Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: Welcome to OKC Aleksej POKUsevski 

Post#61 » by spearsy23 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:35 am

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:This is a difficult thought experiment you all are engaging in here. Part of what made Shaq's athleticism so impressive was just seeing a guy that big move like that, jump that high etc. Would it have seemed impressive if he'd been 6'5"? Objectively compared to other human beings, yes. Compared to numerous other NBA wings though? Seems unlikely.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

Strength is part of athleticism.
Okay, sure. How strong would alternate universe 6'5" Shaq have been? It's unknowable which is why this seems like a difficult question to me.

Re: Poku, he seems especially frail, and lacking in explosiveness in several off these clips I've seen which is what is concerning. Like athletically he may not even be an average athlete. His height will make up for some of that. How much is the question.

Well originally your alternate universe was supposed to have the same athleticism wasn't he? So just as strong, which continues to make him a freak athlete, only now he's a real freak lol

But really we've gone a bit off the rails. My main point was that he has basically a high level high school player's skillset even on his pluses.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#62 » by Old Man Game » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:31 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Strength is part of athleticism.
Okay, sure. How strong would alternate universe 6'5" Shaq have been? It's unknowable which is why this seems like a difficult question to me.

Re: Poku, he seems especially frail, and lacking in explosiveness in several off these clips I've seen which is what is concerning. Like athletically he may not even be an average athlete. His height will make up for some of that. How much is the question.

Well originally your alternate universe was supposed to have the same athleticism wasn't he? So just as strong, which continues to make him a freak athlete, only now he's a real freak lol

But really we've gone a bit off the rails. My main point was that he has basically a high level high school player's skillset even on his pluses.
I think we're in agreement. He reminds me of the old days when guys could get drafted straight out of high school.

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,167

Post#63 » by Mickey8 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:This is a difficult thought experiment you all are engaging in here. Part of what made Shaq's athleticism so impressive was just seeing a guy that big move like that, jump that high etc. Would it have seemed impressive if he'd been 6'5"? Objectively compared to other human beings, yes. Compared to numerous other NBA wings though? Seems unlikely.

Strength is part of athleticism.

Jokic is the least athletic player in the league yet he's one of the most productive players playing in the NBA. OKC shouldn't be concerned about Pokusevksi athleticism , him naturally being thin and not being physically strong to hold on his own , thats the major concern about him right now.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#64 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:57 am

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#65 » by jake_swivel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Heh, from Steven Adams interviews to aleksej interviews. It’s truly a different era.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#66 » by Old Man Game » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:54 am

Solid interview. He seems really dedicated. You gotta like that.

MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#67 » by MoGrAdY » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:19 am

I assumed he would stay overseas but it seems like he might be coming over this season?
mr570
Senior
And1: 291

Post#68 » by mr570 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:34 pm

MoGrAdY wrote:I assumed he would stay overseas but it seems like he might be coming over this season?

Yep. He's going to play immediately. Not start but definitely sees time.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,167

Post#69 » by Mickey8 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:22 pm

There was no point of him staying in Europe if he was picked up that high and team have moved up in the Draft to get him, if he stayed in Greece he would have been stuck in their B Division or loaned to some other team in Greece . At least Thunder can test him right away since team will be bad anyways.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:38 pm

I thought presti’s comments seemed complimentary but not excessive. They almost sounded like Sam was challenging him (in a good way) to put in the work and prove it.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 2, 2020 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#72 » by jake_swivel » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:54 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I thought presti’s comments seemed complimentary but not excessive. They almost sounded like Sam was challenging him (in a good way) to put in the work and prove it.

In combination with what he said draft night regarding the majority of most draft picks not working out, Presti sounded like he was trying to set expectations really low.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 2, 2020 8:02 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I thought presti’s comments seemed complimentary but not excessive. They almost sounded like Sam was challenging him (in a good way) to put in the work and prove it.

In combination with what he said draft night regarding the majority of most draft picks not working out, Presti sounded like he was trying to set expectations really low.

I'm pretty much ready to trade him for Rubio.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#74 » by jake_swivel » Wed Dec 2, 2020 8:09 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

I'm pretty much ready to trade him for Rubio.

:)

I’ve tried to back off my pessimism a bit. I still think a swing for the fences pick was a good idea. And I’m no expert on scouting 17 year olds so maybe his body control has improved a ton. Outside of some great passes and ball handling, he ticks a lot of my “I hate this kind of player” boxes. Wishing I’m wrong.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 3, 2020 10:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#76 » by bwgood77 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 11:59 pm

jake_swivel wrote:

mr570 wrote:
MoGrAdY wrote:I assumed he would stay overseas but it seems like he might be coming over this season?

How much playing time do you think he gets?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:29 am

bwgood77 wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

mr570 wrote:

Probably more minutes than he would get in most other situations. If he does much of anything positive I could see him getting more minutes pretty quickly.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#78 » by bwgood77 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:51 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

mr570 wrote:Yep. He's going to play immediately. Not start but definitely sees time.

Probably more minutes than he would get in most other situations. If he does much of anything positive I could see him getting more minutes pretty quickly.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide whether to draft and stash in a dynasty league. I saw in his earlier play, he did everything...3s, assists, steals, blocks...I just know he will be really raw. But you never know with a lot of the foreign guys..some guys completely bust and some thrive fairly quickly.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:26 am

bwgood77 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, I'm trying to decide whether to draft and stash in a dynasty league. I saw in his earlier play, he did everything...3s, assists, steals, blocks...I just know he will be really raw. But you never know with a lot of the foreign guys..some guys completely bust and some thrive fairly quickly.

Sabonis, Ferguson, Diallo and Bazley all got more minutes than they probably deserved on competitive teams. I can’t imagine that trend changes now that we are rebuilding.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 816

Post#80 » by 1bigfan13 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:24 am

Mickey8 wrote:Jokic is the least athletic player in the league yet he's one of the most productive players playing in the NBA. OKC shouldn't be concerned about Pokusevksi athleticism , him naturally being thin and not being physically strong to hold on his own , thats the major concern about him right now.

He's definitely a bit of a project who's going to probably need at least 2 or 3 full seasons before he starts to fill out both physically and mentally. I'm actually not a fan of OKC taking fliers on these types of players (high school caliber). Because OKC is a small market team I'd rather bring in players who are ready to contribute in the NBA in year one. That way we can at least get 5 quality years out of them before they leave. Lets face it, quality free agents aren't exactly beating down the door to sign in OKC. Even when we were at our height it was a struggle convincing quality free agents to join the team. So I worry about OKC putting themselves in positions where they spend 3 years developing these skilled players who are projects, only to have the player jet via FA or trade right when they've finally developed into a quality player.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder