Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#321 » by babyjax13 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 10:57 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
stitches wrote:
red4hf wrote:I don't get it, what does LAC being interested in signing Tucker as a free agent have to do with the Jazz trading him? It's pretty obvious that they had no interest in giving anything up to get him.......

It means there is a team out there who values him enough to give him the exact same contract we had to pay to get rid off. It means if you offer him to them for nothing there is a chance you don't have to give up an asset to get rid off 300K salary.

I am as mystified as you. They have been giving away 2nd round picks like they are candy on Halloween. They got their #1 free agent priority, Clarkson, but IMO overpaid for him and gave him a player option (bad move). Not sure why they gave Favors a player option as well. Those two contacts are going to create a lot of uncertainty leading up to their extension dates. Don't even get me started on the draft, which I hope I am wrong about. I have been less than impressed with what the Jazz have done this offseason. I hope the team gels and does well, though.

I'd rather trade second rounders than cash. Picks can always be purchased, but once you go over your cash limit, it's gone. IDK it looks bad that LAC signed him but they didn't have the cap space to absorb him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#322 » by Catchall » Wed Dec 2, 2020 11:55 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:
stitches wrote:It means there is a team out there who values him enough to give him the exact same contract we had to pay to get rid off. It means if you offer him to them for nothing there is a chance you don't have to give up an asset to get rid off 300K salary.

I am as mystified as you. They have been giving away 2nd round picks like they are candy on Halloween. They got their #1 free agent priority, Clarkson, but IMO overpaid for him and gave him a player option (bad move). Not sure why they gave Favors a player option as well. Those two contacts are going to create a lot of uncertainty leading up to their extension dates. Don't even get me started on the draft, which I hope I am wrong about. I have been less than impressed with what the Jazz have done this offseason. I hope the team gels and does well, though.

I'd rather trade second rounders than cash. Picks can always be purchased, but once you go over your cash limit, it's gone. IDK it looks bad that LAC signed him but they didn't have the cap space to absorb him.

Clippers are offering Tucker an Exhibit-10 deal, which is likely to lead him back to the G-league.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 976

Post#323 » by red4hf » Thu Dec 3, 2020 11:30 am

stitches wrote:
red4hf wrote:I don't get it, what does LAC being interested in signing Tucker as a free agent have to do with the Jazz trading him? It's pretty obvious that they had no interest in giving anything up to get him.......

It means there is a team out there who values him enough to give him the exact same contract we had to pay to get rid off. It means if you offer him to them for nothing there is a chance you don't have to give up an asset to get rid off 300K salary.

No, it's not what that means at all..... It means there was a team out there willing to sign him as a free agent, period...... It doesn't mean they were willing to do any kind of a deal with the Jazz......
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#324 » by stitches » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:26 pm

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:I am as mystified as you. They have been giving away 2nd round picks like they are candy on Halloween. They got their #1 free agent priority, Clarkson, but IMO overpaid for him and gave him a player option (bad move). Not sure why they gave Favors a player option as well. Those two contacts are going to create a lot of uncertainty leading up to their extension dates. Don't even get me started on the draft, which I hope I am wrong about. I have been less than impressed with what the Jazz have done this offseason. I hope the team gels and does well, though.

Clippers are offering Tucker an Exhibit-10 deal, which is likely to lead him back to the G-league.

I stand corrected on that one. They didn't give him the same deal. I thought they've given him a full roster spot.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#325 » by tugs » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:40 am

Ok this will sound a bit extreme but for that wing position how about:

LANCE STEPHENSON
red4hf

Post#326 » by red4hf » Sat Dec 5, 2020 9:52 am

tugs wrote:Ok this will sound a bit extreme but for that wing position how about:

LANCE STEPHENSON

Who would you take away minutes from for him? Mitchell, Bogdanovic, O'Neale? Not to mention that he hasn't played in a year, and when he did play, he wasn't any good......
tugs
RealGM

Post#327 » by tugs » Sat Dec 5, 2020 10:54 am

red4hf wrote:
tugs wrote:Ok this will sound a bit extreme but for that wing position how about:

LANCE STEPHENSON

Who would you take away minutes from for him? Mitchell, Bogdanovic, O'Neale? Not to mention that he hasn't played in a year, and when he did play, he wasn't any good......
Just for depth actually. He'd be exclusively played at the 3 backing up Royce. I know the competition in Asia isn't at par with the NBA but at least he wasn't dormant and was playing competitively.

