Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,337

Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock 

Post#1 » by fleet » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:04 am

Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Re: Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock 

Post#2 » by fleet » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:10 am

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#3 » by Susan » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:52 am

fleet wrote:
Read on Twitter

Because he's not an offensive genius.

That's why he was so reluctant to give up playcalling duties.

Rather than developing Mitch, he scapegoated him, got his guy in here and then his guy who knew his system turned out to make the offense worse and exposed his system, it was game over for Nagy.

Pace has just been a little bit off. He followed the trend of the Eagles with Nagy in hiring from the Reid tree. Turns out Doug Peterson was a fraud and it was Frank Reich who elevated that team/offense. He missed on Mitch so badly that it's hard to fathom but honestly if we had a decent offensive mind here, Mitch wouldn't have had flamed out so badly.

Sucks they missed but at least we're not in the Eagles shoes right now.

My hope: they lose out - we get a top 7 pick and get a real wunderkind like Joe Brady to develop the offense and we maybe tear down the defense (Hicks, Mack and Fuller for picks).
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#4 » by fleet » Mon Dec 7, 2020 2:02 am

the cap will be down millions by next season. Which is why there will most likely not be takers for Mack's record salary, especially given a decline in raw production. It will be hard to unload salary in general. But things like trade downs for extra picks could be wise to get some extra bodies. I'd be open to trading down the first even in the top 10 if the right QB is not still on the board. But I would like to max the value out for sure with losses. As a habitual tanker, it's in my blood. But also as a habitual tanker, I know my teams don't tank well.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#5 » by CjayC » Mon Dec 7, 2020 2:41 am

Reset button.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,751

Post#6 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 3:11 am

CjayC wrote:Reset button.

Reset may not be possible in this financial climate.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#7 » by TheFinishSniper » Mon Dec 7, 2020 3:16 am

Bears need QB. Getting one should be priority under all costs. I think this experiment last few years under Pace answers that question. There is no point building your team if you dont have QB. You can change coach, get elite FA, get good group of players cost controlled but if you dont have QB you need reset button immediatly.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#8 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 3:23 am

fleet wrote:the cap will be down millions by next season. Which is why there will most likely not be takers for Mack's record salary, especially given a decline in raw production. It will be hard to unload salary in general. But things like trade downs for extra picks could be wise to get some extra bodies. I'd be open to trading down the first even in the top 10 if the right QB is not still on the board. But I would like to max the value out for sure with losses. As a habitual tanker, it's in my blood. But also as a habitual tanker, I know my teams don't tank well.

I saw your post in the other thread. Few things: I don't believe the Bears defense has performed up to the talent it has had the past few years. Pagano runs the defense as if he has no talent on the team. Quinn was a bad acquisition, I could've told you that as a Rams guy, but one reason you would bring him in is to help go after the QB. Mack is at his best when he's allowed to play a hybrid role on both sides of the ball.

The Bears have had way too much talent defensively to not be top 3 the past couple of years. The problem is, everyone is looking at the other hand (offense) when in reality - Bears fans need to look at the whole picture. Bears had an offensive gameplan that everyone has clamored for finally, the defense doesn't show up and Pagano's garbage schemes actually cost them. But people hate Nagy and his playcalling so much, I've heard people say "So what about scoring two rushing TDs, feeding Montgomery, owning the clock, and scoring 30 points; it's still on Nagy."

Fact is, the defense has underachieved for the talent it has on that side of the ball. For as much as Nagy doesn't play to the strengths of the offense (very little there anyway, but oh well), Pagano does a worse job, but the offense is just that bad. In the end, too little too late from Nagy, Pagano should not get another job in the NFL and Pace should go back to being a scout. That's what Bears fans should be hoping for.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#9 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 3:24 am

TheFinishSniper wrote:Bears need QB. Getting one should be priority under all costs. I think this experiment last few years under Pace answers that question. There is no point building your team if you dont have QB. You can change coach, get elite FA, get good group of players cost controlled but if you dont have QB you need reset button immediatly.

They need an OLine. They have no one there.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#10 » by Jcool0 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 3:45 am

nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,880

Post#11 » by nomorezorro » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:06 am

Susan wrote:Pace has just been a little bit off. He followed the trend of the Eagles with Nagy in hiring from the Reid tree. Turns out Doug Peterson was a fraud and it was Frank Reich who elevated that team/offense. He missed on Mitch so badly that it's hard to fathom but honestly if we had a decent offensive mind here, Mitch wouldn't have had flamed out so badly.

