Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Re: Evan Mobley - USC 

Post#61 » by retrobro90 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 1:52 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
I see more of the Jaren Jackson Jr. archetype once he gains another 20+ lbs, but I get that he's more mobile and a better passer than JJJ. It also looks like he can do more in isolation than JJJ.

Jackson Jr better shot blocker, but Mobley is better almost everywhere else

JJJ is obviously also a better shooter and driver. Not really close right now.

Shooter for sure. Mobley's 2 for 3 on the year and he takes a minute to load up. I wouldn't put JJJ in the same conversation as Mobley as a driver though. Mobley with noticeably much better handle and balance. JJJ kinda looks like young Jerami Grant sometimes when he puts it on the deck. I like this comparison overall though. It's funny that when JJJ was a prospect people *cough* Cole Zwicker *cough* touted his defense as if he was the next KG but he ended up (so far) being pretty mediocre on that end. Mobley seems to have some real questions about his strength and IQ on defense so we'll see how they turn out as NBA players.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#62 » by MemphisX » Sat Dec 5, 2020 2:04 am

Read on Twitter

If you don’t watch Jaren, say that...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#63 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 4:25 am

17/6/1 with 4 blocks...at the half

Read on Twitter
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#64 » by MemphisX » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:16 am

Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#65 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:19 am

Even with Cade's big night, Mobley is the best player in this draft. Didnt think anyone could knock me off the Kuminga #1 island but Mobley has. He is just so freaking good at every aspect of the game. Really the only question in my opinion is, is the gap between him and everyone else big enough to take a big over a perimeter player in today's game.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#66 » by MemphisX » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:59 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Even with Cade's big night, Mobley is the best player in this draft. Didnt think anyone could knock me off the Kuminga #1 island but Mobley has. He is just so freaking good at every aspect of the game. Really the only question in my opinion is, is the gap between him and everyone else big enough to take a big over a perimeter player in today's game.

I still think there may be a couple of other players in consideration by season's end (Suggs, Green, Kuminga). However, oversized lead ball handler is just the most valuable archetype in the NBA right now.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#67 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 9, 2020 6:55 am

MemphisX wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Even with Cade's big night, Mobley is the best player in this draft. Didnt think anyone could knock me off the Kuminga #1 island but Mobley has. He is just so freaking good at every aspect of the game. Really the only question in my opinion is, is the gap between him and everyone else big enough to take a big over a perimeter player in today's game.

I still think there may be a couple of other players in consideration by season's end (Suggs, Green, Kuminga). However, oversized lead ball handler is just the most valuable archetype in the NBA right now.

None are as complete or have the same ceiling as Mobley. I know I'm in the minority by not being fully invested in small ball. I completely believe size with skill rules all and I think that's prevelent at any position in the league. Obviously we gotta let this thing flesh out and with the depth in this class you can't really go wrong if you have a pick in the top 6 to 8 but Mobes is pretty special.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#68 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:17 am

Somebody walk me down from the ledge and bring me back to solid footing if I'm going too far with this one. But I have seen a reference or two to this comp.

Are we looking at a potential mod day big fundamentals right now?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#69 » by MemphisX » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:28 am

Marcus wrote:Somebody walk me down from the ledge and bring me back to solid footing if I'm going too far with this one. But I have seen a reference or two to this comp.

That is what I see. Everything from the mean streak combined with the stoic demeanor.

No need to walk you down. He is a perfectly fine choice as the #1 pick.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#70 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:33 am

Marcus wrote:Somebody walk me down from the ledge and bring me back to solid footing if I'm going too far with this one. But I have seen a reference or two to this comp.

To be completely honest with you, Im with you. I wasnt completely sold on him in high school because Im always a little worried about tall lanky bigs making the transition out of high school. Lots of them only dominate because of their size.

Every time I watch Mobley, Im going from this class having a Simmons/KAT level #1 pick, to saying ya this class might just have a Zion/AD/KD level of prospect in it.

Im just not seeing the flaws in his game. The biggest one is strength, but that is less and less important in today's game and he doesnt have a bad frame, he should put on muscle pretty well.

