ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Schröder: Starting job prerequisite for trade with Lakers

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Re: Dennis Schröder: Starting job prerequisite for trade with Lakers 

Post#41 » by MarxyLebronist » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:29 pm

Love his game, love his passion- absolutely perfect addition and love the confidence. Winner's mindset all the way, no branding BS on his mind. Reminds me of peak Rondo actually, though not at all the same sort of lead guard.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#42 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:41 pm

kblo247 wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:This leaves an opening for a possible trade for a point guard. Def include Kuz and Horton Tucker Carlson for DRose.

So address these elephants for me ...

Rose is a worse defender than Kuz, but you want him here? Rose also isn’t wing size so who you replacing Kuz with?

Rose played with big media in NY and left for mental health reasons because the press got to him. How does he handle LA media? How does he handle a fandom Danny Green said got to him with their constant criticism despite Danny playing for pop and being a champion, long before the death threats and bubble struggles?

Rose played with Bron in Cleveland. He called playing with him weird. He was so mentally fried he left the team trying to deal with Bron and Wade and the attention they brought as well as Bron being passive aggressive. Does that magically change when Bron is a Laker, chasing Kobe’s ring count next year, and with the fact the team losing means he go get blame for not being Rondo?

Rose also does not want a trade. Minny offered him one and he said no. Detroit offered him one last year or a buyout like Kieff and he said no. He liked the obscurity and lack of scrutiny and just playing ball. So if he doesn’t want to move and he’s had mental health issues, health issues, defensive issues, and Lebron issues ... what makes you want him?

Since Dennis wants to start we need a second unit point guard

Kuz is expendable at this point

Does Rose have a no trade clause?

Rose would not be the first or second banana on this team so he can stay obscured if he wants

I am a Democrat and one of my work partners is a full on Trump Qanus conspiracy theory weird man but he is entertaining as hell and knows his job so I don’t mind working with him. Winning cures all.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#43 » by MarxyLebronist » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:55 pm

It's a weird year. The fans are not there and so it's just ball.
I think this is Rose's year to make a huge closing statement, and I wish it could be as a Laker. He and Schröder as the lead guard rotation, wow that's good.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 668

Post#44 » by Movics » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:51 am

Didn’t Rose deal with mental health issues and left the Knicks when he was brought up on rape charges?
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#45 » by MarxyLebronist » Wed Dec 2, 2020 2:12 am

Movics wrote:Didn’t Rose deal with mental health issues and left the Knicks when he was brought up on rape charges?

Folks with teams and players themselves would have to determine if he's got the mental fortitude now, as well as the peripheral concerns that may or may not need to be carefully considered/mitigated. Sure looks like he's strong and ready to roll though, the physical work and results are obvious enough. I'd wager he'd not been using any of the performance enhancers and whatnot so many others must be to avoid catastrophic injury (even ankle sprains that were once constant for some reliable popularity-contest-champion players magically disappeared all of a sudden!).

Not clear on your sense of timelines or connections, but he's got a lot of baggage over the years for sure. Indeed, he was accused and acquitted in 2016 (I'm sure I'm not alone in not thinking that an acquittal in court undoes what he did in life, supposedly in 2013 per the public info available). Related, if you'd like to go there, I'll spare you the many many stories folks in Pullman-Moscow will tell of a very very bad guy with very deep league connections and untold riches and success since he was there. All hearsay, naturally, and I won't overstate or cast aspersions beyond that- some get the luxury of forgiveness and guiltless narratives, others do not in the league's PR machine. Funny to track the backgrounds and styles of the propped up PR nice stories and the rest, sort of like how the league is still desperate to salvage the NO market.

Bottom line: Rose has been playing really well and he's fought through a lot beyond his control and worked through a number of personal shortcomings, as well. I'm sure his rumored deep Christian faith has a role, though it's not something I know anything about personally or would speak to. That goes for most of the matters included here in response to the ones you note.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#46 » by stan francisco » Wed Dec 2, 2020 4:18 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:Does Rose have a no trade clause?