Above average defender that gets under people's skin, can create for others, and hit outside shots.

A polarizing figure but can possibly be controlled by Coach Snyder, and he did have a good chemistry with Mike Conley back in Memphis.
red4hf

Post#328 » by red4hf » Sat Dec 5, 2020 11:02 am

tugs wrote:
red4hf wrote:

LANCE STEPHENSON

Just for depth actually. He'd be exclusively played at the 3 backing up Royce. I know the competition in Asia isn't at par with the NBA but at least he wasn't dormant and was playing competitively.

Above average defender that gets under people's skin, can create for others, and hit outside shots.

A polarizing figure but can possibly be controlled by Coach Snyder, and he did have a good chemistry with Mike Conley back in Memphis.

Royce wasn't really playing the 3 last year, Bogdanovic was...... Royce was a makeshift 4...... Jazz are probably going to go with a more traditional 4 this year, be it Favors, Morgan or Brantley (at least for a good part of those minutes at the 4), which means they will need more shooting...... Lance did shoot 37% from 3 his last year in the NBA, but I would rather Bogdanovic and Royce and Ingles get those minutes......And Lance played 26 games for Memphis, so I'm not sure what kind of chemistry he was able to develop with Conley during that short stint.....
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#329 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:40 am

Buddy Hield. If he is available why should the Jazz not pursue him?

My very limited experience watching him he seems like a lights out shooter. I was sort of surprised to see him suggested as someone who is available. Does he suck at defense? Bad attitude?
devilsadvocate9
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#330 » by devilsadvocate9 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 2:29 pm

Thoughts on Larry Nance?
I haven't seen many Cavs games, is he still good? I see him being the perfect athletic stretch 3/4 for Utah

Would this trade be enought to get him?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y4qdog9s

Royce and Azuibike for Nance

Can also include Conley's expiring for Love

We have a great history of trades with Cleveland, can one or two of these two deals happen?

Do you see the Jazz holding onto Conley until he expires? He has a lot of value as a $30Mill expiring contract for a team wanting to dumb salary, it's been said here before we have to trade him to keep that cap hold.
stitches
RealGM

Post#331 » by stitches » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:29 pm

devilsadvocate9 wrote:Thoughts on Larry Nance?
I haven't seen many Cavs games, is he still good? I see him being the perfect athletic stretch 3/4 for Utah

Why would we do that? This is a horrible trade for the Jazz. You very likely are giving up 2 assets that are better individually than Larry Nance and you want to give up BOTH for him? Thanks but not thanks. For either of them... or both of them...

We have a great history of trades with Cleveland, can one or two of these two deals happen?

Do you see the Jazz holding onto Conley until he expires? He has a lot of value as a $30Mill expiring contract for a team wanting to dumb salary, it's been said here before we have to trade him to keep that cap hold.

Why would we do that either? At least Conley's albatross expires after this season. Love's will be there for several more years. I don't want anything to do with that. And again - Conley is very possible the better player too.
stitches
RealGM

Post#332 » by stitches » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:31 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Buddy Hield. If he is available why should the Jazz not pursue him?

My very limited experience watching him he seems like a lights out shooter. I was sort of surprised to see him suggested as someone who is available. Does he suck at defense? Bad attitude?

There is something fishy with him. Also... what would we give up?
Catchall
RealGM

Post#333 » by Catchall » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:22 pm

stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Buddy Hield. If he is available why should the Jazz not pursue him?

Sacramento reportedly wants picks. Salary would mostly be to match.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM

Post#334 » by stitches » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:28 pm

Catchall wrote:
stitches wrote:

That's the thing... we don't have salary to match. Are you giving up Bojan for him? I wouldn't and certainly wouldn't be adding picks to him... are we giving up Conley? Does that one even go through the trade machine? Also, again... I don't want us to keep giving up picks for subs or wasting them on g-league centers. We should start valuing those assets rather than throwing them away like yesterday's paper.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#335 » by Catchall » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:47 pm

stitches wrote:
Catchall wrote:
stitches wrote:There is something fishy with him. Also... what would we give up?

