ImageImage

Westbrook out, Wall in

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Westbrook out, Wall in 

Post#1 » by vtime » Thu Dec 3, 2020 2:37 am

Not sure why we had to trade anybody just because they asked for it, but hope Wall is healthy
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,340

Re: Westbrook out, Wall in 

Post#2 » by jwise44 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 3:58 am

I hope this doesn’t mean harden is out the door. If he is I hope he still goes out and balls and philly implodes so we can get Simmons (though he’d suck with wall)
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,895

Post#3 » by K_chile22 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 5:58 am

This could go well, it could go horribly, but I do know one thing, I won't have to watch another season of Russ so that's a win for me. And a first!
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Thu Dec 3, 2020 2:55 pm

This is a win regardless of what Wall does, the team is better off without Russ always
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#5 » by TMU » Thu Dec 3, 2020 2:56 pm

Awesome trade.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Post#6 » by Invictus88 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:07 am

I heard a rumor on the NBA Locked On podcast: a possible motivation for a Westbrook for Wall trade could be Tilman Fertitta saving $41 million. If Wall doesn't play this year the Rockets could file an insurance claim for the entire amount.

Thoughts?
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#7 » by mcscotty » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:50 pm

Would have been better to gamble on Blake Griffin. Shorter contract and better fit with Harden. Pick up a center and a combo guard and you would have been dangerous.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,895

Post#8 » by K_chile22 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:17 pm

Invictus88 wrote:I heard a rumor on the NBA Locked On podcast: a possible motivation for a Westbrook for Wall trade could be Tilman Fertitta saving $41 million. If Wall doesn't play this year the Rockets could file an insurance claim for the entire amount.

Thoughts?
That's some real galaxy brain thinking. I love dunking on Tilman because he sucks as a human being and owner, but that's just a hilarious reach
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Post#9 » by Invictus88 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 7:35 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:I heard a rumor on the NBA Locked On podcast: a possible motivation for a Westbrook for Wall trade could be Tilman Fertitta saving $41 million. If Wall doesn't play this year the Rockets could file an insurance claim for the entire amount.

Thoughts?
That's some real galaxy brain thinking. I love dunking on Tilman because he sucks as a human being and owner, but that's just a hilarious reach

Completely fair. Thanks for the feedback / take.
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,548

Post#10 » by ken6199 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:07 pm

All started with CP3's contract.

Overpaid his contract - had to get rid of him - soak up WB's contract - WB contract became worse - had to get rid of WB - soak up Wall's contract - (had to get rid of Wall)?
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#11 » by mcscotty » Sat Dec 5, 2020 11:10 am

ken6199 wrote:All started with CP3's contract.

Overpaid his contract - had to get rid of him - soak up WB's contract - WB contract became worse - had to get rid of WB - soak up Wall's contract - (had to get rid of Wall)?

The definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different result. I'd say putting three consecutive $40 million+ point guards to play alongside Harden qualifies as insanity.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#12 » by dlts20 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 10:44 pm

Wiz fan here. Harden will love Wall both on and off the court. Wall is the purest PG in the league next to CP3 and Rondo. Wall gets real assist. He can find guys like a magician.

He was playing at such a high level that people were saying that he was the 2nd best in the east after lebron. People think that he's a career loser when he actually led the Wiz literally one or two games away from the ecf in 3 of 4 years. In 3 of 4 years they took the one seed to 6 and 7 games in the ecsf.

Wall has also had the worst coaching and played in the worst offensive system. He was literally coached to take long 2s. He also has played his whole career with a low post center to clog the lane and most of his career even with low post 4s. He would have killed it with MDA but I believe Silas will do well.

Wall got a big head without accomplishing anything. Got paid, got fat, partied every night, took things for granted. You can tell that he's totally different now. He hit rock bottom. Mom died, everyone calling him a overpaid bum, a million PGs have passed him. He is taking everything seriously now. If he fails, it truly won't be from lack of trying. You will get the best John Wall and Harden will want to play with him. Yall should go get Beasley... Lol

ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,548

Post#13 » by ken6199 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 12:29 am

mcscotty wrote:
ken6199 wrote:All started with CP3's contract.

The definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different result. I'd say putting three consecutive $40 million+ point guards to play alongside Harden qualifies as insanity.

The funny thing is, if these consecutives 40m trades were an act of lets throw sht at the wall and hope it sticks then I would be more acceptable towards those trades. They were not. They were either "oh we look terrible now we need to at least go from terrible to bad which will be an improvement", or "lets pull this trade it's gonna fix everything".