Yes, it says ‘can be traded to all NBA teams but the Lakers’. :wave:
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#47 » by lazybatman » Wed Dec 2, 2020 5:52 am

I don't get the obsession with bringing D Rose here. At this point we're stacked on offense -
- Better high volume shooters
- No 1 & 2 6MOTY candidates who both averaged about 19 ppg last year
- A floor spacing big without having to play AD at the 5
- Core team with championship mettle

Barring an injury or a bad Covid break, we should easily add 3-4 points to the 112.1 ppg squad last season, which was blessed with floor clogging bigs and non productive shooters. How does he offer any variety from what Schroeder does at a very high level?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,966

Post#48 » by zimpy27 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 6:02 am

Schroeder should start:

- It's quite easy for him to start and play 32 minutes while being on the court for the first and last 6 minutes of the game.
- Given the condensed season it's likely possible that LeBron sits to rest himself at times, Schroeder starting is good for consistency.
- Schroeder provides secondary ball-handler to improve offensive flow.
- Schroeder and CP3 had best 2-man lineup numbers on the team, indicating they played much better when on court together.

Lakers desperately need more playmaking though. Another playmaking PG is needed to backup Schroeder when LeBron sits or vice versa.

Shabazz Napier, Isaiah Thomas, Mudiay, Yogi Ferrel, Jordan McLaughlin

Which of these guys do people want?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#49 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 6:45 am

Got no particular issue with the concept of Schroder starting. I have a huge issue with him telling us how it's gonna be.

We're not talking Lillard either here folks. This is a nice pick up, and a borderline starter/bench guy. He has no business joining a championship team, and telling us the rules. He playin for us, or for himself?

Starting to not like this guy already.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#50 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:40 am

zimpy27 wrote:Schroeder should start:

- It's quite easy for him to start and play 32 minutes while being on the court for the first and last 6 minutes of the game.
- Given the condensed season it's likely possible that LeBron sits to rest himself at times, Schroeder starting is good for consistency.
- Schroeder provides secondary ball-handler to improve offensive flow.
- Schroeder and CP3 had best 2-man lineup numbers on the team, indicating they played much better when on court together.

Lakers desperately need more playmaking though. Another playmaking PG is needed to backup Schroeder when LeBron sits or vice versa.

Shabazz Napier, Isaiah Thomas, Mudiay, Yogi Ferrel, Jordan McLaughlin

Which of these guys do people want?

I agree. Very easy to slot in Schroeder as a starter and then put KCP at the 2, where he belongs. Ideally Schroeder and Lebron start and close games together and then stagger the rest of their minutes in order to at least have one capable creator on the floor at all times.

Would be nice with an additional ball-handler and there are solid options out there as well.
Shabbaz Napier would be great and i wouldnt mind taking a flier on Isaiah Thomas. Another under-the-radar player could be Shaquille Harrison. He's pretty big as a point guard, but he's been really good in limited minutes.

I do worry a bit about finding minutes for everyone when all are healthy, as i would like to see both Caruso and THT some minutes in the back-court. Neither are classic point guards but with the passing ability of Gasol and Davis i'm sure it'll work.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,255

Post#51 » by heezyo2o » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:44 am

danfantastk32 wrote:Got no particular issue with the concept of Schroder starting. I have a huge issue with him telling us how it's gonna be.

We're not talking Lillard either here folks. This is a nice pick up, and a borderline starter/bench guy. He has no business joining a championship team, and telling us the rules. He playin for us, or for himself?

Starting to not like this guy already.

Yeah nothing wrong with being confident, but this isn't OKC or Atlanta so he should fall in line. He should get starter minutes regardless, so it really shouldn't matter.

Last season, the Lakers were crowded at guard, but you never heard any of those games complain. Never heard Dwight complain about not starting or Kuzma wanting more shots.

I do think however that many times a quote in the media gets taken out of context. If Schroder was asked if he wanted to start and how he thought he could help, it's okay for him to give an honest answer.
heezyo2o
Starter

Post#52 » by heezyo2o » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:47 am

zimpy27 wrote:Lakers desperately need more playmaking though. Another playmaking PG is needed to backup Schroeder when LeBron sits or vice versa.

Or just having Schroder off the bench fixes the need for another playmaker when Lebron rests.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,966

Post#53 » by zimpy27 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:56 am

heezyo2o wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Lakers desperately need more playmaking though. Another playmaking PG is needed to backup Schroeder when LeBron sits or vice versa.

Or just having Schroder off the bench fixes the need for another playmaker when Lebron rests.

