ImageImageImageImageImage

Triple Double King Russell Westbrook Appreciation Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Re: Russell Westbrook in DC Appreciation Thread. 

Post#41 » by Frichuela » Fri Dec 4, 2020 8:00 pm

Good write-up on Westbrook’s strengths and weaknesses from a long-standing fan at BF:

Westbrook fan here

First of all sorry for losing John Wall! I’ve gone through the many comments on the trade yesterday and learned that he is beloved in the city for all the good he did and does. So that is certainly a heartfelt loss in that regard. In spite of those emotions attached most Wizards fans seem to welcome the trade and Russell Westbrook which is a pleasure to hear.

What are you getting in return for John Wall and a protected pick? Well, there’s certainties, uncertainties, speculation, possibilities, justified concerns and false narratives so I’m trying to focus on the certainties first:

1) You get tons of positive energy in return but everybody knows that. Russ is gonna push the pace hard and it’s great to see him on a team with a lot of young players. He single-handedly was responsible for a massive boost in pace for Houston as well as OKC. I expect lots of highlight plays between Russ and Rui.
2) You get high-variance in return, the good, the bad and the ugly. Westbrook is gonna make your jaw drop for multiple reasons, in awe, fascination, disbelief or outrage. This one ain’t a false narrative, Westbrook is the guy who is close to a guarantee to keep you in games but he’ll also have stretches where he takes bad shots, goes TOO fast in his dribble or starts ill-advised private battles with an opponent who got into his head (rare, I only recall Rubio and Lillard as ill-advised yet loved his battles with Embiid for example).
3) Defense: high-variance as well. Westbrook is not the guy to call out plays on defense much. He got the tools to be a very good defender on-ball when he puts his mind to it. Last season in Houston he got excellent defensive ratings within the scheme as well. That being said, great defense with him is a rare case, especially during the early stages of the regular season. If he absolutely locks in it’s usually a very important game vs an opponent that’s tough to beat. Two of his best defensive games: at Oracle getting into KD’s grill (and head) and vs the Rockets in crunch time shutting down James Harden completely getting an unlikely win for the Thunder. Westbrook also benefitted from excellent defenders like PJ Tucker and Robert Covington in Houston (Harden was great as well last season). A normal Westbrook game will include all of the good, bad and ugly on defense. He can really bother opposing guards, especially as a help defender reaching in with quick hands. Can rotate quickly and contest but will also ball-watch at times and take too long getting around screens chasing his guy. The bigger the game, the higher the likelihood of getting solid to good defense out of Russ.
4) Rebounding: Beastbrook every game, almost every possession, he’s a monster of a rebounder given his size. Got the timing right, knows how to get position, anticipates well, got enough strength and more often than not will beat guys standing 6’6’’ to 6’10’’. Snatching rebounds from bigs is by and large a false narrative. It was part of OKC’s system in order to get the fast break going. The argument that the fast break would be quicker with Russ already sprinting ahead leaving the rebound to Adams is short-sighted. What happens in those situations is opposing coaches instructing players to cover Westbrook and jump the passing lanes. Adams is great but not nearly a good enough passer or ball handler to work a way around that scheme. Russ getting the rebound himself is highly effective though it’s perfectly fine to run a different strategy. How much did it cost Adams? 2.2 rebounds per 36 minutes, Capela averaged 1.5 rebounds more per 36 with Westbrook around so let’s put this narrative where it belongs. Russ is everything you can wish for as a rebounder.
5) Assists, passing, finding teammates: another surefire strength. Russ is gonna get everyone easy looks. Breaking down defenses for lob passes and wide open 3s. How much of a distributor he is instead of a scorer depends on three factors: how the other team defends (his dribble penetration and the guys on the wing), how efficient he finishes compared to the shooters around (Bertans should get tons of open looks whereas Westbrook will try to finish himself frequently if the open pass is to, say Ish Smith) and how those factors change over the course of a game. I’ve seen countless games where Russ tried to setup shooters for three quarters, they were ice-cold, Thunder fell behind and Russ took more shots himself – or deferred to guys like Abrines or Grant for the game-winning shot when they had shot decent to well.
6) Intangibles: I was pleasantly surprised this was frequently mentioned in the comments here. You get a leader in Westbrook but he’s leading in his own way. The thing that few talk about which I absolutely love about Westbrook: he’s maybe the most resilient guy in the entire league. Dude NEVER ever stops believing. Your team can be down 35 and he may take bad shots but as long as he’s on the court he will **** try and never quit. Never back down. From nobody. Any opponent trying to bully your young guys will hear about it from Russ. He’ll have the back of everyone, not just the players. Same is true for his energy, it’s intoxicating, for fans and for teammates. A team with Russ doesn’t easily fold, at the very least Westbrook will keep fighting (and I fully expect Beal right there with him). Scott Brooks would do well supporting that resilience and demanding it from others. You’re gonna have incredible comebacks, some will fall short as Russ can get you close but he isn’t a reliable clutch shooter (‘cause he can’t reliably shoot, duh). If Beal can be that guy it’s gonna be fun. Maybe some used to tune out of a game the Wizards were trailing by 20+. Don’t, just don’t, you’re gonna regret it more than once.

