ImageImageImageImageImage

WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:28 pm

Let's straighten something up about Wiseman and his track right now.

While I had been touting the kid for almost 2 years, I don't think some of the big time rookie predictions are realistic. I myself am probably reaching a bit thinking that rookie year will have him playing 20-25 minutes per.

Rookie year we should fully expect him to not look for shots. We don't want him posting up or isoing all the time. We don't want him firing up long two's or long 3's. We don't want him taking it into traffic and trouble forcing shots.

What I feel like is the plan for him is this;

1. Run, run, run...out run the other big men you face as much as you can. I want him to chase down blocks on the break. I want him to run the floor and look for lobs from Draymond and Steph.

2. Rebound. With his size and length he should be able to rebound right away. Anything from 7-10 rebounds a game is doable if he can stay out of foul trouble. If he can learn to get the ball out quick, like Draymond does, it will be huge for running and pace.

3. Block/Alter shots. This is a given. He has tremendous length, and appears to have good timing. Anybody coming into his radius will at least be affected by the length. Thats huge because holding teams to crappy shooting percentages was a staple of our great defensive units.

4. Catch lobs. Pick and roll lobs, lobs on the break, back door cuts for lobs, etc. I'm sure Kerr will scheme him up, especially on out of bounds plays. he seems to have really good hands, and Draymond is an expert at the lob.

5. Shoot the wide open look to keep teams honest. By no means am I saying fire away at all times. I'm saying shoot it when you are wide open and teams are sagging off. Its a good shot on the floor and it must be taken. I don't expect any kind of volume in this area, but merely the threat being maintained. Kerr himself said he eventually sees James making teams pay for packing the paint.

6. Screen Setting - This is an area that would have been huge with Klay. The way Steph and Klay operate together has to have capable screen setting in order to get them open. Wiseman should be able to roll to the basket off pick and roll, and eventually work in a pick and pop situation eventually. Initially I dont want him thinking roll and offense, I want him thinking about holding his screen, much like Looney does. Get wide and hold it. Make them have to get around your wide body.

7. Rotations - To me this is gonna be the hardest part right away. Hopefully by the mid season he will be pretty clear on his responsibilities, both on offense and defense.

Overall year one, I expect lots of growing pains. Lots of foul outs and confusion. I don't expect great shooting numbers, but i do expect a good fg% overall. Hes a fantastic finisher. I expect a decent ft%, but maybe not. You just never know once the lights are bright.

By year two and three we should see much more consistency and expansion of his offensive game. Eventually I see All Star with the possibility to be in the upper echelon of players in the league.

Give it some time and enjoy the ride.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#2 » by xdrta+ » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:35 pm

That is a very realistic take, but maybe not enough for some fans (not necessarily anyone here.) This is the age of instant gratification and anything less may cause distress.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,238

Post#3 » by CS707 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:39 pm

I'd be happy if he earns consistent minutes.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#4 » by HiRez » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:46 pm

He's perfectly capable of pulling down 7+ rebounds, getting 1-2 blocks, and putting in 5-10 points on putbacks and lobs in 20+ minutes, right now, and that's already helpful.

The screening is super important, hopefully he can set screens that are a little more Bogut and a little less David Lee.

One more thing I want to see him work on is his outlet passes, he should have a lot of opportunities with him getting boards and you know Steph, Oubre and Wiggins will be off to the races fast. With his size he should be able to get great looks getting long passes out over the top for easy dunks and 3s.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#5 » by TB » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:48 pm

This sounds correct to me.

And I think 20mpg sounds about right. Looking back at one and done centers in the lotto, they all still snagged 15-30 minutes a game (some like Bamba got benched alot, but still was over 15mpg when he played).

If healthy, I expect something like this from the C position (not to mention chriss and loon can play some 4 to free up more minutes for Wiseman or Dray at C):

Chriss - 18 mpg
Wiseman - 18 mpg
Looney - 7 mpg
Dray - 5 mpg

And part of me only thinks Wiseman stays around 20 because I expect Chriss to have a really good year and earn the right to not lose minutes compared to last year. It's pretty crazy to look at Chriss numbers vs someone like Christian Wood who just got paid. Very similar numbers in year 4, with the main differences being that Wood stretches the floor vs Chriss having better passing.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 787

Post#6 » by vagelis » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:59 pm

15ppg, 12rpg, 2bpg
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#7 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:04 pm

Could he be this kind of player by the end of the season?