That's the thing... we don't have salary to match. Are you giving up Bojan for him? I wouldn't and certainly wouldn't be adding picks to him... are we giving up Conley? Does that one even go through the trade machine? Also, again... I don't want us to keep giving up picks for subs or wasting them on g-league centers. We should start valuing those assets rather than throwing them away like yesterday's paper.

Hield's new heavy contract is just kicking in. I think the Jazz would need to send Royce and Joe to match salary or involve a 3rd team. I'm not sure I'd want Hield at $23M/year.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM

Post#336 » by stitches » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:55 pm

Catchall wrote:
stitches wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Hield's new heavy contract is just kicking in. I think the Jazz would need to send Royce and Joe to match salary or involve a 3rd team. I'm not sure I'd want Hield at $23M/year.

Why would we give away Royce and Joe for Hield, when you can argue both of them are individually better than Hield? We are not missing scoring! We are missing low usage, good perimeter defender who can shoot... which both Royce and Joe are! I don't get this... if we do this, we surrender any semblance of perimeter defense that we have. We make what is a need now, into a complete and utter disaster.
devilsadvocate9
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#337 » by devilsadvocate9 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 6:08 pm

stitches wrote:
devilsadvocate9 wrote:Thoughts on Larry Nance?

Why would we do that? This is a horrible trade for the Jazz. You very likely are giving up 2 assets that are better individually than Larry Nance and you want to give up BOTH for him? Thanks but not thanks. For either of them... or both of them...

Why would we do that either? At least Conley's albatross expires after this season. Love's will be there for several more years. I don't want anything to do with that. And again - Conley is very possible the better player too.

The idea is that Lance fits better positionally.
Royce is a great player but he's mismatched as a starting 4

The reason to trade Conley is if we don't trade Conley this year, then we lose that cap room for nothing.
Again Love fits positionally better than Conley.

Would anyone here trade Conley for Love straight up?
stitches
RealGM

Post#338 » by stitches » Tue Dec 8, 2020 6:26 pm

devilsadvocate9 wrote:

The reason to trade Conley is if we don't trade Conley this year, then we lose that cap room for nothing.

First on the last question - I probably wouldn't. I think the chance Love is cooked is higher than the chance Conley is cooked and Love has more years on his contract that I don't want us to have on our books.

On the first matter - umh... no? Royce does NOT start at the 4 and in the modern NBA he's not really a mismatch there either. Bojan starts there... or Favors depends on how they work out the rotation. Royce is a wing, who can play 4 in some situations. I don't see any appeal to Lance and I definitely don't think he fits better with this team at any position. He's not a better 4 than Bojan... or Favors... or hell... even Royce or Jingles.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#339 » by zero24gravity » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:36 am

stitches wrote:
devilsadvocate9 wrote:

First on the last question - I probably wouldn't. I think the chance Love is cooked is higher than the chance Conley is cooked and Love has more years on his contract that I don't want us to have on our books.

On the first matter - umh... no? Royce does NOT start at the 4 and in the modern NBA he's not really a mismatch there either. Bojan starts there... or Favors depends on how they work out the rotation. Royce is a wing, who can play 4 in some situations. I don't see any appeal to Lance and I definitely don't think he fits better with this team at any position. He's not a better 4 than Bojan... or Favors... or hell... even Royce or Jingles.

Bojan is a disaster at the 4. Can't rebound, isn't tall or long, doesn't defend that well. He's a 3, and a 2 before a 4. Just my 2 cents.

Do the Jazz even have a 4 on their roster? Niang 3/4 & Brantley 3/4 are probably the closest to it. Then Favors, who is a 5 who can play 4.
tugs
RealGM

Post#340 » by tugs » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:43 am

Yeah have to confirm but I've seen somewhere that Royce starts as the small ball 4, sometimes Joe, not Bojan.

Would be ok with Niang or Morgan as the starting PF this coming season. They need someone who can space the floor.

Return to Utah Jazz