This time last year, if we traded CP3 to the Wizards for Wall, how many picks could we save?
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#14 » by MarxyLebronist » Sun Dec 6, 2020 8:34 pm

I'm just hoping the league doesn't try something lame like direct Harden to the Warriors to help the ratings for all those pre-scheduled nat'l TV games they got. Ridiculous. One thought I had a while back was somehow moving Harden to PHX with Paul. They were great together. He loves Vegas, which is a little closer from PHX, and also maybe being nearer to ASU and LA would make him happy (I'm sure no one really cares about making him happy at this point). Booker's supposed friendship with Towns and Russell could be put to use in MIN. So then it's a question of what comes back for HOU, and it needs to be good enough. The Wall move was a surprise, since it's another ball dominant PG like Westbrook, but it might sort of help on the court actually if he's not just an insurance case like some hypothesized. Seems like a good way to help Wall get value back then move him for more rebuild value next offseason if possible. Still, no idea why MIN took Edwards given who they already have, and he's a perfect rebuild piece for a major overhaul like HOU seems to need. Separate moves of some other veterans obviously next (go ahead and give the Warriors Eric Gordon lol).

Here's what looked great in theory at least:

Booker -> MIN
Harden -> Phoenix
Edwards, all the picks, and a big pile of guys to HOU (I ran a few that worked in various trade machines, Culver-Bridges-Johnson, etc.)
SoulJah
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#15 » by SoulJah » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:40 pm

dlts20 wrote:Wiz fan here. Harden will love Wall both on and off the court. Wall is the purest PG in the league next to CP3 and Rondo. Wall gets real assist. He can find guys like a magician.

He was playing at such a high level that people were saying that he was the 2nd best in the east after lebron. People think that he's a career loser when he actually led the Wiz literally one or two games away from the ecf in 3 of 4 years. In 3 of 4 years they took the one seed to 6 and 7 games in the ecsf.

Wall has also had the worst coaching and played in the worst offensive system. He was literally coached to take long 2s. He also has played his whole career with a low post center to clog the lane and most of his career even with low post 4s. He would have killed it with MDA but I believe Silas will do well.

Wall got a big head without accomplishing anything. Got paid, got fat, partied every night, took things for granted. You can tell that he's totally different now. He hit rock bottom. Mom died, everyone calling him a overpaid bum, a million PGs have passed him. He is taking everything seriously now. If he fails, it truly won't be from lack of trying. You will get the best John Wall and Harden will want to play with him. Yall should go get Beasley... Lol

I love the optimism but you sound like his agent :roll:
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#16 » by BallerTalk » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:18 am

TMU wrote:Awesome trade.

You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#17 » by BallerTalk » Mon May 24, 2021 6:02 am

Watching the Washington v Philly game today reminded me again why, despite the Rockets just having one of the worst seasons in team history, I am so much more optimistic about the team's future now than I was six months ago, before the trade.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#18 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:39 am

Wouldn't trading Wall for Westbrook right now be a net gain overall?

(Even without a pick?)

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
jove9
Starter
And1: 159

Post#19 » by jove9 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:08 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Wouldn't trading Wall for Westbrook right now be a net game overall?

(Even without a pick?)

Sure. For the Lakers. They'd LOVE that trade.

Not sure how it would help HOU at all. The last thing Houston needs is an untradeable ball-dominant turnover prone non-shooter to take minutes away from Green and the rest of the kids.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#20 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Jul 3, 2022 5:49 am

jove9 wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Wouldn't trading Wall for Westbrook right now be a net gain overall?

(Even without a pick?)

Sure. For the Lakers. They'd LOVE that trade.

Not sure how it would help HOU at all. The last thing Houston needs is an untradeable ball-dominant turnover prone non-shooter to take minutes away from Green and the rest of the kids.

At the time I thought Wall was going to sit out another season and collect his whole check. Also, I think there's still a chance Westbrook might've given up more money had the Rockets traded for him and told him they would ask him to sit at home all season.

Every contract is moveable. There would be a better chance at getting involved as a 3rd team in the pending Kevin Durant trade too. Oh well, Fertita saved some money!

Despite your complaints about Westbrook, a couple of his teammates managed to have MVP caliber seasons - KD & PG13. I believe Bradley Beal might've had his best season to date playing next to Westbrook also.

Return to Houston Rockets