ImageImageImage

Boston All-Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#1221 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:09 pm

What do you have against Stafford? On a good team he's a top-5 QB without much issue. I suddenly like him more now.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1222 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:21 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Why can't they fix the QB through the draft? They've drafted Brissett, Cassel, Garropolo recently without using a high pick. I trust them to identify QB talent.

And they could just trade for Stafford if Detroit wants to start over. He'd be my target right now. Detroit is in full tank mode and they've already wasted the first 12 years of a HOF-level talent.

Cuz were not going to be picking high enough to get a guy thats ready to step in and play at a high level from day 1.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,311

Post#1223 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:22 pm

jmr07019 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:What a horrible call on the punt return

He blasted him. Just didn't need to lower the shoulder like that.

I guess that's the way of the NFL now. Can't hit too hard or its a penalty. I get it when it's a defenseless receiver looking for the ball but you should be allowed to block someone as hard as you want if they are trying to make a tackle. Luckily it didn't make a difference in the end.

Captain_Caveman wrote:LMAO.

One of the worst offensive performances in a win you will ever, ever see.

84 yards passing and 2 picks for the QB. 3.4 yards per carry and 47 yards for the leading rusher. It's the defense holding the team back tho :lol:

I don't love the call on Jennings, but it was an unnecessary hit. He only had to obstruct him, but he put it in the hands of the refs when he popped him like that.

This myth about the defense being bad is in IMO a remnant of people wildly overrating Cam, and needing to rectify that somehow. The stats do not bear that out. Neither do a majority of the games. They lost too many guys to remain elite, but they are definitely not the big problem. Neither are coaching or special teams. To a lesser extent, neither is the o-line or our RBs.

It's QB, TE, and WR where we are pure ****.
GreenFor3
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#1224 » by GreenFor3 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:22 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:LMAO.

One of the worst offensive performances in a win you will ever, ever see.

Reminds me of the 2016 Giants. 11-5 with a bottom 5 offense where the only play was OBJ taking a slant 60 yards for a TD.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1225 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:What do you have against Stafford? On a good team he's a top-5 QB without much issue. I suddenly like him more now.

No way is Stafford top 5 on any team.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1226 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:30 pm

He's routinely top-5 every year by QBR, QB Rating, whatever QB stat you wanna use. All with zero running game for a decade now. Probably most wasted QB career outside of Rivers. Plus he's tough, durable. One injury in like a decade. If you have Matt Stafford on your team and you don't have a top-5 offense you need to fire the coach.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1227 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:45 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:He's routinely top-5 every year by QBR, QB Rating, whatever QB stat you wanna use. All with zero running game for a decade now. Probably most wasted QB career outside of Rivers. Plus he's tough, durable. One injury in like a decade. If you have Matt Stafford on your team and you don't have a top-5 offense you need to fire the coach.

2020: 23rd QBR, 21st QB Rtg
2019: 6th QBR, 6th QB Rtg
2018: 22nd QBR, 25th QB Rtg

Not feeling it. Maybe on a make-good contract like Cam, but it is still a bridge with a washed up player.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#1228 » by threrf23 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:03 pm

Stafford kinda sucks IMO, one of those guys who wasn't even that good in college but had the right size and the right arm so who cares if he's good. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but IMO Stafford without Calvin Johnson or the equivalent is sort of like Dante Culpepper without Randy Moss.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1229 » by jmr07019 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:48 am

Will we have enough cap space to sign 2 quality WRs ala Golladay and Kupp? If we could pull something like that off the offense is instantly in much better shape. Take a QB of the future in round 1. Bring back Cam on a short term deal. All of a sudden the offense isnt that far away. If we could add one more talent on offense either thru the draft or a guy on the roster taking a big step up we’d be in good shape.
Show Love Spread Love
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1230 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:01 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:He's routinely top-5 every year by QBR, QB Rating, whatever QB stat you wanna use. All with zero running game for a decade now. Probably most wasted QB career outside of Rivers. Plus he's tough, durable. One injury in like a decade. If you have Matt Stafford on your team and you don't have a top-5 offense you need to fire the coach.

2020: 23rd QBR, 21st QB Rtg
2019: 6th QBR, 6th QB Rtg
2018: 22nd QBR, 25th QB Rtg

Not feeling it. Maybe on a make-good contract like Cam, but it is still a bridge with a washed up player.

Yah, after this season I’m done on mediocre at best, washed up at worst QBs. Stafford isnt the answer were looking for.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1231 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:15 am

OK I'm just gonna disagree. Healthy, durable, leads the league in gamewinning drives every year, still only 32. Funny how he hasn't been as effective with Matt Patricia as his head coach.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#1232 » by ParticleMan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:40 pm

so what is the plan next year then? draft a mid-1st qb and throw him into the fire? hope stidham finds his lost mojo? it sure as hell ain't cam v2.0.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1233 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:05 pm

Team already announced that they're going to rob the Lions of Stafford.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,436

Post#1234 » by Saint Lazarus » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:31 am

Bill the GM routinely **** Bill the coach for 20 years. It’s only fair that Bill the coach is **** Bill the GM out of a top pick this season...
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1235 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:43 pm

ParticleMan wrote:so what is the plan next year then? draft a mid-1st qb and throw him into the fire? hope stidham finds his lost mojo? it sure as hell ain't cam v2.0.

Roll most of our cap space next season to the following year. Trade up for Trey Lance. Sign some QB to start for 6 weeks while we ramp him up. Let Lance grow the last 10 games. Enter the following season with a promising QB and hopefully enough cap space to build a serious title contender.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,208

Post#1236 » by Parliament10 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 9:51 pm

We're probably going to beat the Chargers.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,208

Post#1237 » by Parliament10 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 9:54 pm

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1238 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Dec 6, 2020 10:18 pm

Unfortunately even if they win out, they need some other stuff to go their way. Like Las Vegas and Indy to lose. And they both won on last minute miracle nonsense today.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1239 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Dec 6, 2020 11:41 pm

Saint Lazarus wrote:Bill the GM routinely **** Bill the coach for 20 years. It’s only fair that Bill the coach is **** Bill the GM out of a top pick this season...

I don't agree with this at all. Up until this season, the Patriots were an insanely talented and successful team for like 11 straight years during the salary cap era. People look at the draft record as some sort of be-all, end-all, but the truth is, it has been pretty hard to even make our roster until very recently.

JC Jackson is about to become an undrafted All-Pro who replaced another undrafted All-Pro in Malcolm Butler. And yet, people's takeaway is that Belichick sucks as a GM because those guys beat out high picks like Cyrus Jones, Duke Dawson and Joejuan Williams?

I don't even know how to process how insanely terrible a take that is, but the myth that Belichick is somehow not an elite GM needs to die a horrible death immediately, now and forever.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#1240 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Dec 6, 2020 11:51 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:What do you have against Stafford? On a good team he's a top-5 QB without much issue. I suddenly like him more now.

I thought they would've gone after Stafford this offseason, tbh.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.

Return to Boston Celtics