My hope: they lose out - we get a top 7 pick and get a real wunderkind like Joe Brady to develop the offense and we maybe tear down the defense (Hicks, Mack and Fuller for picks).

this is straight up insane dude lol

"he blew the coaching hire and the top QB draft pick, but the incredibly bad QB wouldn't be so bad if the coach [that pace hired] wasn't so bad, so it's not pace's fault. also the other bad QB that pace traded for is a sign that the coach [that pace hired] is bad, not pace himself"
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Susan
RealGM

Post#12 » by Susan » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:19 am

nomorezorro wrote:
Susan wrote:Pace has just been a little bit off. He followed the trend of the Eagles with Nagy in hiring from the Reid tree. Turns out Doug Peterson was a fraud and it was Frank Reich who elevated that team/offense. He missed on Mitch so badly that it's hard to fathom but honestly if we had a decent offensive mind here, Mitch wouldn't have had flamed out so badly.

this is straight up insane dude lol

"he blew the coaching hire and the top QB draft pick, but the incredibly bad QB wouldn't be so bad if the coach [that pace hired] wasn't so bad, so it's not pace's fault. also the other bad QB that pace traded for is a sign that the coach [that pace hired] is bad, not pace himself"

Oh I'm fine with Pace getting fired, just lamenting how close it was to working out. If you hit on the QB or hit on the offensive HC - this would have worked. 0/2 pretty much buries Pace, but overall the strategy was sound.

Where do we go from here? Listening to the radio somebody mentioned the Texans old GM and for coaches there was a report that Pat Fitzgerald is going to be a target. The meatball in me wants Harbaugh and Joe Brady appears to be the next McVay.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,880

Post#13 » by nomorezorro » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:29 am

fitzgerald is such a chicago media brain worms candidate. defense-focused big 10 guy who built modest success at a weak program but doesn't really give you any reason to think he'd be a game-changing coach at the next level. if you're cool on nagy, why would you want the team to go after a ~culture guy~ when that was nagy's only undeniable strength for most of his tenure?

joe brady would be cool and i wouldn't be mad about harbaugh even if i'm a lil skeptical. i just hope they don't do the ping-pong **** where they fire the Player-Friendly Offensive Guru and reflexively hire a No-Nonsense Hard Nose Defense Guy to Bring Back Bears Football. honestly, i would rather they go after bieniemy than shy away from the reid coaching tree altogether just because nagy didn't pan out.
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,982

Post#14 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:43 am

No to Pat Fitzgerald.

Don’t know what to think about Harbaugh either anymore.
Kid Icarus
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#15 » by Kid Icarus » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:45 am

Jcool0 wrote:Image

Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#16 » by Payt10 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:52 am

I don't know if there's somebody in the Kyle Shanahan offensive tree who is worthy of a HC job, but that's the kind of offensive system I wish the Bears had.

At first glance, this doesn't seem to be a very good year for head coaching candidates, and there are also plenty of more attractive jobs right now than the Bears job, so there's going to be competition for the top guys.

ATL, DEN, WAS, and DET are all probably looking at taking a quarterback in this draft, and those teams are currently ahead of them in the draft order. We know a quarterback is going #1 and #2, so that means you have 2 left who are worth taking and you have at least 3 or 4 teams still ahead of you who are probably thinking quarterback. CAR could throw a curveball and bail on Bridgewater after the year, but I'm not as sold on that as I am about DET and ATL moving on from Ryan and Stafford.

The Bears really need to lose out to have a chance.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,982

Post#17 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:11 am

nitetrain8603 wrote:
fleet wrote:the cap will be down millions by next season. Which is why there will most likely not be takers for Mack's record salary, especially given a decline in raw production. It will be hard to unload salary in general. But things like trade downs for extra picks could be wise to get some extra bodies. I'd be open to trading down the first even in the top 10 if the right QB is not still on the board. But I would like to max the value out for sure with losses. As a habitual tanker, it's in my blood. But also as a habitual tanker, I know my teams don't tank well.

I saw your post in the other thread. Few things: I don't believe the Bears defense has performed up to the talent it has had the past few years. Pagano runs the defense as if he has no talent on the team. Quinn was a bad acquisition, I could've told you that as a Rams guy, but one reason you would bring him in is to help go after the QB. Mack is at his best when he's allowed to play a hybrid role on both sides of the ball.