Schroeder can't play 48 minutes.. so Lakers need another backup for Schroeder when LeBron doesn't play.

Plus there's legitimately no reason for Schroeder to start on the bench when LeBron plays. If Schroeder plays 32mpg (which he did last season) then he will have 18 minutes overlap with LeBron per game regardless. May as well have that overlap happen at start and end of games to keep everyone happy.

Only reason Rondo came off the bench was because he only played 20mpg.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
heezyo2o
Starter

Post#54 » by heezyo2o » Wed Dec 2, 2020 8:21 am

zimpy27 wrote:
heezyo2o wrote:

Schroeder can't play 48 minutes.. so Lakers need another backup for Schroeder when LeBron doesn't play.

Plus there's legitimately no reason for Schroeder to start on the bench when LeBron plays. If Schroeder plays 32mpg (which he did last season) then he will have 18 minutes overlap with LeBron per game regardless. May as well have that overlap happen at start and end of games to keep everyone happy.

Only reason Rondo came off the bench was because he only played 20mpg.

Another playmaker wouldn't hurt, but Lakers are better off getting another legit center to help out AD or another wing defender IMO.

I wouldn't say they need another PG. Even with rondo playing 20mpg or less and being injured a lot, the Lakers did fine for the most part without him. Harrell can create his own shot and can run PnR with a number of the guards so that should help with playmaking when Lebron rests.

I still prefer Schroder off the bench. Lebron takes his usual rest about halfway into the 1st. Perfect time to sub in Schroder and Harrell
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#55 » by stan francisco » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:16 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:He can start, but we all know, who is out there on the finish is what counts. From experience with my own eyes, I know who can finish. Come thru in tough situations. So he may start, but ending lineups are subject to change.
Secondly, I had mentioned in previous threads, CHEMISTRY and OOHESION is key to a repeat. Hopefully this aint a start of somethin. Because we al know Bron starts
Lastly, Matthew's gonna fight for time as well

Pleasantville problems to have, though.

Both Schröder and Wes will have to beat out AC and KCP for the job. Best of luck. I think Schröder will finish games off but I wouldn’t start him just because he wants to start.

Since Bron handles the ball starting all games, why not start a PG whose playmaking isn’t needed but whose other skills fill all other needs? AC started the NBA finals game 6 for us. We won that game.

Let Schröder orchestrate the second unit, set up easy buckets for Harrell, Kuzma, Matthews, himself and Kostas.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
cashflo
Senior
And1: 130

Post#56 » by cashflo » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:17 pm

Best Starting lineup in the league
Lebron
Ad
Marc
Caruso
Wes

Best bench in the league
Shroder
Montrez
Kuzma/Markief
KCP
THT
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#57 » by MarxyLebronist » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:52 pm

zimpy27 wrote:18 minutes overlap with LeBron per game regardless. May as well have that overlap happen at start and end of games to keep everyone happy.

Exactly- a classic 666 (6 to open each half and 6 to close).
It's rock solid. He's an elite closer, too. Nails under pressure.
He's a Laker for life, that's my take. Everyone's gonna love him once he's in the purple and gold in front of them.
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#58 » by MarxyLebronist » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:59 pm

stan francisco wrote:Pleasantville problems to have, though.

Both Schröder and Wes will have to beat out AC and KCP for the job. Best of luck. I think Schröder will finish games off but I wouldn’t start him just because he wants to start.

One point I really agree with is that Caruso has more than earned full prominence. And in fact, he reminds me more of primetime Lakers Derek Fisher than any other recent-memory player. For all my Schröder stanning and Rose coveting, I couldn't care less if Schröder starts given that he's a 30+ MPG Laker for Life who can close, doesn't rattle, and does just about everything exceedingly well that the team needs from him.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#59 » by Dmagic » Wed Dec 2, 2020 5:17 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Beethoven wrote:I don't see a problem in having him start though. What is the issue here or are we just trying to start an issue?

Gotta earn it. I also think Matthews is a better fit with the starters.

lmao at this comment--bruh wes mathews has probably the most to prove--i don't get the hype--so until he changes my mind--F&*^ HIM
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#60 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Dec 2, 2020 5:20 pm

Here's what I'm sayin, Javale Mcgee started most games last year.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to Los Angeles Lakers