ImageImageImage

Boston All-Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#1241 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Dec 6, 2020 11:52 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Team already announced that they're going to rob the Lions of Stafford.

Is there any info out there that they will go after Stafford?
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1242 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:00 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Team already announced that they're going to rob the Lions of Stafford.

Is there any info out there that they will go after Stafford?

No I was just kidding. But to me he looks like a trade candidate if they want to go that option. And Lions are probably cleaning house so maybe they want to start over at QB. Whatever they do I trust this staff to identify QB talent.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#1243 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:09 am

Gunner, have yourself a day
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1244 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:09 am

Stidham has a hell of an arm.

They really do like him a lot, just thought Cam at cheap money was a better bet with the personnel of the team.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,221

Post#1245 » by K For Three » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:31 am

Who was that team today and what did they do with the Patriots? :o

NICE game. :rock:
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#1246 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:46 am

The Comedian wrote:Stidham has a hell of an arm.

They really do like him a lot, just thought Cam at cheap money was a better bet with the personnel of the team.

Cam has a noodle arm, but I gotta give it to him, the offense he runs has maximized Damien Harris IMO

I still would rather trade for a guy like Haskins for next year though
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1247 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:58 am

Nice to see a big win but this is another one we probably shouldve tries to lose. 2 games back in the playoffs with 4 to play; a better draft pick should be the goal.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1248 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:00 am

He threw a 13 yard out to an open guy [props to him for looking off their backup safety in a zone] and Gunner made a great play to take it another 25 yards to the house :lol:
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1249 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:06 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

He threw a 13 yard out to an open guy [props to him for looking off their backup safety in a zone] and Gunner made a great play to take it another 25 yards to the house :lol:

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,344

Post#1250 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:58 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Nice to see a big win but this is another one we probably shouldve tries to lose. 2 games back in the playoffs with 4 to play; a better draft pick should be the goal.

Belichick was never going to tank. He is developing young players all over the place.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1251 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:59 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

No sense being so definitive about a young dude who has barely played in his career.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1252 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Dec 7, 2020 2:41 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:Nice to see a big win but this is another one we probably shouldve tries to lose. 2 games back in the playoffs with 4 to play; a better draft pick should be the goal.

Belichick was never going to tank. He is developing young players all over the place.

Not debating that; moreso just frustrated at our QB situation going forward
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1253 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Dec 7, 2020 2:45 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

No sense being so definitive about a young dude who has barely played in his career.

Its not definitive, its just being pragmatic; hit hit an open receiver on a 13 yard out and Gunner made a hell of a play. Kudos to Stidham for looking off the defender [a backup safety in a blowout, to be fair], but lets not pretend the throw was something it wasnt.

Semi-OT but we need to get Gunner the ball in space; he is incredibly shifty in the open field. Reminds me so what of early Edelman. He deserves a chance to develop.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1254 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:02 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Its not definitive, its just being pragmatic; hit hit an open receiver on a 13 yard out and Gunner made a hell of a play. Kudos to Stidham for looking off the defender [a backup safety in a blowout, to be fair], but lets not pretend the throw was something it wasnt.

Semi-OT but we need to get Gunner the ball in space; he is incredibly shifty in the open field. Reminds me so what of early Edelman. He deserves a chance to develop.

I could care less about Stidham, but you can't have it both ways. Saying he is a bust over a garbage time interception, but also that a garbage time TD is meaningless. Like many QBs before him under Belichick, he has barely played at this point in his career. Is he Mallett? Garappolo? I don't think we have any idea at this stage.

Barring somehow acquiring another Brady, I did like the idea of having a rookie scale QB and $20-25m to spend on other positions the next couple of seasons. And still do.

Shoot, Cam is a major net negative this year, and we are still .500.

THAT'S how good Belichick and McDaniels are, lol.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#1255 » by ParticleMan » Mon Dec 7, 2020 8:25 am

in the end i suspect the master plan is that bill felt stidham wasn't ready this year, so he brought in cam for a year to avoid stidham getting his confidence shattered by a disastrous year that belichick knew it was going to be. instead this year he can come in and play his game with no pressure. i suspect we'll see more and more of him over the last few games, especially after we're officially eliminated from the from playoffs. this year was kind of a mess but training camp next year will be jarrett's turn to step it up. cam will be gone and we will have some rookie qb but since we won't have a top pick it won't be a top qb. maybe hoyer will stick around to provide token vet competition, but it will be stidham's job to lose next year.

it's kind of amazing we're 6-6 when we've been playing knute rockne football. the D looks like it has some young bright spots.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1256 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:46 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

I could care less about Stidham, but you can't have it both ways. Saying he is a bust over a garbage time interception, but also that a garbage time TD is meaningless. Like many QBs before him under Belichick, he has barely played at this point in his career. Is he Mallett? Garappolo? I don't think we have any idea at this stage.

Barring somehow acquiring another Brady, I did like the idea of having a rookie scale QB and $20-25m to spend on other positions the next couple of seasons. And still do.

Shoot, Cam is a major net negative this year, and we are still .500.

THAT'S how good Belichick and McDaniels are, lol.

Its not both ways— ill credit him for naking a good throw when he makes one. His TD pass vs KC was impressive and a fantastic throw. Hitting an open receiver on a 13 yard out? Really? Call it what it was, a great pre-throw play to look off their backup safety and the Gunner made a big time play.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1257 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:54 pm

On an incredibly positive note, I have been thrilled with the performance of Kyle Dugger of late. He obviously had a bumpy transition from D2 to the NFL, but he’s been really good the last few weeks. Think he could be a potential stud one day. Josh Uche also had a really good game as well. With Onwenu too, BB had a hell of a draft last year.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#1258 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:58 pm

I just want to state how much of a Damien Harris fan I'm becoming. I'm interested to see what he can do when we have an actual passing game to open things up a little.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1259 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:06 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:On an incredibly positive note, I have been thrilled with the performance of Kyle Dugger of late. He obviously had a bumpy transition from D2 to the NFL, but he’s been really good the last few weeks. Think he could be a potential stud one day. Josh Uche also had a really good game as well. With Onwenu too, BB had a hell of a draft last year.

They badly needed a draft like that. And I think the tight ends deserve another year considering the QB situation, I still like them both.

Dugger is going to be an all pro eventually, IMO.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1260 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:43 pm

The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:On an incredibly positive note, I have been thrilled with the performance of Kyle Dugger of late. He obviously had a bumpy transition from D2 to the NFL, but he’s been really good the last few weeks. Think he could be a potential stud one day. Josh Uche also had a really good game as well. With Onwenu too, BB had a hell of a draft last year.

They badly needed a draft like that. And I think the tight ends deserve another year considering the QB situation, I still like them both.

Dugger is going to be an all pro eventually, IMO.

Would bet a lot we take Freiermuth next year in the draft. Local kid and fits everything we look for in TEs.

Return to Boston Celtics