2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#8 » by Mylie10 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:07 pm

vagelis wrote:15ppg, 12rpg, 2bpg

If he did this ^^^ we will be fighting in the top 4 in the West. Those are great numbers for any rookie. I like where you’re going, but I think it’s a bit unrealistic.

Also, no I don’t expect Andrew Bogut by the end of year one lol
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#9 » by mos_def » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:08 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Could he be this kind of player by the end of the season?

The dunks I can see. Those passes aint happening. Bogut was a very good passer
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#10 » by mos_def » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:19 pm

I expect Wise James to produce the same numbers that Joe Smith did with him doing a behind the back dunk on LeBron much like Webber did to Barkley
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#11 » by Mac1958 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:54 pm

I'm lousy at predictions, but I'm pretty confident in saying that this kid has all the tools, seems to have a good attitude -- and holy crap, he could not have gone to a better organization, with better teammates and role models.

Whatever we get from him, I'd think it would the most that any team could.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 787

Post#12 » by vagelis » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:32 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
vagelis wrote:15ppg, 12rpg, 2bpg

If he did this ^^^ we will be fighting in the top 4 in the West. Those are great numbers for any rookie. I like where you’re going, but I think it’s a bit unrealistic.

Also, no I don’t expect Andrew Bogut by the end of year one lol

Why not? He is 7'1 with good frame and a good athlete. That alone is enough for him to be a productive player.
Catch the lobs and block some shots will be easy for him.
I think he has some skills also he is not only tall and athletic, I think he will be good from the first year, starter for sure.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#13 » by HiRez » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:37 pm

I don't expect the world from him in the first year, my expectations are pretty modest, but if he's not the undisputed starter at C by the end of the year then something has gone terribly wrong. Glad to have Chriss and Looney and Smiley on the team but those aren't the guys you want starting.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 360

Post#14 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:43 pm

I was going to compare him to Javale McGee in terms of using him for his physical tools to start off his rookie season, but holy schmoly.. McGee only averaged under or about 10 mpg, 5-6 ppg, about 3 rpg, and under 1 bpg with the 2 seasons he's been with us.

But, obviously, with Wiseman's potential to shoot, he'll hopefully get more minutes/production.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#15 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:19 pm

Given how little organized basketball Wiseman has played in the last 18 months, and how abbreviated training camp will be (and no summer league, etc.....), I'll be stunned if he doesn't struggle - a lot - for at least the first 1-2 months of the season. I think during that period, I'll just be looking for the periodic highlights and great plays, and hoping he keeps a good attitude. In a sense, I expect he'll have a first season with a trajectory very similar to what Poole had last year - really, really rough for a while, but then looking good for the last part of the season.

We almost might have to look at this 2 half-season, which could look quite different from each other.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,238

Post#16 » by CS707 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:20 pm

Between rookie fouls and having AAU equivalent level exposure to defensive principles I just don't see him getting heavy minutes.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#17 » by northoakland510 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:29 pm

Those are realistic expectations. I think the kid gets 3-5 rebounds a game just for being big. I can see at least 4 points a game off of offensive rebounds. Dwight Howard was 12 and 10 his rookie year, I do not think those numbers are too far fetched.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#18 » by Onus » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:43 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:Given how little organized basketball Wiseman has played in the last 18 months, and how abbreviated training camp will be (and no summer league, etc.....), I'll be stunned if he doesn't struggle - a lot - for at least the first 1-2 months of the season. I think during that period, I'll just be looking for the periodic highlights and great plays, and hoping he keeps a good attitude. In a sense, I expect he'll have a first season with a trajectory very similar to what Poole had last year - really, really rough for a while, but then looking good for the last part of the season.

We almost might have to look at this 2 half-season, which could look quite different from each other.

If he looks as bad as Poole did in the beginning that would be crazy. Poole was horrendous
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#19 » by whatisacenter » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:54 pm

Start slow and see how much he can digest and hopefully finish the season strong. Rookie bigs take a while to develop and don't get a favorable whistle from the refs. Hopefully he becomes a player we all look back on and say that we got the best player in the draft. By the way, I tried to convince myself that I would be happy with Ball or Edwards when we ended up with the 2nd pick but I am soooo freakin happy the Warriors were able to grab Wiseman at 2. With next seasons draft being so loaded at the wing if Wiseman can become the cornerstone big then they can continue to build for the future while competing in the now.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#20 » by northoakland510 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:56 pm

Man I just want to see Warriors basketball, even if it's them just working out.

Return to Golden State Warriors