Facundo Campazzo agrees sign with Nuggets

Moderator: THE J0KER

fabio
Veteran
And1: 173

Re: Facundo Campazzo agrees sign with Nuggets 

Post#21 » by fabio » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:33 pm

DaFan334 wrote:
This video give a good look at the type of player we are getting. He could be really interesting. His defense is definitely a concern though.

Defense is one of his strongest points, like most Argentinian guards (including Prigioni), they grow up learning how to defend to compensate for the lack of height
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,327

Post#22 » by DaFan334 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:41 pm

fabio wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:
This video give a good look at the type of player we are getting. He could be really interesting. His defense is definitely a concern though.

Defense is one of his strongest points, like most Argentinian guards (including Prigioni), they grow up learning how to defend to compensate for the lack of height

I was mainly going off the breakdown in that video, which didn't show the best look for his defense. I hope that is very much incorrect.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#23 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:01 pm

Well highlight videos usually display offense so hopefully Fabio is correct here
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#24 » by THE J0KER » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:17 pm

It is always hard to predict the NBA success and transition of the *Euro* guard (he playing in Spain past 7 years) when he comes as 29y old. Milos Teodosic's experience was disappointing, but mostly thank injuries.

Even 10mpg from Campazzo would be a golden benefit for Nuggets if he against opponents' 2nd lineup well manages a small-ball rotation like Campazzo-Harris-Porter-Bol-Green without Murray and Jokic. In that case Jokic and Murray almost the whole playing time will play together. Morris/Dozier doesn't have such passing skills and court vision to handle it without Joker or Jamal, and good passing backup center Plumlee is gone.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#25 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:54 pm

Thank you - I enjoyed watching the game. I've watched Campazzo before, but I took a close look in this game. I'm still not convinced his 3pt shooting will work in the NBA. His release point is a little low and forward. With his height, it might be a problem. But he has a nice step-back and seems to only take open 3s. I think his offense will be fine. I'm still concerned about his defense. He plays defense like a rover and makes steals, but I'm not impressed with his one-on-one defense.

I'll stick with "I like having him on the team and will wait to see how he fits in. He seems to have a high BB-IQ, so I think he'll work out well.
fabio
Veteran

Post#26 » by fabio » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:18 pm

;feature=emb_logo
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#27 » by The Rebel » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:48 pm

fabio wrote:;feature=emb_logo

It seems like you are a big fan of his, so do you mind answering a couple of questions I have about him?

Obviously you already answered the defense question, so we thank you for that.

To me it appears that he plays hard all the time and has some tenacity to him, is that highlights or is he always that way? If he is always that way do his teammates love him or seem distant?

Most of his scoring highlights seem to be at the rim or midrange, is he a good spot up shooter from 3? A lot of guys can be bad shooters off the dribble but much better when playing off ball.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#28 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 4:37 pm

The Rebel wrote:Morris shoots 39.8% on spot up 3s, so while not elite he is pretty close, and Campazzo reportedly is a great midrange shooter, I can see it working on offense. I also agree that they will be undersized and that will hurt us on defense, but we may finally be able to stop those smaller bench scorers like Clarkson.

He's not. He's a really good all-around player, but shooting is his biggest weakness.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#29 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 4:40 pm

DaFan334 wrote:This video give a good look at the type of player we are getting. He could be really interesting. His defense is definitely a concern though.

It shouldn't be. Defense and passing are the two best traits he has as a player. He is very pesky and tenacious on defense. And even though he's only like probably 5-10 or 5-11, he is very athletic, very tough, and very strong. And his motor on both ends of the court is amazing.

He won't be as effective on defense in the NBA though, because the NBA rules don't allow any physicality or contract on ball handlers, like they do in Europe. But still, Campazzo is one of those super annoying little flies on defense.

DaFan334 wrote:I was mainly going off the breakdown in that video, which didn't show the best look for his defense. I hope that is very much incorrect.

Anyone can cherry pick clips and make any player (even Jordan) look bad, and/or create a certain narrative about that player.

For example, that video claims Campazzo is the best point guard outside the NBA. Well, that isn't true. He's one of my favorite players, and he's a very good player for sure, but he's never at any time been the best point guard outside of the NBA. He's also never been the best point guard in Europe either. So I really wouldn't base anything on that video.

NuggetsWY wrote:Thank you - I enjoyed watching the game. I've watched Campazzo before, but I took a close look in this game. I'm still not convinced his 3pt shooting will work in the NBA. His release point is a little low and forward. With his height, it might be a problem. But he has a nice step-back and seems to only take open 3s. I think his offense will be fine. I'm still concerned about his defense. He plays defense like a rover and makes steals, but I'm not impressed with his one-on-one defense.