He rebounds well
He protects the rim
He plays good team D
Might not be overly explosive, but damn is he mobile and agile for his size
He passes the ball very well
He has good form on his shot and already showing the 3pt range
He doesnt have to dominate the ball to get his numbers and make an impact
The kid seems to have a great personality and love the game

I want to pump the breaks because it is so early in the season and Im sure as the season goes on some warts will begin to show. But damn what is there not to love with this kid?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#71 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:36 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

To be completely honest with you, Im with you. I wasnt completely sold on him in high school because Im always a little worried about tall lanky bigs making the transition out of high school. Lots of them only dominate because of their size.

Every time I watch Mobley, Im going from this class having a Simmons/KAT level #1 pick, to saying ya this class might just have a Zion/AD/KD level of prospect in it.

Im just not seeing the flaws in his game. The biggest one is strength, but that is less and less important in today's game and he doesnt have a bad frame, he should put on muscle pretty well.

He rebounds well
He protects the rim
He plays good team D

I want to pump the breaks because it is so early in the season and Im sure as the season goes on some warts will begin to show. But damn what is there not to love with this kid?

And I love his assertive when time way of handling things. He works within the flow of the offense but has no problem getting his when he has to. I think right now Cade is sitting number one on most boards strictly off the fact he hasn't done anything to lose that position but the case can easily be made that Mobes is the guy.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#72 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:45 am

This is basically all I need to see from him haha

Read on Twitter

Perfect position on defense and uses his crazy length to steal the inbound. Fast break and USC turns it over, shows his agility/mobility and motor to turn at mid court and sprint back to then block the layup. Grabs the board begins to take the ball upcourt and pushes the ball up court.

The only thing that wouldve made this the perfect sequence is the guy he pushes the ball up to doesnt shoot and waits for Mobley to sprint down and pass it back to him for a 3 haha.

How can you not like this kid. Even in today's game he fits really well. Can hit the 3, can guard in space, is a rim protector, can play within an offense and can pass.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#73 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 7:59 am

i said in the OP he's the best big prospect since Towns but it's probably AD tbh (and no, not counting Zion), people have been sleeping on how good he is and how much of a perfect fit he is for the modern game
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#74 » by PLO » Wed Dec 9, 2020 10:24 am

Hope this guy's body holds together. So smooth.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#75 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:07 pm

Everything looks so easy for him.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#76 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:27 pm

I really don't get why you'd think he is better than Cade, like it's crystal clear obvious that he isn't
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#77 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:28 pm

Marcus wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

None are as complete or have the same ceiling as Mobley. I know I'm in the minority by not being fully invested in small ball. I completely believe size with skill rules all and I think that's prevelent at any position in the league. Obviously we gotta let this thing flesh out and with the depth in this class you can't really go wrong if you have a pick in the top 6 to 8 but Mobes is pretty special.

Cade is 6'7, strong as ****, long, and way more skilled, he is literally the definition of size and skill

You def can go wrong with a pick in the top6-8, this class he 2-3 potential game changers, not 6-8
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:34 pm

Fischella wrote:
Marcus wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

Cade is 6'7, strong as ****, long, and way more skilled, he is literally the definition of size and skill

You def can go wrong with a pick in the top6-8, this class he 2-3 potential game changers, not 6-8

The post I was responding to said Suggs, Green, and Kuminga nothing about Cade. I agree that Cade is all those things you stated.
Watch More Basketball

Sea2003
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#79 » by Sea2003 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:27 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

He rebounds well
He protects the rim
He plays good team D

Totaly with you. I too was really skeptical about Mobley heading into the season. I think as of right now, he's the clear cut number 2 prospect. But while he may have the most potential in this class, I just don't think there's any way you can pass on Cade.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#80 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:29 pm

Fischella wrote:

I really don't get why you'd think he is better than Cade, like it's crystal clear obvious that he isn't

I mean obviously it's not crystal clear because there are multiple people on here questioning it.

Return to NBA Draft