Enough for now, wish everyone a good weekend and stay safe, hope you don’t mind if I root for your team and spend some time in the comment section
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#42 » by DCZards » Fri Dec 4, 2020 8:21 pm

^^^ Really nice--and balanced--analysis. Thanks for posting.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by Frichuela » Fri Dec 4, 2020 8:24 pm

DCZards wrote:^^^ Really nice--and balanced--analysis. Thanks for posting.

My pleasure. Here is some bonus video analysis from earlier last season:

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,351

Post#44 » by doclinkin » Sat Dec 5, 2020 1:53 am

Not really analysis. 'Fanalysis' I guess you could term it.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#45 » by payitforward » Sat Dec 5, 2020 2:53 am

DCZards wrote:^^^ Really nice--and balanced--analysis. Thanks for posting.

Yeah -- get that guy over here!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#46 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 7:44 am

I'm a Kobe/Laker Fan (not Bron) ...

I've always liked Westbrook and one of my fav players despite all the crap he gets.

I think you guys just might make the finals, will be between 3 teams; Wizards, Nets, Bucks.

I really hope you guys make it because I'm a fan of Westbrook and his style of game.

Hope he proves everyone wrong out in the East.

Goodluck.
Bring back Defense
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#47 » by pcbothwel » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:10 pm

BTW... I love Wall and Im sure he was liked by teammates, but the things I keep hearing about Russ are things I never really heard about Wall. And I dont mean superstars, Im talking young, old, star, journeyman...doesnt matter:

Austin Rivers:
Russ is my favorite teammate I’ve probably ever had. He’s just an amazing guy. One of the most wrongly depicted persons…
I think people portray him in a way that is just totally not him. He’s literally probably the best teammate I’ve ever had in my life. An amazing guy, and an amazing player. It’s been amazing playing with him. He’s incredible. The passion he plays with every night is inspiring. It’s been an amazing process playing with him

Paul George:
Russ is a winner. Russ wants to win, Russ does whatever it takes to win. My time playing with him, Russ doesn’t really have an ego. He puts his ego to the side.
He allowed me to be myself; he allowed me to be comfortable. And I had one of the best [seasons of my career] while playing alongside him. Russ is a heck of a teammate.

Alex Abrines:
He’s a very nice guy. He helped me a lot especially in the first year. In most of our trips we did something together, watch a movie, have dinner. When I went through all this and did not travel with the team, he kept in touch. He asked me to meet him for dinner. He cared for the person beyond the player. He calmly told me what I should do noting that he would support me if I decided to leave.

Anthony Morrow:
On the court, he’s one way. Off the court, one of the most humble guys I’ve been around in my life. You wouldn’t even know he’s a superstar. My girl and his wife are very close. He’s always with family, his wife, his brother, or his dad and mom. Always around his family. I think that says a lot about him as a person.
On the court, he just takes stuff really hard. If he doesn’t play to his standards, it’s almost like he let the team down.

Kanter:
People are saying it’s so hard to play with Russ. Man… this dude, he’s maybe the best teammate I’ve ever played with. He’s a very good dude. I mean, I love him — on the court and off the court. He’s the type of guy that makes himself and everyone else around him better.
While some people say no… to me, yes. He made me so much better — on the court and off the court. He was like a big brother to me.
He will do anything to win. For him, it’s like going to war. He cannot talk to any player he’s playing against. He cannot look at them. He’s all about going out and destroying them

I plan on banging my head against the wall more than a couple times with him and decision making, but Im tired of the inconsistency and empty trash talk. I want a killer.

Welcome to DC Russ
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#48 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:20 pm

pcbothwel wrote:BTW... I love Wall and Im sure he was liked by teammates, but the things I keep hearing about Russ are things I never really heard about Wall. And I dont mean superstars, Im talking young, old, star, journeyman...doesnt matter:

Austin Rivers:
Russ is my favorite teammate I’ve probably ever had. He’s just an amazing guy. One of the most wrongly depicted persons…
I think people portray him in a way that is just totally not him. He’s literally probably the best teammate I’ve ever had in my life. An amazing guy, and an amazing player. It’s been amazing playing with him. He’s incredible. The passion he plays with every night is inspiring. It’s been an amazing process playing with him

Paul George:
Russ is a winner. Russ wants to win, Russ does whatever it takes to win. My time playing with him, Russ doesn’t really have an ego. He puts his ego to the side.
He allowed me to be myself; he allowed me to be comfortable. And I had one of the best [seasons of my career] while playing alongside him. Russ is a heck of a teammate.