I'll stick with "I like having him on the team and will wait to see how he fits in. He seems to have a high BB-IQ, so I think he'll work out well.

I've watched Campazzo play for years, both with Argentina's NT and with clubs in Spain. His defense is much better than his shooting.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 389

Post#30 » by Manolito » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:52 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
For example, that video claims Campazzo is the best point guard outside the NBA. Well, that isn't true. He's one of my favorite players, and he's a very good player for sure, but he's never at any time been the best point guard outside of the NBA. He's also never been the best point guard in Europe either. So I really wouldn't base anything on that video.

I have also watched more than one hundred Campazzo´s games and I am absolutely convinced that he was the best point guard outside of the NBA.

We could argue if this was him or Larkin, but apart from him, the rest of the top point guards were clearly a tier below. Teodosic, De Colo, Calathes, Micic, Llull, Rodriguez...even if you want to include Spanoulis, none of these guys had a better performance than Facu in the last two years.

In any case, I expect him to need some months until he is used to NBA quickness and iso game, but without a doubt he will have an important role during play off.

His strong temper will be a great influence in the locker room
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by The Rebel » Wed Dec 2, 2020 11:19 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Morris shoots 39.8% on spot up 3s, so while not elite he is pretty close, and Campazzo reportedly is a great midrange shooter, I can see it working on offense. I also agree that they will be undersized and that will hurt us on defense, but we may finally be able to stop those smaller bench scorers like Clarkson.

He's not. He's a really good all-around player, but shooting is his biggest weakness.

That is too bad, while I think we should have a lot of shooting off the bench to overcome that weakness, it would be nice to have him be dangerous enough to spread out the defense more when he does not have the ball.

Manolito wrote:
In any case, I expect him to need some months until he is used to NBA quickness and iso game, but without a doubt he will have an important role during play off.

His strong temper will be a great influence in the locker room

The Nuggets reportedly are going back to the original Jokic offense of off ball movement and screens with different guys running the pick and Roll with Jokic. A couple of beat writers have reported it in the last few days, so he may not struggle as much in our system.

I do like that he has some fire in him, while Jokic and Murray both play with some emotion it will be nice to have a guy off the bench that can get the bench guys fired up and going when they are having a bad game.
fabio
Veteran

Post#32 » by fabio » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:50 pm

;feature=emb_logo
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#33 » by TunaFish » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
kar-el
Ballboy
And1: 46

Post#34 » by kar-el » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:20 pm

I apologize in advance for my poor english , Argentina bleeds green!!
skywalker33

Post#35 » by skywalker33 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:54 am

I know there is an adjustment period for most Euros to get acclimated to the NBA, but Facu really seems a bit overrated to me right now.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#36 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:42 pm

skywalker33 wrote:I know there is an adjustment period for most Euros to get acclimated to the NBA, but Facu really seems a bit overrated to me right now.

He'd have been great in the 1990s, but the NBA today is different. I love his skills and attitude, but short guards have to be exceptional to make it in the NBA today (see Lillard). I'd say Campazzo would be best as a 10-15 mpg change of pace guard.

Makes me wonder about Markus Howard too. If his shooting is as great as it seems, he can play 10-15 mpg.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by The Rebel » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:36 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:I know there is an adjustment period for most Euros to get acclimated to the NBA, but Facu really seems a bit overrated to me right now.

He'd have been great in the 1990s, but the NBA today is different. I love his skills and attitude, but short guards have to be exceptional to make it in the NBA today (see Lillard). I'd say Campazzo would be best as a 10-15 mpg change of pace guard.

Makes me wonder about Markus Howard too. If his shooting is as great as it seems, he can play 10-15 mpg.

I have a hard time judging Campazzo because it has only been 4 games and he has spent a lot of time trying to guard Fox who is arguably the fastest player in the league but he did nothing against Haliburton and maybe it is just me but he has been very passive on offense. I am willing to give him a few more games, but am starting to think that maybe Hampton should be getting his minutes.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#38 » by guille_4 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 11:18 pm

Yesterday he played the highest amount of minutes (26 minutes). Thoughts so far?
skywalker33

Post#39 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 11:48 pm

guille_4 wrote:Yesterday he played the highest amount of minutes (26 minutes). Thoughts so far?

He's coming around, looks like he could be a good piece of the rotation for us.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by The Rebel » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:32 am

guille_4 wrote:Yesterday he played the highest amount of minutes (26 minutes). Thoughts so far?

I agree with Skywalker, he has looked a lot better these last couple of games and the guys seem to be figuring out how to work with him. He still has his weaknesses but overall I think he is a good rotation guy.

Return to Denver Nuggets