up an asset to get rid off 300K salary.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#320 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Dec 2, 2020 8:56 pm

stitches wrote:
red4hf wrote:I don't get it, what does LAC being interested in signing Tucker as a free agent have to do with the Jazz trading him? It's pretty obvious that they had no interest in giving anything up to get him.......

It means there is a team out there who values him enough to give him the exact same contract we had to pay to get rid off. It means if you offer him to them for nothing there is a chance you don't have to give up an asset to get rid off 300K salary.

I am as mystified as you. They have been giving away 2nd round picks like they are candy on Halloween. They got their #1 free agent priority, Clarkson, but IMO overpaid for him and gave him a player option (bad move). Not sure why they gave Favors a player option as well. Those two contacts are going to create a lot of uncertainty leading up to their extension dates. Don't even get me started on the draft, which I hope I am wrong about. I have been less than impressed with what the Jazz have done this offseason. I hope the team gels and does well, though.

Return to Utah Jazz