2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#61 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:02 am

Cade has looked pretty ordinary every time I’ve watched him. I didn’t see the second half tonight but judging by his numbers it wasn’t much different than the first.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#62 » by retrobro90 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:18 am

mr570 wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
mr570 wrote:Everyone says he looks like Derrick Rose. He looks like Derrick Rose. :o

That might be pushing it. Rose was in the 0.00000001% of athletes to ever play the PG position. Suggs has great athleticism but he's not in Rose's echelon imo. Will say Suggs' jumper looks much better at this stage. Rose was a two motion shooter with a really flat arc before he started to improve the past couple years as his athleticism waned. Similar to Westbrook I think both Russ/Rose just get too much elevation on their J and it makes their shoulders high/tight. I legitimately think Suggs can be a high level 3pt shooter at the next level given his mechanics and quick release.

Oh you're definitely right. Not near the athleticism of Rose. I don't know enough about shooting mechanics to form my own opinion but your comment in that regard makes sense. I just think that the way Suggs attacks a defense is very similar to Rose. His passing, how he plays the pick and roll. Stylistically, they look very similar to me. But again I'm not a draft guy like you or getrichordie are.

Oh no doubt. They both have the acrobat 2k trophy as far as their archetypes. Suggs even has the same tendency to throw passes after he's left the ground.
Sea2003
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#63 » by Sea2003 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 4:14 am

I've really been impressed with Suggs and Boston early on. Suggs has been otherworldly though. Every part of his game has been on point so far. With Boston, I had concerns with his frail frame as I thought it would hinder parts of his game( mostly his drives) but that hasn't been the case so far. Seeing as to how deep this class is, I wouldn't be mad if we don't land the number one pick.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#64 » by retrobro90 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 4:51 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Cade has looked pretty ordinary every time I’ve watched him. I didn’t see the second half tonight but judging by his numbers it wasn’t much different than the first.

Ordinary maybe seems a little harsh when to me he's sticking out like a sore thumb in their matchups thus far including tonight. I think foul trouble was probably the biggest inhibitor of his first half. He was much better in the 2nd but I thought he probably had the 2nd best performance for a top 20 prospect today behind Mobley's game earlier. Marquette maybe has the most athletic squad they've had in the past ten years and I thought they swarmed Cade from start to finish and did an effective job limiting his attempts.

Like I said earlier I probably have Suggs #1 as of this very early moment in the season but Cade has some seriously impressive body control/poise/IQ/skill and a lot of which I thought he demonstrated tonight. Forced multiple turnovers outside of the 2 steals he had as well. He provides a lot of connective tissue on both ends imo that doesn't directly show up in the stat sheet.

I do think there's some very fair criticisms of Cade when it comes to his ability (or lack thereof) to explode to the rim. There's some real pause there for everyone who's gotten their hopes up in recent years for guys like Fultz/Barrett etc who seemed to suffer from a similar affliction. I do think Cade's top speed (with the ball especially) is impressive in the open floor. It's literally his burst from a standstill that's concerning to me but with momentum it's clear he's someone that can play above the rim and be a big time grab n go threat.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 2, 2020 10:41 am

Spoiler:
retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Cade has looked pretty ordinary every time I’ve watched him. I didn’t see the second half tonight but judging by his numbers it wasn’t much different than the first.

Ordinary maybe seems a little harsh when to me he's sticking out like a sore thumb in their matchups thus far including tonight. I think foul trouble was probably the biggest inhibitor of his first half. He was much better in the 2nd but I thought he probably had the 2nd best performance for a top 20 prospect today behind Mobley's game earlier. Marquette maybe has the most athletic squad they've had in the past ten years and I thought they swarmed Cade from start to finish and did an effective job limiting his attempts.

Like I said earlier I probably have Suggs #1 as of this very early moment in the season but Cade has some seriously impressive body control/poise/IQ/skill and a lot of which I thought he demonstrated tonight. Forced multiple turnovers outside of the 2 steals he had as well. He provides a lot of connective tissue on both ends imo that doesn't directly show up in the stat sheet.

I do think there's some very fair criticisms of Cade when it comes to his ability (or lack thereof) to explode to the rim. There's some real pause there for everyone who's gotten their hopes up in recent years for guys like Fultz/Barrett etc who seemed to suffer from a similar affliction. I do think Cade's top speed (with the ball especially) is impressive in the open floor. It's literally his burst from a standstill that's concerning to me but with momentum it's clear he's someone that can play above the rim and be a big time grab n go threat.