The Bears have had way too much talent defensively to not be top 3 the past couple of years. The problem is, everyone is looking at the other hand (offense) when in reality - Bears fans need to look at the whole picture. Bears had an offensive gameplan that everyone has clamored for finally, the defense doesn't show up and Pagano's garbage schemes actually cost them. But people hate Nagy and his playcalling so much, I've heard people say "So what about scoring two rushing TDs, feeding Montgomery, owning the clock, and scoring 30 points; it's still on Nagy."

Fact is, the defense has underachieved for the talent it has on that side of the ball. For as much as Nagy doesn't play to the strengths of the offense (very little there anyway, but oh well), Pagano does a worse job, but the offense is just that bad. In the end, too little too late from Nagy, Pagano should not get another job in the NFL and Pace should go back to being a scout. That's what Bears fans should be hoping for.

Well said. Completely agree. Mack and Quinn have t been to get home and Pagano never blitzes. You have to out pressure on QBs to get turnovers. He sat in a prevent against GB and DET and watched both teams pick us a part.

I liked the offensive game plan. Running game looked strong in first half. Montgomery can play when he’s not hit behind the line every play. Kmet showed he’s an actual NFL TE. Mitch played well except for the fumble that lost the game. Problem is he’s only NFL average when you have a real running game. He’s a game manager that can never go out and win you games or make throws to make plays.

Pace and Nagy both need to go. So does Pagano. Our D has underachieved big time. Losing Goldman hurt us. Last two weeks D has played uninspired. Pagano doesn’t dial anything up.
Susan
RealGM

Post#18 » by Susan » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:47 am

nomorezorro wrote:fitzgerald is such a chicago media brain worms candidate. defense-focused big 10 guy who built modest success at a weak program but doesn't really give you any reason to think he'd be a game-changing coach at the next level. if you're cool on nagy, why would you want the team to go after a ~culture guy~ when that was nagy's only undeniable strength for most of his tenure?

joe brady would be cool and i wouldn't be mad about harbaugh even if i'm a lil skeptical. i just hope they don't do the ping-pong **** where they fire the Player-Friendly Offensive Guru and reflexively hire a No-Nonsense Hard Nose Defense Guy to Bring Back Bears Football. honestly, i would rather they go after bieniemy than shy away from the reid coaching tree altogether just because nagy didn't pan out.

If Harbaugh can bring himself some excellent coordinators I'm cool with it. He was extremely successful in SF and those teams, lol, did play like a tough Chicago Bears football team should play.

I truly don't know about Fitz, I don't follow B10 football that much and he's really just a culture guy like you said.

It really comes down to the coordinators - if you can get Fitzgerald but surround him with elite coordinators then yeah, that'll work but it's almost like the Fox hiring all over again then. The issue here right now isn't the culture, it's the compete lack of offensive cohesion (and the DC is getting exposed here as well which IMO is probably on Nagy as well a bit because he **** threw them under the bus last week). If they went Harbaugh/Fitz and hired a Gary Kubiak type to be the OC (old but successful retread).
Susan
RealGM

Post#19 » by Susan » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:03 am

Payt10 wrote:I don't know if there's somebody in the Kyle Shanahan offensive tree who is worthy of a HC job, but that's the kind of offensive system I wish the Bears had.

At first glance, this doesn't seem to be a very good year for head coaching candidates, and there are also plenty of more attractive jobs right now than the Bears job, so there's going to be competition for the top guys.

ATL, DEN, WAS, and DET are all probably looking at taking a quarterback in this draft, and those teams are currently ahead of them in the draft order. We know a quarterback is going #1 and #2, so that means you have 2 left who are worth taking and you have at least 3 or 4 teams still ahead of you who are probably thinking quarterback. CAR could throw a curveball and bail on Bridgewater after the year, but I'm not as sold on that as I am about DET and ATL moving on from Ryan and Stafford.

The Bears really need to lose out to have a chance.

Atlanta and Detroit aren't taking a QB in the top ten, Denver absolutely will be QB hunting and Washington IMO will be staying away from a QB. Chico already had enough of Haskins and just seems like they're going to be rolling with vet QBs there for the foreseeable future.

The Bears have a legit shot at #7. If the defense has given up after Nagy calling them out last week, there's a good chance they get us to 11 losses.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Post#20 » by patryk7754 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 2:57 pm

So Nagy is fired today right? What’s that 6 in a row? At the very least firing Nagy would be the best way to evaluate Pace until the offseason. If we have Pagano take over HC duties and lazor be the guy for offense and the team performs the same way that we can without a doubt blame paces personnel choices for a lot of the bad on this team. If the offense magically becomes above average I think that might help pace

Return to Chicago Bulls