Alex Abrines:
He’s a very nice guy. He helped me a lot especially in the first year. In most of our trips we did something together, watch a movie, have dinner. When I went through all this and did not travel with the team, he kept in touch. He asked me to meet him for dinner. He cared for the person beyond the player. He calmly told me what I should do noting that he would support me if I decided to leave.

Anthony Morrow:
On the court, he’s one way. Off the court, one of the most humble guys I’ve been around in my life. You wouldn’t even know he’s a superstar. My girl and his wife are very close. He’s always with family, his wife, his brother, or his dad and mom. Always around his family. I think that says a lot about him as a person.
On the court, he just takes stuff really hard. If he doesn’t play to his standards, it’s almost like he let the team down.

Kanter:
People are saying it’s so hard to play with Russ. Man… this dude, he’s maybe the best teammate I’ve ever played with. He’s a very good dude. I mean, I love him — on the court and off the court. He’s the type of guy that makes himself and everyone else around him better.
While some people say no… to me, yes. He made me so much better — on the court and off the court. He was like a big brother to me.
He will do anything to win. For him, it’s like going to war. He cannot talk to any player he’s playing against. He cannot look at them. He’s all about going out and destroying them

I plan on banging my head against the wall more than a couple times with him and decision making, but Im tired of the inconsistency and empty trash talk. I want a killer.

Welcome to DC Russ

Good post pcbothwel.

It is interesting to hear this kind of praise about Westbrook personally. He seems like a really likeable guy.

Wall is certainly a good man with a heart of gold, we see that in the way he has invested in the community. But I don't get that same sense of love from his teammates. I think his teammates certainly respect Wall's game and his ability to pass the ball, but I haven't seen the type of love for Wall that I see in these Westbrook quotes. I'm just not sure how good of a team leader Wall was. Obviously, I'm on the outside looking in, so I don't really know. It's just my impression.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#49 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:23 pm

pcbothwel wrote:BTW... I love Wall and Im sure he was liked by teammates, but the things I keep hearing about Russ are things I never really heard about Wall. And I dont mean superstars, Im talking young, old, star, journeyman...doesnt matter:

Austin Rivers:

Paul George:

Alex Abrines:

Anthony Morrow:

Kanter:

Welcome to DC Russ

Honestly to me this is one of the best aspects about this trade, the impact it will have on the culture and especially the young players on the team, which we have in spades. It seems like the presence of Beal and now the added presence of Westbrook, two elder statesman who are grounded, will be nothing but a positive. Westbrook appears to be a guy that will build rapports will the younger players and show them how to compete on a nightly basis, not just some games. Wall will always be a part of this franchise, but I can't but help think how many games we lost during his tenure because we took nights off. Hopefully this goes to changing that mentality.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#50 » by DCZards » Sat Dec 5, 2020 5:50 pm

I saw a comment from a former Westbrook teammate who said something along the lines of "opponents know they’ll catch hell from Russ if they even think about messing with one of the young guys on his team." I like that…especially for this team which has so many youngins.

I recall first noticing Westbrook when his UCLA team played in the 2008 Final Four. His team lost to Memphis and Derrick Rose but I remember thinking "Damn! That Westbrook kid plays so freaking hard!" Twelve years later and he continues to play with the same energy and intensity.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#51 » by FAH1223 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 9:58 pm

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#52 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Dec 5, 2020 10:50 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:

Austin Rivers:

Paul George:

Alex Abrines:

Anthony Morrow:

Kanter:

Welcome to DC Russ

Honestly to me this is one of the best aspects about this trade, the impact it will have on the culture and especially the young players on the team, which we have in spades. It seems like the presence of Beal and now the added presence of Westbrook, two elder statesman who are grounded, will be nothing but a positive. Westbrook appears to be a guy that will build rapports will the younger players and show them how to compete on a nightly basis, not just some games. Wall will always be a part of this franchise, but I can't but help think how many games we lost during his tenure because we took nights off. Hopefully this goes to changing that mentality.

I'm really starting to think this Wall for Westbrook trade could prove to be a real coup. Looking at the roster of young talent we've accumulated in Hachimura, Avdija, Bryant, Bonga, Wagner, Robinson, Troy Brown Jr., Winston, Mathews, and to have them led with a core of veterans that now consists of Beal, Westbrook, Lopez, Bertans, Ish Smith... Along with the improved organizational infrastructure. The improved culture and work ethic of this team is definitely heading in the right direction, and I like it! You can see a plan and a methodology coming in to focus.

I think this team could perform a lot better than people are expecting this season.
And I can see this team emerging as a place players will want to come to.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,202

Post#53 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Dec 6, 2020 2:58 am

Spoiler:

Austin Rivers:

Paul George:

Alex Abrines:

Anthony Morrow:

Kanter:

Welcome to DC Russ

I’m not a fan of the way Russ plays but being a good teammate and person off the court is one thing which I’ll defend him to no end. There are many more stories and comments I’ve heard over the years that echo the sentiments above.

His media comments where much more pleasant than we saw the last few years in okc. I’ll be watching lots of wizards this year.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#54 » by payitforward » Sun Dec 6, 2020 3:26 am

"To impact and inspire..." >> I like this guy!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#55 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Dec 6, 2020 3:43 am

Seems like a good guy.

Can’t say I love the Scottie Brooks is a players coach, lets us make mistake thing though.

IMO, Brooks doesn’t seem to really hold his players accountable, especially on the defensive end.

Pop’s players love him ... but I’m not sure too many consider him a players coach.

Jim Zorn was a players coach.
In Rizzo we trust
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,618

Post#56 » by Clav » Sun Dec 6, 2020 9:44 am

Westbrook and Beal seem like the type of fit I've been dreaming of (coming from an OKC fan) ---- and truly this is a great backcourt in the NBA now. Your new dynamic scoring and playmaking 1 with Beal -- who was basically carrying Washington this year with 30+ pt. games, didn't Beal hit 49 and 50 in like two or three games in a row at some point ? I didn't watch much of you guys, but do think this will loosen the offense up. Westbrook will help get those rebounds and allow other players to shine. I mean, it's great to have a guy who can suit up (unlike Wall unfortunately the last years) and really bring it more than Ish, good as he is, Ish is limited. (Russ and Ish, by the way, played on this team together -- https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/2015.html

You know, maybe a few years back now on the OKC side of things, we were all hoping to get a trade to land Beal for the Thunder. We had Oladipo for one year, and (SF/SG) George, but they were more recent... the Thunder - by and large - have not had premier 2-way production from the 2-Guard spot. Hell, old Randy Foye, offensive-liability Roberson, Sefolosha, Lamb, Waiters, Anthony Morrow, etc were most of the SGs before Oladipo and Russ paired up.

Beal was on my wishlist and I did tons of trades on the trade machine to make this work in the past. Here's to hoping it gets Washington a first round win.

I always have lamented my team's choices when Russ and KD needed extra that wing scorer (cough Harden trade/Perkins non-amnesty) and came here to say I'm really excited to watch Washington games more.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#57 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Dec 6, 2020 3:28 pm

Clav wrote:Westbrook and Beal seem like the type of fit I've been dreaming of (coming from an OKC fan) ---- and truly this is a great backcourt in the NBA now. Your new dynamic scoring and playmaking 1 with Beal -- who was basically carrying Washington this year with 30+ pt. games, didn't Beal hit 49 and 50 in like two or three games in a row at some point ? I didn't watch much of you guys, but do think this will loosen the offense up. Westbrook will help get those rebounds and allow other players to shine. I mean, it's great to have a guy who can suit up (unlike Wall unfortunately the last years) and really bring it more than Ish, good as he is, Ish is limited. (Russ and Ish, by the way, played on this team together -- https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/2015.html

You know, maybe a few years back now on the OKC side of things, we were all hoping to get a trade to land Beal for the Thunder. We had Oladipo for one year, and (SF/SG) George, but they were more recent... the Thunder - by and large - have not had premier 2-way production from the 2-Guard spot. Hell, old Randy Foye, offensive-liability Roberson, Sefolosha, Lamb, Waiters, Anthony Morrow, etc were most of the SGs before Oladipo and Russ paired up.

Beal was on my wishlist and I did tons of trades on the trade machine to make this work in the past. Here's to hoping it gets Washington a first round win.

I always have lamented my team's choices when Russ and KD needed extra that wing scorer (cough Harden trade/Perkins non-amnesty) and came here to say I'm really excited to watch Washington games more.

Thanks for the info, and they should be interesting to watch this season. Hey if nothing else, Westbrook is sure to be better than Isaiah Thomas was last season.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Frichuela » Tue Dec 8, 2020 7:10 pm

Good listen.

His priority this off-season has been to improve his defensive impact. Russ being a consistent plus defender this season would make a big difference, particularly in regards to containing dribble penetration and closing in on the 3 point line.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#59 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 7:14 pm

Hopefully Beal worked on the same thing. His defensive impact was a massive net negative last year. Need both of the to prevent off the dribble penetration to be a good defense
DCZards
General Manager

Post#60 » by DCZards » Tue Dec 8, 2020 10:38 pm

NatP4 wrote:Hopefully Beal worked on the same thing. His defensive impact was a massive net negative last year. Need both of the to prevent off the dribble penetration to be a good defense

Beal had a massive offensive load to carry last season. He should be somewhat excused for his subpar D.

Return to Washington Wizards