I meant ordinary in the context on comparing him to the other prospects in the draft. It’s only been three games so I’m not panicking. To me he is a jack of all trades player, almost master of some. He makes good, smart passes but so far they haven’t let to a lot of assists. He’s rebounding is solid. Obviously he’s really good at using his size to bully smaller guys but I’m not sure how much of that will translate to the nba. Some of it definitely will but the post ups won’t come near as easy. He does look like he has a physique that in a few years could be like lebron’s once he gets in the weight room.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#66 » by retrobro90 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 2:42 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
retrobro90 wrote:

I meant ordinary in the context on comparing him to the other prospects in the draft. It’s only been three games so I’m not panicking. To me he is a jack of all trades player, almost master of some. He makes good, smart passes but so far they haven’t let to a lot of assists. He’s rebounding is solid. Obviously he’s really good at using his size to bully smaller guys but I’m not sure how much of that will translate to the nba. Some of it definitely will but the post ups won’t come near as easy. He does look like he has a physique that in a few years could be like lebron’s once he gets in the weight room.

Yeah his wide shoulders make me think he's going to eventually have the upper body strength where guys are just going to bounce off him once he puts his head down. I tend to agree about his post ups however I like that he has the chops to play bully ball and can see it implemented the way guys like Tatum/Doncic use it. I don't think it's a tenable/efficient team offense to give Cade a post entry every time and let him make reads out of it but I would rather him have that skill than not have it if that makes sense.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#67 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:29 pm

Having seen him twice now, I think my biggest concern with Cunningham is the handle is sort of loose. He definitely has a tendency to dribble into traffic and lose the ball. it's the sort of thing that young players often struggle with and I don't expect it to be a long-term problem but I could see his rookie season being a bit of a train wreck.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#68 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:44 pm

Early days but it does already seem that Cade has the attitude that guys like Wiggins/Edwards didn't coming out of college - wanting to compete all game regardless of the opponent, and putting equal effort on both ends of the floor.

One thing that is apparent, and I'm hoping it doesn't continue throughout conference play, is that opposing teams are trying to bait him into foul trouble early and often. He's had a number of offensive fouls called against him this season where smaller guards are flopping the moment Cade gets near them, and college refs love to make those calls. It won't be an issue at the next level, but it's clearly frustrated him so far in these games.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#69 » by namlede » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:51 pm

Bj Boston is super raw but extremely talented. If he puts it all together he has #1 option on a contender skill/ athleticism imo

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:59 pm

namlede wrote:Bj Boston is super raw but extremely talented. If he puts it all together he has #1 option on a contender skill/ athleticism imo

He looks like a player I hope struggles and falls outside the top ten. I don't know if he'll be good enough to use a top five pick but he is has a build like KD and Ingram. He'll likely be good at some point.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#71 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 2, 2020 9:28 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
namlede wrote:Bj Boston is super raw but extremely talented. If he puts it all together he has #1 option on a contender skill/ athleticism imo

He looks like a player I hope struggles and falls outside the top ten. I don't know if he'll be good enough to use a top five pick but he is has a build like KD and Ingram. He'll likely be good at some point.
How tall is he by the way? 6'10"?

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 2, 2020 9:39 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

He's listed at 6'7". He looks taller than that to me.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 3, 2020 1:18 am

Read on Twitter

I really hope this guy didn’t just tear his Achilles. He is so talented.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#74 » by spearsy23 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 1:29 am

Can't we sim this season and get to the meat and potatoes?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 3, 2020 1:45 am

Now he’s back in the game. This guy looked like his year was over. Glad he’s ok.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#76 » by namlede » Thu Dec 3, 2020 2:27 am

Suggs has an incredible bball iq, he also has very quick reactions.

Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#77 » by Old Man Game » Thu Dec 3, 2020 4:46 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:He looks like a player I hope struggles and falls outside the top ten. I don't know if he'll be good enough to use a top five pick but he is has a build like KD and Ingram. He'll likely be good at some point.

He's listed at 6'7". He looks taller than that to me.

It is so hard to tell watching these college kids. I remember thinking Perry Jones looked like a legit center at Baylor. In the NBA, yeah, not so much.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 3, 2020 11:49 am

It’s probably not likely to trade up in to the top 5 for a second guy but I do think some good prospects could drop that we could get. If guys like Zaire Williams and Boston underperform in the regular season (a season likely altered by the pandemic) they could be worth the draft assets to move up.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 3, 2020 10:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Dec 6, 2020 12:31 pm

I didn't get a chance to watch OSU last night but Cade's highlights looked really good. His passing and body control remind me of Lebron. He doesn't have Lebron's athleticism but other aspects of his game are similar.

Read on Twitter

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder